Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I know it puts some members off of going away with the club, but a core group go on most of the trips the club organises, so it tends to end up like that.  Chair came with me to that media awards ceremony and I felt the need to tell him to keep his top on!

I did 5 miles this morning, but I nearly turned back after a mile.  I just felt really ploddy, achey and a bit tired.  When I set off, I had 7 miles in mind but stopped at 5.  It did get a bit easier after a couple of miles, but overall it seemed unnecessarily hard (I was running at an average of 10min/mile pace).  This is my problem with doing a few marathons - my training mileage drops significantly, as so far this week I've only done 9 miles.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Your run sounds a lot like mine, Shades. Six miles in light rain with a couple of faster miles at the end. Some tight spots but I concentrated on posture and being light on my feet and I felt pretty good. Lots of energy - I'd have loved to do a longer run but I have to leave soon to get to the airport.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it is a shame, I'm sure there's a lot of Trotters that would like to go on a club trip.

I'm sure you'll get your energy back soon.   The travelling just adds to the tiredness, you'll be fine in a day or so.

I've not seen any improvement in the forecast for Sunday yet, in fact it's worsened slightly.  At 9 a.m. forecast to be -2 with a feels like of -10 and a warning of snow, although the snow warning is very general.  Today I was talking to a woman at Pilates she lives on Dartmoor and she said they always grit the roads to the prison even on a Saturday night, but not the other roads.

Cal - have a lovely time, hope the snow doesn't stop you going where you had planned to go in Vienna.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, are you a definite DNS then, or are you waiting a bit longer to decide?  If you're definitely a DNS I won't pack the books.

Yeah, I did do a lot of walking whilst in Barca and although I slept okay, the travelling is always tiring.  Hopefully I'll be back to a bit more like my old self in time for Tavy 13.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I can't see the forecast improving so I'm a definite DNS.   I remember last year there was a strong headwind at 10 miles when we got up to the top, I can't imagine how cold that will be this year, the forecast I've got it for Tavistock which is in the valley, not for the top of the moor.   It's the possibility of ice that is my major concern not the cold, my ankle sprain has made me more nervous of ice than I was before.

I'll see you at Great Welsh or if you want to exchange the books sooner we could always meet for a coffee.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah a coffee would be good.

Cal, enjoy Vienna.  I hope the park is open for you!

It's a nice morning here, so hoping to get out for a run.  I have some new trail shoes that I haven't ran in yet, so the plan is to go out on some easy-ish trails to test them out.  I bought them as when I did City to Sea last year, I did it in road shoes which was slow progress for the muddy/hilly bits.  Also, this upcoming LDWA event may be muddy in places, so decent trail shoes may be helpful.  I currently have a pair of Adidas trail shoes which although okay for the odd parkrun etc, I don't think they'd be suitable for a longer event.  The new pair are Asics ones, so hopefully they'll be okay.  I'll report back later :)  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good time to try out the trail shoes, lots of flooded fields and everywhere is very muddy.   I've only ever had one pair of trail shoes and they were Asics Trabuco and they were brilliant and lasted a long time.

Right we'll sort a coffee, and maybe cake, out next week :) 

I wanted to take a rest day today as my ankle was a little sore a couple of times yesterday but as I might be grounded by ice at sometime over the weekend I thought I'd better go out while I can.  Just 5 miles easy and had a really nice run, ankle was fine.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I had a look at the running stuff in Lidl's this morning, nearly bought a gorgeous running jacket but resisted as I don't need it.   Did buy a pair of running socks though.   Running tops looked really good too.
    They didn't have the Kinesio tape in our local Lidl's but I don't need it as I bought the multi pack last time it was on offer and I still haven't finished the first roll.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Tavy 13 have posted this in FB, you've probably seen it....

Like all of us, you've no doubt been watching the weather forecast for Sunday.
    Currently the intention is to still go ahead.
    We will update the website and FB again on Saturday lunchtime with our final decision.
    Fingers crossed!!

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, no I hadn't seen that, but I'll keep an eye on their page.

I did 7.5 miles, with about 50/50 off-road/on-road.  Really enjoyed it and the new shoes felt fine, especially off-road.  They were a bit stiff on-road compared to road shoes which I suppose is to be expected, but they'll be fine for the events I have in mind.

