Options

FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• Options

I went to Geneve (see that, bit of French) when I was 17, we camped on the shore of the lake. 

Going for a little bit of talian now while we wait for the last print.  The designer hasn't mentioned his fees, but he's driven from Bucks to Stansted, flown to Newcastle and hired a car before staying tonight and flying back.  He's actually a very friendly chap, but seems to be in a different world regarding costs.

• Options

Mr P.

funny you should say badmintons bad for me, about 3 or 4 runners have said the same. One of them a sub 3 hr female marathon runner and circuits instructor. I always thought it's a good idea as a form of cross training?. Hope you get the job sorted without a murder!

O/S ADY/ Benyo/Shimmy/Claire and others having a bit of a struggle,

must be weather and time of year I think?. Most of us sound a bit of peak!. A bit of sunshine and warmth will bring us all back to life I reckon.

• Options

Hi everyone...I wish I could have taken a photo of me running through the snow yesterday, it was quite funny, me running through thick snow with the snow falling at 7.20am and not a soul in site!!

My prayers are with you and your friends family SDM and Essence.

Just back from Helmsley...oh and my filling fell out today and my tooth hurts...the one they sorted out last week! image

Ady, sorry, was it yourself that got married in Italy?  Got a couple of questions!

• Options

Back from sports physio for a massive load of work on my quads calves and ITB.  Loads more stretches to do and can try a short run towards end of week.  Knee improving but need more stability and strength like OS.

Out of TW Half on sunday - one of my favorite road runs. What a bottomer!  Mrs Benyos running it so will watching with boys!  That race is a jinx - Ive only been fit for it once in four years of entering and hardly missed any other races!

• Options
    So I'm in Blighty whilst OS is in Geneva! Feel free to pop round to my house and fall asleep in front of my telly mate!

Claire - fire away!!

Back feeling better after some swimming and jacuzzis but I'm going to lay off running for a few days.
  • Options

Does anyone know where I can get a very small water bottle that will fit inside the zip bit of my gel belt!

Ady...apparently Italy need so many months notice for us to get married there, do you know if it's 3 or 6 months?

• Options
    Claire, I can't remember what I did last week let alone 8 years ago! I don't remember it being as long as 6 months. I remember that we had to have a notice posted in my registry office for some time, and at the Italian embassy as my Mrs is an actual real live Italian. They then issued a certificate which we had to take along to Genoa
  • Options
    OK thanks Ady...just got the certificate from the court where Nige got divorced, so going to register at a local office here.  Nige is off to Florence next week with work so is going to speak to his agents, one of them is married to a Lawyer, so hopefully we should find out.  We're hoping to get married in San Gimignano, Tuscany.  Thanks again, we'll get there!
  • Options

Did my normal route of about 5.5 miles, two laps around Tooting Bec. Before I left I asked my daughter whether she was going out, she wasn't, so I didn't take keys.

Legs were tired, but I still did a reasonable time with no pressure.

Got home, wet and sweaty, cold wind, rang door bell no answer.

Long story short, wife got back 20 mins later, my daughter had gone out, forgotten about me (what is wrong with teenagers?), I was starting to get a bit chilly with wet clothes.

Don't worry about my friends - I live a double life, nice middle class white professional in UK, a bit more raw in Houston Texas. Another friend of mine has been in jail for about 5 yrs, she went in when she was about 19, she's out this year, robbery with aggravation, she was in wrong place at wrong time, no jury trial or anything.

If anybody doubts UK is best place in the world to live, just try somewhere else for a bit.

best food, most reasonable/cool people, best scenery, best humour, best parties, best weather, best everything. We have it too good!

• Options

Morning all from soggy Geneva......p*ssing down this morning. This, coupled with fragile knee from weekend, meant I decided not to run, so went to hotel gym instead (actually a pretty good one) and did an hours worth of cardio and core stuff. Seeing knee consultant tomorrow, wish me luck - it is still a long way from OK, but think it is generally hurting a bit less (at least when warmed up)

Benyo - take it very gently when you start again eh ? Former colleague of mine runs TW half every year. I didn't know he was a runner until he mentioned he'd done the TW half one Monday morning when we were chating.

