Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I am looking forward to seeing how I react to it.As I've never really done any speedwork I'm hoping it will take me up a level again.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - you've recovered well from Covid.   Hope your OH is making good progress too.

Yes, disappointing about NDVM.  I need to find a replacement or two.
    On the news this morning there's a headline about O50's being vaccinated by the end of March, which would be great and promising for our racing calendar.

Ian - getting your base level fitness back will injury proof yourself as much as you can before starting the speedwork.

6 miles this morning, chilly but roads completely dry and no frost.   Had a really good run, probably because I wasn't trashed from a tempo run yesterday  :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    TR, good to read you’re recovering so well. 

Ian, well done on your run as well. 

Rcouture/Cal, if you’re into gaming you should get into Zwift ;) They had a record of over 46000 on at one time the other day. 

Shades, I had a good run too, today. As you say it was chilly but hardly any wind today on the front but it looks like the wind is picking up through tonight. Anyway, 7 miles and ticking along quite happily at MAF, so it’s been a good week so far. 

I did an hour on the bike yesterday afternoon and l expect I’ll do similar later today, and then it’s a rest day from running tomorrow. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G/Shades-Did any of you get email offering 40% off High 5 products and 10% going back to the club? I use high5 and 40% brings it about to the same price as wiggle, but the 10% to the club is good.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I didn't get that email.  I do get occasional SiS emails but not High5 ones, but that sounds a good deal especially as you use them anyway.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, I got the email too.   A good deal for a club I think, High 5 is popular and palatable.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'll forward it to you, it's in my deleted file.   Might win you another award  ;)
  • I think my PC's on the way out - one of the fans has got very noisy as of this morning. Good job I have the laptop - only problem is the laptop doesn't have stuff like MS Office, but never mind. It's rather ridiculous that IT repair isn't considered essential given how many people are working from home at the moment.

Anyway, did a 7 mile progression - got up to around HMP although it felt pretty hard. I did a further cool-down mile after for a total of 8. Posterior tib feels a bit niggly - not sure if it's the downhills although it was fine yesterday morning. I'm wondering if it was from trying to trot through that flood.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-I see ome of your guys recorded the fastest 5m in the road relays.
    My club came 3rd overall but expect the big guns to come out on the final and knock us down,as usual we were carried by our kids and girls,of our team of 8,6 were 15 or under 
    https://m.facebook.com/897565123599961/posts/3709940242362421/?sfnsn=scwspwa
  • Yeah Matt's a very fast guy - he won NDW100 a couple of years ago. He and Nick in 4th are both sub-2:30 for the marathon. Andy C-M is actually one of ours too but he's dual claim so he didn't run for us this time.

Aaaand PC is now buggered. I've been keeping it in sleep mode for quite a long time rather than power it off. I shut it down to try and dust the fans inside and now it won't boot as it's telling me there's a CPU fan error. It's done this before but usually boots on second try, but now it won't so I guess the fan is shot. Good job I got this laptop - I'll have to adjust to it now.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - surely computer repairs are allowable, what about those that WFH, it would be considered essential..

Just as well you bought that laptop.

• You'd think but the computer repair place down my road is closed. They do a courier repair service for laptops but don't think desktops are covered - mine is huge so no way they'd be able to take it on a motorbike or whatever.
  • 7 miles at lunch. Decided to risk the common. Lots of mud but not unrunnable. Legs feeling quite heavy today for some reason even at my glacial pace. Guess it’s just the higher mileage combined with extending long runs. Body also not quite used to only one rest day a week either. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I don't think they're allowed to open the shop if they do anything more than repairs, such as sell stuff.

Depends how long you're prepared to wait for a repair.   If urgent there must be an alternative place that do repairs and have a car/van.

Rcouture - the mud can make the legs feel tired.  Maybe do a shorter run tomorrow or take a rest day.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    8 miles this morning in heavy rain, must have been a lot of rain during the night as lots of huge puddles and bits of flooding, we haven't had rain for ages.   Apart from the wet feet very pleasant conditions as not cold.   Definitely noticed that it was getting light a bit earlier today as I was able to come home on the unlit footpath.   Spring is coming.   😎
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Question about electrolytes, I'm still not out of bed, going to try today, it's hard to feel safe around your family after this, had a trip to hospital they didn't keep me in and bloods said my main organs are normal. I'm drinking about 3 pints a day 1.7 litter plus 3/4 cups of tea. I'm very light headed and dizzy and feel spaced out. It comes and goes in waves and it doesn't matter if I'm still or walking around no pattern. They said I was most likely dehydrated and gave me fluids, I had passed out when they they have put canular in for fluids and lost couple of hours. I've been watching my urine colour and it's been very pale more so than normal, I'm thinking are these symptoms due to my electrolytes levels are off and would into any harm having one tablet a day. I've got a pulse oximeter and 111 Dr was worried about my low heart rate and if it was related to my heart (it was in 40's and I'm average 55-60) heart trace fine. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - so sorry to hear you've had a bit of a relapse since your last posting on here.  I can't really help on the electrolytes, I only know what other runners know in that if your urine is pale then that's an indication that you're well hydrated but of course that doesn't mean your electrolytes are where they should be.