It was a great run but I had no strength at all on the hills, which doesn't bode well for Sunday, but maybe in two more days I'll feel a bit better again.  Today's run was much better than yesterday's, anyway!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm sure you'll be fine for Sunday's hills, if not you're a fine walker up a steep hill.  

Glad the new shoes feel good.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think I've made a decision about that potential 3 in 3 days.  I was thinking of doing Plym Trail, North Dorset Village Marathon, and then Milton Keynes marathon, but I think I am now not going to do Plym Trail.  I know it's local, but I don't overly enjoy it and the travelling around would be really tiring (plus Plymouth is in the opposite direction of Dorset and MK).  If I just do North Dorset and Milton Keynes it would be a lot easier I think in terms of logistics, so I think I'm doing to do that and my first potential triple can wait for another time.  Another reason is that as it's only a month from DD I don't know how I will react after a triple so it maybe best to play it a bit safe with that in mind as well.  I've entered NDVM and MK and I suppose I can always change my mind about Plym Trail nearer the time, but at the moment I think it'll just be the double.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Yes, that's a good plan in using the events as training runs for ultras. I like to do that but sometimes becomes a bit expensive!

Did 9 miles on Thursday, but HR reading for final 6 miles just got progressively higher. I kept the pace steady 9's for first 7 miles then 8:30s for last 2, however HR was in the 180's for the last 3 miles, so presumably a rouge reading for this run, as I felt fine. 16 miles planned for tomorrow, looks like it will be freezing cold!!
  • Options
    Big_G interested to hear how you got on with the Trail Shoes.
    Thanks to a nice Cheltenham win yesterday I brought a pair of Inov-8 Roclite 290's. I have the Maverick Original Dorset booked for May and then the South Downs Marathon in June, so I was going to need some good trail shoes. I am just unsure whether to try them out before Brighton Marathon, or wait until afterwards. So tempting!

Shades- After Brighton I have approx 4 weeks in between each race. Could you give me a some guidance on how to structure my training whilst giving myself enough time to recover from Brighton. I have some good off road routes that I can run, just not sure on what volume/frequency I should aim for. I have no specific time goals, I just want to finish and enjoy both Trail races.

For me, nice Tempo run last night. For my 3 miles at speed I managed 7:45's which felt good. Really surprised how well my run's have felt this week. Going to move my 15 mile long run to Saturday morning due to the snow expected on Sunday.
    Can't believe we are forecast snow again.....! Crazy weather.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    OTB, good news your running seems to be going well.  I think I'd be tempted to do a short run in the trail shoes, but that's just me.  Maybe a parkrun or something where I'm not worried about pace, just to try them out.  On my run today I had to stop a couple of times to loosen the laces off, so a short run helps sort that kind of thing out.

I've been pencilling in my rough marathon plan for the year and, all being well, Sept/Oct will be a busy time again.  If I manage to do the marathons I have pencilled in (and I know that's a big if with DNSs etc) I will still be able to reach my target for this year, but there's not much wriggle room if I do end up missing one or two for whatever reason.  Main thing I've tried to factor in is a bit of a gap before Loch Ness - if I'm in shape, I want to go for a good time at that one, so I suppose that's my target Autumn race.  Also, in terms of logistics/cost, I haven't decided what to do about York and Chester as they're on consecutive weekends and a long drive for me. 

But before all that, I suppose now I'm gearing up for DD being my focus in June.  If I can get a good time in at an event before then I will do, but the attention seems to be shifting a bit now, with the other events I have planned feeling more like prep for DD.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Not sure how many races are going to be on this weekend as seem to be lots of cancellations already.
    Good luck if anyone races.
    Big G-have you thought about flying to Chester or York?probably a lot quicker than driving and similar price.
    As for me,another poor week,I went to run on Tuesday and my Achilles was bad but worse still my right leg started hurting aswell,not sure if it's the start of tendinitis there aswell.
    Didn't post earlier as I was giving up on running earlier this week if it was tendinitis in both legs.I was surprised to be thinking like that but it shows how much it's come to be part of my life that the thought of a long time out has made me like that,as it is I've decided that I enjoy running too much to stop,even if it means I go slow for a long time and can't race properly then so be it.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, sorry to hear you're in a bad way.  Maybe a complete rest is needed?  I'm talking 4-6 weeks off or something like that, with no running at all, and then only come back if it's totally gone.  Don't give up - it does go, but I do know how frustrating it can be :(    You're right that running becomes a massive part of our lives, so maybe try and think of it in the way that if you need say 4-6 weeks off of no running now, it'll mean you can run consistently once it's gone.  I.E. I know 4-6 weeks seems a lot, but in the big scheme of things, if it means you can continue running long term, it's not too bad.  But I know thinking like that is easier said than done.  I know for me though when I made the decision about not running for a while, it became slightly easier, rather than having to make a decision each day about whether I could run or not.  I still posted on here and was involved with my club etc - I know it's not the same as running, but it's the way I got through it.  I think it's the timing of these things as you were obviously running really well and thinking of GFA etc and going from that to not running is tough.  But you'll be back!

