Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, when I previously commented that my laptop "was running quite hot at the end" of last night's session, the same could have been said for myself ;)  It worked though, so that's good news.

Ian, that's great progress on that race!

Sorry to hear you're struggling, Robert, but well done for getting out on those runs.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    We are down for a lot of rain the next couple of days,struggling to find a good window today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Big G - I have visions of the laptop self combusting.   You won't need central heating if you carry on with those sessions.

I ran past the vaccination centre today, they started on Saturday, I've heard all very efficient.   They're using the old HMRC/Job Centre building, perfect location.   

Has your Dad has his jab yet, or is he in the next group?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, my Dad had to go to the GP yesterday for something else, and his GP told him he'd be getting a letter this week or very early next week.  People on his street and also his sister have had the vaccine already, and they said it was all incredibly efficient which is great.  Regarding the laptop, I may actually set a fan on it next time.  I mean, it was okay as it didn't crash or anything, but it was good that it was only a 45-min session.  Zwift uses a large amount of CPU though - I think rendering the graphics of me and the riders around me, and communicating with the turbo (Bluetooth) and HRM (ANT+) is intensive, and then with Zoom on top of that it was working quite hard.

Ian, not sure if you saw it, but Seth did a 1:05 half on the roads in Florida over the weekend.  He was hoping for 1:04:XX, but I guess he's pleased with that!  He peaked at 130 miles a week (for three consecutive weeks) so he's been getting the mileage in even though struggling at times to do the sessions he wanted in the snow/ice where he lives.

Another YouTuber I follow is in Australia and they're more or less back to normal with parkruns in Brisbane where he is, although it looked like volunteers were wearing gloves and masks still.  It was very odd seeing all the runners together, in comparison to what we've got here.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you might be waiting a while if you're waiting for a dry spell.  ;)

Big G - that's good news re your Dad.

Fan might be a good idea, can't be good for it getting hot.

Isn't it this coming weekend that we have something to watch from USA, is it the Hoka attempt at the world record or one of the 24 hour races, I can't remember?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Big G-Yes I did see it,very good attempt and time.
    Shades-Yes it was the 100k attempt,think it is Saturday,will try and find the link,edit to say it is on at 3pm our time Saturday,link should be on the hoka website.
    OH had her jab on Saturday,could barely lift her arm on Sunday but all good again by yesterday.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good news about OH's jab.

Thanks, I found the Hoka website that says 3pm GMT, guess the live link will be there then.   They're doing one in Japan too I believe, not that I really want to watch both.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I'll try and watch that Hoka event.

Just the 6-miles this morning.  I'd intended to do 10 but cut it short, as I was getting cold in the rain as I wasn't dressed properly for it (it wasn't raining when I started the run).  The temperature is miler than recently, but still I was getting cold in the rain.

• Options
    Ian - Good progress on the bike. The 55 plan is really good, those LT runs are the ones I hate though!! Looking forward to the Hoka event.
    MF - Sorry to hear about your dog :-(
    Shades - Yes, that plan had some really tough workouts in. Yeah not much cut back, but I'd planned around 70 miles as my peak week, so compared to that a nice 12 mile lower.

10 miles today with the session being Moose Fartlek (from Inside Running podcast), 3 mins at 10k, 1 min easy, 1 min at 5k and 1 min easy for 5 reps, so 20 mins of faster work. Ran 3.25 miles in the 20 mins of work. Paces for 3 mins were: 6:10/40/11/16/15 and 1 min were: 5:49/6:11/5:52/38/26. Felt rubbish on the second rep and was going to bin the session, but then seemed to improve.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'm pondering what the reference to a moose means, Steve?  :)  Can you shed any light?  Good session though, you're running very well!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-That is my current plan, I am hoping to be averaging 50 for the last 3 weeks of Feb,then I can look at the likelihood of April/May races going ahead and decide whether to start P&D then or wait until after DD to do it for my Autumn campaign. We have made a slight alteration to those races and binned off Barca now and doing Seville Nov 14th,OH has never been there so we can make a weekend of it, it gives her an extra week of recovery and I have unfinished business there after last year.
    9 miles today, somehow completely dodged the rain, still windy but luckily it pushed me up the last hill home.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    MF sorry to hear your sad news, it's so hard to lose a dog, such a big part of a family. x 

