Options

Garmin Forerunner 305

Comments

• Options

Anyone know the answer to this:

Ran a bit over the last few months and my runs have been stored.  A while ago my 305 said it was full and didn't record a couple of runs so I had to delete some info from it.  Made sure I downloaded the data to the Garmin software first.

My problem is that it says that no graph data is available for any run from a month ago or earlier and that includes my first marathon so I can't look at splits etc.

Does it tend to only store the minimal amount of info it it's memory gets full then as it does show the total time, distance and date only?

• Options
    Odd, it's supposed to roll over, IIRC. Anyway, if the data are once downloaded then they're on the PC even if you delete all data from the watch - I know because I did it. Did you alter your user name or something, which causes it to start a new history file?
  • Options

Hi am pleased with mine apart from the quiet alarm.

I'm trying to get used to the HRM but am wondering about zones.  I've currently got them set up based on my Max HR (178 based on simple calculation on my age - 45 next week) but did a run today at around 169-170, which is a bit much.

I'd like to use this properly and was wondering how other people have got them set up.  Is it best to do it based on working HR.

• Options

Hello

I encountered a teensy problem with my Garmin a few weeks ago and was advised via email by Garmin support to update the software.

I did this, but I'm guessing something somewhere went wrong as everytime I tried to then open Training Centre to look at my data I'd get a message saying something like "We have encountered a problem and will have to close the application"  Carrying out a system restore didn't get around this.

I re-installed the original software, but since I only had 3 months worth of data on my watch it only uploaded those stats.  So I've lost 6 months worth of data completely, together with all my notes on runs from the last 3 months.  I've contacted Garmin support several times since, but they just keep telling me to update my software and that doing so shouldn't have affected my history.

I read back on here and some person called Lisa (I think?) said that history, TCbackups etc could be obtained by drilling down through the C: drive to the Garmin folder where all the information should be stored.  I did this, but they're all BIN files and won't open.

Can anyone help?  Or do I just have to resign myself to the fact that my data has gone for good  image.

• Options
    MandMMandM ✭✭✭

I encountered similar problem to Shielsy, lost all my data!

I had a problem with the watch and Garmin kindly agreed to sent me a replacement. When i connected the new 305 it created a new profile for me, i was not happy with that as i wanted to combine my old data (old watch) & new data. I tried searching through the forum but did not get any clue how to achieve that. 

I started exploring the software and found out that I could delete the newly created profile.  Thinking behind deleting the new profile was that this would only have one profile (old) on the watch and when I synchronise software (TC) with 305 I will get combined data at one place (old & new).

To much of my horror I discovered that new 305 replaced (not append) the old data with new, hence deleting all the old runs/records I had on the old watch, that was without any warning etc.

Now i am similar situation to Shielsy as I lost around 6 months worth of data! I have also resign to the fact that i have lost that history!

• Options

Sorry to hear you're in a similar situation, mandm65.  I've contacted Garmin a few times about this and every time they advised that I just update the software .... but it was updating the software that was the start of my flipping problems!  The actual original problem was pretty insignificant and live-with-able, I now wish I'd just ignored them  image

I did suggest to them that in future, before advising anyone that to get around problems they should update the software, that they should first of all tell them to back up their data before-hand as a precaution, and they sniffily replied that I should have been doing that anyway ... charming!

• Options

Hi,

Following on from the data-loss problem with the Garmin software, this happened to me twice early on in the 14months I've had the device. I joined www.motionbased.com it's garmin owned but much much better at analysis than the software supplied on cd.

It's an online service which you can pay for for additional features (about £6 per month), the free version allows you to view your last 10 sessions but stores them all for if/ when you start paying the subscription.

If you log-on and do a search for nochickenstrip (my username) you will see most of my training.

MY PROBLEM: Has anyone had any overcharging/ battery emptying issues with their forerunner 305? It's happened to me twice, I've left the device connected to the USB (305 switched off in charge mode) and when I've come to use it the following morning, no power at all.

Thanks, Jason.

• Options

I had a similar problem some time ago, but this was because I left it connected to the USB when my PC was powered down.  For some reason, it drained the 305's battery.

Once I realised this, I only left it connected to the USB when the PC was on, and have never had that problem again.

Not sure if this is the same problem as you mention, but thought it might be worth a mention.........

• Options

Yup, it is the same problem, thanks for the reply.

I've since found that doing a soft restart also sorts out any 'not turning on' problems.