Ian, yeah, I've been looking at all options for getting there.  It's crazy how much the trains are.  They're really my preferred mode of transport for longer journeys, but seem to be a non-starter due to the price.  I can get to Leeds from Newquay Airport for £60 return, but then with the £40 airport parking, 2hr each way trip to Newquay (which is in the wrong direction to Leeds!), plus £20 return to get into York and back from the airport, I am wondering if I may do the 6hr drive (my car is economical).  The B&B I have has free parking, so reluctantly I may do that for York.  The trains for York for the dates I need aren't out yet so I suppose they may be cheaper when they do come out if I book quickly (I've set up an email alert), so I'll wait for that and then decide.  I haven't properly looked at Chester yet, and I haven't entered that race at the moment.  

I'm going to trot around a parkrun this morning (it'll be 6-miles in total) and then keep my fingers crossed that tomorrow's race goes ahead.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Big G - I think that's a good idea to drop the Plym Trail from your plans.  North Dorset and MK will make a good double.  North Dorset starts fairly early so that's an advantage for your drive to MK later.  I've doubled North Dorset and Belfast a couple of times.

Loch Ness is a good race to target for your autumn race.   It's not a tiring journey.

Yes, that's unfortunate that you have 2 long drives 'up North' on consecutive weekends.  I've got Chorley on the 6th Oct so I have to make that awful journey up the M6 on a Friday :'(   I haven't got that many races in Sept/Oct as not so many road events to do but I am going to have a go at the 24 hour and I'll probably need some recovery time from that.   Wolverhampton and Nottingham marathons have now been axed.   I see that Birmingham has been cancelled too, but I think that's just for this year
    1SteveMac said:
    Shades - Yes, that's a good plan in using the events as training runs for ultras. I like to do that but sometimes becomes a bit expensive!

Did 9 miles on Thursday, but HR reading for final 6 miles just got progressively higher. I kept the pace steady 9's for first 7 miles then 8:30s for last 2, however HR was in the 180's for the last 3 miles, so presumably a rouge reading for this run, as I felt fine. 16 miles planned for tomorrow, looks like it will be freezing cold!!
    Steve - it can be relatively inexpensive if you stay away from the big or overpriced marathons and drive on the day.   For example Taunton marathon is £23/25 entry fee and a bronze graded event so well organised.  I've just entered Hereford and that was the same price but I have booked an overnight stay for that one.

Are you using a chest strap for your HR?   Only time I get rogue high readings is if there's thunder/lightening  in the area although I may not realise that at the time.

OTB - congrats on your Cheltenham win and glad you put the winnings to good use.  No reason why you can't try out your new shoes on shorter runs.

Re the 4 weeks between your marathons, I don't know how quickly you recover but you'll still be marathon fit from your training so you want to focus on recovering as quickly as you can from Brighton.   After the race plenty fluids and food and sleep, next day a gentle recovery run then the rest of the week short easy runs.   The speed of your recovery will dictate how much to do between the 2 marathons so we will deal with that at the time as it's a time you need to be kind to yourself.

Ian - injury to us distance runners is far more than just the physical injury but don't give up or even think of giving up.   Big G had a long spell of tendonitis and mamafox even longer but they both came through it.   And it doesn't mean that you will always be at the mercy of tendonitis.   But up until now you've sailed through the first years of your running with barely a twinge, most marathon runners start the injury process in their 2nd year of running.   You mustn't give up hope.

Your other leg being sore may be that you are running in a way, even subconsciously, that you're trying to protect the injured achilles, this immediately puts additional pressure on the other leg and it's very common to then pick up an injury in the other leg.   When I ran with a cut heel at Loch Ness I picked up a groin hip injury because I was trying not to make my heel hurt any more, I didn't realise at the time I was doing it.