Two of my races moved to Autumn, can't say I'm surprised and it's in my favour as with at least 3 weeks off I'm going to be starting from scratch and that's if my lungs are ok. I had down sized the Total Costal from ultra to half due to being too close to DD I've ask RD if I can change back to ultra as this is now September and DD might not be possible for me or even if it goes a head, not had reply but I'm sure he is very busy and know him well enough that if its possible he will allow me to change. just feel so sorry for all RD's at the moment must make it really hard, and to see footballers not following the rules when so many other sports are having tough times.   

I'm in the land of the living, not been out yet, was going for a walk today but its not dry and don't want to going out in the wet as my body has had enough to deal with. OH has been opening up how worried he was about me and how he tried to be positive around me, lowest point as when I went to hospital he didn't know if I was going to come home. It's starting to sink in how ill I was and there are so many worse than I was.  I've started my Autism course now and will motivate myself over this week, I hope to return to work next week and get a bit of normal into my routine. 
    Take Care x
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - too scantily clad  ;)

Ian - that's sensible race planning for the autumn.

Jelly - so pleased to hear that you are now on the mend and ready for a little fresh air, when the weather allows.

You know you need a very gentle return to walking/running so be kind to yourself and don't rush back to work too soon.

Very stressful time for your OH too and the rest of the family.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you Jelly, and great news you're on the mend.  Just take it steady.

Ian, sounds like you have some plans coming together nicely.  I'm still a bit hesitant to book anything currently - I do have a voucher for Frankfurt but I'm still not sure enough at the moment to book flights.  My mate and I have booked the Masters snooker for next January in London, so hopefully we'll be able to do that at least.  This year's tournament was last week (moved to Milton Keynes!) and we had tickets but obviously all that was cancelled, so it was nice to book something to look forward to, even though it's 12 months away!

I jumped on the bike and did one of the big climbs on Zwift called Alpe Du Zwift, which is apparently an accurate representation of the TdF Alpe D'Huez.  Really tough climbing but I got up it in around 74-mins.  I think in the game a good benchmark is 60mins so I'm a way off that, but something to work on as today wasn't all out by any means.  I tried to reach 100kph on the way back down but didn't manage it....maybe next time ;) 
  • Options
    MF - So sorry for your loss

Jelly - Glad to hear there’s some light at the end of the tunnel. 

Shades - I’ll definitely be watching the 100k. Not just because I love Hokas (😀) but also my favourite runner Jim Walmsley is meant to be doing it. Usually I get bored watching others running for too long but his stride and form is mesmerising. 

7 miles for me. Nought to report. Super balmy so was in shorts and a singlet!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Same here in terms of actually booking,I was looking at Frankfurt again but may end up missing this year,looking at a schedule of Chester, Newport,Seville and Valencia,they are all 3 weeks apart and that is my ideal time for racing well after each other,think Valencia may be a ballot but should get in the others.
    Can you do that climb at any time or is it only on certain day/times?
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Big G - Good grief that is some serious cycling there! Be careful with that planned snooker watching, you don't want to be struck down with an injury again  ;)

Thank you for all  your lovely comments about my dog, it was a particularly awful time to be honest but I'm trying to focus on the happy memories I have of her. She was a labrador/lurcher cross and didn't have a very good start in life. Her previous owners moved house and actually left her in there.. can you believe it?! I think she'd manageed to find water but was slowly starving to death. The gendarmes were alerted by the neighbours who had heard her whining and actually had to break in to carry her out, she was so weak. She was only about 3 or 4 and took a good year with us to recover and start putting weight on but then she was fine. We had ten years with her and she was a fabulous dog. Anyway, I'm wittering on here but thank you all for your thoughts again.

Jelly - Thank goodness you are recovering. That all sounds quite scary.

