Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    that should have read, I did run 10 miles in the last 3/4 months
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - you could make your best guess of what you think you could run a 10 mile race now and plug that into a calculator.   Then use those paces until you do your half marathon in March.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Got back home around 5pm and straight away got changed and went out for a run.  I did 7-miles and had a real spring in my step, which meant I had a very enjoyable run out.  No real plans for the rest of the week although hopefully I'll get out most days.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Shades-That's a great loss,well done.That's something I'd like to do but the reality is that I know I won't.
    Big G-Well done on avoiding a repeat of last year.
    Usual 8 mile after work,felt good again today,so happy I shortened yesterday's as that has given me a bit of recovery.
  • Options
    Going with the IT style approach of turning it off and on again. Will be friday before i test it.
    Shades - Er yes it may be from personal experience ;)
    Currently 1/4 way through my XMas pressie to myself. Its this beastie https://www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk/giant-toblerone-4-5kg-bar.html
    NB i got mine from Amazon for £45

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - must have felt good to be out running in the fresh air again. 

I guess I can add Marrakech to the list for next week?   How warm will it be there?

Ian5 said:
    Shades-That's a great loss,well done.That's something I'd like to do but the reality is that I know I won't.
    Ian - I said to the instructor yesterday that I wish I'd done it years ago, but in reality when I was working I just didn't have the time or energy to do it as marathon training was as much as I could manage. 

Keith - you should be using that Toblerone for weight training by lifting it not eating it. ;) 

I guess your map problem is not something to do with an option to not display the map on public websites?   Wasn't there talk of not showing the map after runners/cyclists had their houses burgled as they were starting their run/cycle from their home rather than down the road?

6 miles today, ILTHR for the mid 4 miles, was harder today as tough headwind on the way out and HR got too high and then it's harder to get it back on track.

Pilates and gym, upper body later.    Won't be able to try new lower body programme until next week after my marathon.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, the on/off approach is the first step in any issue like this :)    Nice pressie to yourself there.

Shades, yes, it was very nice being out yesterday.  I'm still not 100% sure about Marrakech yet, but at the start of the race (8:30am), according to the BBC the temperature is due to be 7deg, rising to 16 at 1pm, and 18 at 3pm.  My running seems to be going quite well but probably my marathon endurance isn't what it should be, what with the training I missed at the back end of last year.  I’m sure I could get around it though if I pace it accordingly. 

I have an electrician coming around this morning, so only managed a short run this morning (4-miles).  Quite windy out there today, but not too cold.
  • Options
    Holy crap, Keith, that's a lot of chocolate!

Shades, I get you. I find it hard to do anything other than run when I'm hitting my high mileage weeks, and that's without doing a job. I am trying, though!

Big G, you should be done well before 3 I hope!

11 miles this morning. I was intending to do 10 but there was a really lovely sunrise - lots of pinks and oranges - so I rerouted so I could run towards it for as long as possible. (Needless to say, it wasn't a fast run!)
  • Options
    Cal - Nice MLR.
    Big G - nice run, those sound like decent temps.
    Ian - sounds like the shorter run worked then.
    Cozy - just relax on the run and don't worry about pace. If you don't know what pace to run, make sure you can have a conversation on the way round your run, that's normally a good indicator.
    14 miler this morning, just easy pace as an early start at 4:10!!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal/Steve, yes, not bad temperatures for running really.  The reason why I'm still not 100% sure though is that I'm not sure if it'll be dusty there.  If it is very dusty, I may give it a miss anyway due to the chest issues I've had.  But if it's clear I expect I'll at least turn up at the start line and just take it steady.  I'm reluctant to say this after the year I had last year, but if everything goes well over the next few weeks, the one I'll target for a decent time is Manchester.

Steve, very early start there!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    X-Post Cal, good article there.  Best of luck to her.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'll put Marrakech on the list then as remember we don't do retrospective races on here ;)  and I expect you'll do the whole thing.   That's not bad temperatures, a bit cold to start but I expect it will warm up quickly which will be good for you and quite pleasant if you have to take it easy for some of the last few miles.

Steve - that's a long run before work. :o   I was up at 4:10 too but woke early, didn't go out until after 5 a.m., I had an extra coffee :)

Cal - that's a great article and kudos for your club too.    She's certainly earned her place.

• Options
    Well that's my last lunchtime jaunt around Glasgow until after my Marathon in a few months!

