Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Probably not helping much Cal, but they were very nice.

Shades, who were you flying with for the Frankfurt trip?  I was flying with Lufthansa from Bristol, but the flights have been cancelled :(   If I'm reading it correctly they've got a date of 31st August to transfer the flights, which is a little odd as that's nearly 2 months before I was due to fly, or they're offering a €50 discount if transferring onto something else for later this year.  I don't think I have ever flown with them before so I'd ideally like to transfer it directly over to Frankfurt next year but not knowing the dates this far ahead makes it difficult, and we can only rebook to something up until April 2021 in any case.  Not sure what to do about it at the moment so will have a think.  I may also contact the marathon organisers (although I expect they're getting a lot of queries) to see if they have transfer options, although I expect they don't.

Really didn't sleep very well last night, so I'm just seeing if I wake up a bit before deciding if I go for a run last night.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Bad news on the flight,are they offering a voucher so you can keep it for next year? Also there are still flights scheduled from Heathrow if they will transfer you across if you still want to go.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I couldn't find a pic with more suitable attire. :)

Big G - Lufthansa.    I've got the same email so my flights cancelled too.   I have flown once with Lufthansa before and was very impressed with their efficiency.   I haven't had a look yet if there are any feasible options for transferring the flight, perhaps a marathon before the end of April 2021.   But I think I'll ask for a refund.

I had 2 breakfasts this morning, I was hungry before my run so had some fruit and yogurt before my run.  Did my favourite hilly route again, 8 miles.   We've had rain since I ran this last Sunday and the grass and crops have all grown a couple of inches and the cow parsley has grown about 2 feet.   Nice running weather, the lightest of rain, no wind.   
    Cooked breakfast when I got home :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I've understood it that if we want the additional €50 voucher then we must rebook for a 2020 date.   Or we can transfer for another flight up to end April 2021 without the €50 voucher/discount.   We can change destination if we want so I assume we could change departure airport too.

Although it doesn't say anything in the email I'm sure legally we are entitled to a refund as the airline have cancelled the flight.

I was flying from Bristol, not sure I want the hassle of travelling to Heathrow.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Ah ok,most airlines are offering a voucher for a year or 2 as an alternative.
    Yes legally you are entitled to a refund,the reality is very different.
    Virgin have said they are processing a refund but haven't got it yet,Air France and TAP,both I said I didn't want a voucher,but a refund,but they both just sent me a voucher anyway,at least with Air France's it is refundable after a year.
    Both are claiming they can get out of refunding by citing force majeur,or however you spell it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I would take a voucher if it covered say up to the end of 2021 and then I could book for Frankfurt next year, but the email only offers a voucher to the end of this year.   I'm not confident the race will go ahead this year. 

I might contact their customer services and if they'd give me a voucher to the end of 2021 I would forego the refund, it's possible they might do that as I know all the airlines are short of cash.

I might not rush to make a decision and wait and see what Germany's plans are for events later in the year.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Good idea to hold off until as late as possible.If a company goes bust and you have accepted the voucher then basically you have no recourse to getting anything back as it is treated like a gift card.
    The credit card companies aren't much better,1 has accepted what TAP has said,the other wants an email off the company saying they are refusing a refund,but they won't send an email.
    Hence I'm looking for a winter Portugal marathon I'd any go ahead.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'd decided to do the run that counted for the Phoenix virtual Covid-19 Remembrance Run today so I wanted to do something a bit special. Rather than do a silly distance or a fast pace I opted to make the most of the quieter streets and lower pollution to run along the Thames (via Battersea Park) to Tower Bridge and then back along the other side - a route that would normally be quite polluted on the north bank and full of tourists on the south. It was actually pretty nice - I ran through Battersea Park then over the bridge, along the embankment, past the Tate Britain, Houses of Parliament and then through the City to the Tower of London, over Tower Bridge and then back past the HMS Belfast, Golden Hind, Globe Theatre, Tate Modern, National Theatre, London Eye and MI5 before turning for home via Stockwell and Clapham Common.
    I figured this would be 13-14 miles but when I hit 10 miles around Tower Bridge I realised that wasn't going to happen. I hadn't taken any water with me (let alone gels) so I started to feel it as I headed back along the South Bank. My pace had crept up from easy to steady (between 9:40 and 10) and didn't suffer but I was pretty keen for the run to be over by the time I hit Stockwell.
    I had opted to wear the Turbos which turned out to be a bit of a mistake, or rather an experiment with a negative outcome. They're a great tempo shoe but I think I've established they are not a long run shoe for me as they started rubbing my accessory navicular later into the run. I guess Nike didn't really account for mutants with extra bones in their feet. Some pain in the left foot too, seemingly where the peroneals insert (I have had aches in this area before but it was really quite sore when I got my shoes off, even though I'd only felt an ache there for the first couple of miles. I started worrying I might have a stress fracture but after digging around, the bone is fine and it's definitely soft tissue. I will need a much easier week next week. I have done 56 miles this week without planning to, so I need to calm down a bit.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, you're echoing my thoughts.  It's the April 2021 voucher deadline that isn't ideal.  I would take a voucher if I could transfer it to next year but will probably at least ask for a refund and see how I get on.  There is an online form so I may send it off and see what they say, as there's a message that says not to phone unless the flight is within 3 days.