Rob - That is an awful lot of flooding there. We had a fair bit of rain a couple of weeks ago but now it's just cold. Minus three this morning and now it's turned into an absolutely beautiful day. Perfect for running. If you can run that is  :#

Shades - I picked up that you had stopped the Connemara plan as I understand largely because of the speedwork and gone back to Hadd.. doesn't Hadd do speedwork too?

Regarding our curfew, yes, they've brought it forward to 6pm now. I just need to have an attestation from my work to justify why I'm on the road after that as I finish work at 7pm. Other than that it doesn't really make much difference to me personally.

Sorry nothing running related to report but your posts are motivating me and I'm trying to believe that one day I might be able to run again.

Not being a drama queen at all there obviously :D

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, that's awful about your dog's start.  I don't understand some people :(  

Ian, yes, you can do that climb any time.  The route I did is called "Road to Sky" in the game, which has a flattish section prior to hitting the climb.  It's in the Watopia world, which is always available.  Currently there is a Tour of Zwift calendar going on and one of the rides was a regular group ride throughout the week where 100s if not 1000s of people were joining (some were getting tech issues as it was so busy).  That Tour of Zwift option is not usually there, but if you just want to go up it on your own you can do that any time - it was very quiet in comparison to other routes!  The other big climb in the game is called Ven-Top (modelled on Mont Ventoux), but that is only available when the France world is available, but the world schedule is known in advance on Zwift or ZwiftInsider if you want to plan to do that one.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Not sure what day I'm resting this week but will do that the day before it,can't see me getting a good time but could be a fun test.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, this link has a description of w/kg needed for certain times.  I averaged about 2.5w/kg but need to get that up about 3.2w/kg to get under an hour, and that is quite tough.
    https://zwiftinsider.com/alpe-estimates/

The other thing I forgot to mention is that it only unlocks when you get to Level 6, but you can get to that fairly quickly if you're not there yet, just by picking off routes with high XP.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Just had a quick look and I am now level 6.I only hit 2.3w/kg in my race so no chance of averaging that uphill, will give it a go, then have a target for a few weeks time.
  • Options
    Big G, you'll need to watch that in the summer - the laptop will get a lot hotter when the ambient temp is higher. Don't blow it up eh?
    I am keen to see the Hoka thing as Carla's there - I'm honestly surprised she was allowed to go but I'm not that sure on the travel rules at the moment. Anyway, she's already there, acclimatising.

mf - it's awful when people just leave pets behind - I really don't know how they can do such a thing. I am glad you gave her the life and love she deserved - just sorry that it ended the way it did.

Ian, Valencia's never been a ballot before but if they are rolling 2020 entries over, they may need to ballot any remaining places. I did have a 2020 place so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Jelly, glad to hear you are starting to feel a bit better. Wise to take things slow. I hope you won't be affected with any of the longterm symptoms some people get.

Shades, I'm like you, I find it hard to motivate myself to work out at home. I always do a bit of stuff before I go out for my run but I'm missing proper weights. Having said that, I do have more time now as I don't have games on my laptop and I'm pretty bored.

Rcouture- it was warmer today but the wind kept me from taking too much off - I did my run in leggings and a t-shirt with arm warmers. I didn't get too hot due to the breeze.
    Easy run, nice and slow but added some inclines in (some of my clubmates are calling them hills but the steepest is 6% at its steepest point, which is just a slope to me after those 12-18% monsters I've been doing recently). Did turn into 9 miles though, which is quite long for a Tuesday run. Right hip felt a little tight so I think I need to do some stretching.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, yeah, I'll be careful with the laptop.  I've heard of people frying iPhone whilst trying to use Zwift on those.

