Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I haven't ran since the Half, as my neck isn't right still, after getting off the settee!  Very frustrating as it's not even a running injury.  Anyway, hopefully I'll get a run in tomorrow.

Steve/Shades, I just had a quick Google and the Garmin site talks about needing to calibrate those devices, and also implies it's not a one off thing but is something that needs to be done regularly.

Cal, I've been to the cinema quite often over the last few weeks (it's something I'm doing rather than going to the pub!), but where I go is just a cheap and cheerful place, which is £5 for a film!  It's definitely no IMAX but the screen and sound are good, and it means I get to see some films I wouldn't generally get to see, which I like.  Its £10 for an annual membership, but then if you go on your birthday you get in for free, and each film is £2.50 cheaper if you're a member, so I very quickly make the £10 back.  I renewed this year and because I renewed within a month of expiry they let me in for free at that film too!  I'm no film buff, but I have to say I absolutely loved Darkest Hour - I actually went to see it twice!

Keith, great news you're back into your running after Plym Trail.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's really annoying about your neck injury, hope it clears up soon
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yeah, really annoying.  This week was going to be a cut back week anyway, but even if I'd had a rest day after Sunday's race, I've still missed two days running :(  I have to remember that 2 days isn't that much in the big scheme of things!

This coming weekend is my last weekend of doing the press reports for the club.  I've enjoyed doing them, but I'm pleased I'm handing over the role as I just don't get that much out of it personally anymore, and so they've lost a bit of enjoyment for me.  I've actually worked quite hard trying to convince various people they would be great at the role, and someone has now agreed to take it on and maybe they may breathe some new life into the role :)  The AGM is when I'm in Malta, but hopefully that will all go through smoothly.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Not surprised it's Baltic with the times you're out at.
    Shades-The achilles is fine today,it's the outside ankle that is sore,probably from consciously avoiding the achilles.Got time to run today but not going to as 3 on the run will be pushing it,will do my exercises instead.
  • Options
    Shades- Not been getting much snow we had some during the night of Sunday into Monday but thankfully it cleared up very quickly just getting strong bitterly cold winds just now.

8 miles today in strong winds which did make it a little more of a challenge. Still it was good to get out all the same.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Big G - I reckon your neck injury was due to head banging at that gig you went to ;) 

You've done well at the press reports but it's a pretty relentless task, good that you've found someone to take on the role.   T does our race reports and he is brilliant at it, I've often given him the briefest of details of my race and he does a wordy write up.

Ian - I know how hard it is to run in a relaxed manner when you know you have an injury but you can end up giving yourself another injury by trying to protect your current injury.   Yes, 3 days in a row would be too much at the moment.

steven - about time you had a few milder days as a bit of respite from the winter.

Weather was good this morning, sun was even coming out as I got home.   Back is still not 100% but back to a 1/10 during my run.

Our town is gridlocked this week with 4 different sets of road works affecting the town so a lot of my usual routes I can't use as they are narrow roads with really heavy traffic using alternative routes.   Then today on my run home another section of road is closed and all traffic being sent through the industrial estate as there'd been an accident and it looked quite bad, motorbike in the middle of the road, I believe the bike hit a pedestrian and he has head injuries. :'(
  • Options
    Ian - Ha ha :D Yeah it is normally early!! Good to hear your achilles is feeling better.

Later start today as only 7 miles, felt warmer out though, which is good!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, his reports are good.  I think (could be wrong) he used to do them for the Trotters.  He definitely did the Club Champs role for a while.  This is the second stint I've done the role and it's changed so much since I first did it - everything is on Facebook and Strava often within minutes after a race (PBs, club records, pictures etc).  This isn't a complaint as I know it's just the way it is, as I update Strava too, but I do feel I'm reporting old news all the time, which isn't what I want to be doing.  That, plus when I travel back home after a marathon on a Sunday I often don't feel like doing the report, but really I have to do the majority of it on the Sunday if I can. 

The organisers of the The Humdinger were asking for feedback so I emailed them saying it was a great race, well organised, great route etc etc.  The only improvement I could suggest was that they do two laps to make it into a marathon ;)  I'm of course not expecting them to do anything with that suggestion (I imagine they've considered it already), but I thought I may as well try :)

Neck still not right but much, much better so went for a slow and steady run this morning of 5-miles.  Had a great run and neck feels okay, so I'll see how I am tomorrow.  If okay, I'm kind of planning a shortish run in the morning and then a 12x45 session in the evening, but I'll just see how I am first.  In reality I know that I have not lost any fitness in 3 days, but I always feel that I have after a break!

