Options

Sub 2:45 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    Further update - yesterday's run was pap. Knee started hurting just after a mile, so chucked it in right then as no point in pushing things. Doing my exercises and my stretches, so hopefully things will improve soon, but my "big target" race of Garden City 10 next Sunday is clearly not going to be happening.
  • Options
    Haven't read all the posts here, but thought I'd just put in a word for negative splits. My sub2.45 was run as 1.22.50 then 1.20.30 (=2.43.20).

With london's fast 3rd mile I think such a big negative split is unrealistic but I would still recommend planning to go through half way at over half of target time (eg 1.23 / 1.22). You really need your strength in the closing 10k, and I think a steady start followed by a lot of overtaking is the best way to go through the 20m point feeling strong and upbeat.

I won't run FLM in 2006 (son's birthday), but may well find another spring marathon so I can join in the training process. Good luck to you all.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Bit of a slack week last week in terms of number of runs and mileage, but I did manage to fit in a couple of fell runs as we were up in the Lake District. One really lovely two hour number just south-west of Ullswater which actually had a fair bit of walking thanks to the slopes involved (see the contour lines! http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=342455&Y=515500&A=Y&Z=4 )

Anyway it got me thinking about hills and strengthening. Most of my runs back here in W.London are completely flat being along the river or canal, with the odd trip down to the undulations of Richmond Park for a change of scene.

Could this be holding back the training? Of course you can up the speed to increase intensity but I'm concerned that with all those miles, some ought to incorporate something other than just speed variation to make the most of the training time.
  • Options
    Good question on hills. Lydiard advocated a whole month section of hill strengthening. but the play no part in Hadd's programme, which focuses on the lactate threshold.
  • Options
    I have this mantra (ideally to be chanted while running) which goes "Hills are our friend - they make us strong". Essential for me to have at least one run with substantial hilliness per week (not necessarily a "hill session" as such). Definitely a weakness of the Hadd approach, in my opinion. Even Richmond Park has enough hilliness to qualify, if you were to run some reps.

I was in Cornwall last week and, on the runs of 12 miles or so that I did across Bodmin Moors, I accumulated something like 2,000ft of climbing. Brilliant!
  • Options
    Further thoughts on the Hadd approach (so far as it is documented). It's a very good exposition of how to achieve cardiovascular improvement, but is silent on the requirements of leg strength, core stability, leg speed and the requirements of racing generally. I'm sure Mr Hadd himself would not forget these things, but people who solely apply the (documented parts of the) Hadd approach run the risk, I think, of neglecting the other requirements. This can result in people with a strong engine, good fuel economy but a weak chassis and inadequate gearing, to use a car analogy!
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Running Bear - interesting analogy - I recall Pantman, the doyen of the Hadd approach, lamenting the weakness of his chassis after breaking down in last years Folkestone 10M.

BR, in his later writings, Lydiard placed less emphasis on the hill training phase, as it did tend to cause injury (propably the downhill bits of running!). I live in the flatlands of Lincolnshire - the steepest hill I run up is out of the pedestrian subway under the A17. My ability to cope with hills in races is determined by how fit I am (miles and pace of miles run) rather than how much hill work I do. However I think the major benefit of hill training is the ability to stimulate VO2max without having to run injury inducingly fast in training

• Options
    Tom
    If I neglect hill running, I find that I get hamstring/piriformis/sciatic problems due to compensating for weak gluteals (in particular).

Apart from that, you can't beat the enjoyment of the view you get after running up a decent hill!

With reference to the injury risks, I try and find routes that take me up the steep side of a slope and down a longer, more gentle slope. I think that running down gentle slopes is actually also good for you. The Lydiard hill circuits were designed that way, as I understand it.
  • Options
    Tom - I agree entirely.

THUD!

So the argument `how can you tackle hills in a race if you haven't practised them in training' is bunkum?

Pantman, who you mention, has taken to training on a .75 mile hill to strengthen his legs and to create higher HR training without running `injury inducing fast'.

Personally I love hills and have always been very strong on them. The hillier the race the better I do compared to rivals.

