Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - JM sounds like a really nice guy, I hope he does well tomorrow too, he's had his share of disappointments.

NB also sponsor Callum Hawkins so he's in good company.
  • Options
    Shades - lol there would be zero chance of me doing anything immediatly after the quad trained or not trained ;) At most weather permitting i'd walk to and from work. I have a suspicion that as it doesn't really hurt much its more than likely none muscular but tendon/ligament related. I even struggled to be able to poke the calf to generate pain post Day 2 which probably points to referred pain onto the muscle where which ever it is attaches.
    Last weekend i was down Devon moving mother to Carlisle so i don't have a reason to go down any more. However i'll still be going down periodically for Davey's plym trails and maybe others. I'll just have to find a travelodge or premier inn. For Davey's i'll use Okehampton as its near to home so i can go visit people at the pub in the evenings. For others it will depend where the others are ofc.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to whoever else is racing this weekend and hope the weather is ok.
    Weather here is slightly better,just over 20° now and sat outside in shorts and tshirt,love the locals still in coats and heavy clothes.
    Expo all done,nice and easy pick up,got a jacket,makes a nice change from tshirts,very thin but looks nice and will do to keep another layer before races.
  • Options
    Good luck this weekend's racers.

Day off yesterday - parkrun today. I decided to repeat Southwark as it's a flat paved course and easy to get to. I didn't want to be off on a trek somewhere out of town as I have the half tomorrow.
    Southwark's quite a fast course and I was hopeful I could beat my previous best (25:11, set in 2018) but the wind didn't make that easy. My Garmin also did something weird - I must have mashed the buttons because instead of seeing my usual pace/distance data it just gave me the time. I had a fumble with it but at 5K pace that isnt' easy and made things worse. It did record my run but I had to wait for the results to come through to get the proper time and it was 25:09 - a two second PB. Better than nothing but not as fast as I wanted. Never mind.
    Tunde did come and meet me - I've not run with him since before Christmas so that was nice and we had a coffee after.

• Options
    Shades - I did read what you and Robert put and it definitely is going to be hard got me to hold a slower pace but I know I need to so today is going to be practice.. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - it's not just me with Garmin behaving in an odd way, it's most disconcerting and annoying.

Iain - just run at long run pace.  If you go too fast you will have a very painful last 60 odd miles.  Plan your walk/food breaks and try and stick to your plan.
  • Options
    Robert - Yes marathon du medoc is a bucket list race for me. Wine and running. What else does anyone need...<div>
    </div><div>Anyone done the Hampton court half? That’s what I’m running tomorrow. Strangely nervous that ill discover I’m not on track for marathon pace despite all my mileage :(</div>
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    100MC AGM Marathon today.

Didn't sleep brilliantly.  Turns out my Travelodge was the base for several teams of junior gymnasts, and I was on the floor where most of them were based.  They were up talking until very late!

Anyway, alarm went off, I got myself sorted and made the drive over to Race HQ.  Not having done a Pheonix event before it was all new to me, but I think probably most of the other runners have done several.  Davey was there in his 100MC Chairman role, handing out race numbers etc, and he ran too.

I had a quick look around and the majority of people were using road shoes, so that's what I went for too, and that was the right choice.  It was one of those mornings where it was a bit difficult to decide on clothes.  Car was saying 11deg at 8am, but there was a strong, cold wind.  Lots of people were really dressed up with long sleeved tops and jackets, but I just went for a T-Shirt and gloves, which again was the right decision for me.  Not too hot and not too cold, once we got underway.

This one is 8x out-and-backs.  I think today was probably busier than what he normally organises as it was chip timed, whereas these events are usually not as far as I know.  But my main worry about this was the mud and indeed, as Iain said, the first bit was pretty muddy.  Also, parts of "out" leg was into a strong wind, which of course when we came back the other way didn't seem to make hardly any difference to an improvement in pace.  Same old story ;)   But seriously, parts of it were a strong wind on the way out which sapped the energy.