Just waiting for the 7 a.m. booking frenzy for my Pilates class, then out for my run.   The one disadvantage of running early in the morning is that I usually run at the coldest time of the day, I seem to live in winter kit.   But today while you're all lying in bed  ;) I will be running at the warmest time of the day, but the temp is due to drop a few degrees while I'm out for my run and I won't be going too far today.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah I'm still not sure about Chester.  I know it's really well rated, but I've wanted to do Yorkshire for a while and I'm in that one.  I'll have a think.  There's always next year :)  

I did parkrun today and although earlier I said I'd plod around, it ended up being a hard effort - mainly because it was so cold and blustery at the start, so I wanted to get going!  I'm not sure what my time is at the moment as I didn't stop/start my watch for the parkrun, but I was really pleased with my effort especially in those blustery conditions.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - pencil Chester in for next year then, they usually do early bird entries before end of December so you can enter 2019 then.   Focus on Yorkshire for this 2018.

Was a lot colder when I got back from my run than when I went out, think the wind changed direction.   I'm not going out again today and might not run tomorrow either depending on if there's ice or not.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Parkrun time was 21:32, which isn't too bad in those conditions - 12th out of 159 finishers for my 90th parkrun.  Interestingly that's just under 7s, but a few of my miles at last week's marathon were around that.  That's probably partly why it all went wrong in the last 6 miles last week though, bearing in mind 3:14:59 is 7:27s!  I'm hoping I'll get to my 100th parkrun this year too, but that's not a goal as such, but with 10 to go and plenty of weeks left it is a possibility.  

I haven't been keeping up to date with it, but parkrun have changed their T-Shirt order process, so hopefully all that will have bedded in by the time I get to my 100th parkrun.  I know when I ordered my 50 T Shirt it was easy as parkrun had a partnership with Wiggle, but that partnership has stopped now, and the shirt supplier has changed.

It's odd to think that this time last week in Barca I was getting worried about the heat, whereas this week there're are loads of races getting cancelled due to the potential ice and snow!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I think I got my Chester place for 25 this year on the day of last year's race.
    Shades/Big G-I am going to carry on running,I think I need to decide do I want to run more or race fast times more,if it's running then I can carry on and take it easier but if it's racing then take Big G's advice about a complete break.At this moment i'm thinking about just running so may look at an ultra again as that took less out of me than my marathon due to pace rtf and worry about times when I'm better.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ian - yeah, I noticed that there were a couple of different tiers of pricing for the event.  I'll try and get early next year I think, and forget about it for this year.

Tavy 13 is cancelled.  I have to say, the organisers took quite a while to make the decision and from a Club Champs perspective I had club mates messaging and calling me asking what was going on.  The organisers have made the right decision though I think, and in fact it's really the only decision they could make, as UKA made some announcement which would potentially have impacted the race organisers' insurance if they went ahead.  From a Club Champs perspective I'll have to wait and see if they come up with a new date, and if they do and it clashes with an existing CC race, I'll have to find another race.  My own chances of completing the CC have diminished, as I have a fairly busy few weeks now, but fingers crossed any new date will fall on a weekend I'm free, although that seems unlikely!
  • Options
    Ian- sorry to hear your going through a tough time. Hopefully you will carry on running in one way or another I'm sure you will decide on what's best for you. 

Good luck to everyone who has a race this weekend in what looks like it's going to be tough conditions.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I guess the delay for Tavy 13 announcing the cancellation was that they were taking advice and if they had to wait for UKA to give advice it's a miracle they're not still waiting.  Sensible decision I think as although the snow hasn't settled here if the roads freeze it would be quite a treacherous drive too.   I wonder what they will decide on re postponement, maybe they'll run it the same day they do their shorter race in October, we'll have to wait and see.

I wonder why parkrun switched from Wiggle?  Although I have noticed that over the years parkrun have not been successful at keeping their sponsors on board considering that parkrun has grown so much.

