Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good lord, Rob, that's a stressful situation. I hope you all manage to weather the storm.
    I'm off to volunteer today - our race is still going ahead. I hope my back doesn't sieze up while I'm standing around.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Have a good day Cal, hope the back is OK.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, busy few days indeed!  Sorry to hear about Elle’s brother :( I’m sure you’re aware but just in case not, his landlady can’t just kick him out on a whim.  Did she follow the process and give him notice do you know?  Regardless, sorry to hear about it. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, talking about events, and I’m kind of reluctant to mention this one for various reasons, but what about DD?!  I know Chair is obviously monitoring the situation and he’ll be under the number of entrants that are currently being spoken about, but what a pain.  Nothing to be done yet of course, but do we think that by June this will all be over? In terms of the peak, probably not. If there are future restrictions on smaller gatherings, I wonder how that’s counted - will the spectators/marshals/helpers plus the runners at the start/finish be counted in the figure?

I see that Phoenix had an event created after London Marathon cancelled (same day as London) on a certified course that sold out very quickly.  I do wonder if even these smaller events may be in jeopardy at some point, but who knows.  I’m not entering any more for now anyway. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - we had no DD the year of the foot and mouth disease.   I have already considered that just about everything on my race calendar will be cancelled, hopefully not going into autumn though, but we'll all have to wait and see.

It seems that with this virus things change very quickly and as other countries are ahead of us, China, Italy etc we can see how/when the lifting of restrictions is feasible.

I don't know if Phoenix events are with EA/TRA permits but I could see that UKA might have to issue a directive such as Athletics Ireland have and instruct all affiliated clubs to cancel events, that means they don't have insurance if they ignore that ruling.   When I had the email from Infinity she did point out correctly that race organisers have a 'duty of care' to entrants and I expect events such as Phoenix, Saxon and Enigma aren't bothered about that.

We had an ARC meeting this week and for now we are just asking race directors/clubs to follow the advice given by Public Health England which is updated as soon as rules/advice changes, and put a link on our home page

Massive criticism about Bath Half going ahead today.

How's the toe today?    Hope you've had a lovely big cooked breakfast.  :)
  • Options
    Carlisle half still on as i just looked.
    Aldo may have to go panic buy a new TV ;) My one is a decade or so old so is NOT smart tv capable i.e. it has no means of plugging in a firestick so i can have netflix and amazon prime on it thus i cant watch on tv whilst gaming on laptop.
    Was gonna wait until november as thats when my internet deal expires and upgrade sky box then to cover this
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Keith - if you're going to panic buy a TV, you'd better buy two ;)
  • Options
    Lol this current one works fine ;) I also dont have space for it in my bedroom currently as i have half a house full of mothers junk from when she moved up here. I should charge rental i gues cos if it was in a storage place the would be.
  • Options

To get around the paywall hit free then merely tick box. This explains what happens with nothing done, quarentine or social distancing
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, speaking of TRA/EA, I meant to say that I found out that the RED group have the paperwork all sorted with EA and TRA - the TRA permit just needs the date added apparently.  They've got the medals on order, but they're just waiting on Devon County Council for the permission.

Toe isn't great - I don't think it's infected but it most definitely needs rest so it was definitely the right decision to DNS today's event.

In the end I was up early and I saw that Google was telling me it'd take 3:20 if I left, so I left just gone 7am.  It's often over 4hrs so it was nice driving on decent empty roads.  It can take some time getting out of MK, so I avoided that.  I phoned OH on the way (hands free obviously) to get the eggs and bacon on, with fresh coffee, and she obliged :D 

Keith, good luck with the TV shopping.  Are you watching anything in particular on Netflix or Prime?  I'm looking for a decent box set that I can get stuck into as I won't be running for a few days at least.
  • Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭
    Rob, that’s tough news for Elles brother. I hope he gets the help required to get him to a better place.

My half this morning went really well, with about 4 miles to go I thought I felt great I think I can do better than 1:45 although being fairly inexperienced wasn’t sure if to go a bit, I chose to have a go, unofficial watch time 1:43:01 which is 6:30 better than my only previous official half, over the moon.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Keith - not sure I'd trust any info from USA, probably fake news and he has no idea, they can use all the models they like but they're just journalists wanting to get paid.
    Bit like that letter by 200+ scientists today criticising Coronavirus restrictions or lack of them, some of those so called scientists are students and some in astronomy and various other subjects that are totally unrelated.

Big G - wow, I wonder why they registered with EA, 3 times the affiliation fee and a multitude of unnecessary hoops to jump through and less comprehensive insurance cover.   Still its their choice.   

Good that the toe doesn't seem to be infected, I'm sure now it will heal quickly.

I discovered last night that I still haven't watched the full elite race of London Marathon last year, so I'll save that to watch in April when I was planning to watch Kipchoge.   I haven't watched the men's World Champs marathon either, started watching it twice and fell asleep.
    Going to be a definite lack of sport on telly for a while. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - xpost.   Congratulations, that's a huge PB well done. :)    Just shows how well your marathon training is going that you felt strong enough to push on in the latter stages. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I can't see Devon County Council giving permission for new events at the moment, can you?   Shame, they may have to postpone their first event for a few months.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cozy, very well done. To feel you could push on in the last couple of miles is brilliant!

