Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

VR,

Oh dear.  I trust he has been reprimanded?

• Options
    Shades - I kinda dilute it out anyway as i find it too strong, still doesn't solve the er effect it has in me though. Lets just say when doing my once a week commute to London for Uni having a McD's brekkie just down from Downing st generally meant i was just about capable of walking to Stratford before needing the loo.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Flossie - don't start doing exercises in the ladies loo at your new job, at least until you've been there a while, otherwise if someone catches you they'll think you're mad!   Sneaked another 40 squats this afternoon trying not to get caught as the most of the girls I work with think exercise is something that aliens do!

bootsie - don't think we've decided anything definite, may end up having a few Shadie weekends this year.   VR and I are going to Dublin and I think molly was interested too

LMH - I just looked at VLM website, it's all a bit vague about the GFA but does say that the applications go before a panel.  There is a phone number for queries.

VR - nice pic, you and Butler both look chilled.   LOL at the gel in your bra!

Keith - I think perhaps you should stay away from the orange juice, how about apple juice or cranberry, that's very good for you.

• Options
    Keith - fruit juice counts as only 1 of your 5 a day no matter how much of it you get through.  Its because you get all the fibre and stuff if you eat the whole thing.
  • Options
    Do they count potatoes?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - No, not even if they're chipsimage   Potato is counted as a carbohydrate, but there are lots of vitamins etc in potatoes especially if you eat the skins too
  • Options

What about multi vitamins image By defination they'd have to be 5 of 5 a day as they generally have 100% RDA's for pretty much everything image

Prefer rice/pasta to potatoes usually, although do have jacket potatoes (with cheese naturally; the ones from tesco's you whack in the micro)

• Options

Oh Keithimage - afraid multivits don't count for anything, as Bridget says you have to eat the whole fruit/veg.

Go and buy some vegetables!

• Options

LMUH, I loved LN! Would you  not do it again?

VR, that looks like Butler is about to draw a gun from his pocket!! Yuck at the gel in your braimage

I'm up for Dublin Shades if I could tag along?

Thats good D is giving you encouragement Flossie, it does make a difference. Well done on the 5 milesimage

Sorry you're still eeling rubbish bootsieimage

Ran 9.25 miles on our hilly off road cliff route this morning. Caked in mud at the finishimage Spent this afternoon planning training runs for the WHW. Gave myself a headache with excitement. I am so looking forward to the challenge.

Am I the only one looking at LN?

• Options

Hell no Mrs Mac, LN is becoming a bit of a tradition for me, i just dont enter until bonus pays out in May

• Options

I can't say that I had the best time ever as regards the race Mrs Mac - the weekend though was great.

Shades - I have the LN time to fall back on - as long as they do count that.

VR - yuck, gels are foul like that aren't they?

Keith - sprouts count image

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

So er how many sprouts is 1 a day? I bet i eat way more than one portion normally image

Doesn't the jet propulsions sprouts cause class as a artificial aid though image

• Options

Sweet potatoes count and so do parsnips

8 sprouts = 1 portion btw

• Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭

Flossie - well done on the run. D definitely sounds like he is a Butler in the making image.

Did a gentle 6 mile with the club tonight. Was sweep for the slower runners, but mistakenly got stuck behind a small group who were only doing half the run, so when I got past them I had to run a bit faster to catch up the 'slow' group.

VR - gels are bad enough anyway, but one down your bra...image

Shades - I won't be able to do Dublin this year. For some reason our half term is the week before, when usually it includes the Irish bank holiday image. Or at least, I think it did.

Been doing first aid course today - blowing up a Little Annie torso and rolling people into the recovery position. Part 2 tomorrow - should be OK as long as they don't mention blood and veins (then I might faint image).

• Options
    As i thought, if 8 sprouts = a portion i'm on 3 or more usually image
  • Options

Morning

I've done 100 squats already, come on Shades keep up!!! image
    Saw you this morning as I was coming back from dropping Butler off at the station. You were looking strong image

8 sprouts. YUK!

• Options
    It's really windy here this morning - gusting up to 46mph - almost glad I can't get out for the long run. Mind you instead of doing that I have to go into work for four hours worth of unpaid training then on to the smt for an elbow in my *rse - maybe the weather isn't that bad! I'm unlikley to be able to make Dublin.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

VR - didn't see you, you could have flashed your lightsimage.  Did 8.65 miles this morning, no probs with hammy but it's almost warm today.

Mrs Mac - yes, do come to Dublin, I think you and Mr Mac will enjoy it.   I'm not doing LN this year as I'm going to Jersey, but I love LN so will be back next year

LMH - your LN time is within the GFA times, isn't it? 

mowser - LOL at having to catch up on your run, probably just what you didn't need the day after a marathon

Sorry you won't be in Dublin, next year the half term should be at the right time.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LMH -xpost - not windy here, lovely running weather.   Good luck at smt.   sorry you won't be able to make Dublin but I'm sure there'll be another marathon weekend we can all meet up.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Shades,

It's mild here also but they have forecast snow for later on in the week.

• Options
    not much sleep again last night .. cough is much worse.. whole family has swine flu.. so staying at home and working from here instead image when can i do my new years run!
  • Options

Lovely and mild here today also- 4degrees.  Did 4 miles this morning: the shins felt better but I have  still a pain in my right hip. It doesn't bother me when i run but it's hurting now, so I've arranged to see my physio on Friday, the first available appointment.

Molly- I'll be making my first attempt at the 1/2 marathon PB on 20th march in New York which i believe is the same day you'll be a pacer in Rome. With a seven o'clock start I hope to be back in time for Brunch about 11.30. 