As of Monday I'm on the super shades marathon plan so I'm joining the early risers, at least for the shorter midweek runs, as the MWLR increases I may not have time and have to bite the bullet of heading out once kids in bed.

My theory is, much like Marcothon, it's just pure habit, once I'm in the habit it'll be fine.

I may reward myself with one of those 5kg Toblerones in May!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cozy, certainly once you get into a routine with the training, I think it becomes easier.  It then becomes a part of life I think.

OH was on a course this evening so on a bit of a whim (and because the rain had stopped) I decided to go and do a 5x1k rep session with Torbay Tri.  You may remember that I joined as a second claim member last year, but then soon after did my shoulder in and then hardly did any speed work for the rest of the year.  There seem to be big changes in the club as Chairman, Treasurer and Membership Secretary are all stepping down at the end of this month.

Anyway, the session was a good one although very windy so it was hard work.  I live a mile away ad jogged down, then we did a 1-mile warm up before getting into the session.  It was a tough one and I was pretty slow in comparison to what I have done in the past, but I've not done a session like this for months.  With that in mind I did enjoy it, although it's laid it out that I have a lot of work to do!  With warmup and jog recovery etc, it was 7-miles in total.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Cozy - I'm so pleased that you're looking forward to your marathon training and also that you will be joining us early morning runners.  Running early in the day can take some adjustment but IMHO it's the best time of the day to run and for those that work it means you can go to work smug in the knowledge that whatever the day throws at you you've already done your day's training.   I think the main disadvantage of early morning running is having to go to bed earlier.

Big G - good to hear that you went to your 2nd claim club for a speed session as I know you enjoy club sessions.

I too went to my club last night, we're only a small club circa 50 members but they meet 2 or 3 times a week.   However I've never trained with them as I prefer to train alone and in the morning and I also train by HR so my visit last night was just to collect my new club vest and cap.   On a Thursday night they've started a Couch to 5k group, this was the 3rd week and it was good to see for such a small club that they had 15ish there taking the course plus a few club members there to do the coaching.

8 miles this morning, nice morning but a sharp cold wind. Waited until it just got light but had to endure lots of traffic but despite that I had a good run.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, that's good about your club doing the Couch to 5k session.  Are you going to wear your new kit this weekend?

Regarding Torbay Tri, I'm sure I've said it before, but Torbay Tri (and Torbay AC) have a lot of quicker runners.  When I train at Trotters I suppose I'm kind of towards the front of the 2nd group, whereas yesterday I was definitely middle of the pack.  Strange how some clubs attract faster runners.  They're friendly, welcoming etc etc, but quick!  I know a couple of quick Trotters who train with Torbay AC once a week.  One of the lads I ran with on Saturday is a 1:17 Half runner so has no one to train with at Trotters really, but at Torbay AC there are half a dozen all around that speed or quicker so he feels that's what he needs to push on.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good session there,dreading doing stuff like that again,that's if I ever do.
    Took yesterday as a rest as the rain was horrific and I was due 1.
    People didn't know what to buy me for xmas so I put some of the money together and bought an ultrasonic machine,not the type of thing I'd have bought myself,and have been using it daily since,not sure if I'm just having a good spell but my Achilles has been the best in a long time for the last couple of weeks,not even limping in the mornings,hope it continues.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just seen that Kipchoge and Bekele have both been announced for London.If Berlin Bekele turns up it could be one the races of all time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    Shades, that's good about your club doing the Couch to 5k session.  Are you going to wear your new kit this weekend?

NO!  :'(  It was a vest that I collected, forecast is for 4 to 7 degrees, with a 'feels like' temp of 3 to 5 degrees, I hate racing in the cold so full on winter layers for me.   I only wear a baseball cap in a race in heavy rain but it's going to be dry and sunny.   I'd rather wet weather if it was mild.   
    I doubt the vest will get an airing until late April or more likely May, we'll see.   It's lovely though, bought a 2XU (one of my favourite brands) vest and Mavericks had it printed for me, we can buy our own and get it printed, means that we get the fit and fabric we each like.   When I was with the Trotters I never had a vest that fitted right.

Different clubs attract different runners, but Torbay AC take part in track events don't they?   So I guess would will attract faster runners.   Also the type of coaching/coaches has a lot to do with it.

Ian - that's great news on the achilles, the ultrasonic machine is doing it's stuff as you've certainly been doing some decent mileage too over the last few weeks.