Shades, I was thinking similar when Tim was talking to me about it, but I didn’t say anything at the time. 

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Superb result, Cozy, well done!

TR20 went ahead but numbers were quite low - given it's a prep race for the marathon season, I guess a lot of people thought it wasn't worth getting out of bed/risking virus for.
    I'm feeling a bit better today although SI joint is still not great. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Cozy - well done
    Shades - Its the Washington Post its probably more trustworthy than any UK paper.
    BG - Er Netflix probably has stuff for any one irrespective of what type of things they like. Probably easiest to look on the wikipedia page and se what they have done and go from there.

For races and number caps linked to govt advice well it all depends what is done where. AUstria now banned groups of more than 5. As Ian knows Spain is on full outdoor lockdown based on his Strava post. If we go with 100 indoors which probably applies as race HQ's are normally indoors Engima is nominally fine as they don't usually have over 100 however they are based in a pub so you need to account for other users.In practice it would easier and more sensible for a blanket ban including park run which otherwise runs into the massive issue of some close so people go to others and increase numbers.
    Technically if you are self isolating due to either Covid symtons for 14 days or more normal symptoms for a week you are not to leave the house for a walk let alone a run.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cozy - Great run and PB! Looks like your training was setting you up really well for the marathon. What are your training plans assuming it gets postponed?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cozy-Great run,good feeling being strong at the end.
    It is indeed on lockdown here,tried to run before,got stopped by the police and told only allowed out for food and emergencies,thought they may have been jobsworths as we read it is active tomorrow so went a different way,but stopped again so walked back,stopped again walking back and explained we were going back to hotel.Not great if this is what's on the way to us.
  • Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, I’m really chuffed with myself, I was gutted about marathon yesterday so really wanted to give it a good shot today.

At 9 mile marker I basically had a chat with a Marshall as I ran past and thought, wait a minute, I’m comfortable here so kicked on! Legs died a wee bit last Km (although negative split so not too bad) but I managed to cling on.

Rcouture - no idea on training, day off tomorrow then ask my lovely forum pals for some ideas! They’ve served me well so far.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - I would take no notice if the article was in a UK paper, it's not facts it's speculation, it's not reporting actual news.

I just read about Austria, 5 people seems quite severe, many families are bigger than that.

Ian - blimey, you're definitely the first on here that's ever been stopped by the police out running, I too read it was from tomorrow but then on the news this morning it said today.   Hope you get home OK.
    The Spanish police are not to be messed with. 
  • Options
    Big G, no notice just out on his ear, there was no contract though that wouldn't stand in a court of law, something had been agreed in principle however it's probably more hassle than it's worth to get a few £s back.  Spose Phoenix running see it as £40 in the bank each place and it it gets cancelled they can do any other event probably.

Keith stay safe out in the shops, can be a warzone out there!

Cozy great running today, always a good confidence boost when you finish strong and a PB.

Cal shame low numbers at the club run, I think it's sad people think that way.

Ian we were chatting about spain today! that is mental!!!

Centurion running made a well constructed posts, telling it how it is, how it affects everyone but have ensured all races will happen (subject to being allowed) on new dates https://www.centurionrunning.com/blog/2020/03/15/2020-events-postponement-announcement?fbclid=IwAR0fLhIC3E3T9ldYmJl9L0col2WY0vYyb9_ZrAoCRlF0Qq4Mq7WMysbuBU8 which means gives me more time for NDW50 on 4th July, may need to cancel athletics on that day in Stratford.

Went for my club run, 15.6 miles with a couple of mates, nice chat with a couple of mates.  Longest run again and had a bit of elevation 850ft in total.  It was a shame and similar with Cal's club race people didnt bother and dropped out.  Alot of organising went into these events, requires the same number of marshals whether the full attendance turned up or only half.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well it wasn't that low, Rob, just lower than usual. Still a couple of hundred.
    Apparently the Spanish police chasing people with drones! That better not happen here - I'll go nuts if I'm stuck indoors.
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Evening folks... hope you are all surviving with the pandemonium that is gripping the world..

With all the postponements happening around the country it’s become quite difficult to find events still running...I have found a replacement race for the London date. I’m running the “not the London marathon” marathon by Phoenix so I still get to run on the Sunday. Before that I have the “once apon a run”challenge event at Phoenix along the “lovely” towpath. It’s part of the 20 in 20 and hopefully I’ll be running some distance behind the amazing Adam Holland  That will be my first attempt at a sub 3  this year but if that doesn’t happen I’ve got the end of April..