How did you get on I asked. 'Not too bad, bit down on PB but came second.........................' Turns out he was actually quite a decent runner - 'Had a good FLM, came 150th in 2.38'.....................!!!!

Essence - I tend to agree. Have travelled a fair bit in my tme and can't say I have been anywhere that I would desperately want to live instead of the UK - all places have their attractions but UK still has the best of all worlds.

AdyP - you don't have a lot of beer in the fridge mate (well not now anyway)

Claire - how small is really small ??? Have you looked at the Nathan range ? Either that or use a normal water bottle - supermarkets do a big range of small bottles of water for kids lunch boxes different shapes so you might find one that fits ?

• Options

Old Smurf

good luck with the consultant today. At least if you can do some sort of training, you shouldn't lose much of your fitness.

essence

I think you are right about the UK. I  tried to buy a modest apartment in Spain back in 2002. 8 years later we are still trying to get our lifes savings back despite winning our case against the developer!! . Things like law and justice amongst many other things that we take for granted in the UK can not be taken for granted even in some other Euro countries. I appreciate the UK far more than I used to. Still hate the long winters though!

Claire

would a really small bottle carry enough to be of much use on a long run? I've got a belt bottle that holds about 250ml. Not sure if i'd want it any smaller?

• Options
    Thanks guys, it's just I don't like wearing big belts, I have a gel belt and I saw somone recently during a race that had a small bottle that fitted in the zip compartment.  I know it wasn't enough to hold a lot of water, but I just thought it would be enough for those runs I've been doing lately like the Charnwood Fell race where there were no drinks stations.
  • Options

It's too quiet on here today!

Not going to running club tonight as have too much on this week...am off to the dentist again this eve image Going to the Villa tomorrow night with my Dad...Physio Thurs...Friday I have a meeting in Oxford in the morning then hoping to finish early as I have the Belvoir Challenge on Sat morning.  Have I told you all this already?  The race starts at 9am on Saturday and I have to register before hand and it's going to take 1.5hours to get there!!  I'll be shattered before I start!

• Options

Afternoon guys. 

Oh Claire, hope you get your tooth sorted out soon.

OS, good luck iwth the knee bloke and Benyo, glutes glutes glutes.  Get those and the core sorted and you are well away.

I'm stepping up my fizzy exercises, had a bit of a niggle.  Always do this time of year.  I think it is the cold, wet and sporadic running.  I know how to fix it though so no big deal.

• Options
    Hello everyone back to normal today going for a good tempo run later to make up for sundays missed race hope all the injuries heal soon
  • Options
    Hi all,

I've been shamed hiding after NOT running Sussex Beacon on W-end. OH was too sick to drive me down (I don't drive) and I have to confess that I was more than a tad relieved, as the weather was so awful. But what kind of bad attitude is that?? I just cannot cope with being cold, but I really must HTFU, or I'll not get anywhere. So it's HAT OFF to SDM for running in ghastly weather.

I am wearing a Barbour gilet as I write this, and I still have purple hands.

Like others on the thread at the moment, I am also despondent about my weight. Maybe we need to do eight weeks of pre-VLM concerted reporting back, as on the Nam and Bear wieght-loss thread.

Benyo and OS: I wish you both some powerful healing.

Meanwhile, I am in heavy report-writing mode, and OH is off to Sarajevo!

• Options

Arrrh don't be too hard on yourself Dalya...although I am shocked to hear you wear Barbour (it's our compeitor!), I'll have to convert you to John Partridge!

I have come home to dinner done...I've used my slow cooker for the first time and have made beef bourgiogne.  I ate Beef for the first time at my parents last week, and have tried to cook it for the first time myself!

Missing running club tonight, meeting some friends in the local to give them some coats they're having (from our closing down sale image)  and I don't feel guilty!

• Options
    It's worse than you think, Claire: the Barbour used to be my father-in-law's, so it's several sizes too large: I look like a khaki-coloured Sta-Puff marshmallow man, or Puffy's swampy relative!
  • Options

We'll have to get you something better than that Dalya, we've just made some lovely ladies fleece gilets with leather tabs!