Are you not tempted to race Sunday's half marathon?
  • Options
    Rough plan for today was go out early for a recovery run (6 miles), have breakfast, then go to the gym. What actually happened was it was raining heavily so I delayed my run until after 9 and then couldn't be arsed with the gym. Feel quite tired.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - think we had the heavy rain here during the night as lots of flooding and giant puddles again, but didn't rain for my run.  

Put your feet up for the rest of the day.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I am tempted,I have another in 2 weeks that was going to be my PB attempt.Thiught about running to marathon effort and seeing what the pace is like as I've done nothing faster than easy pace,apart from the race last weekend,since New York so have no idea how it will feel.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, interesting about that ultrasonic machine.  That will be potentially a great race at London for those two.

Shades, I think probably Trotters have a reputation for being more of a social club.  Many in the club are serious about their running, but it does sometimes feel that the social side of things is more/as important.  Torbay Tri/AC are a social/friendly group as well, but probably the emphasis is very much on the running/racing.  You're right that I do really enjoy those 1k sessions.  When I'm running well I feel that I get the most out of those sessions, but if I'm out of shape a bit they really expose it!  Last night's was a toughie, but still enjoyable.  I do hope to be able to go to a few more this year as it's ideal for where I live.  I was back home at around 7:30pm last night.

I have noticed quite a few Trotters are on Zwift now, too.  That's the virtual running system where people are running on treadmills, but running/racing with each other.  It seems to have become more popular recently.  It looks interesting to help with boredom on the treadmill, but I still prefer just getting out there.  I think I'd hardly get any use out of a treadmill, except on those few occasions when it's icy.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    A nice 7-miler late this afternoon.  Quite cold but I was dressed appropriately. Planning some miles before parkrun tomorrow if the weather stays okay.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-We went out to run 1 minute apart,great mins and all that.
    8 miles for me,weather was ok,good timing as it started raining just after I finished.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Shades-I am tempted,I have another in 2 weeks that was going to be my PB attempt.Thiught about running to marathon effort and seeing what the pace is like as I've done nothing faster than easy pace,apart from the race last weekend,since New York so have no idea how it will feel.
    Ian -  The reason I asked is that at this time of year we can have awful race conditions and in 2 weeks it could be the worst that the winter could throw at you and you'd miss your chance of running a target race time.   Maybe see how you feel on the start line tomorrow and how the weather is.

Big G - Re local clubs, Torbay AC is an athletic club too and I think they train at the rugby ground, I'm sure they used to have a grass track they'd marked out.   Trotters don't have training facilities such as that so naturally has become more a road/trail/social club.

Re Zwift, surely there can't be that many with a treadmill, I suppose they're using the treadmills in the gyms and using Zwift to relieve the boredom.  Mostly fairly novice runners I would think, any serious runner would get out there to run.

As yet this winter we've not had any icy conditions to prevent getting out to run, however it's looking a bit slippery this morning as the roads didn't dry before the frost last night.   I'm hoping the roads dry up today otherwise I won't be doing Plym Trail tomorrow, don't fancy driving down the hill to Clearbrook on an icy road, nor running on it either.

Rest day for me today.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, over the last couple of months or so, half a dozen Trotters have bought treadmills.  Most of them have kids so maybe it's easier for them to use a treadmill on occasion.  

Ian, nice run there :)  

Best laid plans didn't come to fruition this morning.  I set the alarm planning to do 6ish before parkrun....but no hot water.  Pressure was low on boiler so I started topping it up and it immediately started leaking :(  Turned everything off and called out a plumber, but not sure when he's coming at the moment.  Typical as OH's parents are coming today.

Torbay parkrun (my local) has been cancelled today due to icy conditions.  It's a tarmac track and a couple of corners do hold surface water a bit so it can get very slippery on those sections.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I hadn't thought about the fact the next one could have dodgy weather,will have a think and probably decide on the line as usual.
    Big G-A couple of my friends have treadmills for that reason.After 8/10 hours at work they dont all have the freedom to go running for an hour so find it ok to jump on the treadmill as they can still be in the house then.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a lot that have bought treadmills, must be catching.   I don't know anyone that has one, but they are ideal if there are childcare issues.

Bad news on the boiler today, hope the plumber arrives soon.   I think plumbers might be quite busy today.  :( 
    I've just been out to get petrol and a couple of things from Sainsburys and it's treacherous out there, ice everywhere and of course they never grit the roads round here at weekends.   It's still only zero degrees out there now and this is the start time of my race tomorrow.   Unless it thaws and then dries up everywhere I won't be running tomorrow, too dangerous to drive and too dangerous and cold to run.  :#