Options

Nike Free

Comments

• Options
    Just tried tearing it on mine, its quite tough.
  • Options
    Ordered mine today - will probably wear them at work.
  • Options
    I'm building up to that - wouldn't recommend starting with it though straight off.
  • Options
    I succumbed to a pair from <whispers>JJB Sports</whispers> last weekend. Went for the men's black rather than the girly blue or men's grey. I'm finding them very comfy for walking in, a *lot* more cushioned than I envisioned, to be honest. But it's going to be a while before I run in them, as I'm still only managing 4 or 5 mile runs at the moment, getting back to fitness after a cracked rib. I want to get my fitness back to a decent level before I can factor in short runs in the Frees.

I do share the worry about the heel bit, I'm not entirely sure whether it grips my heel well enough for running? I did go for my usual shoe size rather than my usual *running* shoe size, as I assumed they're supposed to be closer fitting, but still that squidgy material round the back of the heel feels strange.
  • Options
    quimmby, are you m or f ? If f and rejected the nasty girly blue, it may be that the men's fit is too wide at the heel for you, as the heel on mine feels fine for running. Also I was told or read that the f version has more grooves and is more flexible cos f's feet are supposed to be more flexible (??)
  • Options
    If you look on the Nike website, they have a training program designed for using the frees. It looks basic & has three levels, but I guess a good place to start.

Speedie, I've designed a nice Kenyan coloured shoe, very tempting indeed!!!
  • Options
    BT when mine arrive I will give them ago for a few weeks if I feel there the bees knees then I will order from Nike.com and make my own colour style.
  • Options
    I seem to have come in late on this thread.

Could someone please explain the concept behind the shoes.

Does it make a difference if you are neutral/pronator etc.

What should they be used for racing/training how long race/training runs.

Can't believe i have missed another inovation!!!

• Options
    Tigger's mate, I am indeed female, but I've worn other men's Nikes without problem. I'll see how I get on - if I have a problem running in them I can always stick with the men's for walking and treat myself to a new pair for running!
  • Options
    Keith, the Free's are foot strengthening shoes.
    This means that the muscles in your feet that are usually stuffed into stability, cushioned, neutral or pronator shoes etc are not getting good natural movement, so therefore have become weaker than they should be.
    The foot is designed to work without shoes, yet most off us spend a large part of our days in shoes.
    OK, it's never going to be possible for us to go to work without shoes, & walking barefoot on concrete is not good either.

If you put a knee support on your leg, it will support you knee, you muscles will think, "this is good I'll stop working so hard" they then become weaker.
    It's the same for you feet.

The idea behind the Frees is that they mimic barefoot running/walking, so strengthen our feet.

Now what were trying to find out on this thread, is do they work!
    Rather than being told they do & just accepting it.

So from Monday I plan to follow Nike's hardest training guide [on the Nike.com website] for them & see what happens.
    Seams the fairest way to finding out what happens & makes it interesting!!!
  • Options
    Hi Tim,

if they work will it mean, cushioning, support and stability shoes will be gone forever?

cheers tim, keep us posted.

• Options
    What's the difference between these and the Masia Mara MBT shoes? Are they supposed to achieve the same thing?
  • Options
    Mrs P: As I understand it, MBT have an uneven sole that is supposed to simulate a more natural surface when you walk on manmade surfaces like concrete, whereas the frees are designed to allow your feet to feel the actual surface you are on.

MBTs do not make sense to me as they sound like they would increase the discrepancy between what the eye sees & what the brain gets from the feet. So, whilst they may build up muscles in the foot, I am not convinced they are the best solution.
  • Options
    Keith, we hope so!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    presumably people are still running in their normal shoes though...? Though in theory wouldn't this undo all the good work done when wearing the Free's?

I wear the 'man' grey ones and am going to get 'man' black ones. Is this going to teach the muscles the wrong things since I am not a man?!

And.... I don't like wearing them around the house much as my feet get quite hot and I can't put my feet up on the sofa then either. So, do I go back to my fluffy slippers, or should I just try and walk on my hands?!?!?

And (sorry, questions, questions!) if this does mean the end of stability, motion and support shoes, will we all be running around in Nike Free's for all running? I don't fancy doing off road in them.....

Or will we all be wearing neutral shoes?

I guess the test will be when I go to Run and Become in summer and they tell me I need a neutral shoe rather than stability......??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Options
    Thanks RFB. And of course, the cost is different too...

I have designed my own pair on the Nike website... now all I need to do is try on a pair in a shop, work out what size and then order them (who wants girly, dirt-attracting pale blue?!!).

• Options
    LOL....I was buying new running shoes yesterday and was shown Nike's

Option 1: pale blue, girly, dirt attracting

Option 2: white with bright pink Nike 'tick'....with bright pink squares on the soles.....uuuuurrrgh.

