Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    I’m still lurking about! I had COVID 2 weeks ago but seem to be on the mend, managed a 3 mile tempo @ 6:45 min/mile pace yesterday and then 10.5 miles today! Hoping for my first 50 mile week since October…

Alphafly went on sale in Nike and I snapped up a pair for £120 using a student discount code as well!

Hope everyone has a lovely Christmas.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Missed a lot so apologies for not commenting. 
    Bradders-I seen that,but still have an unboxed pair,and 1 with 20m on so couldn't justify another.
    No running,leg was sore last week and work has been crazy,hoping to get out boxing day.
    This year has been weird,only averaged 26 m/w yet I've enjoyed most of my races,windermere was nice to run around and not worry about time.DD was great,still a lot more to take off there.Enjoyed London and getting fitter and despite the training still ended the year with a 3:16 and a great run.
    I see Barca have moved their race back to May 8th.Boston April 18th(if allowed) then Barca and DD could be a great 7 weeks.....
  • Options
    Ian sounds like an exciting 7 weeks! 

Bradders I love a student discount, just not a fan of the workload it leaves! 

Forgot to say hope you all have a wonderful christmas and ignore those posts about having to run 50 miles to burn of christmas over indulgence 
  • Options
    Happy Christmas Shadies!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Merry Xmas everyone. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Happy Christmas Shadies 🎄🎅

bradders - you seem to have bounced back really well post Covid.

Ian - must be a manic time for you work wise.   You've had a good year despite pandemic and a few minor setbacks.   All bodes well for a good year in 2022.   May in Barcelona, will it be warm?
    Hope you can get out for a run tomorrow.

Robert - I heard that from the press about the 6 hours to run, or 50 miles to walk off the 6000 calories.   Don't you just hate that pointless and depressing 'results of research', don't these so called scientists have some meaningful work to do.   :#

Anyway I've given it some thought and an 'average' distance runner (male) probably needs about 3,000 calories a day, so that means a Xmas day excess of 3,000.   By the time you read this you've probably run for 90 mins or so, so that just leaves another 90 minutes running to do.   Nothing to say you have to do that today or even tomorrow.   Sorted.   :)

8 miles this morning, my favourite hilly run, 626 ft.    Roads lovely and quiet, once off the main road all I could hear was the rain gently dripping off the trees and the owls hooting.   I woke to hear torrential rain but it was just light showers when I went out.   But at 3 miles the road was flooded, last time I managed to scramble past on the verge hanging onto the hedge, but today it wasn't light enough for me to see if the verge was a mud fest or not so I ran straight through the flood, was about mid calf depth and very cold water, but feet soon warmed up and just a bit of surface water after that to deal with.

Have a lovely day everyone, I'm off for a hot bath then sort out the roast potatoes.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nice run there Shades, and encouraging calculations too. :)

Torbay parkrun this morning, running from my house as usual, so a total of just over 6 miles. It was raining when I left but was mainly dry for the event itself. I’m generally rubbish at estimating numbers of people but probably around 300 there, so a good turnout and I’m glad I went down this morning. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Happy Xmas all.
    Shades-Yes it could be warm in May,I've actually done as well as expected in my warm races,maybe it makes me think more about hydration etc, rather than winging it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the encouraging calculations are so we can all enjoy our food, today and every day.  :)   so tuck in.  

Ian - May can be warm but not usually high humidity which is the killer for marathon running.   I've done marathon PB's in 20+ degrees  and run comfortably.
  • Options
    Well done to those who got out and those who didn’t enjoy the break, shades you make those numbers seem trivial.

5.5 miles this afternoon very mild day out. 

Merry Christmas! 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Well I bought the Alphaflys,I am returning my unopened pair.May aswell have £25 more in my pocket than Nikes,wouldn't have bothered but I have other Xmas stuff to return anyway.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Robert - well done getting out for a run yesterday, I assume that was pre Christmas dinner.  ;)

8 miles this morning and 50 miles for the week.   Lovely quiet roads again this morning although quite a few cars on the link road which I could see in the distance, I guess quite a few shops open today.   Nice weather conditions today and the birds singing their heads off.

