Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-They have some up here on the 5th and 6th so will keep an eye out if they happen.
    Big G/Shades-I'd like to do Comrades in a few years so that's the long term aim,looking to try a 50 at some point,don't want a hard trail type but there are some canal ones around or cycle path/rail track ones.There is actually a canal by me that leads all the way to Shrewsbury,so may try some on that to ease in to it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Cal - is your hamstring healed do you think?

Rcouture - if you're happy running the same route every day that's fine and your motivation is there so no problem.   I like to run as varied a route every day as I can, I often set out on one route and then ad hoc will veer of somewhere else and do a bit of exploring.

This may be why Runthrough are so confident.   Seems a bit premature of EA to issue this statement and if we do go back to tiers a bit unfair on those that might be in Tier 3 as they can't race.   Especially as until they look at the stats won't know which Tier an area is in.

https://www.englandathletics.org/athletics-and-running/news/athletics-competition-planning/?fbclid=IwAR3AAslBhhvgzXjgwJS_DXMBB558_6A7HryS3eBvbmATQoPl_fkPlKUdO38

Ian - Comrades is an iconic race, good goal to aim for.   It's more the heat and rolling hills that make Comrades challenging than the distance.   

7 miles this morning, cold and dry, then heavy rain for the last mile.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I watched that documentary about Western States last night.  Quite interesting seeing a young Kilian before he got very well known.

My resistance bands arrived yesterday and I'm pleased with them.  They are 1.2m in length but quite stretchy, and there are 5 bands of different strengths.  They have carabiner so you can attach multiple bands if needed.  There is an ankle strap, a door strap to attach them safely to a door (with no risk of them pinging back in my face...!), and two handles so I'm quite pleased with them.

It's been two weeks since my back procedure and they did say no strenuous exercise for 4-6 weeks but I think easy runs isn't classed as strenuous exercise.  The wound is healing well, although it is red.  It's not inflamed, it's dry, and the redness isn't spreading (the redness is just around the wound itself) so I've been told it's fine as I called the hospital to check yesterday.

Foot and leg felt pretty good so I tried a short run on the flat.  Only 3 miles, and on turning my watch off to walk up the steps up to my house I felt the foot only at that point - up until then I had no problems.  I'll see how it goes, but I may alternate days for a week or so and just stay at 3 or 4 miles and take it very, very easy, whilst still doing the strengthening exercises.  It was nice to be out though and I had a nice run out, up until walking up the steps.  It was a very, very easy pace (i.e, over 11min/miles), but that's fine.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good you could get out again,I'm hoping to do the same when the rain dies off.
    Shades-Yes the hills will be the main challenge,this is part of the reason I want to do DD again,as I don't want think I want to do Comrades until I have a good run there
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    http://japanrunningnews.blogspot.com/2020/11/jaaf-study-of-787-races-held-since-july.html?m=1
    I k ow the rates of infection are lower in Japan,but interesting states on infections.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good that you can finally run again.

I would assume strenuous, as it relates to your back, would be activities such as rowing, weight training, throwing, rugby, football etc.  

How's the achilles?

Ian - yes, a good run at DD would set you up nicely for Comrades prep.  There must be plenty of training plans for Comrades, I've not looked at them but quite interesting I would think.

Not sure how meaningful that report from Japan is, might have only been one person with symptoms and hundreds who were asymptomatic.  But I agree, it seems outdoors there seems very little chance of transmission.
    I see online lots of runners and others now testing positive but most seem to have contacted it from family, a few from friends or workmates, all indoor contact.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I think Comrades and DD are usually a week or two apart as over recent years I've always hoped that Steve Way would do DD as a warmup to Comrades, but he never has.  He obviously does do local races as I remember when he did well at Comrades recently, his sponsors had some of his running results on the website, and it mentioned his recent time at North Dorset Marathon.  I've seen him at Torbay Half before too and Shades he was at Stur Half last year.  I wonder if something like DD is on his list at all?  He must be aware of it, I'd have thought?

Shades, achilles does seem okay but it was only a 3-miler, so nothing to get too excited about at this stage.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Big G-They are 1 week apart so probably too close for a warm up.I seen an interview with him last year and he said he would keep going back to Comrades until he stops being top 10,he wasn't in 2019 and wasnt entered 2020,I think,so maybe he could do it now.
    Shades-Yes there are losts of plans available for them,unsurprisingly a lot involve hills and strength training,I am off for a week soon so will do a plan for DD and I'd guess it could be adapted from the Connemara plans you posted and the Comrades plans.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's promising about the achilles.

