Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Rcouture - had to make a passing comment myself today, I was nearly in a bush as someone decided to walk hand and had with their gf (i assume) down the middle of the path.

Ian - seem to be getting some miles and normality now

MF fingers crossed for La Rochelle

Shades - I've not been in down for a couple of weeks, I wonder how many shops won't open back up after lockdown too.  I've got next Wednesday reserved for a big shop Tesco opens at 6am so will try and get in for opening.  Nice bit of climbing on your run today.

Big G - I prefer not to go past home on a long run, takes alot of will power to go past again.

Cal - hope you have no repercussions from your fall, I'm too dreading lockdown getting tighter, we still have 4 of us at home, living and sleeping in the same room is tough at times.  Fingers crossed it doesn't get any tighter.

Seen France have banned all exercise 10am to 7pm.... wouldn't affect us too much, we'd just have to make sure runs happened outside those times.

Felt a bit rubbish for a couple of days, very tired and not been running, fell 10 times better after a slugglish 3.8 miles this evening, hopefully will get back into the swing of things again.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - It was pretty busy. Lots of runners, walkers and folk milling about. It hasn’t been like that recently and I go running through the common at least every other day so I was surprised. It might just be the time of day at 5:30pm whereas I usually go out in the morning or lunchtime. Maybe people didn’t want to go out for their ‘exercise’ when it was hotter during the middle of the day. I ran around Richmond park on Saturday morning as I usually do for my long run and that was super quiet so might be a better bet, especially as there are wider paths. Get to see the deer too which is always nice. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Rcouture- that's really good news that your niggles including that PF are improving.
    Looks like the sunbathers are out again, fooling themselves that they're exercising.   Unfortunately unless they get that under control we'll all suffer from tighter restrictions.

Ian - do you still have staff off ill/self isolating?   
    Good opportunity to increase mileage as long as you don't have to work longer hours. 

Cal - I'd guess you'd be OK early in the day running, the amblers/sunbathers probably don't get out of bed until lunchtime.

Robert - I think it will be a lot of pubs/restaurants/hotels even cafes that won't reopen either.   And in the retail sector those that are complacent working for big companies with strong balance sheets are going to be in for a shock too.   The recession/depression will be global and a lot of the big names will take the opportunity to cut their costs.  Just hope folk that are furloughed are being sensible, budgeting and paying off all their debts in preparation for tougher times.

Re France and their exercise restrictions - I read that as Paris, not the whole of France, I suppose may apply to other cities.   Perhaps mamafox, our French correspondent could clarify that for us. :) 

5 miles today, one of my flat routes although still comes out with 217 ft of elevation.   Would normally be my rest day but didn't feel any need for a rest day, haven't been increasing mileage or intensity so no need for a rest day.

Food shop later, would prefer to go early but last week no milk at Aldi so ended up having to go to another shop too, want to avoid that so will go later in the day and hope they have stocked up.  Otherwise I'll have to go to Tesco too.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Where abouts are you based, Rcouture? You can't be too far from me. Richmond Park is a little bit far for me - it'd be a good option if I was doing a 20+ mile ultra training run, or if I was allowed to get on a train, but neither applies at the moment, sadly.

Rob, those restrictions wouldn't affect me at all (except it may mean even more people running when I do).
    Hope you feel a bit perkier today! I went out early and it feels like it'll be a very warm one today.

Shades, I'd definitely class that route as undulating!

I'm not following a plan at the moment but running mostly by how I feel. I banged out another 10 today - varied the route slightly so I didn't finish back via the common and didn't have any problems with other people. Didn't fall over either, so that was a plus! It was rather enjoyable - running early morning, all the flowers and plants in people's gardens smell rather fragrant.
    Oddly, I was within 5 seconds of the time I ran yesterday - I guess I'm pretty consistent.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes I have 7 off for various reasons at the minute.
    Rob-The french restrictions would be horrible for me,I generally work 6-4 so I'm not running before work,and after 7 would too late for tea then bed etc.
    Cal-I'm nearly always within a minute on most of my runs,generally can predict my finishing time pretty good.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - on paper my route looks undulating but it's not.   There's a short sharp bit of a climb 100 metres from my flat but the rest is very gentle inclines and declines, perfect for fast running as each incline is followed by a decline so a very speedy course.  Apart from the bit near my flat you wouldn't look at any part of it and say that's an uphill or downhill.