I ate so much yesterday that by last night I felt I never wanted to eat again, felt much the same getting up this morning.   Had a really enjoyable run and by the time I got home I thought a little breakfast wouldn't go amiss, not as hungry as usual after my run though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - xpost.  That's a shrewd bit of shopping.   :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done for getting out, Shades. I think I may well have stretched your eating formula well past its limits yesterday, and I’m feeling very sluggish today so I don’t think I’ll be running!  Hoping to go for a nice walk with Tigg soon though. 

Nice one Ian. The BF deal was a great price, but this one is even better. Shows how much they’re making at the usual retail price, doesn’t it!
  • Options
    Happy Christmas, all. 

I did Heaton parkrun yesterday. It's a lovely park but undulating and I got a stitch halfway round so I was lucky to scrape in just under 28 minutes. It was also very cold - I took my hoody off to warm-up but quickly put it back on again. But never mind, that's another Manchester parkrun ticked off (I've done four now).
    Today I did an early 5 miles to give my friend a chance to have a lie-in. Not as cold as yesterday fortunately.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    First run in 12 days today,managed just over 8,felt good and didn't notice the injury so hopefully I stopped in time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - food hangovers are not much fun. 
    I thought I'd have a terrible run yesterday after eating too much on Xmas day but surprisingly it was the opposite, so glad I went out.

Cal - a stitch is horrible.   I heard it was cold up north 🥶, we in balmy double figures down here.  

Ian - crikey 12 days, that time went fast, but you've been very busy at work etc so I don't expect you had much time to miss your running.   Good news on the leg.

8 miles this morning.  Very wet, had planned a rural route but I think if I'd waited until daylight it would have been flooded so I went out in the dark and did an urban route.   Was also very windy in places, got soaked too, but very mild and I had a great run.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that is good that the leg felt fine.

Cal, well done on the parkrun.  I am hoping to do one when I am in Manchester for the marathon.  

We went for a nice walk yesterday at a National Trust pace called Castle Drogo.  There are some very nice walks around there, and we did a 4.5 mile loop, with some lovely views and about 700 ft of elevation.

This morning I also got a soaking on my 8 miler.  Had a nice run though.  Tried something a bit different today and covered my watch but running to feel (still at what I hoped was MAF).  The first mile was out due to HRM issues, but miles 2-8 were all 142bpm or lower, which is what I usually run to, so I was pleased about that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's good HR control in your run today.   Good to have your 'running to feel' confirmed as the effort that you perceived.   

How are doing with your target mileage for the year?   Of course you could run a few more laps at the RED event if you need a few more miles.

Is your first mile HRM issue the same problem as before, lack of connectivity?   Have you tried putting on the HRM earlier, not just before you leave the house?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think the issue may be that when I start running, I am bone dry.  I do wet the sensors with tap water but if I mess around a bit before heading out, I wonder if the sensors dry out and then don't get a better connection until I am a bit sweaty.  It is annoying though...sometimes it is fine, and sometimes not.  This is the graph from today, and you can see where the connection becomes more secure at about a mile in.  In the last couple of months or so I have started to let the HR drift up slightly on the hills (as you can see below at around 6 miles), but that has been a conscious decision just to hopefully help a bit with DD etc.  Regardless though, the average HR for the respective miles was still below my 142.

Just as a matter of interest, and I know it doesn't mean anything really, I *think* that Fetch is telling me that my average HR for the whole year whilst running (which includes races, sessions etc) was.....141.  I know when I started MAF I really struggled keeping HR below 142 on my training runs, so it is interesting that for the whole year it averaged a bit below that.  Or could it mean that I am taking it too easy on my main training runs?  Possibly, I suppose!

Regarding my mileage, I am on 1959.  Can't see me getting to 2021, but I am not bothered.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well at least it's only the first mile.  You could buy jelly if you were bothered.

I don't use Fetch to log my training, I don't like the graphics and some of the calculations it makes are useless info.