Ian, I think I'd prefer just to cancel it if I can, rather than plan to go from Heathrow as I'm also not sure if it'll be on anyway.

Cal, I'd love to do a run like that.  I have seen some pics from Sophie Raworth (news presenter) on her run-commute to work and I'd love running through London with it like it is.  Not going to happen for me obviously as can't travel there.  Good news it doesn't appear to a stress fracture!  Well done on your weekly mileage - that is very decent.

Opted for an unplanned rest day in the end.  Just feeling groggy from lack of sleep so didn't see any point in pushing it.  I did go for a walk with OH on her way to work and then tagged on a couple of miles for a total of 5.  I had my HR monitor on just for a matter or interest.  It was a fairly brisk walk with a couple of hills.  Average was 88bpm, and peaked at 120 on one hill, overall pace was average of just over 15min/miles.  Not sure what, if anything, I can do with this information in terms of running but I was just curious.  If I get out on one of my long coastal routes one day in the future when this is all over I'll stick it on then as well, as that would be more interesting to me I think.  They're very much run/walk anyway, and very hilly in places, so I'd quite like to see that, but it wouldn't fit in with HR base training I don't think!  I do really enjoy those runs though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you've certainly ramped up the mileage this week.   Well at least you know those shoes are for your shorter stuff.  Hope those aches ease quickly.

Ian - Yes, if they go bust I should be able to reclaim on my credit card, was just over £100 from memory.   But if I rebook from Heathrow and the race is cancelled but the flight isn't then I'll lose the cost of the flight.   If/when flights restart again Heathrow flights are less likely to be cancelled than those from regional airports.

That's so annoying receiving vouchers when you've asked for refunds but you just have to battle on, not so bad the Air France one that can be redeemed in a year.

One of the Lisbon marathons used to be in December?     Madeira marathon is in January 2021.   That will be covered by TAP.

Now are there any marathons in Germany next year to end of April?.....I know you spend a lot of time researching possible races ;)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Germany has tons of races,must be one of the highest density of marathons.
    I use ahotu to find smaller ones,think you may have recommended it in the past.
    Lisbon is October 11th this year,bit close to chester,but Porto on November 8th is a possible if allowed.
    Cal-Nice run and mileage for the week.
    Big G-I had a similar day yesterday and took an unplanned rest day.
  • Options
    Sad times people i have finished my giant toblerone finally :(
    In actual news i did 3 runs for 14 miles this week and 9 or so on the bike yesterday. Also spending more time at work than not at work as there are things i can do in various hidey holes if i need to but last week was fine as i could use my actual office. THere is another one currently unused i have set up on too however.
    They are supposed to be taping areas but hadn't done it when i finished on thursday so i'll see tomorrow if its done yet. Personally they'd be better off working out where and how many people in the two conference rooms and tea bar would be more useful. We can cope well enough in the lab areas already. The two conference rooms are overflow tea bar btw as its extremly unlikly we'd be having any meetings currently.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Big G - sorry I missed your post.  I had a quick look at the website, is the form the Feedback as they call it?  

I haven't done anything yet, I'm going to wait a few days to decide.

I feel sorry for Sophie Raworth, she was due to represent UK in V50 half marathon championship this year and was thrilled to qualify.