Ian - that's a fair number of staff off, but I suppose manageable for now.

Those French restrictions are for Paris, not the whole of France.   If we had similar restrictions I'm sure it would be aimed at urban areas where folk are using the large parks, such as London.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Shades - Yes, as you said, those restrictions are just for Paris. Even if they did bring them in down here it wouldn't affect me much. If I'm not out before 9am then there's a strong possibility that I'm going to be spending the rest of the day in my kit!
    Good luck with your food shopping.

Cal - Sounds like your run went well this morning. Have you noticed a difference with pollution levels in London or is it too early to say?

Rcouture - Thank goodness for the PF getting better. Was on the prayer mat for you there.

Out early after a broken night's sleep. Daughter had had the bright idea of watching The Odyssey of Pi with the 8yo resulting in him having a succession of nightmares about tigers, hyenas, boats etc.  Honestly  :#
    Good point about the impending hay fever season Shades, that will slow me down a bit. Have decided to go for a return to base training after all. Lovely morning and in spite of having to walk for stretches to keep HR down my run went well and I felt pretty good. Still a dull pain in the back of my thigh though but not bad enough to stop me running. On a naturewatch note have gone from one end of the scale to the other. Went past a herd of cattle and saw that the bull was grazing really close to the fence. I've only really seen him from a distance and close up he is very impressive. I decided to see if I could touch him and stuck my hand through the fence and made encouraging noises (I had however given the fence a quick once over before to see if it seemed solid enough). Anyway, he took a step closer to me and after a bit of blowing let me scratch his head. It only lasted about a minute or so before he gave my hand a bit of a shove and I decided it was time to go.
     Back home and, as usual, poached egg(s) on toast(s). I had been sad enough to hide the last two eggs before I'd gone out in case anyone else got up early and ate them!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    mamafox - yes - there are still quite a few cars but I'm not huffing fumes when I run to quite the same extent. I guess that's one of the silver linings, eh?
    Nice bull wrangling!

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - I am in Southfields so my usual sub 9 mile route is through Wimbledon Park then around Wimbledon common. Anything longer than that and I can then carry on and around Richmond Park. 90pct of my running is through parks now that I’m working from home so would be a real shock to the system if they closed them. Where are you?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Full of procrastination today.  Not sure why really as I don't feel overly tired or anything.  

Ended up not going out until 12:30pm and didn't have a route/distance in mind; just decided to do what I fancied and then head back, even if it was only 3 or 4 miles.  But ended up getting into after a couple of so did 10 at an easy pace.  Glad I went in the end but not sure why I didn't really fancy it at the start!  Hopefully just one of those things. It was quite warm so a bit thirsty at the end, but it was ok. 

There’s a very slight niggle in top of left calf so I’ll keep an eye on that. I had it a couple of weeks ago although some stretching seemed to get rid of it, but it was back again towards the end of the run. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - Balham. Tooting Common is just up the road but Wandsworth and Clapham commons are a mile away and Streatham is two. It's quite a bit further to Wimbledon so I generally go there if I'm doing a 20 miler, though I've also done a few races there as well.

Big G, I expect the lockdown means, like the rest of us, you're spending more time sat on your backside - that'll make you tighter.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - what’s Tooting common like to run in? Have been to the market in Tooting quite a bit in the evening but never to the common so no idea how big it is. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good miles considering you couldn't be bothered.
    Not so great run after work,legs seemed tired and felt a little dizzy for a bit,managed 8 in the end so will have a rest day either tomorrow or friday.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - it's fairly big but nowhere near the size of Wimbledon, and it's basically in sections (the actual name is Tooting Commons) due to the roads and railway lines that go through it. I think it's a lot nicer than Clapham Common, though - I never seem to lose the feeling I'm stuck in the middle of the South Circular when I run there.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, yeah, I'm sure it is the more sitting around that is causing it.  I've had it in the past.  It's actually not bad this morning - I know this as it's okay walking up the stairs.  When I have the problem, there is kind of click/tightness at the back of the knee when I walk up.  Nevertheless, I'll take a rest day from running and go for a walk a bit later.  It was back in Jan 2018 (the snooker injury!) when I first had it quite bad, and I saw a physio at that point, so I still have their exercises.  It may also be related to shoes - I have two pairs that are towards the end of their lives, so on my next run I'll probably wear a new pair.