Great average HR for the year though for you.   Doesn't necessarily mean your running too easily as MAF for you is 132 to 142 isn't it.  But an average for the year which includes races and speed sessions is probably pointless info unless every year was the same number of races, base training, speed sessions.

Re DD prep, yes you will need to allow HR to rise on steep hills, I try and keep no higher than 80% on the steeper and/or long hills during a training run.
    I'm not doing that at the moment as doing a base training phase so no leniency for hills for the next few weeks.

Re your annual mileage, just as well you're not bothered, that would be quite an ultra on NYE  :smiley:
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Forgot to say that I'm still on target for 2021 miles, assuming I run 24 miles for the rest of the year.  But not planned, purely coincidental.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Hope I didn't speak top soon.Went out for a run  and had to stop after a couple of miles with a sore ankle.Got back to the news that my son has tested positive for covid,wonderful.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - oh no, is this the same injury again? 
    Maybe your shoes are causing/aggravating it perhaps?

Hope your son isn't too poorly.  Consigned to his room I assume.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes he is,luckily when we moved we set up the extension to be his main room,so he has there and his bedroom.
    It feels like a really weak ankle,but could be anywhere leading to the ankle,it was fine this morning so hoping stopping straight away makes it not too bad.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - fortunate he has his own wing of the house then.

It's possible you went over on your ankle without realising it at the time, it's happened to me before.  Tape it up to give a bit of support.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    8 miles this morning, very windy, gale force in places but not cold.    Went out on the cycle path which looks like there was some flooding yesterday but all clear today.   

Saw the man that I helped last year when he fell on the ice and broke his ankle, he's made a full recovery and walking with no problems now.   I recognised him partly from his dogs, he has 2 Jack Russell terriers and both are almost completely white.   I stopped and we had a chat.   Was good to know that he can still get out and enjoy his walks with the dogs.

Gym reopens tomorrow, I've booked in.   Running won't feel so easy then.  :'(
  • Options
    Big G, I wouldn't choose Heaton pre-Manchester - go for Stretford, South Manchester or Alexander. All nice and flat.

Ian, that's doubly crap, sorry.

Shades, that's wonderful! Glad the old fella is still mobile.

10 mile race at the Velopark today...which meant ten laps. I hate laps and have no idea why I signed up for this...I did it once before and it was awful then too. It's very undulating and I really struggled with the downhills today. I thought I might get more confident with each lap, but nope. It was also windy and there was a strong headwind down one of the straights...ugh. Anyway, I decided to tough it out and got myself around. Time was an underwhelming 1:35:32 but with the wind, the hills and a bit of post-Christmas ballast, I wasn't on for a fast one anyway. Happy just to get it done. 
    I didn't take my chest strap to Manchester but wore it today. Average HR for the run was 173 but once you factor out the first mile, it was more in the mid to high 170s, peaking at 180 on the hills. I'm not sure if my heart is incredibly inefficient, or I'm some kind of freak as I kept it at that level for over an hour and a half and I feel perfectly fine (aside from normal post-race tiredness).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Cal - that sounds like a tough race mentally and physically, well done for slogging it out.

Without knowing your actual HR, but assuming as you think it's about 200 then that's a reasonable average for a 10 mile race.   There's no need to factor out the first mile unless contact was poor and you got silly(high) readings.

So average at 173, if your max is 200 gives you 86ish%.

I usually run a marathon at 85% and a 10k at 90%.

So as you felt OK I'd guess your max is about 197/198ish.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about both your ankle and your son, Ian.

Shades, that is good that the chap you helped has made a full recovery. 

Cal, I think it’s Alexander parkrun I’ve pencilled in - there is one close to the my hotel in the city. 

Me and my mate have tickets for the snooker, supposed to be travelling to London on 9th Jan.  Not sure if there will be restrictions or what at the moment.  There is a marathon on the 9th that I could do instead, which would be good as it would mean one less trip away between Jan-April.  Probably we'll decide this week what we are doing.  Shame if we decide not to go to the snooker, but there is a potential back up plan for me, as long as the event still has places.