Although the terrain isn't really to my liking I felt I was running well within myself early on, and in the early stages I was thinking I may carry on for an extra couple of laps.  Some of the bits that aren't muddy still had a camber, or cobbles, or uneven surfaces, or large puddles, r geese, or dogs, etc etc so there always seemed to be something to focus on which made it hard for me to "switch off" and get into a rhythm, but I was enjoying it.  I got to half way in 1:54 so a comfortable sub-4 was on if I could keep going at that kind of pace.

Maybe I'm easily annoyed but I was getting a bit peeved by some of the runners.  A lot of it is quite narrow and even narrower with the puddles etc, but some were walking 4 or 5 abreast and just seemed oblivious that there was a race going on and some people were at least trying for some kind of time.  But apart from that minor annoyance, it was okay.

When I started I had two plans.  One was to get a comfortable sub-4, even though it's not my ideal terrain, and the second plan was to carry on for a couple of extra laps at the end, even if it meant walking bits.  I got the sub-4 with a 3:50, so fairly evenly paced I think, but the last lap or two were a struggle into that wind.  I don't know if the wind was getting stronger or I was getting weaker - probably the latter to be honest - so at the start of my 8th lap I decided I was going to stop and not carry on today, so I just made it to marathon distance.  In hindsight, going into these events with a "I'll see how I feel" attitude for going a bit longer probably isn't the right approach - I think really I needed to make my mind up beforehand and just go with it.  Sitting here now, I know I could have carried on, albeit slower, but I just didn't fancy it.  Never mind.

I can't say I'm a massive fan of the course, but I'll keep it in mind for if I need some emergency numbers in the run up to 100.  It's picturesque with nice boats etc, and maybe it's better when it's drier, but I can't say it's a favourite.

The medal is nice.  It's smaller than what that picture makes it look like, but I like it.

Fortunately the drive back was uneventful and everything was on time....and I didn't stop for a KFC!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well done, that sounds like it was quite tough today mentally and with that strong wind every lap.
    I'm not surprised you stopped at marathon point, I agree the 'I'll see how I feel' means not going any further, I'd do exactly the same.
    Annoying about the runners blocking the course, I suppose they don't do any training and can't understand anyone wanting to try and get a good time, must have been frustrating.

I'm very impressed you skipped the KFC.   :)

Rcouture - Cal is also doing Hampton Court tomorrow, think she's done it before.

Just stick to your race plan and you'll get a good PB and the marathon training will have done it's stuff, enjoy it.

Keith - will maybe see you at Plym Trail then, a long trip for you and you'll have to go to the pub for your roast dinner now.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I did find the last couple quite hard.  In terms of numbers, there were 251 across the Marathon, Half and timed events today.  I've just randomly selected a different event of his and there were 110 in that one so today was a big event in comparison.

Steve Edwards was there as we said.  He completed his 900th and the average for those 900 is an incredible 3:19:20!  He struggled today though by the looks of it as he finished in 3:44.

My official time for the table is 3:50:32.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - so the course would have been more crowded than usual.

SE works so hard to complete his marathons within the target times that he's set for himself and I know there are times when he's carrying an injury and tired but he's not one to complain.
    I would imagine he'll ease up a little for a while to recover his energy levels before going for the 1,000.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention, but I got allocated race number 250 which resulted in quite a large number of runners assuming I was running my 250th marathon!  I corrected them all but quite assuming really - you probably wouldn't get people jumping to that conclusion at other/normal types of races!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good running in the circumstances.
    Read this article about Mo before
     https://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletics/2020/02/22/mo-farah-admits-lying-links-disgraced-coach-jama-aden/
    Says in there,there is a new panorama about Salazar out Monday,wonder if this is Mo trying to get ahead of it.
    Had a nice chilled day today,its a nice city and the weather is glorious,looking the same tomorrow afternoon.
  • Options
    Rcouture - it's a fast, flat course. I've PBd twice in four attempts (the other two times I was returning from injury so was not expecting a fast time). It will be fairly windy tomorrow with rain, which may affect things, but it's a good race.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Interesting article there Ian.  I wonder what news is coming.  As I'm writing this I think you'll be in the start area so very best of luck!