RB - Hadd does cover the aspects you mention, but as you say his article is focused on improving aerobic endurance.
  • Options
    Oh the irony of it! Finally get round to looking out this forum over lunch as I picked up an injury at the w/end, and the physio doesn't want me to run until I see her tomorrow. Still, surprised she didn't already have me booked in for an appointment as I'm due to run Abingdon next month, and it's usually around the 5-weeks-to-go time that I phone her in a panic (both FLM and Abingdon last year). Having said that, it's more a "here-we-go-again-but-it'll-be-alright-on-the-night" feel than a panic this time. Hoping to go under 2:45 next month although it won't be the smoothest of buildups. If not, then I'll be frequenting this forum and relying on the GFA place to see you at FLM06.

From the earlier part of this discussion, I agree that the predictive time charts don't suit all. My performance at longer distances has always tended to outperform the estimates based on the mid-distances (or perhaps I just never did enough speed work before). For the record, taken 8-9% off last years PB's for 5k-1/2M this year hence the 2:45 goal):-

5k 16:29 Jun 2005
    5M 28:33 May 2005
    10k 34:28 Jun 2005
    10M 58:52 Apr 2005
    1/2 1:18:24 Apr 2005
    M 2:57:30 Oct 2004
  • Options
    S3oB.

I just ran a new 5000m pb on Sunday of 16:38 - still 9 secs behind you. However my other times are quicker. Looks like you have better shorter distance times.
  • Options
    Hi peeps.

A brief update from me!

I managed to get round the Lancaster Half in 1'20"27 in *very* hot conditions a couple of weeks ago. I then had my summer holiday (camping for four days in Surrey) and came back with a cold. So, I imagine that by the time I get back to full health I'll have not run for more than a week.

I'm not worried by this in the slightest though 8o). I think that I was at least two minutes slower at Lancaster than I would have been with easier conditions so I'm still hopeful that if I get one week of proper training (including a tempo run and a long run) and then a week of tapering I'll still be able to get 1'18'xx at Bristol on the 2nd October.

However, several things have come up in my personal life that are giving me second thoughts about doing London '06. I don't know how they will play out yet so I want to leave my application (I have GFA) as long as possible. Does anyone remember when the deadline is?

Dave
    8o)
  • Options
    Oooh - I just read BR's previous post. Your 5K track PB is the same as my road PB. That's very gratifying 8oD
  • Options
    ATFM - from the FLM website: The closing date for receipt of letters applying for GFA entries is 7th October 2005.If your performance is accepted by our scrutinisers you will be sent an entry form which must be received in the London Marathon office no later than 21st October 2005.

BR - good to catch up again (not that I got anywhere near catching you at Abingdon last year!). Congrats on the PB. Ref my times - my only 5M was early season before I'd done any 5/10k's so was a bit conservative on pace, 10k's were on an undulating course - had back problems and ran badly on the only flat course race, 10M early season - not run one since the PB, 1/2M back problem at MK from 9 miles. Realistically without the back issues and on a good day/course I'd anticipate clocking around 27:30/34:00/57:00/1:17 respectively. I guess time will tell.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Good point, must get that GFA letter in as soon as poss!

I've not been doing any speed work for a while, unless you count descents on a fell run of course, so I'm just thinking about what to do prior to a 5k next wednesday and Cardiff Half on the 9th October for a bit of a sharpener. The 5k isn't very important in the scheme of things but I'd like to get near the 17:00 mark.

Perhaps some longer intervals tonight and the other wednesdays? I had thought of a simple 1000, 2000, 1000 pyramid at 5k pace for the 1000 and 10k for the 2000, along with 400m recoveries. Then some half-marathon pace tempo work on Fridays which would be just under LT. (Sundays are the long run and other day are recovery or steady pace)

Thoughts/opinions welcome
  • Options
    Chaos, doesn't a training session take 6 weeks to have any effect on a race or did I read that wrong somewhere?
  • Options
    BR - I reckon a month is closer to reality. In the past when I was racing lots, I normally found it was about 4 weeks after my training clicked.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    No, I've read that as well. Possibly Hadd with his test every 6 weeks? It takes that long for the full mitochondria/capillary rebuilding or something.

However on the other hand, the common advice is to e.g. do your longest run 3 weeks before a marathon as any closer will be ineffective and possibly even damaging.

It may be more the case that improvements to different systems take different lengths of time. Base work, LT work, VO2 max stuff, strength, etc are working on different things or different combinations of underlying biological/physiological mechanisms.

There is plenty of academic evidence at pponline.co.uk that short term speed work can improve things - perhaps it is really just re-aligning your Tim Noakes style "Central Governer" to allow the body to work harder?