In "Tree News" I've got a quote from a reputable company for £650, so I'm going with them and it'll be done in March.  Glad I shopped around as there has been a big difference in prices.  It'll be sad to see it go as it does attract a lot of birds, especially a Jay that often comes there (obviously we named our baby Jay), but it needs to go.
  • Options
    steven - wind is my absolute least favourite weather to run in!
    Steve - a lot milder here. Yesterday was frosty - today it was a balmy 8 degrees and sunny! The next few days will be a little cooler but still with sunny intervals, so it looks as though it will be perfect for Hampton Court. (A shame, then, that I am not in perfect form to match).
    Glad to hear you were able to get out, Big G. I've tweaked my neck a few times and it's horrible. Makes sleeping a lot harder, too.
    Shades - accident sounds nasty. :(
    I wasn't much in the mood for a run today but with it being so lovely out I went anyway and did 4 miles easy. I figured my sore bits could do with the extra blood flow. There is still a little tightness in my calf but my hamstring is the most vocal of all the grumbling bits. I know from my experience with it last year that resting it does nothing and, in fact, it only started grumbling a lot when I was resting my calf. So I'll just carry on. It's annoying because I have been a lot more diligent about mobilising, stretching and warming up/cooling down over the last year, yet the problems keep on coming.
    I'm in two minds whether to go to hot pilates later. It's a fun (if painful) class but I don't know if it'll set my back off again or if it'll just plain take too much out of me before my race. Any words of wisdom?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - glad it was a bit warmer for your run too today.

Big G - yes, I never thought of that.   As everyone updates FB/Strava etc quickly it takes away some of the excitement of reading your report when the info is fresh and new.

I too am often tired after travelling home from a marathon and the last thing I want to do at that time is a detailed race report.

What a great idea to suggest that the Humdinger put on a marathon, would be our DD preparation.   :) 

Good that you were able to run today.   I was the same with my 3 days off for my back, mentally I feel like a big step back in my training but of course it isn't and I may even get another 70 miles done this week, we'll see.

That's a good quote.   It's amazing to watch tree fellers at work, but not for the faint hearted.   The jay might just move to the next tree, they like to stay in the same place, when I'm out running I often see jays and always where I've seen them before

Cal - I don't know, it's your choice.   If it was me I'd skip the Hot Pilates, too high a risk of setting your back off again especially with a race this weekend.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it would be a great race if they added a marathon distance too.  Currently the races start at 11am so I just suggested starting the marathon at 9am if they were concerned about time, but I'm of course not really expecting anything.  But I suppose if a few suggest it, they may consider it.  Who knows.

I've just applied for a job!!  It's only the second job that's taken my fancy since taking redundancy in Oct 2015.  It's an assistant editor role for a publisher that has two magazines, and is based in nearby Totnes.  Pay is pretty rubbish but I'm not really doing it for the money at this stage.  I obviously have no experience in publishing at all (except for my limited Trotters role...), but most of the other attributes they are looking for I have (well organised, reasonable written comms, etc etc).  Hours seem to be flexible so hopefully still plenty of time to run, which is the main thing(!!!), so I'll see what happens.  If I don't get an interview, at least I can follow up afterwards and ask them what I'd need to do to get such a role.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree, Shades. Class cancelled.
    I have to ask - I know you are a bit older than I am so how do you manage to keep on cranking out these 70 mile weeks without falling apart? I know you favour heart rate training but I'm guessing there's more to it than that.

Good luck Big G!
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    SK - hope you get to the bottom of why you've been feeling rubbish. Sub 20 parkrun is still decent shape though!

Shades/Cal /Big G/Ian - glad your respective niggles/injuries are all feeling better.

I hadn't run all week but did 8.5 miles easy (turned out to be 8-8:15 pace) last night with my running club. Miserable weather, very rainy and massive puddles everywhere. Was going to do 10 miles but got cut short as one of our group injured their knee. Probably for the best, I felt pretty good in general but calves were getting a bit tight and I have squash tonight. Still have a cough but feel like it's improving. Need to try and get out for more than 1 run a week!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-love your version of a later start  :D
    Shades-Sounds like your council are using all their budget up before they lose it in April if not used.
    Near 8 miles after work today,longest since GC,if I do 6 after work tomorrow I'll end up with 25 for the week,not quite where I was at.Busy weekend in work so won't be anymore until Monday,hopefully keep improving and increase the miles again next week.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - will be interesting to see if they do put on a marathon, if they do you'll have to co opt a few Trotters to run it.

