Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Elspeth - how did you know where I was hiding?image.   I'm late on here as I had to walk home, still slushy but now with some dangerous icy parts as it's now all freezing over, had to call into the PO to collect a huge packet of vitamins for meimage.   Don't think I'll be able to run tomorrow, we'll see

Mrs Mac was thinking about doing the 48 hour race at Lingfield, she'll be disappointed as there hasn't been a 48 hour in this country for years.  But I'm sure she'll find another event.

Keith - which Lingfield event were you thinking of entering?   I was still dithering and hadn't put it in my race schedule, plus I'd heard rumours about a cancellation.   Pam hasn't updated her website though.

VR - hope the boiler is OK.  Enjoy your mince pie run tonight, be careful. 

• Options

The 6 in 6 Shades, althoguh i was tempted by the 6 day one and doing it the way Pam does with a set distance per day. Website has been changed btw as it says 2012 now.

Should be thankful its warmer down there Shades, its not going above -2 or 3 for several days up here still i believe image

Obviously with the dieing from Man Flu image i've not been outside today but going by the state the road outside is in i suspect the road out of the village itself is still covered in snow, albeit barely a inch or so thick and compacted my tyre tracks too by now.

Speaking of which its time i went back downstairs for the news i think.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Keith - you will recover from your man flu...honestimage, but hope you're feeling better soon for the journey down south.   Yes, did feel warmer today here.

the 6 in 6, was this a trial for the 10 in 10 maybe?

• Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭

Elspeth - LOL at Peter thinking he was a candidate for LB's torture image. He is definitely a very supportive OH. Hope your daughter gets home soon.

Shades - there's a message on the forum now re Lingfield. Building or maintenance works (or something) at the racecourse. But it looks like it will be re-scheduled for 2012.

VR - something scary going on with your weather image. Don't really like mince pies (well, not 26.2 of them). Now, if it were a Christmas cake marathon....

((HY4)) Hope your shoulder is a bit easier now.

Keith - why bother going to bed (as it's a long way from the loo) - just get the duvet and camp out on the sofa (nearer to the kitchen too). Trust you get better soon.

SiJ - how was the ice skating? Haven't ever been skating much in the past - always worried that I'd fall over and someone would skate over my fingers image.  It only looks like we've got a lot of snow outside our door. Once you get down to the main road it's all black slush. Most people are carrying on as normal - it's just me that's a wimp image.

Managed to get up to Mum's today. Not sure why I bothered - she was just worried that everyone else might get into lunch before she did!  Took my car for it's MOT. It passed image. Front tyre was near legal limit though, so have left it in the garage for them to fit a new one in the morning. Squeezed a short run in, just 40 minutes. Snow not quite so fluffy now, but found enough to run in. It's a bit like running X-country - makes the legs ache and the HR shoot up . Saw a grebe and a heron as well as other birds, but thankfully no big tracksimage.

• Options

mowzer - er i have about 40% radiator capacity working downstairs so its far warmer upstairs than down, i er cheated and used a bucket image BG are here on the 10th jan to replace boiler with a shiny new one, clean the crap out of the radiators and install a new one in the bathroom so come mid jan things will be far warmer

Shades -  It was to be my summer holiday from work image But yes it would have been a good indicator of doing 10 in 10

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mowzer,

It is now thanks.  I'm down to 4 painkillers a day.  I'm expecting it to be painful first thing tomorrow (that's when it's usually the worst).

• Options

hi..

(((hy4))) hope you are ok 

25 mins on th ebike and 25 mins run done.. feeling rubbish.. dodgy tummy today and totally not in the mood but got it done.. be glad when this run every day thing is over¬! 

• Options

I didn't go mince pieing after all! Didn't fancy driving over there on my own. What a wimp!!

That's two days without running. I'm going mad, sad and grumpy....

Heating has been fixed and I managed to fix our TV too image

Bootsie - Hope you feel better soon, when is this silly run every day thing over?