Ian - sometimes we all have to reassess our immediate and sometimes our long term goals and your first goal should be to recover fully from that injury.   I don't think switching to focus on completing an ultra will necessarily do that.   We are all more likely to get injured when doing speedwork but that doesn't mean you will never run a fast race.  Tendonitis is an overuse injury and that's the sort of injury that distance runners get, unfortunately it's just part of the sport, the worst part, you've been really lucky so far so this is hitting you hard as you're just not used to being injured.  But you will recover.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I've noticed that about parkrun too.  I could be wrong, but I think this will be their fourth different shirt supplier; it's certainly their third.  On the face of it, I'd have thought that sponsors would want to be involved with the organisation, but I know nothing about marketing/sponsorship and the funding side of things.  I just had a quick look at their current sponsors/supporters and I see that Three (the mobile firm) are no longer involved, and I remember them being involved for a long time.  Obviously, from a runner's point of view, it's free to run so I suppose parkrun must drive a hard bargain with the suppliers, but I don't know how these things work.  I see their main sponsor is a health insurance firm now.

I think Tavy 13 was the last local race to make the announcement.  Weston Super Mare, Grizzly, Exeter 10K (same organiser as Granite Way, so he's been unlucky with race cancellations!) and a Half in Falmouth all announced something really quickly, but Tavy 13 were a bit delayed.  Having said that, Grizzly said they were going to run a shorter race instead, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.
  • Options
    Just received an email to inform that the Alloa half marathon is cancelled tomorrow absolutely gutted I was really looking forward to it. Totally understand the cancellation duty the organisers getting advice that we are expecting about 6 cm of snowfall during the night with freezing temperatures and around 30/40 winds expected at race start time it would be to dangerous not just for the runners but the brilliant volunteers and spectators. Hopefully it will be rescheduled soon. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, parkrun have lost a lot of big name sponsors along the way including Lucozade who I guess would only be after a mailing list of potential customers.  It's not as if they have to supply the runners with free goodies.   I'm not sure why they can't keep their sponsors.

I guess they're pretty tough in Tavistock weather wise being on the edge of the moors and maybe they didn't think it was going to be as serious as it's turned out to be.   Poor Pete with the Exeter 10k he's really not being lucky with his races.   I expect the Grizzly lot would love these conditions, and as an off road event it's probably safer for runners than a road event, still the difficulty of driving on the hills.   Maybe some of the races have cancelled as their medical services won't attend in these conditions.   A lot of runners travel and stay overnight for the Grizzly so it might be that they're doing a shorter event for those that have already made the journey to Beer.

steven - so sorry to hear that your race is cancelled too, I didn't realise you were getting this weather too.

We've had about an inch of snow here which has settled on the cars and gardens but the roads and pavements are clear but they are wet and I can't tell if they have black ice so I'm just not going to risk it today.    I was hoping I'd wake to a layer of fresh snow everywhere that I could do at least a short run on, fresh snow is nice to run on.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes I suppose the fact that I had to look to see who parkrun's sponsors are says something.  I think I may have seen a Vitality flag up once, but other than that I didn't realise the rest were involved, although if I read the parkrun emails properly probably the other sponsors are mentioned on those.  They have a messaging service (aql) which are still involved and have been involved for a long time.  It's that service that texts runners their times, again all for free for the runner.

Our young Trotter is disappointed as he had an elite entry to Reading Half, which he's tapered for, but the race was cancelled this morning.  He's trying to find another Half for next weekend.  It's a shame for him as I expect if he finds a local Half he'll be running on his own and possibly not get his best time, whereas possibly in Reading he'd have been running in a group.  I don't know if the organisers put him up in a hotel or if he had to pay for that himself.

Regarding Grizzly, I've never done it as obviously I don't really like off-road and it just hasn't appealed to me.  I can't see me doing it in the medium future as I wouldn't do a 20-mile race in place of a marathon, as I obviously have half an eye on marathon numbers, but if it was a marathon I may consider it I suppose, as it's local.  On their Facebook group, most were supportive or understood the decision but a couple were "disgusted" (their words) and asking for refunds etc.  I couldn't help thinking "be careful what you wish for" as at the end of the day my understanding is that it's just organised by a running club and not a firm.  Some people were assuming they'd be insured for race cancellation out of their control, but that is not necessarily the case (I obviously don't know for sure with the Grizzly, but races don't automatically get insurance for cancellations).  One said they should consider changing the month for next year....what rubbish!

It did all get me thinking though about what would happen if we had freak weather conditions for something like London Marathon.  Nightmare!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steven, sorry to hear your Half has been cancelled.    Hopefully you can find another one to see how your training has been going.