You've done a fair few miles this week so nothing wrong with a rest day.  I think you're getting fond of the HRM 😉

Ian - no, not me re ohutu website.  I had a quick look for April but don't think any of the German ones are suitable, that is flights from down here.  I don't want to travel onto another town/area, from a main airport in Germany.   I didn't check Hannover yet though.

Madeira is January, weather is fab there in the winter, very temperate climate.

Keith - well you had to do something in the lockdown so eating the Toblerone doesn't seem a bad idea.

You are getting down to some regular training now 😁

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, sad times regarding the Toblerone.  Did you savour the last pieces?

Shades, yes, that was my thought too.  I could have gone out and done 7-10 mile but probably not enjoyed it, so decided not to.  Hopefully the knee will behave and I'll get another decent week in next week, probably helped by taking a rest day today.

Yes, there was a feedback form on their site, with an option to query refunds.  I filled it in though and got an automated response saying they're not dealing with any refund queries via the form, so a call will be needed at some point.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Shades-Madeira is a possible,depending on what Gran Canaria do as we are off then.
    16 today,went a different route to usual,was all good except I went the wrong way once and cut short a bit so had to make a couple of detours near home to make it to the 16.Gives me 55 for the week,was hoping for 60 at the start of the week but ended up only running 5 days.
    Another positive is that my weight has creeped down,now around 12:10 when I had stabilised between 13 and 13:4,the lowest I had been since my early 20's I'd guess.I'm guessing the extra mileage has added a stimulus to my body.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - great run. I’ve been wanting to do a long run through central London for the 28 days later vibes but haven’t got around to it.
    10 miles for me at 139bpm with the new chest monitor. Bit fiddly to put on but forgot I had it within minutes of the run. Pace was a bit faster than the other two HR runs which were at or above the same bpm and only 7 miles. No idea if it’s the monitor or better conditions (running at midday today vs evening for the others) but felt comfortable and only had to walk a couple of the steeper hills. The exception was the last k or so which was a struggle to keep HR down despite flat terrain so decided to cut the run short and walk it. Assume it’s just the cardiac drift. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Does it tell your HR as you go along, Rcouture? My watch doesn't although I expect I could customise the screen to do so (but I don't go by HR so I haven't).  Anyway, sounds like progress, well done.

Keith, I guess you'll have to replace it with something else eh? I've always been fond of Toblerone ever since my mum bought me one to cheer me up after I fell over and grazed my knee. I guess I associate it with comfort.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Yeah Cal I’ve set it so that I’ve one field for current HR and another for average HR for the run. I initially tried it with alerts that rang a bell when I went outside a set range but it drove me nuts. I just glance at it occasionally. I’m starting to get a decent feel for it now without looking actually. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - that's great that you're already getting a feel for your HR without having to use the annoying alarm.

I don't know if you saw this thread

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/349346/heart-rate-zones-argh#latest

Ian - I didn't realise Gran Canaria might be back on, when they pulled it this year I thought it was gone forever.

You're so disciplined, I'd be tempted just to go home and not do the extra mileage.
    That's good news on the weight, I find when I get into higher mileage my metabolism speeds up too.   You'll keep it off too as you've dropped weight so gradually.

Big G - So we'll have to phone.  I've heard the airlines will do every subtle trick to try and not give you a refund.

7 miles today, legs felt a bit heavy and tired. Lovely morning again.   I couldn't understand why there was so much traffic this morning, about an hour into my run I realised that it's not a bank holiday today as that's been moved to Friday.   :/
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I read an article a bit ago that the council had joined with another company to put it on in late January again but haven't seen any details since.It was tempting to head home esp as my detour was uphill but after taking Saturday off I really wanted the 16.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well that's promising about GC as they'll want to tempt the tourists back and runners will be race hungry.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Just checked the date for Madeira and it's the same day as GC should be,fine for me as we have booked that time off,but I know there was a few people who did Madeira,then flew to GC the next week and did there.
    Easy 6.5 today,shortest run for a long time,last time I did this route was November,quite a but quicker today though which bodes well again.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    10 miles for me this morning, on my route that is part trail and part road.  It's a lovely route but I struggled a bit today to keep the HR down.  I did manage it (all miles were on or under the required 142bpm) but at the end I was 5mins slower overall that I did it last week at the same HR.  Not sure why though as felt very rested at the start and was quite looking forward to the run.  Just one of those things hopefully, and fingers crossed I'll be back to normal tomorrow.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Cal - That run sounded wonderful, just the sort of thing I imagine you doing in London. So much to look at, I'm extremely jealous. As you mentioned though, I can understand you can't do it all the time because of the traffic. 