Bought Asics!
  • Options
    Read this thread with interest. Am all for strengthening my feet.

I wonder, as I have semi-recently resolved a knee issue with Asic 2100s and Profeet insoles, if I try Nike Free for general use and the gym, will I then need to change my long distance running shoes (again)?
  • Options
    I hate the fact that companies seem to think women want pastle coloured training shoes...the problem with them...they attract and show dirt the minute you step out the door!

Just designed myself a pair of Free's on the website for a purchase at a later date, gone with what I know best...predominatly black with the occassional bit of white and designed for women's feet in a size 8

Huzzah! I can finally get shoes designed for my feet and not have to put up with shoes designed for men just because I have big feet!
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me if these are available in the US?? Was going to buy a pair at the Nike stand at the London expo but found the salesman just a little off putting. Especially when I said I could get a pair from US.
    Also the £50 price tag didn't help
    But have a family member going to the US in 2 weeks so was going to ask them to get me a pair!!!
    I only ask as the salesman at London said only available in the UK at present!!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that the Nike bloke at the expo put you off (hope it wasn't me!!).What did he look like?
    Not actually sure you can buy FREE in America but would assume so, as new Nike technology tends to come out there first.
    Make sure you know your size first though.

Steve
    Nike Bowerman Trials Manager
  • Options
    Sensible

Can't remeber to much about him to be honest he mentioned that he was down in London till the Saturday and then straight off home but other than that can't even remember his name.
    Try the hard sell technique just a little too much for my likeing. Got the feeling he was kicked out of double glazing school for being too pushy.
    Do like the shoes and will more than likely buy a pair but just trying to save a few quid

By the way what do you do with all the shoes that were tested at London??
  • Options
    tried mine for one mile on the tready on Sunday - only meant to do about half a k but I was feeling good :o)

Got slightly sore calves and tired bottom of the feet, and get the feeling at the moment I'm rolling in a bit as I'm a bit sore on the otuside of my hips where the ITB passes over the boney bit (greater trochanter). Felt good though - seemed to be striking the ground further forward on the foot

Back for another go in a day or two :o)
  • Options
    sensible - please can you forward all the comments about us women not liking girlie dirty pale blue shoes to whoever in authority will make use of it ? They could at least add one dark colour to their standard repertoire.
  • Options
    TM Roo - Comments duly noted!!! All feedback is useful, be it positive or negative. Did you see the purple/lilac colour that was also available at expo?

Slowfoot - At least that confirms it wasn't me, I stayed til the Sunday to watch the race!!Sorry again that he seemed pushy, the whole idea of the FREE area of the stand was simply to talk about the shoe and get people thinking about the concept.
  • Options
    My wife has just started running (well, walking/ running). Would these make a good first shoe?
  • Options
    FMG, can't see why not. By all accounts, we are all having to get used to them so your wife may as well start with them and ween herself on to "normal" running shoes. Rather than vice versa.
  • Options
    Sensible, I was told a week later by the Midland rep who was working on the stand that the purple colour was available, but all the ones on the rack were blue so I assumed it was the only colour available.

Anyhow, i now have a much more serious problem. Can you help, Sensible:-

Only a few days ago we were discussing here how the fabric at the back of the shoe looked rather flimsy, and the general consensus was that it would be much tougher than it looked. Well, it isn't! As i've said I bought mine at the FLM expo, - three and a half weeks ago -. I've been wearing them quite a lot, at work, standing doing massage, and for walking the dog, c 40 mins part tarmac, part grass each day, with a bit of gentle bounding, hopping, but only for 3 weeks!. This morning I noticed that the fabric on both feet was tearing away from the sole.

That is bad enough, but I thought I'd have no problem from Nike, getting them looked at and replaced. I began by phoning my local running shop, who gave me a number which turned out to be for dealers only. They then gave me two other numbers which weren't right. While waiting for them to phone back with a fourth number I phoned the other local running shop. They told me to phone the Nike shop in the centre of Birmingham (by far the most helpful, and assistant admitted tahy had had problem with the fabric)> She told me that the expo stand was franchised to Niketown in London. They told me that if I had the receipt I could send them to them, but if I didn't i should phone another number, who had a answerpnone saying to return them to the reatiler I bought them from...... Obviously I should have kept the receipt, and I'll go and have a look, but I bought loads of stuff and the expo, and fear I may not be able to find it, and in any case it is not clear who I should take them back to..... Please sensible, help
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Oh no!! The material is going to break!!!! I am slightly less interested in getting a second pair now.... I KNEW it though!

I am not wearing mine as much as TMR mind. If I had a second pair, I would want to wear them in work though. Oh, what a pickle! I hope it gets sorted Roo!