Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Stop being mean to poor Butlerimage
  • Options

I blame Clag - all those endorphins have obviously over excited her and she was having rather naughty thoughts about Butler and his underpants image

WD - hope you can get your hip sorted on Friday.

bootsie - are you feeling better?

Flossie - hope it stops raining for you.

James - sounds like a good approach.

News from the smt is relatively good - it seems that my piriformis had spasmed and then basically knocked the glute and adducter out of kilter too, it was already easing (as I could tell) with my stretching/swimming/not running (for which self-control I was patted on the back) but she had a good (read painful) go at the area which has helped further and has advised that I start doing my glute exercises on the left side again as it has become significantly weaker - which could have been the cause of the spasm - so it looks as though quite a lucky escape. She'd like me to lay off the running until it's not painful/Saturday to give it a chance to relax totally. Dilemma now is whether it's too close to my half (23rd) to do the last 16 miler - which I was planning for Tuesday. Should I just do it very easy, cut it short or go for it as planned?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    lol pretty sure i dont have swine flu but just staying at home to make sure i dont pass on whatever yucky thing i do have.. feeling alot better now except for this coughing thing! got two cough bottles.. sure they do nothing but one of the pharmasists promised it would help me sleep.. i would have bought anything on that promise!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMUH,

That's good news.  I'd see how things go with the planned run.

• Options
    take it easy LMUH.. dont over do it
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

VR  - only 40 left to do todayimage

bootsie - hope you manage to get a decent night's sleep

James - I assume you're going to 'race' Brighton and maybe go for a PB, and then run VLM depending how you feel on the day?   I would still stick to increasing the distance every other week but perhaps do more racing as part of your training and don't taper before the races and go straight back into training so you get used to running on slightly tired legs but not necessarily for long distances.

LMH - I wouldn't risk it, you've already done some decent length runs and i think you'd have more of a chance of a PB with fresher legs and less chance of that niggle returning.   But you could just wait and see how you are on Tuesday.

• Options
    Little M.iss Ultra Happy wrote (see)

I blame Clag - all those endorphins have obviously over excited her and she was having rather naughty thoughts about Butler and his underpants image

LMUH - you're probably right! Calm down VR image

LB - I think I need to go to Shade's boot camp too to get some serious miles in!

LMUH - Plenty of time to recover from 16 miler before race so if your injury has settled could go for it.

• Options
    It was this Tuesday I was going to do it Shades - to give myself a good long recovery as I know that long runs stay in my legs for two weeks. This Saturday would be two weeks before race day (Sunday 23rd) so as near as I'd dare do it. If I don't do another LSR my last one was 12 hilly miles in Bristol on the 28/12 and before that 16 miles on 19/12 - so nearly a month out for a less than over distance run - am I just panicking? I know my base endurance is good but I like to train over distance for the half - especially as I'm aiming for a PB.
  • Options
    i think the miles are in the bank already LMUH.. all you can do now is cause yourself an injury
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

I agree with bootsie, you've done the work and you know you're mentally strong in a race.   If the niggle flares up again it will weigh on your mind when you're racing and might stop you from doing your best on the day

• Options

Shades - Just about to start on my next 100 image

Elspeth - I am calm image

• Options
    Email on it's way re your programme. Thanks
  • Options

Vr - great TOTP image

I've had an email from my mentor.  He wants to know what particular areas he can support me in.  My mind is blank, any suggestions?

• Options

Shades, we did Dublin in 2003 and loved it! Think its changed direction since then? My 3rd fastest time thereimage

Thats good news LMUH at least you know whats up. I agree with Shades and bootsie, take it easy and trust you've done the work.

Good recovery run mowserimage

Do Dublin Flossie and bootsieimage

Back to work today. It was fine but I'm really tired and headachy so I'm being lazy tonight and skipping my gym session.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Bridget,

Excellent.  With what I've seen from your thread and also putting a question to him on a thread he did last summer I'd say give as much info as possible (not sure what info they've already got about you).  I'd suggest write down what you've struggled (in any way, however small), with so far as a starting point and formulate the response from there.

• Options

Difficult one Bridget - what did you want to get out of being one of the super-six?

I think that if the leg feels ok on Saturday I'll set off on my six mile loop and add the ten mile loop on afterwards if there's no reaction - all nice and easy - how does that sound?

HY4 - when do you next get reviewed at the fracture clinic?

Mrs Mac - shock to the system isn't it? I was back in today and picked up some more work for tomorrow - good for the bank account I guess.

• Options
    Good question LMUH.  I think I wanted the coaching without knowing what the difference would be.  Having followed the list for the last couple of weeks without advice makes it harder to think
  • Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭

Survived the 2nd day of the first aid course. Did the recovery position correctly and got the quiz questions right so I'm now qualified. Only, if you've got a bone sticking through your skin on a cut on your wrist, don't ask me 'cos I'll have my eyes shut image. Got a headache from sitting indoors all day and trying to absorb so much information - much more covered and in greater detail than the last course I did.

James - sounds like a good idea to ditch the watch. Once you start really enjoying your runs you might find the times drop - but if they don't then that's OK too and it should be stress free image.

LMUH - I agree with the others. You've already done all the work to get round easily. If you feel good on the day you can go for your PB, but a long run now probably won't make that much difference.

Shades & VR - I don't know how you can do all those squats. They're one thing (amongst many others!) that I can't do at all - my knees are always so weak. The thought of hundreds image.