Absolutely rubbish running from me over the weekend and this morning. Just seem to be getting slower over my routes and I can't blame it all on the pollen. Will keep going but it just feels I'm on some kind of nightmare 5k to couch plan  :(
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well I do hope you can do one of those as you've already booked the time off work.  
    Portugal seems to have had less stringent lockdown rules and I think they've relaxed their rules now so they might be ahead on welcoming back tourists.

Big G - sorry you were a bit disappointed with your run today.   Sometimes there's just no obvious reason that a run is better or worse HR wise.

Mamafox - sorry you're not having a good spell of running either.  Lol at 5k to couch  ;)

Cancelled my airport parking for Frankfurt today, so annoying as I got it at a really good price.  Never mind I have chosen a pair of running shoes to buy instead to use up the credit.   :D
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Things are getting bad. There’s a live Zwift race with some elite riders on Eurosport. And yes, I am watching it.... :smile:
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - don't worry, we'll have the Tour Dr France to watch in the summer.  Apparently France are allowing the Tour to go ahead.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    8 miles this morning in heavy rain, very windy too in places.  But I had a better run today than yesterday which was perfect conditions, funny thing this HR training :o    
    I ran down to the quay and the water which is tidal was really high and I was sad to see the swan's nest had been flooded.  The swan was still on the nest but I couldn't see if the eggs have hatched.   On the way back the path had flooded so I had to run through a fair stretch of cold water.   When I got back to the quay I had expected the water to be higher but it had dropped a little, swan still on nest and her mate in the water nearby.   I stopped to have a good look but couldn't see through the reeds if she had cygnets or not.   There was a pair of mallards on the slipway with one tiny duckling that they were protecting proudly, so sweet.

Despite the weather saw a few other runners out this morning including one idiot who nearly got run over.  He came out of a field onto the same road I was running on but he decided to run on the wrong side of the road with his back to the traffic.  He was running a little faster than me and we came to a hump back bridge which is a blind dip for traffic, on the other side there were some big puddles on his side, so without looking behind him he ran around the puddle into the middle of the road and nearly got hit by a van, the driver reacted really quickly.   Don't know if the runner had headphones on, he had a hood on, absolute bloody idiot, all dark clothing too despite the weather.   Then a few yards further on he just stopped running and started walking.  Never acknowledged me at all, bloody beginners :#  What is the matter with these people.  :#   Rant over :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for the driver, Shades - something like that would give you a fright.
    Too bad for the swan. :(

Rest yesterday, although I did walk 5 miles and do a bit of yoga. Went to bed with a headache (postural/tension) thinking it would be gone by morning and it got worse during the night. I still feel sore and groggy now. I went out for a recovery run around Wandsworth Common for a change which would have been a lot more enjoyable without the headache. Some Egyptian geese were flying around and making a right racket (territorial dispute I guess - they are very territorial birds) and also saw a nice pair of thrushes. 7 miles logged, though.
    Got back to find a box of Tokyo memorabilia waiting for me - race shirt, some sort of robe, race number and program. Not sure what to do with it all, honestly. It's a nice shirt but I don't feel right wearing something I haven't earned, but hey ho. The robe thing looks quite useful at least.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, regarding the shirt, personally I'd wear it for training.  I DNSd Brussels Marathon but the shirt was given out at the expo; it's a nice shirt (New Balance) and fits well, so I wear it.  Similarly with the Malta Marathon that didn't happen, I still wear the shirt.  It's not that I'm trying to persuade people that I did the event, but it's just a decent training shirt for me.  Regarding Brussels, I went with my club and traditionally people wear their shirts out for a meal after the race, so I didn't do that as I hadn't ran it, but in terms of training personally I wear it.

Shades, I've been sitting here umming and ahhing about what to do this morning.  I know if I go out in this wind it'll result in a lot walking to keep the HR down, which isn't really what I want.  So I think I'll see if it eases and then hopefully find a window where it may be marginally calmer and try and choose a route which is bit sheltered, so avoid the sea front.  OH drove to work today as she didn't fancy walking in this - can't say I blame her!