I'm sure Steve Way is aware of DD but maybe too close risk wise to run DD the week before.   Running DD the week before would not improve Comrades performance.  After his success at Comrades I expect he's invited back every year.

I've seen him at a few races but usually where a few from his club are running so either as part of a league or chasing the team prizes.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I will have a look at some of the Comrades plans, just out of interest.

Yes, Connemara plans can be adapted for DD, not necessary to run quite as far for the longest runs and hilly/undulating routes for some of the long runs perhaps.  Connemara is not as hilly as DD.
    You should write/adapt your DD plan to suit you.

Time goes so quickly, if Connemara goes ahead I should start the 18 week plan on 14th December, but I need to add in a 2 week cushion for niggles and/or bad weather so will start on 30th November which is soon.  :o
  • Options
    I looked at a few of those Connemara plans and some are brutal!! 8 miles at HM pace, ouch!! Would get you in great shape though.

10 miles with the middle 4 at MP on Thursday (7:04/7:01/6:59/6:39) and an easy 8 miler today. 15 planned tomorrow for a 50 mile week.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    6 miles today got me out and about again, perfect running weather really, nice temp,no wind, little spots of rain. It's a pity I wasn't ready to run long yet.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I'm going to do that session in the Connemara plan at 85% for the faster part of the session, that's pretty close to my LT threshold.   I don't actually know what my HM pace is anyway.   Still not sure how I'll get on with that session.

Nothing wrong with your MP.  :)

Ian - but you're feeling stronger aren't you so you'll soon be back to normal fitness.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I was feeling stronger until last evening then I could feel it again,now this morning I can barely walk on it again.I haven't felt it at all for the last 2 days so don't know how I'm supposed to know when it is ok to run on.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’ve no answers Ian, but I share your frustration. I thought I was doing everything right with my Achilles a few weeks ago when I was pain free for a couple of days, but yet it still came back after what I thought was an easy/sensible run. It’s incredibly frustrating :(
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, 

Sorry to hear about everyone's niggles. I hope they begin to improve. 

@big g: the best thing when I had pf was a tennis ball.

@ian: it's be great to see what you can do on the DD course. It's definitely tough terrain. 

@shades: you've not got long until you need to prepare for Connemara. Do you think it'll go ahead? 

A busy week for me. I've decided to try and shoot for a 5k pb in December. A friend is running a virtual event to raise money for their charity so I thought it might be a nice excuse to try something shorter. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Ian - so sorry to hear that, PF is a b*****d of an injury.  To be honest it would have been a miracle to recover from it that quickly.   Judging whether to run when injured or not is like roulette.   
    Some folk have success with taping up the foot, which gives the foot some support and they can continue to do some running.

8 miles this morning, perfect running weather, lovely morning.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - xpost.

re Connemara, I don't know.  It might but there might not be travel to Ireland without quarantine.   Now I think a lot depends on the vaccine and how quickly that has an effect on our freedom to travel and race.   But I've decided to go ahead with the training, it's likely the gym either won't reopen this year and/or be closed early in the New Year.    I do need to get back to long runs, I've so enjoyed not doing them that I need to change that.   But if I can't get to Connemara I will use the training for DD.

Are you enjoying the 5k training?  ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, I’ve got a massage gun with different attachments so I’m using that as I feel I can get in there much better with it.  Physio did also mention a can as well as tennis/golf ball, but for me I think the massage gun is better at the moment as I have more control over it. 

I felt I could run today but I’ve promised myself I’ll only do alternate days (at best) for a week or so to see how I get on.  I have been for a gentle walk (7  miles) with no issues though, stopping for coffee and a bacon bap on the way :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Shades, I wouldn't say healed, but back to niggling a tolerable amount, anyway. It's like the achilles - had it a long time and the discomfort comes and goes. Dorney was the first time it's really kicked off in three years, though. Not sure why, but there you go.
    I know what you mean about enjoying not doing long runs. I've not run further than 12 for a while.
    Ian, really sorry about your foot.
    Big G, bacon bap makes it all better eh?