Mowser - We had a Brambling in our garden earlier. Filling our feeders everyday and I'm putting food on the ground too although a certain greedy guts keeps hoovering it up. Grrrrr

• Options
    end of the month.. 11 days to go ! I will make it!!! though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me because i think that any training every day should do and not just running every day!
  • Options

VR - you can still eat the mince pies though.image

I'm trying to run as many days as poss this week as will miss my Sat long run this week.

Daughter had to hang around airport until 6pm(since 10am this morning) to see what was doing - answer nothing until Wed so now on train to Aberdeen and hopefully home from there tomorrow night - bit rubbish really. Home she makes it tomorrow or she will be really fed up. Also it was apparently nothing to do with fog - they just didn't have enough planes having put on an extra one earlier to get people away who missed flights over weekend.

Perhaps Christmas should be rescheduled for July when it's not likely to snow.image

• Options

bootsie - do what suits you!

VR - don't blame you for not driving over on your own for that. It is cold here and is forecast to stay that way until Thursday at the moment - when we're due some snow - hopefully not enough to stop us getting to Bristol for xmas. Why not take to the treadmill for your runs - or can't you get to the gym.

Shades - my raised HR obviously not due to the cold as it was rising quickly in the gym on the bike today. I guess that although my RHR is back to normal I'm not 100% yet - as evidenced by the sinus pain and headache I guess.

mowzer - sounds as though your mum has recovered from her recent mishaps!

Keith - hope you're better in time to drive home for xmas. Shame about your cancelled xmas meal.

Elspeth - any news on your daughter?

HY4 - hope it's good news at the fracture clinic tomorrow.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Thanks Shades, I'd seen Pams message on Facebook last night. Shame really but maybe I'll just sneak in another 24 hour race insteadimage

Hope you guys enjoyed  the ice-skating today SiJimage

Fingers crossed for your daughter Elspeth.

Like the sound of your club run tonight VRimage

Get well soon Keith.

Sorry to hear you're still struggling LMUHimage

HY4, just try and relax and accept Chris is probably quite happy to do these things for you. Ain't love grand?image

A rather slippery run for day 20. Its quite deep snow here but with icy bits mixed in. Got my last online purchase delivered today, yayimage Thats what I call cutting it fine.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mrs Mac,

I know he's not too happy about having to do things however he is being quite good about this.  I'm trying to do things around the flat when he's not there so he can't shout at me for doing too much and he was really pleased that I'd managed to do some washing up.

--------

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will update everyone once back home. 

• Options

My journey to work (usually 35 min or even 30 at this time of year) took 75 minutes and then an hour to get home.  We postponed our Christmas meal tonight, no way was I going to drive back there again!

Treadmill for me image

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

mowser - good news on the MOT and getting out for a run.   I can't wait until Xmas hols so I can run in daylight and hopefully can see some wildlife too...I shall look out for the big tracksimage

Keith - there's a 6 day event in Germany that Pam took part in and I think she did marathon distance every day, perhaps you could mail her for details, would make a great holiday.

VR - last night as I settled on the sofa with my hot bowl of soup and bruschetta I thought how motivated you were to go out in that cold and drive to Teignmouth (not a pleasant journey in the dark) and I felt mildly guilty.   So good to know you are human after all!

Good news on the boiler...and the TV, didn't know you could repair TV's!

LMH - hope it's just the tail end of the virus and you'll soon be back to normal.  is your HR higher indoors due to the lack of cooling effect from training indoors? 

Mrs Mac - I had a quick look at the Belfast 24 hour yesterday, there might be a 12 hour too.   but I might just do Tipton as my only track ultra this year, we'll see.

Another day without running, am getting cabin fever.   It was freezing last night but it looks like it's warmed up slightly overnight so if it stays dry today I might be able to get out tomorrow morning.   I want to get my car on the road tomorrow if I can too as I don't want to walk home dragging the turkey image

• Options

-6C forecast for here at 0900hrs - will be another chilly run.

Shades - HR is rising more quickly both inside and out at the moment so I think it's me rather than the environment. Will keep taking it easy at least until the end of the week. I'm hoping that the sinuses will be clear before the end of the week so that I can get a swim in before we go away otherwise it will be three weeks without swimming - I feel as though I'm undoing all the good work I did by going three times a week.