Cal/Rcouture, best of luck today too.

Been searching around for a Seville stream, but haven't been able to find one.  Edited, there are a couple on YouTube if anyone is interested.

• Options
    Big_G - well done on your race.  It can be a bit of a minefield along that part of the tow path with locals acting like it's their tow path. Very annoying.  How did you like the blue bridge?  

I ran the SVN moonlight challenge and managed 50k in 6:56:02. I did walk a lap with a friend which took us almost 2hr 30. I had a good race ans agm looking forward tiki the madness that is Viking 100.. will do a more detailed write up later today..
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Iain, the blue bridge was okay for 6 of 8 of the laps.  But I did more walking than running on that bridge on the last couple of laps :)  Fortunately it's short and sharp!   I can imagine in the summer it gets very busy with pedestrians what with the pub and boat club etc, but yesterday the locals weren't too bad - it was some of the other runners that were causing road blocks.  Well done on your event too, looking forward to the write up.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's funny about the 250 race number, of course the 250 issue is what led to a lot of falling out and bad feeling in the 100MC when folk wanted a shirt for a number that has never been recognised in the past.   Bit like the 100 Half Marathon Club being a part of the 100MC, another way of cheapening the club.   We never recognised 250 or even noticed when we reached that number ourselves.

Very sad that woman from the 100MC has gone missing, doesn't look good.  I don't know her.

I looked for a tracker for Seville yesterday and couldn't find one, I did find live streaming though from the race website but didn't mark it as I knew I wouldn't be able to watch it.

Ian - yes I heard there are more revelations to come in Monday's programme about Salazar, all I've seen about it so far is Warner (head of UKA) advising Farah to leave Salazar and Farah not taking the advice.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/51583857

Hope you're running well :)

Iain - well done, what was the course like?    Hope the foot is OK, any pain?

10 miles for me this morning, lovely and mild 13 degrees, was windy in places but good running weather.   Did another hilly route and in the valley at Compton I could see the damage last week's floods have done.  Was expecting to have to run through flood water but just a few big puddles so managed to finish with dry feet.

Gym later this morning.  

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Found live results/tracker for Seville on race website now :)
  • Options
    Shades - the course was mostly concrete road with about 10% along muddy fields so overall it was quite runnable.. thankfully the foot felt good,  no major issues and even this morning it felt ok..
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Well that was a lesson in how the marathon can hand you your arse occasionally.
    Felt ok yesterday but had a couple of headaches,then this morning my legs had no energy at all,even walking to the start was an effort,not a great sign.
    Decided to not go for the original sub 3 as I wasn't feeling right,by 10k I knew it was going to be a tough day so resigned myself to it.At half I could feel my stomach churning and I've never had that before,tried to carry on but at 16 knew if I didn't stop I'd have an accident,nipped in to a local cafe who let me use the toilet,hoped that would be the end of it but at 22 it happened again.I've never even had to stop for a wee before never mind twice for a number 2.I must have some type of bug or something as I'm normally really good with my stomach,by 24 I literally had no energy and walk/jogged the last bit.
    Really disappointing as i had a good winter and felt strong until yesterday,as I'm typing this I feel sick and weak so the flight home tonight mightn't be the most comfortable.Time for 3:22:29.
    Delighted to see JM with a 2:10:05,puts him 3rd at the minute in the Olympic rankings so hoping he makes it after the commonwealth debacle.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Bad luck Ian.  Sounds like you did well to finish and that time in those circumstances is still very good, but of course I know it's not what you were hoping for.  Try and get yourself well and feeling strong over the next few days, and all the training will still be there for the next one.  I hope the flight home is okay.

10 miles for me this morning.  I don't usually do that many miles the day after a marathon but legs were feeling good, plus it's a bit of practice for my back-to-backs in March.  Looking back through my notes I haven't done a double marathon since August 2019, but today's run went well and legs feel fine.  Only slight thing was that I was very thirsty in the last 2 miles or so, but that's probably because I didn't prepare as I would usually for a back-to-back plus I went out last night with friends, so I've no concerns about that.  When I got back I drank some water with electrolytes so hopefully I'll be fine.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-The thought of not finishing went through my head many times in the 2nd half when I was slowing so much,think only the fact I've finished all my races kept me going.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I can imagine!  Sometimes it seems there's not a lot of option except to hobble back to the finish :(  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - that's good news about the foot.   You'll know every inch of that course soon.