It looks like another lovely day here.  I can see the sea from my house and it looks like a millpond.

I did see a caravan overturned on the M5 coming down to Devon/Cornwall yesterday.  Why they were travelling I'm not quite sure!  I really hope that everyone stays at home this weekend, and I'm sure the police will be on the case and turning people around.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Out early today - ten to six - so decided to head to Streatham Common for some hill repeats. I stuck to the main part of the common for this so it was a simple circuit - pushed the pace on the uphill (yellow arrow - a hill that increases in steepness then evens out again and is quarter of a mile long), recover at the top (purple arrow), go a bit faster downhill to practise that (lime arrow) though not flat out as it's grass that was muddy and is now rather lumpy, then recover at again at the bottom (purple arrow).
    I did two miles warm-up pace on the way there, then hit the first hill towards the end of my third mile. Did four circuits then back home for a total of 8 miles. Happy to average 9:56 on the last two laps, considering I've been over 11s on occassion.
    Nice morning and not to many people to worry about at that time!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - seems like you're settling well into the base training and enjoying it.   That's lovely you stopping to give the bull a scratch, I would do the same, I really like cows.   I saw a bull this morning on my run, he was lying down close to the gate but he had his back to me so I thought was probably not a good idea to try and befriend him from that angle, next time maybe.

Post run breakfast is very important, your children can always eat cereal ;) Do you keep chickens?

Big G - the procrastination happens to us all, but if I wasn't out the door early I'd never go out at all.
    Hope that niggle is just a passing twinge, are you using a variety of shoes?  Different brands and models?  If you're doing high mileage 2 pairs is not enough, shoes last better if you can give them a few days in between runs to allow the cushioning to recover.  

Idiots in that caravan, if they're going to break the rules on essential travel at least have the sense to drive carefully.   I expect this weekend there will be those breaking the lockdown to come down here.   I saw that the councils (Devon and Cornwall) are having a few problems with accommodation still being offered down here for 'self isolation' purposes, mostly Air Bnb deliberately flouting the rules.  

Ian - dizziness, that's not good, have you had that before? 

Cal - the mornings are getting lighter so quickly now and it's the best part of the day, sounds like you enjoyed your hill session today.

Hills again for me today, didn't feel I wanted to do a hilly run when I went out but I'm sticking to my every other day and I'm so glad I did as I had a lovely run.  One of my favourite routes with a bit added on, 7 miles, 561 feet of climb.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Ian - Hope that dizziness is nothing to worry about.

Big G - Good news on the calf niggle.
    Sounds like a perfect day to crack on with that garden project  :p

Cal - Great focused run from you. Are you still doing virtual runs with your club?

Shades - Yes we have chickens. We've gone from six to three since last winter, think they died of old age. Didn't want to buy any more over winter as they don't lay much in the winter months and was planning to get some in the Spring, ie now when we are on lockdown and no chance of sourcing a chicken  :/

I've got a feeling my injury may have been down to shoe overuse. I was running in the same two pairs for ages  :|

Lovely run this morning. Should maybe have taken my phone to take a couple of photos, the forest looked beautiful. Enjoyed running/walking quietly along to my HR target. This is obviously going to take some time but I've got the time to be out for longer now without work to think about. 
    Naturewatch: One hare which shot out like a bullet from some bracken and a worm which I helped cross the road as he was struggling a bit.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Funny you should say that about eggs, MF. Just this morning I was reading this - OH has expressed an interest in getting some too. 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I do run in different brands and models, but two pairs are towards the end of their life at the same time. Not sure if it’s related or not - I think the main issue is that I often subconsciously cross my legs on the settee, which I think is the main root of the problem. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    MF - Probably a good time to HR train with your race in November, can get a good amount of base miles in then start some marathon specific training 3/4 months out.
    Shades - Nice hilly runs there.

8m Tues, 5m Weds then 9m with 5*600m today to keep the legs ticking over 600s were done in 2:10/2:12/2:14/2:11/2:08. So a decent session without beasting my legs.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - well I hope your remaining chickens can lay enough eggs for your post run breakfasts.  