Had a bash at a 5K today...and it wasn't great. I wasn't full of enthusiasm before I left the house and it took me a while to work out all my sore bits with the roller and ball. (On that note, I've started to think that half of my niggles - the QL, the right groin etc - are caused by me sleeping on my left side. Problem is it feels unnatural to sleep on my right or on my back, so the only other option is my front which often leaves me with a stiff neck). Not sure what to do about that.
    Anyway, I did three miles to warm up. I often do two but the first two were slow so I felt like I needed another.
    I did the 5K itself in 26:34 which is pretty bad, considering it was flat. I know my sleep's not been good and I've had the hamstring problem but I'm still rather disappointed as I managed to bang out several sub-25s during the summer.
    Did another mile to cool-down and left it at that.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, yes, can't beat a bacon bap :)  

I mentioned Kilian briefly the other day, and he's hopefully doing a 24hr track event this weekend, timing to be confirmed depending on weather.  Very different to mountain running, obviously!
    https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/kj-phantasm24
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    The really frustrating thing is, I had the last little ache on Tuesday, left it Wednesday and Thursday and couldn't feel anything those days, didn't feel a thing before or during the run yesterday then this morning it was worse than before.
    Will give it a few more days of no pain this time and maybe just run 3 miles and see if that makes any difference
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Got a letter back from hospital and there was nothing sinister with that mole, so that's good news, as it has been on my mind a bit.  Really can't complain about that from the NHS.  From seeing the GP about a different mole, going to hospital and them finding this one and removing it, and getting the results back was a little over 3 weeks.
  • Options
    That's good news. I think if anything is potentially cancer, they're on it pretty quick. (Fortunately most moles are benign, even if they look a little shady).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - well that's promising about the hamstring, hope it clears up completely in time.

Big G - I saw that about Kilian, pity they can't specify a date, but it won't be that exciting to watch anyway.

That's reassuring news from the hospital.   

Ian - isn't PF usually at its worst first thing in the morning?  Is it the same foot as your niggly achilles?

Just finished 2nd Zoom meeting this week, hectic life I'm leading  :D  It was the ARC AGM today.

I know I have plenty running shoes but now that I've decided the Adrenalines are my future race and long run shoe I need to stock up a bit.

Confession I spent 3 hours on the internet last week and finally found a pair of GTS 20's at £90, first pair cost me £84 but were sold out in my size when I went to reorder.   Was then going to order another pair at £90 but the retailer put the price up next day.   I put up a price watch on RunRepeat and got a pair through Amazon, ordered today at £84, unfortunately they are white but will use them as my long run shoe and keep the nice blue ones for races.   I already have 6 retailers pinned to my taskbar and I'm checking prices daily so if anyone sees Adrenalines on offer over BF please let me know.   At the moment the GTS 20's are so popular that on a few websites they are dearer than the 21 model just released.   Cheapest I can find now in my size is £108  :'(
  • Options
    Shades (and anyone else!): I use Pete Bland Sports a fair amount, and currently 10% off with code NOV10. Free postage over £50. They have a few Adrenalines in stock but depends on size:
    https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Alehouse - thanks, I had the same email but they don't have my size, UK 7.  Unfortunately seems to be one of the most popular sizes.

My latest moan, relates to Pete Bland and quite a few other retailers is that if I filter with my required size it still shows me results with shoes that are not in my size.  Up & Running does that too.   So annoying.  I can only assume they had them in my size at one time.

I think Pete Bland is free carriage over £25.   They're a great shop worth a visit.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Our club have 10% off up and running also now,also no discount off nike or inov8,but a referral link so the club get a small cut if you buy through it,the chairman contacted them all after I got them following big G's tip about sportshoes.com
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: I think you're right about the quarantine. 5k training? Nope. I don't like feeling like I'm going to throw up!

I'll keep an eye out. I'm struggling with finding any adrenaline's for less than 100eur. All of my usual spots are still as expensive or sold out. 

BigG: great news about the mole. Trust you to stop off for a bacon bap on the way! 

Ian; I hope that with a few more days rest that it'll get better. 

Cal: I envy your commitment with your rolling etc. I always forget to do it. I suspect that the lack of sleep would have something to do with it? 
  • Options
    Ian - Sorry to hear about the PF

Shades - Lockdown and working from home has taught me that I hate Zoom. I find meetings a waste of time in general but even more of a drag when via video for some reason. I think it’s because they take longer than face to face meetings. Anyway I had one with a client last week that was interrupted by my cat jumping onto a sensitive part of my lap which was a shock to all concerned 😬

I’ve also bought new shoes. I got some ASICS kayano 27s as higher drop daily trainers to rotate with my Arahis. My Nike infinity reacts just weren’t working as they are too loose around the Achilles/ankle and letting my wonky left foot,  and therefore knee, rattle around all over the shop. Tried the ASICS out on an easy 5 miles today and they seem fine. Heavy which is fine for easy runs, but comfortable and definitely high on stability.