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

image I have achieved 7 days of running back to back. Not been doing a whole lot else as I've been on holiday. Thinking of heading out soon for an 8-10 miler and then maybe another run tomorrow before resting on Friday.

Dublin marathon is meant to be fab! I think there are a few of my JS buddies doing it this year. I would love to but unfortunately it's during term time and on a Monday so not really feasible for me.

Mrs Mac - will definitely look out for you this year at the Smokies. I'll be sure to recognise you and failing that I'm sure Mr Mac if he's there will stand out as there are so many ladies and not a huge contingent of men that I remember.

VR - love the photo. I cannot begin to imagine how disgusting it must have felt having an open gel oozing out into your bra! What a thought! Did you make Butler walk around with one in his pants in order to have some appreciation of the discomfort you experienced? image

Hope the injuries are easing up & that folks are fit and well. LB - I notice on the competition you've either not been logging your miles or you've been slacking. Get yourself in gear! It's now 5th Jan!!! image

• Options

Clag - I've been running! image This is first time I've even been NEAR a PC for ten days! I promise! Just going for a quick 4 miler and I'll pop 11 on later! *salutes*

I'll put about 25 or so on the board by the end of the week. Shade's bootcamp offer to whip my ass up for marathon fitness sounds tempting right now though. I'm not injured - just woefully unfit. I did a 3 mile tempo run yesterday at 9.52mm and I was bushed!image

marathon molly wrote (see)
    LB - you lucky gal !!! So who did you bump into then??!!!

Ben Miller from Armstrong and Miller. Other than that they were all toffs and people dressed head to toe in Armani! I'll do you a special "London report" later! Suffice to say, The Ivy was only one of my presents! I am the biggest spoilt brat in England...image

I'm going to watch "Famous and Fearless being recorded tonight in Liverpool. Give me a wave on Channel four at 8.00pm. It's live! image

• Options

Shades - have to determine how big the cubicles are at new place before engaging in some squats there.  The place where I'm currently working is excellent for manoeuvres, but not good if you need to get on the floor because of black dog fluff.  LOL at workmates being like aliens to exercise.  My glasses prescription didn't need changing this year and it could be part and parcel due to keeping fit and well.  image

Bootsie - LOL at you falling asleep whilst trying out new beds.  Have to wait for that New Year run a bit yet, but just imagine how happy you'll be once you get out there again fit and well.  image

VR - LOL at opened gel oozing in your bra - priceless!  Good thing we weren't there, D has a wicked sense of humour and would have been in fits.  image

Mrs Mac - excellent running yesterday.  I love planning training runs around events.  Won't be doing LN this year although a lovely course, but in a bit of a dilemma between Jersey (which is quite near me) and Dublin - decisions, decisions!  image

Mowzer - I did First Aid At Work last January and thoroughly enjoyed it.  There was no blood, but when you're put on the spot with a distressed child/adult with a bloody wound, somehow you find the middle ground in you to deal with it.  image

Keith - I love sprouts too!!!  image

LMUH and WD - (((()))) for smt treatments - ouch!  image

LB - shall be looking for you on C4 tonight at 8.00 pm.  image

D will be kicking my backside out of door tonight to get another 5 miler done and it's raining at the moment.  Just going to have to wish for dry weather after work.  image

• Options
    well flossie.. i'm strongly thinking of signing up to dublin so let me know what you decide!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Bootsie - sorry to hear you've got swine flu, but you can't be too bad as you're able to post on here.   Great news if you come to Dublin.

WD - hope the hip pain is nothing serious, could it be from running on a camber perhaps?

Clag - you're on a mission with your running at the moment.  LOL at a gel down Bulter's pants.

LB - Brilliant you've now been able to start training, that's pretty good going for a tempo run

Flossie - although Jersey is nearer for you, I doubt there would be much difference in travel time or cost, flights are usually cheaper to Dublin.  Entry fee for Dublin will probably be twice than Jersey. 

• Options
    image have you done your squats???
  • Options

Hi all and a belated Happy New Year.

Not had a chance to read back but have had a quick skim.

Shades - Don't like the sound of the kill or cure method. As long as it works it should be worth the effort. Quick bit of advice please. I am doing Brighton and London so 2 marathons 1 week apart. Should I change the training plan so rather than dropping LSR distance down every other week I keep the distances going up?

Not booked any other marathons yet other than the Steyning Stinger in March. WIll probably do Halstead again in May, so any suggestions for the other months of the year?

Did the 10 mile last run of the year and had a revelation afterwards. I enjoyed the first couple of miles, hated the next 6 and enjoyed the last couple.

When I thought back on it the first couple I was running in a group and had not paid any attention to how fast I was going, I was just enjoying the run. Then someone said they though the pace was a bit quick. I was convinced I had gone out to fast and would not make it, so I dropped the pace.

Then plodded along for the next 6 miles concerned about pace, being caught by the guy 100m behind me, etc. So at 8 miles I walked. Let the guy pass me and started enjoying the run again.

Therefore, this year I have decided not to worry about times and other people and just go out and enjoy every run.

PB's may come along the way. I am just not going to obsess about times, or get stressed about hitting training targets.

Did my first run of the year yesterday (4*600m and 4*200m) with my new mind set and it was great and I really enjoyed it. When I compared it to a similar session my splits where actually quicker. Think I have been running to the watch for too long.

• Options

Clag - Gel in his pants.....What an excellent idea. I'll make sure they're chilled first. lol!

Flossie - I agree lying on the floor with all that black hair would be yuk. Jet is shedding his at the moment and it gets everywhere. My poor hoover.
    In any case lying on the floor in the loos is just as bad!