Definitely a great opportunity for all to do that base training.   Makes me wonder what the 'I never go training' 100 MC lot are doing, I don't expect many are going training.

Big G - I suppose going to collect hens would be considered essential travel as technically a food purchase.   Are you not so keen on having chickens then?

Re the shoes, I've only ever seen you mention Asics, nothing else.    There's no need to be coy about your shoe purchases to us, we won't mention it to your OH ;) 

Steve - round here we are lucky and have a myriad of small country lanes and I still don't know where they all lead to.    My route today was out and back, I stopped at 3 miles today as I had a choice of 3 directions to go to add on half a mile but 2 of the roads I didn't know where they led to so had a dither before choosing one and that was hilly, I think the others would have been too.    Not many signposts either.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Hi All. Newbie question but what do you mean by base training? As in just general mileage with no specific stuff like speedwork?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - if you have time, long detailed explanation here

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/what-is-base-training/

I train with a heart rate monitor and follow (sort of) Hadd's training method.  Hadd is based on a very long period of base training which is nothing faster than 70% maximum heart rate.   After a few months you can run faster at the same heart rate so builds up endurance and aerobic capacity.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I have different ASICS models for training (GT2000 and Nimbus), but also a pair of Sketchers I wear regularly (probably not many runners can say that, but they fit really well and are comfy!). I suppose my ‘go to’ training shoes are ASICS GT2000 but even those I have different sizes as I find 2 different sizes are fine for me - if I know for sure I’m likely to be out for a long time (IE on a coastal route) I wear the bigger size. Also different versions of the same model do differ a bit - I have ver 4 and ver 6 of the GT-2000 and they feel quite different. Also, if I’m going out for a 6/7 mile run I sometimes wear an older pair of my ASICS Roadhawks that probably haven’t got another marathon in them. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Mama-I've had it before,certain times it feels like a lack of food or sugar but shouldn't have been really as I'd had enough.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, regarding your 100MC comment a loud minority were requesting ‘Virtual Runs’ to count. Thankfully that seems to have died right down.  A couple of what I might term the more ‘serious runners’ are trying to use the time wisely but I think you’re right that most aren’t really doing much. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I somehow missed your post.  Good session there.  At my club we do a hilly loop where the idea is to run up the hill and keep pushing across the flat bit at the top, and then use another flat bit and downhill for recovery.  I really enjoy those sessions although for me I really need to go slow on the recovery otherwise I fade quite drastically.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I wanted a pair of Sketchers and tried twice to buy some but one shop didn't know anything about them and the other told me that recommended mileage was only 300 miles.   I'm sure that's not true about all Sketcher models just useless staff, but I didn't want to pay £75 for a pair of shoes with no info.   I've heard they are really comfy, they seem to aim at that market now.

That's not a great diversity in your shoe wardrobe, 2 brands and 4 models.   I know what you meant about different versions of the same shoe feeling different, and they do.  I have Guide 9/10/ISO but you have to bear in mind although they feel different they're all built on the same last.

Surely the 100MC would never allow virtual races, then there wouldn't be any more races again.

Maybe you can lie on the sofa rather than sit....subject to other occupants of course ;) 

Ian - maybe a touch of dehydration as the weather has turned a bit warmer now. Anyway hope you're OK.

8 miles for me today, flat so a bit dull except I did see a beautiful green woodpecker.   Very quiet out this morning what with lockdown and being Good Friday.   I had to shout at a couple who were cycling on the pavement, no traffic on the road and they refused to get off, absolutely no reason to use the pavement there and they could see me coming for a good 200 metres or so.  He moved a bit to the verge but his fat wife didn't move at all so we ended up too close, quite a few choice words from me.   Everyone else I saw out really friendly and cheerful.

Promising news about Boris :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G - that's something to try another time.
    Shades - seem a few people cycling on the pavement - it's quieter on the roads so I'm mystified as to why they would. Idiots.

While it is a lovely day again I decided I wouldn't run today as I'd already done three days on the trot and I would rather be fresher for my weekend runs, so I went for a walk instead (3.68 miles, in the end). I went out a bit after 9 so there were more people about, but I'm less worried about that when I'm not running as it's easier to avoid them. Saw a little wren and also a couple walking their cat!