Good luck with the job application.   Two job applications in 3 years, they should be honoured that their job has caught your eye.

Cal - age is not such a factor in distance running but of course it does catch up with all of us, I doubt I'll do a marathon PB again.   I keep 80-100% of my training at base training pace or your equivalent would be easy to long run pace.   Irrespective of age most runners get injured as they do too much faster training for their level of fitness.

Nick - good that you're on the mend.

Ian - 8 miles is significant increase in distance :)  and 25 miles for the week is great progress.

I don't think much of our road works are council expenditure, I think they are new gas or water mains.   I ran down to Big G's area today and lots more road works there, think that's new gas pipes?

Was cold and frosty this morning, had a good run though as quite pleasant with no wind and back improving to a 1/10.   Been food shopping and didn't even think about my back and felt nothing even carrying the shopping :)  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ian, it sounds like you're on your way back, which is great news!!

Shades, yeah it's gas works around my way.

I was looking at an IT job the other day, in Exeter. But I don't really want to go back to that to be honest. I know if I leave it too long my IT skills won't be relevant, but I know I don't enjoy it (of course I know I'm not guaranteed to walk into an IT job in any case). If I do get another job, I want to actually try and enjoy it rather than kind of dread going to work, but I know I am lucky to be in the position of having some kind of flexibility around that.

I did a nice 4.5 mile run this morning, with a hill or two thrown in for good measure. I'm seeing a friend for lunch and I have a meeting later, but I'm hoping to do some kind of a speed session later if I can.

Interesting article there. I'll reread it properly a bit later but a quick scan through and I saw this, which of course we all know to be true: "Overall, runners who train at an overall pace that’s slower than their marathon pace do better".
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    It did lots of different bits of analysis but in summary - faster runners and those who convert better from HM to M run more miles and train slower (for a given MP). Which is presumably old news to most in this thread.
  • Options
    Nice article, give me a marathon time 3 mins better than my PB, so quite accurate I would say!
    Not surprising about the train slower race faster!!
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Anecdotally, my conversion last year from half in Feb (97:xx) to marathon in April would have been an "R" factor of 1.08. So that's a pretty decent conversion. I probably ran a better race in my marathon though than the half though.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Good article,gives me a time 10 mins faster than my marathon time but I know I've not converted from my half time well yet.
    Big G-It does start to feel like I'm on my way back,still feel it so a while until I'm fully back but happy to be running again.
    I've been thinking about races,I know Manchester will be too soon to do myself justice,so I need to decide do I jog round and see how it goes or miss it and find another race after to be able to give it a proper go.Its hard as I don't know how long until I feel race ready again,there's Southampton April 22 or MK May 7th.Mk is easier as can go on the day via train but soton we could combine with seeing the daughter but it's only an extra 2 weeks from Manchester.
  • Options
    Very good article it says I should have a 6 min better pb so here's hoping I can achieve it.

6 mile easy run today in very mild conditions. Wore my new Brooke's running shoes today really like them feel very comfortable on my feet.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I haven't read the article in full yet either but training pace v marathon pace jumped out at me too.   Before my next marathon I might work out my average pace for the 16 weeks prior to the race and see how that compares.

I know what you mean about dreading going to work, sometimes I stop and look at all the traffic heading to work and think how many of them actually do what they really want to do.

Ian - I don't know how late you can leave it to enter either of those 2 marathons, but I don't think either are races that you have to rush to get an entry in.    We have quite a few weeks until Manchester yet.

Just waiting for the 7 a.m. Pilates booking frenzy and then out for my run, looks like it will nice weather for a run this morning 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Bit chilly out there but good running weather.   Did my lake route, lots of ducks including the mandarin and his wife.   Slightly miscalculated the distance as I was doing a loop with a bit of out and back in the middle, meant to do 10 miles and I ended up doing 11 which was a mental arithmetic error on my part.  I can't seem to do mental arithmetic when running :o    Cheese on toast now :)
  • Options
    I did something I've not done before, which was to go and do parkrun the day before a race. It's an experiment of sorts, but it was also because the weather was perfect and after a rest day yesterday, I just wanted to run. I planned on taking it easy but as it was a Herne Hill Harriers takeover (which was the reason I didn't volunteer as I'd normally do before a race) I found myself following the 28 minute pacer. I ended up with an official time of 27:52 - my fastest this year and 1st in age group. More satisfying is the fact I paced it well so I got faster with each lap.
    I'm interested to see how it affect me tomorrow. Tomorrow's not a target race and I'm not on for PB, else I'd not have done the parkrun. But I'm hoping to do MP or better, so I guess we'll see.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - good luck today at your half marathon, and anyone else racing too.  