Good luck HY4.

Mrs Mac - is Mr Mac off over xmas?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Bridget,

It looks as though you'll be getting the snow we had yesterday so hopefully it won't disrupt things too much.

Shades,

It's warmed up here a bit as it's 1c.

LMUH,

Thanks.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Options

All our snow washed away last night with a torrential down pour but the sky cleared overnight so it was a bit slippy when I ran this morning.

Did 4.15 miles in 42.40.

I had been thinking of going away at Xmas- I'm so glad I decided not to!

• Options

freezing here today! car has been giving trouble so had to elave it at a garage..dreading the result of that!!

OH dropped me into work image 

• Options
    Good morning to everyone
    i wish all the best for you ...merry christmas all runners. I want to tell thank you coach shades for encourage-me every time to improve my training and this interesting thread..thank you all runners forum told me a nice word about my results. Finally i hope you feel well and manage yours training with snow and really difficult climate conditions,too.
    I did my PB last HM on november "Fiumicino" race 01:30 at the finish . and my pb on 10k at "the best woman" race last sunday at the finish 41:30.
    i follow training every week with my runners friends .
    enricoimage
  • Options
    Merry Christmas Enrico!
  • Options
    mght be a bit of a poor christmas at my house.. injector packed it in on my car so have to have it replaced tomorrow.. another £200!!! eek.. good thing all my christmas presents have been bought already!
  • Options

My xmas is worse as the bloody pipes have frozen and i have no water, this is the downside of having shit heating downstairs. Hopefully will warm up enough to deice during the day.

Feeling a bit better from my man flu today too which is an arse, cant really disappear with the pipes frozen solid now. About to email my mate to check what is covered on my BG homecare plumbing and heating as in will BG come and defrost them for me.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Bootise,

Ouch.  Glad you've got the christmas pressies.  We're planning on digging my car out a bit later & visiting a friend up in Woking to charge the battery up a bit.

Enrico,

Happy Christmas & well done on the pbs.

Keith,

What a pain.

-----------

Update from the Fracture Clinic is that the bone is beginning to fuse together, however the doc I saw this time thinks the graduated return to work after 4 weeks of the break may be a bit too much.  He has said he's not sure if I'll have full movement to do front crawl swimming & I've got a sheet of physio exercises to do.  Next appointment is 6 weeks from now. 

As Elspeth said they copy x-rays onto cds I asked the xray assistant if I could have something similar & was told no but he said I could take a photo of the screens with my phone so if anyone wants to see them let me know & I can post them up later on today.   

• Options
    HY4 take it easy on the bone.. gradual reintroduction is good but not doing too much too soon
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Bootise,

I plan to do the exercises up to the point of pain.

• Options

ya i think thats what i did too!

wierd one.. i thought it was just an old wives tale about bones aching in the cold if you had broken them in the past but this whole cold spell my arm (i broke) has been really painful! 

• Options

HY4 -  Good news that your healing and yeah I like looking at x rays, fascinating image

Keith - Bad luck on the frozen pipes, is there anything you can do to stop that happening again?

Bootsie - Ouch, cars are a real pain when they go wrong and expensive, always at the wrong time.

Hi Enrico, you've had a good year then with all the PB's. Well done image 

Finally I managed to get out and do a decent run of almost 11 miles on the road. The slushy bits were ok and the further I went towards the coast the pavements were clear.
    No more bad tempers in this house. Phew!!! imageimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Bootise,

It's also the same for ligaments/cartilege or I've found that to be the case for my knees.  My shoulder is already suffering as this is the first time we've ever had a winter duvet on the bed since we've been living together (10 years).

VR,

Give me a few minutes and I'll put them up.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

/members/images/115491/Gallery/211210_humerus_for_rw.jpg

/members/images/115491/Gallery/031210_humerus_for_rw.jpg

The top one was done today & the bottom was done when it happened.  They are taken from slightly different angles & the bones are still in the correct place.