Are you able to eat?

A heart rate in the 40's would be normal for a marathon runner but as you say that is low for you.

How is your OH, is he feeling OK now?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry Jelly, I can’t help either but I do really hope that you get better soon. Take care. 
  • Sorry you're suffering, Jelly - good that your organs are OK and I hope you improve soon.
    Rest day today aka walk day - ended up doing nearly 6 miles (a bit over 6 if you add on my quick trip to Sainsbury's earlier) which I didn't mean to, but I was checking out a little garden over Clapham-way. Cold and wet - huge puddles are back again. Got splashed by a car, fortunately not badly.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Got no appetite but have been having my 3 meals a day as OH is very good at looking after me, I'm down stairs but not really moving about as I'm still light headed.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-A computer shop by me is open,so might be worth a phone around.
    10.5m today,first double digit run in 3 months.Feels good to be there again,I know theres no real difference between 9 and 10 but psychologically it is massive for me.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - it can only be good that you're managing to eat 3 meals a day.  Surely that will help to replenish any electrolyte imbalance.

Glad to hear your OH is not unwell and looking after you well.  Just rest.

Cal- that's a lot of walking for a rest day.  
  • Jelly - Hope you get better soon and good that you have some support

Ian - Nice that you are getting your mojo back

7 miles today. Legs felt less heavy after some actual proper sleep for the first time in what seems like ages. 16 mile long run planned for tomorrow to bring up 52 miles for the week which is a record for me. I’m fine aside from some minor knee tendon pain I’ve had this last week which is getting better with some single leg squatting. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - xpost earlier..

That's significant progress, I know exactly what you mean about 10 miles being a landmark.   I can still remember when I was training for my first marathon and when I'd completed my first ever 10 mile run I felt like a real runner.

Rcouture - I hope you can get more sleep as your marathon training progresses as it sounds like you will need it.

I used to do single leg squats in the gym but the last couple of sessions it was starting to give me a little knee discomfort so I may find a substitute exercise when I finally get back to the gym.   I'm not very good at the single leg squats so that might be part of the problem.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Shades - I had this same tendon issue on the other leg about a year ago when I first started running. Rest wouldn’t do anything so I just strengthened it with loads of single leg pistol squats as per my physio’s advice and that worked. It seems like the other leg now needs to go through the same process but I’ve caught it earlier this time.  

I would love to get more sleep but between work, daughters and running I’m lucky if I can sneak in 7 hours as I’m at my desk by 6:30am. Fortunately working from home has meant that on occasion I can get a 15-30min power nap if there’s a gap in my schedule which helps a lot. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture- That is about how much I get as I'm in for 6 most mornings.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I just watched a YouTube video of single leg pistol squats.   I couldn't do that exercise.  I might have a go though 😃 I have a fairly thick carpet to fall on.

But remember if a physio gives you a rehab exercise or stretch it should be done on both sides/legs/arms so that there isn't an imbalance.   Good to know that exercise works though.

Shame about the sleep, I usually only get 6 hours, sometimes 7, and I never sleep right through.   But you maybe need more if you can.  Hard when life is so busy.
  • Shades - Yes they take some getting used to. I used a chair to stabilise myself before I could do them properly. I have been doing them on both sides but I guess I slacked a bit on the non injured side the first time around 😀
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I can't do them, I just tried.   I can't do a deep squat with both feet on the ground.   Probably a combination of too old and too many years running.

Might try again with a chair though 😉

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Decided to do my virtual 10 effort this evening, rather than tomorrow morning.  I just figured it may be marginally quieter in the night than the morning.

I donned the magic shoes and ran down to the front for a 1-mile warmup.  I had a long sleeved top on but took that off and tied it to a fence before starting as it was good conditions for me and I was fine in a T-Shirt; probably I'd have been fine in a vest.  I'd set a "Workout" on my watch as a 10k distance so I didn't have to keep looking at it and it would stop automatically after I'd reached the 10k, which was good as it was quite dark.

I very quickly knew that it was going to be a reasonable effort and although it wasn't an "all out" effort in that I had plenty left at the end, I was very happy with the consistent splits, and I had no niggles.  My splits were 6:19, 6:32, 6:30, 6:33, 6:33, 6:27 and 6:19 pace for the last bit for 40:15 in total.  The course was out and back along the seafront so as before the 180deg turnarounds definitely slowed me down.

I'm not quite sure how really but it seems I'm back in very similar shape to what I was before I was injured.  This shows that, along with some of my training at MAF in the last week where the flat miles have been pretty quick for me at my MAF HR.  So it's back to MAF as before and just get my head down and keep ticking over with the mileage over the next few weeks, and also try to get some hills in as well.