I would race it if I were you so you know where you are in your marathon training.  You've done most of your training at MP so there's no point of doing another run at that pace.

Just waiting for daylight to go out for my run, think I'll do my hilly route today. :)
  • Options
    JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Good luck Cal and all other racers today. Me, I’m off to work soon, then it’s back to part time next week and some time to run!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, not sure what I'd do with those marathons being so close together.  2 weeks isn't much time to improve if you think you won't be ready for Manchester.  Is there one a couple of months out from Manchester you could have a look at, but I suppose then hot weather could be a factor.  Did you enter Liverpool?

Cal, good luck with the race today, and anyone else racing.

Steven, I bought a couple of new pairs of shoes too.  I bought a new pair of Asics off-roaders and a pair of Asics that I use for racing.  I don't do much off-road but the shoes I do wear don't fit brilliantly in that they're fine for the odd parkrun, but I don't think I'd want to wear them for a marathon.  I'm doing an off-road marathon in March so treat myself to a new pair.  I got them for £50 a pair from Sportsshoes so it wasn't too bad.  I am actually thinking abbot changing my training shoes to be the same as the ones I use for racing.  They are really light but also wear really well.  I've got 4 pairs of the ones I currently use for racing now (2 pairs still in the box, with the other two I use just for racing and nothing else), whereas the two pairs I use for training are on their way out in terms of mileage, but I'm not sure if I'll replace them.  

Shades, would this be something you'd be concerned about in terms of of racing and training in the same model all the time, or is it really just down to comfort?  I think I'd keep two pairs just for training and two pairs just for racing, so they'd get switched regularly.

I checked my times using that formula and it gives me a 3:26 (actual PB is 3:29), so something to work on.  In terms of a Half-Marathon conversion, one thing I still haven't got right is that I know I can properly "race" a Half.  By that I mean go out at my target pace and feel like I'm hanging on at the end but manage to hold it.  I haven't been able to do that in the marathons I've targeted for a good time.

As for me, I did a 12x45-sec effort on Friday, after the 4.5 miler I did in the morning.  I didn't run yesterday, but hoping to get out a bit later today.  Need to start thinking about what I'm taking to Malta - looking forward to it :)  

I went out yesterday to see Exeter City with a friend (they lost...).  There were people coughing and spluttering all around me and all I could think was "stay away from me - I've got marathons coming up!!!!".
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-good luck today.
    Big G-Im thinking I won't be doing Manchester but may only be a couple of weeks away,hence Southampton,realistically I'm probably going to look at MK,as that's 11 weeks from now so hopefully get some miles in,all depends on how it goes really as it was sore yesterday but great again today.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jugula - part time work and time for running is a much better work/life balance :)  

Big G - I wouldn't advise doing all your running, training and racing in the same shoes, ideally at least 5 different models to rotate.   You could certainly do your long runs in your race shoes though.  I have some race shoes in my training stable but only as they have reached too high a mileage for racing but are still OK for shorter runs and some newer Adrenalines a model that I no longer use for racing.  I have 11 different model of shoes for training out of 14 total pairs...I'm not suggesting that you need that many though ;)  

Which formula did you use to calculate that marathon time?   This one? 

https://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-calculators-improvedriegel.php?hours=&minutes=&seconds=&update=Update

If so, remember that predictor is based on Fetch users so includes all those that didn't do much training etc. so it predicts much slower times than are realistic.  If I use my actual half PB it gives me a marathon PB of 4:57, my marathon PB is 4:24.   If I use the half marathon time I was capable of but didn't get it predicts a marathon time of 4:44, 20 minutes slower than my PB.  

Not only that but I was injured when I got my marathon PB and could have done 4:19 on the day if I hadn't decided to nurse my injury for the last few miles, I knew I could still get a PB and I was hating the course so deliberately slowed down.  In hindsight I wouldn't have done that, I should have gone for the 4:19 as my injury lasted for ages and I never reached that level of fitness again.

Best predictor for marathon time is half marathon x2 + 7 minutes

I hope you've survived germ free.  Marathon running turns us into hypochondriacs at times. 

Ian - can you defer Manchester?

Did my hilly route, town road is still closed due to road works so a few more cars on my route which was a bit annoying.   Not a brilliant run, felt a bit tired so will ditch my planned 2nd run of the day, still a good week though, 65 miles.