Guv...
  • Options
    Chaos, Hadd does favour some specific race pace work in the couple of week before a short race like a 5k. However they tend to be short reps with no major training effect. The idea is more to get your legs used to the required pace.

Thus 5 days before the 5000m race I did 5000m worth of alternating 200/200s in 39-40 and 54-55secs.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Interesting. In the end I just joined the main club session which was a 300/400 mixture in 60-62 and 81-83secs. The coach had said to do them at 5k and 10k pace respectively but given that most of the others haven't done a sub-17 5k recently, let alone a sub-34 10k I think that was being ignored! Suited me though as I was finding an 81 sec 400 quite sustainable so am hopeful for next week.

p.s. might try to come along to the Barnsleyrunner London drinks on the 28th!
  • Options
    "However they tend to be short reps with no major training effect. The idea is more to get your legs used to the required pace."

BR
    That raises an interesting point I think. What's the difference between a "training effect" and getting "your legs used to the required pace"? Do you think there is a difference between training, practising and learning (in the physical sense)? I play the piano and I find that I can "learn" a piece by "practising" it for an hour. Presumably there's no "training" effect - that's a more long-term thing. Do you think that the faster running you might do a few days before a race is like that - something to do with brain/body co-ordination?
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing as I was typing it, RB. I meant there is no effect in terms of LT, VO2 max etc.

Brain / body co-ordination is a good way of putting it.
  • Options
    And maybe a confidence thing too?
  • Options
    That depends how well it goes, MikeB!
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Bit of feedback on this now I've done the race. Having done only the one bit of proper speedwork last week I doubt that it had any actual physiological training effect but what it did give me was both some confidence of sustaining the necessary pace for a sub-17 5k and of knowing roughly what that pace would feel like.

And it paid off in a new PB of 16:56 :-)

25 seconds off my previous!
  • Options
    Got my GFA entry form today, so can now relax..once i've filled it in and sent it back.

Now to do the hard bit and up the training to break 2-45.

• Options
    Hello boys and girls

Just thought I'd say "Hello". Some of you may remember me from last year's 2.45 thread - my attempt last year ended up with a 2.52 in Copenhagen after missing London because of a cold. Everything went very wrong over the summer with a family disaster but I'm now back running for the first time in a few months. Not sure yet if I'm going to concentrate on London next year or just use it to get a qualifying time for Comrades but either way I'll be there. I'm entered for the Cabbage Patch 10 in October but not expecting anything too stellar given my current state of lardiness. Isn't it amazing how rubbish you get with a couple of months of junk food and no exercise?
  • Options
    Think I might post on here if people don't mind as I'll be seriously looking for a marathon at some point in the next two years or so and I'd hope with the right training to go sub 2:45.

4 x 1k rep session done on my own, 3:05, 3:03, 2:59 and 3:08, with 5 mins rest, fairly pleased as have a cold and have been training fairly hard all week.

Times atm are: 3k 9:20, 5k 16:33, 10k 34:24, 10 miles 60:42 ( not run in almost a year and since then cutting over 2 mins off my 10k time).
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hello Bryn, so now we know where you real ambitions lie...................

Seriously though, don't neglect your speedwork whilst your body's still young enough to absorb it without doing any biomechanical damage.

Nylarthotep, good to see one of the old guard alive and posting. Are you pleased with the 2:52, sounds pretty nippy to me. Like yourself the summers running has been a bit of a non event. However I'm back running, albeit not very quickly, so my current target is the Bishops Stortfort 10M (hope you can give us a cheer Bryn!) in November, as it incorporated the Vets championships. Good luck in Cabbage Patch, but running Comrades!!!! (maniac). Anyway keep posting and stay fit.
  • Options
    It's always been the marathon Tom, it's part of the big picture as it were ;o). But only in conjunction with the rest of my life which to be frank has to take precedence! I'd probably do better sticking at shorter distances for longer but the marathon is what i want to do, and tbh I think I can combine training for the marathon with still being competitive over the shorter distances, my training is marathon style anyway for most runners. After all Lydiard believed in 100 mpw for milers and look at what his athletes did!

My speedwork will still be ticking over though, Jon Brown has apparently said that to be a succesful marathoner you need to be capable of running a 3:40 1500m so next season might be devoted to running my best possible 1500. But once I'm at uni then I'll be looking at definitely running a marathon and doing my best to go for MikeBs BUSA title.

I'll definitely give you a cheer in the Stortford 10, unless we're head to head with 100m left, I'm running too!