Bridget - you obviously want to get a faster time so think why you didn't before. Did you fade towards the end or not get into the correct pace at the start etc? Then you can put this to your mentor and see what he suggests.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Mrs Mac - Dublin course now goes through Phoenix Park at 5 miles instead of mile 20.   I think I preferred it the other way.   So another PB attempt for you then this year.

LMH - that sounds like a good plan, can you cut the run shorter if you get to say 12 miles and have a twinge?

mowser - LOL at you on the first aid course.   I used to have a part time job taking the money on the door of a nightclub and quite frequently if there had been a fight (or even worse a glassing) and the injured would come to me pouring with blood.  I don't do first aid but I had one of those giant toilet rolls under the counter, I'd tear off a huge amount and then if they didn't need an ambulance tell them to bugger off.

Bridget - it's a great opportunity but I guess hard to put into words exactly what you want.  How about race strategy, I find that a great subject to discuss when I meet with someone of elite standard.   Or nutrition?

7.7 miles for me today, nice and mild again so no hammy problems.   will need to do double today as now 5 miles behind on mileage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMUH,

I go back on 1 Feb.  I did go to my docs on Tuesday & she signed me off until next Tuesday & couldn't sign me off for any longer as she's not had the report from the hospital.  I'm not too sure how much more time I'll need off as I'm still typing with one hand and will attempt to drive either tomorrow or at the weekend.

Mowser,

Good to hear you're enjoying your course.  Is it the 5 day First Aid at Work one?  When I did one I was really nervous when it came to the exam & passed it with no problems.

• Options
    Thanks Shades - Planning on race at Brighton. London is to busy to PB. My club is in 2 XC leagues so I will have loads of races. Just checked and I did 31 races last year, actual 30% of my miles for the year was races.

LMUH - Difficult. If you skip the long run then lack of training can play on your mind, if you do the long run and it starts to hurt then this will also play on your mind. How about run it very slowly or run with someone slower than you? To keep my LSR pace down I use to mental list all the jobs I could do by finishing early, clean the toilet, file papers, etc. Some how the pace always dropped.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

James,

That's a really good tip.  I've found my lsr's can be about 10 secs per mile quicker than what they should be at times, so not too bad overall.

• Options

Hi everyoneimage

(((((())))) and healing vibes to everyone on the injury bench.

I went out for a little run this morning- my first for 15 days! I only did 4,5 miles and i got a stitch after the first 200 yds, but it felt good to be running again.

Bit of a shock to the system getting back into work and the school routine after so long off over Christmas.

I totalled up my mileage for 2010 and i did 950 miles. Exactly the same as 2009! I have only got 2 races booked so far this year- brighton half in 6 weeks time and brighton marathon. I really need to do some training.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

SiJ,

That's some consistency.  Well done.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

James - LOL at you thinking about the filing and cleaning the toilet while you're out running.   I try and not think of all the things I have to do when I'm out running, otherwise I'd never go home

SiJ - great news you're back running again, now please stay healthy...and don't bang your head on any walls.

HY4 - you are healing well if you're thinking about driving at the weeken, hope it goes OK

• Options

SiJ delighted to hear you are back running

bored out of my mind here.. fed up of not sleeping and the dizziness and trying hard not to eat all the left over christmas treats in the flat.. going to the doctors later to see if I need an antibiotic so will see what he says

• Options

Si J - Glad your back to it. You have lots of time before the half and then the marathon. Good luck with the training image

Bootsie - Your always in the wars!!!!!  Stop it at once!!! And lay off the chocs.
    Get better soon image

James - Do you really clean the toilet???  I thought everyone had a toilet cleaner fairy...It's not you is it?

Shades and I have just booked our flights to Galway simultaneously on line....

Flying together.....squatting together.........

• Options

(((Bootsie))) - hope it's something that anti-b's will help but in the meantime - fluids, vit c, good food and rest! And when you feel better and want to start exercising again - rest for at least one more day.

Shades - if I set off on the 10 mile loop I can cut it down to an 8 easily without a long walk back from the middle of nowhere.

James - I like that strategy!

HY4 - sounds as though you're making progress.

SiJ - glad to hear that you're back out there.

I swam another couple of miles today, leg is definitely much better - not stiffening up in between sets or pulling as I swim so I'm quite hopeful that one more sensible day should sort me and if I run on Saturday I'll keep it really easy and see how it feels, if there's a twinge early on I can get home in 4 miles from my 6 mile loop. If Brass wasn't my one half marathon PB attempt of the year I wouldn't be worrying about it so much - I know I can do the distance easily enough I just like to know that I have the stamina to hold on when it gets really tough - usually with about three miles to go!

• Options
    lol LMUH thats what i had to tell my mum today.. she thought she was much better yesterday so did all th ehouse work and was laid up badly again today with the flu.. silly!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Valley Runner wrote (see)

Shades and I have just booked our flights to Galway simultaneously on line....

Flying together.....squatting together.........

You have booked the flight to Shannon haven't you?   If you're flying to Galway, you'll be on your own!image

LMH - hopefully you won't have to cut short Saturday's run.   I always find that the 10 mile point in a half is the toughest.

bootsie - you poor thing, you are ill a lot aren't you

I'm bored at work today and I've got loads to do, see if I can sneak off to get another 40 squats done now