Cheers

• Options
    MandMMandM ✭✭✭
    Shielsy wrote (see)

Sorry to hear you're in a similar situation, mandm65.  I've contacted Garmin a few times about this and every time they advised that I just update the software .... but it was updating the software that was the start of my flipping problems!  The actual original problem was pretty insignificant and live-with-able, I now wish I'd just ignored them  image

I did suggest to them that in future, before advising anyone that to get around problems they should update the software, that they should first of all tell them to back up their data before-hand as a precaution, and they sniffily replied that I should have been doing that anyway ... charming!

you are right they/software should warn users! IMHO all they need to do is create a backup file automatically so even if u lose the data u could get it back via back file, no need for any reminder etc.
  • Options

Hi I'm hoping someone can help

I'm just starting to use my Garmin 305 "properly" and I've noticed a problem with the pace range.  I downloaded the marathon training plan from RW and it has set paces which the Training Centre and Watch tell me before I  leave for my run.  But the alerts aren't going off at the right paces - eg today I was supposed to run between 10.23 and 10.43 and the alerts were keeping me at about 9.55. 

Does anyone know what I can do about this?

Thanks in advance

• Options

Is the 305 the "best" Garmin?

I run about 3 times a week. Would like to be able to know exactly how far I've run and pace myself more precisely but not much other than that. Is a 305 too function-rich for that?

Any help you can offer would be appreciated. 

• Options

Can anyone HELP?

Just had garmin 305 for xmas, i have tried to down load the marathon training schedule from runners world page but cannot open the programme, let alone get it onto the garmin.

Easy instructions would be appreciated as i'm useless with computers!!!!

• Options
    MandMMandM ✭✭✭
    Johnny Blaze-ing fire, with chestnuts... wrote (see)

Is the 305 the "best" Garmin?

I run about 3 times a week. Would like to be able to know exactly how far I've run and pace myself more precisely but not much other than that. Is a 305 too function-rich for that?

Any help you can offer would be appreciated. 

I believe this forum is full of info on 305 so if you care to do search/read you will find plenty of answers!

I was similar situation to yourself about six months ago and did my research and found that 305 is the best out there.

hope this helps to make a decision 

• Options
    a quick question, not sure whether to buy forerunner 50 or the 305. What would i need a foot pod for if the 305 uses gps and , i assume , can work everythink out for you ?
  • Options
    MandMMandM ✭✭✭

Yep 305 uses GPS so you dont need the foot pod for outdoor running but if your runs are mainly indoor (treadmill) then you would need to buy additional foot pod for tready!

cheers 

• Options

cheers  ........i will only be outside  ...looks like im off to buy one   .   seen one on ebay for £99....

cheers

Daz

• Options

Don't know where to start looking on this thread, so I will ask here;

Is the Garmin 305 compatible with Mac's?

Also, how does it work with bikes?

• Options

dont count me as an expert as i am only in the process of researching which one to buy myself but according to www.heartratemonitor.co.uk the 305 is mac compatible.

And it works with a bike by using a " Cadence " which i assume will count each rev of the wheel .

good luck .......Daz 

http://null/garmin_forerunner-205-305-cadence-speed.jpg

• Options
    Just an update, after further reading seems like mac software is     "  forthcoming  " according to Garmin.
  • Options
    The ****** software doesn't work on Windows let alone Macs!! seriously though you can use several freeware programs with loads of different GPS, 305 included
  • Options

Thanks for that info.

I'l try googling to see if there's software available for a mac...... 

• Options

AL,

I received my 305 from Amazon yesterday and did my first run with it today in Regents Park. Fantastic bit of kit and i'm now testing the hrm sat here with a resting beat of 62 which is far too high for me. Must get it down into the 50's.

Not sure about mac software but I will look to get the cadence monitor later so I can use it with the turbo

• Options
    I admit straight off that I am rubbish with PC's / gadgets etc BUT I love my Garmin 305 - trouble is, I don't understand it despite my better half telling me to read instructions !!  I have downloaded RW training schedule onto PC - fine - got calender - fine - just don't know how to view it all on Garmin. Apparently there is a magic button you press on Garmin which will give you details on the days running you should be doing.  Can anyone help me or am I beyond help !!
  • Options
    Have you transferred all the data to the 305 from the Training Centre?
  • Options
    I think so - how would I know ?
  • Options

If you've transferred all the data to the 305. 

Turn on the 305, go to the menu options and select training, then workouts.  Then go to advanced (If memory serves me correctly, I haven't got my 305 with me).  Then you can select workout by date, it should then give you a list of dates, select the one you want and away you go.

• Options
    Moscowflyer - yep it is all there - you are a hero !! Many thanks - I will now pretend to my other half that I worked it all out for myself !!  Cheers.
  • Options

Does anyone know if I can import maps into Garmin TC from Memory Map?

I use Sport Tracks normally, but now have Memory Map and wondered if I could import the maps to TC to show detailed routes on OS Maps. (I know that tracks can be imported/exported directly into the Memory Map program)

Many thanks in advance...

• Options

I have also recently purchased 305 in prepartion for my first marathon.  I love it.

However, when I try to download my history onto my PC it states there is a problem with the communication between the two. My watch does state 'Transfer complete' when I press the icon on my screen and it will allow me to upload my courses on the watch.

Any help would be appreciated before I smash my PC in frustration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!