Ian - hope you're feeling better soon and the flight home isn't uncomfortable.

Sounds like you've picked up a bug.   You did an admirable performance in the circumstances.
    These things happen, we can't always be feeling great on race day.

Great news about JM, hope he gets a place in the marathon at Tokyo.

Big G - you're recovering better and more quickly each time.

• Options
    Ian, sorry about your marathon - I'd say that was definitely a bug or something you ate, given you felt tired before you even started.

Iain, that's a good sign.

Well done on your runs, Big G and Shades.

Hampton Court didn't go to plan. When I looked at the weather forecast this morning, the winds had been upgraded - 40s rather than 20s, which worried me.
    It didn't seem too bad initially and I did my usual over enthusiastic start (8:16) then over-corrected for mile 2 (8:40)  before hitting a couple of miles in the 8:20s (I was shooting for 8:30-35). But then I started to slow. Aside from another 8:29 at mile 6, I just kept getting slower. It wasn't helped by a windy stretch down the Thames to Hampton Court which made it harder than it should have been. I was still roughly on target at mile 10, but after we passed Hampton Court and turned back the other way, I figured we should get a tail wind. Wrong - it was even worse! I don't know how that's even possible since we were going in more or less the opposite direction, but it did me in. I only managed just under 9 minute miles for the last three, despite working hard, and came in at 1:53:53 which was not only nearly a minute slower than Kingston and Farnborough, but also a few seconds slower than my Hampton Court time from last year.
    I felt really tired after - still do - and my feet were hurting and left glute was aching. I remember feeling a lot more sore after doing the windy Big Half last year.
    Well, never mind. Can't win 'em all. It's still my fourth fastest half and if I was only 8 seconds slower than last year when conditions were perfect, it's not all bad.

This does leave me wondering whether I should try to find another half between now and Manchester where I can test myself without weather getting in the way. I'd be interested in your feedback on this.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - considering that evil wind you did a great run, in good conditions you'd have done a PB.
    Nothing you can do about the weather and it's just so unfair that you can do an 180 degree turn and still have to run into a headwind.

Yes, as long as you're not injured do find another half before Manchester so you can be assured that you're in great form.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Thats a great run in the conditions,sometimes I get deceived by a side wind thinking it's a headwind then when I turn it's a proper headwind.
    Original plan was to sit in the sun drinking beer this PM,but as is still felt crap I decided sun wasnt the best option and came for an exciting 5 hour wait in the airport instead.Slightly better mood now,originally I was thinking I'll do Barca and Boston and give these up but knew/hoped that would fade.It is just so hard sometimes when you sacrifice a lot and put up with training in all crappy weather just for that to happen.At the end of the day its only running and there's far more important things to worry about.
  • Options
    I felt a bit like that about Vienna, Ian, but there I go signing up for more foreign races! And you're right, but remember, progress isn't linear and not every race goes to plan. You bounced back after the cone incident and you'll bounce back from this.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Cal, that sounded like a tough run.  I think Hampton Court is near where I was running yesterday so if the wind was similar to that, I feel your pain.  But that's still a good time in tough conditions.  Yeah, I reckon if you can find another one and you're feeling okay, enter it.  There's still plenty of time before Manchester.  Do you have one in mind?

Ian, there were times last year when I was wondering if this was all worth it, and I had to remind myself I was doing this for fun.  I can imagine that for you with juggling work, getting the miles in, getting time off work, the expense of getting out there etc for it to all go wrong is a real kick in the teeth.  But you'll bounce back - no question.  Also, remember that only 2 or 3 years ago you'd have been totally over the moon with that time.  It's a really great time in the circumstances and when it all comes together on the day, I'm sure you'll do well.