today I ran the Dartford half. I needed to put some miles on my legs so I ran to the start of the race which was 5.5 miles. I got there 20 min before the start, collected my number and met some of my club mates. At 9:20 we made our way to the start and awaited the gun..I positioned myself in the sub 1:30 coral and decided I was going to race it. Was a very uneventful race and I settled into a good pace and just ran how I felt and ignored  my watch.. it’s a hilly course but part of the summer training routes with my club so I know the route plus I’ve done it a few times. I had my camelbak on so didn’t need to worry about drinks at the aid stations.. I was hoping to run sub 1:30 and was happy to cross the line in 1:27:45. It’s not a PB but it’s is a club HM record so I’ll take that.. I was going to run home but I was slightly stiff and opted to call my OH to come pick me up.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Iain.
  • Options
    Iain That’s a cracking time after the 5.5 miles before! Well done on the club record

ian hope you don’t have any issues getting back, have heard a lot of flights have been cancelled in and out of UK from Spain

running with one of Westmill parkrun’s RD it may appear parkrun will wait time hear what government will say about public meetings.  Parkrun has said no one is to cancel on the grounds of corona (obs of not enough Volunteers due to corona is different) they will make a blanket announcement in the next few days which the core team have assumed will be all cancelled

I am waiting for a week before entering a couple of trail marathons, fairly low key events so may be okay  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-2.5 hr delay getting home,which is the worst time,long enough to be really annoying but not long enough to claim.
    As it was there was a lot of flights cancelled including an easyjet to liverpool leaving 10 mins after ours so happy to get home at all.
  • Options
    Ian glad you got back okay! Bit too close for comfort with the easyJet flight! 

Other than a bit of DOMs legs seem okay after yesterday’s long run.  I was previously worried about PF in the foot as had a few aches but doesn’t seem affected 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - having more time to train for NDW50 is a bonus.

I don't think you can expect folk to turn up to club events, if they're not concerned for their own health many have elderly relatives not in good health so trying to minimize unnecessary contact.   That's a good long run for you, and very promising with the PF.

Best to maybe wait before entering any races until we know what the next stage may be on restrictions.

Cal - I suppose some of the DNS having had their spring marathons postponed or cancelled just didn't have the motivation to do a 20 mile race.   Only half of the runners turned up for Bath half, 6k instead of the usual 12k.   I'm not surprised, Bath is horrifically overcrowded and in a city centre so no chance of creating a little bit of distance.   Massive queues too.   

Iain - well done on your half yesterday.

Ian - glad you got home OK, not a bad delay in the circumstances.   Lucky you booked to return yesterday, I think Ryanair are pulling their Spanish flights from today.
    I guess you're probably not that keen on Spain right now ;) 

Big G - Tavy 13 is now cancelled/postponed, they haven't sorted a new date yet, but as usual they are superb organisers and we have the option of full refund, new date, or transfer entry to Tavy 7 in October.

My race schedule is like a car crash :'( 

RHR down to an acceptable level today, didn't feel that great but I haven't been outside for 2 days so suffering from cabin fever.   Very cold, frost and a bit of ice underfoot too but it felt good to be out in the fresh air.   Did a gentle 5 miles and felt a lot better by the time I'd finished.  Chest strain discomfort down to about 1/10 which is OK, still not good enough for gym or classes this week so will take another week off them.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, I don't know the law around informal agreements like that, but there are things in place that if the landlady took a deposit she would have needed to have put it in a deposit protection scheme of some sort, even if she did give it back.  Hoping he gets sorted soon.  Regarding races, seems I'm taking a different approach to you because I'm not sure I want to go to any more races now, even if they do go ahead.  I went for a walk yesterday afternoon and usually I'd go to a pub or cafe for a drink, but I don't even want to be doing that at the moment and am considering home deliveries for food.  Maybe I'm being OTT!  I don't think I am though as when I checked the supermarket for home delivery slots there weren’t any available for the next seven days, and it just seemed really quiet out for a Sunday afternoon.  If I could ask my OH not to go to work I would do, but she needs to work as normal.  My reasons mainly are a) my elderly Dad who is 81 and has some health issues and b) I get a bad chest/asthma-like symptoms fairly often as it is.  Hopefully I got away with my MK marathons - I was being as careful as I could be anyway.

Ian, very glad you got home okay!  What a nightmare.

I know there are bigger things going on, but I've been pondering about the club champs that I organise.  The next two races (Taunton and Tavy 13) have both been cancelled/postponed.  

Our competition has 20 races and 3 have already been completed.  It's virtually impossible to figure out any replacement races without knowing for sure what will be cancelled but worst case scenario, if we assume all races are cancelled between now and end of June (which doesn't seem a totally outlandish thought), that will be 7 cancellations.  Between July and end of November (we were trying to avoid December as things need to be organised for the awards night) there are 23 weeks.  There are 10 events already planned between July and end of November, so it would mean trying to find 7 replacement races that a) are suitable for that race category b) avoid days where there are already CC races and c) avoiding our own 4 or 5 race days (depending on if June’s DD gets postponed).  With that in mind there would either be a CC race or one of our own races virtually every weekend.  Obviously worst case scenario is that we cancel the competition this year.  Main thing is that there's no meaningful Plan B that anyone can come up with at the moment.

People are asking about it but there's nothing I can say really.  People are also asking about training days and DD, and I know Chair is having a meeting with our club's HQ tomorrow to discuss if it's likely to close.  As I say I know there are bigger things going on, but it's impacting everything really.