Ian, nice one!  I don't understand it fully but some can find it marginally easier to put out short bursts of raw power on an incline - I think some people can maintain higher power up a hill than on the flat, but it depends on many things (weight, bike, all sorts).  The climb is split into segments that are displayed on the map and a segment board, but when you get to the end of what initially looks like the last segment, you're not quite done....it's about another 2mins from that to get under the finish banner.  At the top, there's a roulette prize....I did all that for a pair of gloves ;)  

Just a quick note about climbing on Zwift.  If you have any notion whatsoever of trying to get the Tron bike (the cool looking glowing bikes), make sure you set the Everest Challenge in the game, otherwise none of your elevation will count towards that.  That challenge is in two sections - the first one gets to Everest and that opens up one bike.  That's 8850 metres of climbing.  But after that, you then have to do another 41150 metres of climbing to get the Tron bike!  That's a lot of elevation!
    https://zwiftinsider.com/tron-bike/

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've got a voucher too for Frankfurt but the last time I looked there were no direct flights from Bristol.   I'll probably leave it this year and look next year as I think the voucher is valid for a couple of years.

Rcouture - Walmsley has already set a 50 mile WR in the Hokas, they must suit him well.

Mamafox - your dog had a good long and happy life with you.   I never understand folk abandoning pets, how hard is it to just take them to an animal shelter.

I did 3 weeks of the Conne plan and had 3 other weeks ruined by ice and a niggle.   The tempo runs were awful, I dreaded them.   Anyway after all that time my average training pace was considerably slower than before I started so obviously the plan was just not suitable for me.
    Hadd's speedwork starts at 78-80% MHR which is probably a lot lower HR than many runners do their easy/long runs.

That's quite an early curfew, reminds me of those war films and the French resistance.

Cal - I think travel is/was allowed subject to Covid tests and quarantine time.

So your computer still not working then.

I'm never quite bored enough to do any strength stuff later in the day.

You've obviously had the better weather in London today.  Has rained here all day, thought it was going to be bad as the seagulls have returned which they seem to do when there's stormy weather around.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Cal/Shades, talking about weights.  A poor delivery driver just brought up a 20KG kettlebell, and my house isn't at road level so he had quite a walk from where he'd parked!  It most definitely isn't mine so OH must have bought another one!  She's massively into it all and it's a big thing for her currently, which all kicked off back in March last year.  She really enjoys it too, which is great.

Shades, you went further than me as I haven't checked flights at all.  I'm really missing that side of things - the planning, and things to look forward to.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - 20kg that's a hefty kettle bell.

I haven't looked at the Frankfurt flights recently, probably when we had an email Nov/Dec I think.
  • Options
    Oof, Big G - I have three KBs (12, 16 and 20) and the 20 is a big bugger. I used to swing 24s at the gym a few years back when lifting was my main interest but I don't do swings at the moment as I'm concerned about setting off my hamstring.

Shades, no, I am not sure it's worth it as I wanted to get a new one built anyway. I've contacted a local company so waiting to hear back from them with an estimate. Until then, I'm using the laptop.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I've down loaded couch to 5k app again and planning to use this for my recovery and think it will give me a good starting point and build up my confidence. I'm not starting yet as I want to get back walking first as weather is so horrible I'm staying in for few more days. I've also had reply from RD I'm booked back onto ultra distance for September date, it's a coastal path 30+ and very local. I'm excited to have a challenge, I know DD is not cancelled yet but doesn't feel like a possibility. 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, OH has 2 or 3 other sizes too, but bought this one as well.  She's got dumbbells of varying sizes and and other items, and has basically built it up from nothing over the last few months.  This 20kg one, although heavy, is actually a bit smaller in size than her 8kg one she has.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I went to kettlebell classes a few years ago, really loved them.

Hope you get a reasonable quote for the computer soon and that they can do it fairly quickly.

Big G - I think it's time you set up a proper gym in your house  ;)

Jelly - Are you sure the app Couch to 5k is a good idea, it's designed for healthy people who are aerobically unfit not for anyone recovering from illness.    From what I've seen about other runners recovering from Covid there is no timetable or schedule you can follow. You really have to progress carefully at your own pace.   If your return to running is initially slower than you would like I think you would find it very depressing, if for instance 6 weeks into C2 5k you were still on week 2.

5 miles this morning, mild, a balmy 11 degrees.   Heavy rain and 40+mph gusts of wind but had a lovely run, most enjoyable.