Well my beef bourgoigne was gorgeous.....so pleased as its the first time ever I've cooked red meat and the second time I've eaten it in 20 years!  Great too as it's been cooking all day, and something I could do for a dinner party perhaps will very little effort!

• Options

I had left over Beef bourbignon from Sunday lunch for my lunch today, it tasted even better. 

• Options

Red meat? My wife took daughter to clinic to get anito biotics for tonsilitis, I got some food on way home, two nice steaks from marks plus two strawberry tarts (I do like a nice tart), meanwhile wife goes to sainsbury's, get some fillet beef and some fruit tarts (she likes a nice tart too!).

So completely independently we had the same needs! Maybe because we ate fish last couple of days, or else it is the weather and we both need solid food.

Whatever, it tasted good. 

I'm just listening to my body....

Yes, we take a lot for granted in the UK...... 

• Options

Had a slightly traumatic trip home from a meeting in London yesterday. Not only was there a complete signal failure at Wandsworth Common that prevented any trains leaving Victoria, when I tried to get on the packed Tube train to get home via London Bridge, I slipped down between the carriage and the platform, resulting in a scary moment and a grazed and bruised leg. 'Mind the gap' will have more significance'.

Worst of all I got home too late to go up the gym!

• Options

Mornin' all,

Oh no SDM, that sounds scary.  My mum did similar on a train once, very very scary indeed.  And she lost a shoe.

Hope the leg is okay today.

I had a mad anxiety dream about the Moonlight.  I dreamt that I forgot my kit.  Strange.

How are the sore knees Benyo and OS?

• Options

Excellent - now a cooking thread ! Well done Claire, you sound reconverted..........red meat = essential protein in my view <<<<sits back and waits for venomous response>>>>. Puff - not surprised - I reckon the flavour matures over a day or two - I find the same with chilli con carne (always deliberately make far too much so I can eat it for the rest of the week !)

Just seen knee guru. Not much to report - definitely has improved but still swollen and containing fluid, and patella is 'way more to the right than it should be'. Happy for me to continue running within my own pain threshold, continue physio and go back in 8 weeks. Less happy about my planned Brighton/VLM combo but accepts 'you won't listen to my advice will you ?'............

SDM - hope this wasn't a result of a traditional 'wet lunch'..........

Dalya - Barbours are for shooting, not running ! By the way - don't blame you for not doing the Beacon - weather was shockingly bad on Sunday. I remember doing it 2/3 years ago in similar conditions and was shivering for 4-5 hours afterwards (as I was this week after morning escapades with JS)

Essence - my body just keeps shouting 'MORE FOOD'image

• Options

SDM - my regular commute is victoria train through wandsworth common, changing at Clapham junction. The gap at clapham junction is enormous. Scary.

Plus the guards tend to shut the doors while people are still trying to get on the train.

I was once on a train to newquay with drunk teenagers, at the train change a girl fell between the gap together with her suitcase. 

• Options
    I think it was at Clapham where my mum fell.
  • Options

Hi everyone.

SDM, hope your okay and it doesn't affect your running!

My brother and I got lost on the Tube years ago, I was 10 and he was 5, we ran onto the tube and they shut the doors leaving my parents behind, it was the day of the Nottinghill Festival too - what a day that was!

I'm going to the Villa tonight with my Daddy, am very excited!

• Options

Apart from the old train strike days and the odd catastrophic lineside fire/incident/signal failure and afew 1 hour trips that became 4 hrs, worst journey I had was when a visibly drunk guy came staggering along the platform, climbed into the carriage I was in staggered a couple of steps down the aisle and proceeded to projectile vomit his evidently long and red-wine accompanied lunch across the carriage, spraying several people with a warm red liquid and carrots. I escaped with a few splashes on my shirt, and the carriage emptied pretty quickly. Difficult to describe the smell....................

• Options
    Thanks all. The leg is a bit sore but it won't stop me running, of course. It happened at Westminster Tube station and didn't follow a liquid lunch, as  you'll remember I'm on a healthy diet, so the only alcohol allowed is whiskey for medicinal purposes!