Options

FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• Options
    30 miler was a bit crap. My usual problem of not coping with the heat - every time I started running my temp just rocketed and i fel v dodgy. Still, at least managed to finish after last years failure.
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Only you could be unhappy after finishing a 30 mile run over the downs OG!

Tonight was club night, our "track" session, we jogged out to a local school field where there's an oval on the grass and did a reverse pyramid, 2 minutes, 90 seconds , 60 seconds etc with 30 second jogs in between then back up to 2 minutes, then a hard run back to the start. Just for fun I tried to lean from my ankles and went past the chap I'd been following with no apparent extra effort!

I felt a bit heavy after my holiday, but felt good at the end, and had a catch up with a few people I haven't seen for a while.

I've pretty much decided not to enter Chester Mara this year, I missed a lot of races that I enjoy in the build up last time, and I didn't feel as if I'd got it out of my system when it came to London. So I will enter some of the other local races and work towards a 17 mile race along the sandstone trail in early October.
  • Options

Sounds like a rough session Mr P. The leaning thing in chi is just weird when you first try it - you do a drill (on the workshop) where you run in pairs (having first spent a long time on stance etc), and one leans forward and inch or so more than the other, and the change in pace is immediate and obvious, for no apparent extra effort.

Yes, afraid I'm not happy with the 30. I reckon I lost c30-45 mins more than I wanted on the second half but simply didn't want to wipe myself out as I've done before in the heat. As a result of taking it 'easy' (not sure that's the right term for any Downland run),I have no after-effects - went to the gym yesterday and did 30 mins on the crosstrainer and legs were fine. Reading some of the other forum posts/reviews on the event seems like quite a few suffered in the second half and certainly the finish looked like a bit of a war zone. It's a very tough route - second half has some really long climbs, two in particular of c 2 miles each. Will probably be back next year to have another go though.

Going to be taking a bit of a breather now, no events until Farnham in September and then a busy Autumn..........image

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I think I've had my breather...the lowest July mileage since records began.

Club night again Thursday, 5 miles, and a great 5 mile easy run yesterday o into August ready to go for a good half. Going to be difficult getting off the couch for the next fortnight though.
  • Options

Hello everyone, not been on for a while.  Hope we're all okay.

I'm still struggling with injury but just running through it, turning up to score points for the club races to try and win the summer league.  There has been a falling out in the club over the ladies team and as captain I have found it really tough.

Anyway this weekend we had 2 teams for the 24hr adidas thunder run at Catton Park which is local to us.  We had a great weekend, I managed 40 k and a run through the night.  The night run was amazing, I got such a buzz from it, haven't felt like that about my running in a long time and it reminds you why you do it.  It's a great weekend, you can just enjoy your running with no pressure and the off road course is quite tough but brilliant.  The switchbacks through the forest in the dark were tricky!

I am shattered today though as I didn't sleep at all Saturday night.  I was in bed for 9pm last night and have a long shift today at work.  Then I'm meeting a couple of people from the club tonight to do a reccy of tomorrow night's club run as I am hosting it!!!

Happy days! image

• Options

Claire, sorry to hear of your woes - hope everything is sorted out soon.

Had great week's fellwalking in the Lakes last week, although the weather was nothing like as hot as it was here. Did over 60 miles and climbed 20,000 feet, including the Langdale Horseshoe that has been on my 'to do' list for a while.

Next up is the Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1, although may do the Milland Valley Trail half this w/e - the top rated August event in RW. Both will give me a chance to practise the Chirunning over a longer distance.

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Not good Claire on the club front but great running. I would like to do a night run but I dont think I could...if I stay up too late I just feel wierd.

SDM our next walk is going to be Blencathra I think, and possibly a route to link up from Honister to Cat Bells and Keswick, we're a bit OCD about joined up walks.

I did a good race in Keswick one year, the Newlands Valley Round, about 5 miles, only one hill to speak of, start and finish at a local grammar school.
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Women's mara going past the Sherlock Holmes!
  • Options

Wonder if they'll be popping in later for a beer and the ritual post-mara telling of the astronaut joke?

• Options

Wooo, quiet on here. Hope everyone is OK and still basking in warm & fuzzy post Olympic feeling. What a sensational fortnight. Unbelievable.

Just ticking over on the r*nning front, couple of midweek sessions and an LSR typically, enjoying taking it relatively easy with no specific training goals other than working on technique and hopefully staying injury free (just celebrated first anniversary of sorts......as was on Downland 30 last year I had my last 'proper' running injury). Did do 19m on the Downs on Sunady, again a bit warm but enjoyed it - although would have done less if I'd known I had to play cricket Sunday afternoon as well.....(junior's team were short)

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I went to the men's marathon on Sunday, an amazing experience to be so close to runners of that calibre, great atmosphere outside Buckingham Palace. Very inspiring.

Thinking about VLM now...
  • Options

Hi all,

like you GH, I am just ticking over with nothing planned just yet. I had an enforced rest due to injury. I went on my annual riot training in early August, on day two I was hit on my right thigh with a block of wood. At the time with the adrenalin flowing, you just get on with it, finished the course and the leg started to hurt. Back at work the day after and a few days after that I could hardly walk, it was like having a dead leg. Rested for over a week and a half but back running now, although I got a twinge on my last run. Maybe just stretched a bit too much and pull at the healing bit, seems alright now.

Enjoyed the Games very much but no VLM for me next year, I might try to see if I can help out on the day either at the start or finish.

Hope you are all well.

• Options

wahey, just popped on only to see some chi stuff - got my introductory course on 22nd

• Options

OMAHD, I think chi running is brilliant - although I'm still learning the technique.

• Options

went for the chi running course last Saturday, just four of us, a fit barefoot late 20s girl, a middle aged french lady and a 60 plus non runner - an interesting bunch!

spent about 4 hours in the gym going over posture, cadence, leaning from the heels and stuff, then outside on the track - felt a little different but lots to think about.

bought a pedometer off amazon which arrived yesterday and went for my first training chi run early this morning ....

i have only been running occasionally over the last 12 months, 2/3 times a week for between 4 and 7 miles with the dogs, just enjoying my runs in the north yorkshire countryside doing 9 or 10 min miles 

i thought that I'd just try running at 180 cadence today with the beep beep tiddlybeep of the metronome ...

well, i ran over 5 miles at sub 8 min  miles with hardly any effort - it just kinda happened ... so interesting times .. lets see how the next few runs ago ..

• Options
    Hi everyone....anyone running Beachy this year?
  • Options

Hi Claire - I should be, although have New York the following weekend so still not 100% certain

Just got my 'get lost fatty' letter from VLM. Oh well, probably wouldn't have done it anyway as Brighton is the week before.

OMAHD, good to hear from you (funnily enough I came across our old finish line pic from a few years back at the weekend image) - keep plugging away, it took me a year to get to grips with it (but I've now gone 15 months without a torn calf muscle which were plaguing me previously). What I also found really useful was going to see the Chi-guru lady for a 1:1 session for an hour after a year. It is just brilliant when it clicks into place.................

• Options

Hello Everyone, I got a place at VLM so as soon as I am over this nasty cough I will be getting down to it again.

I had to miss a local trail race today, so I went to watch and support, handed  out some chocolate to some of the strugglers near the end.

I will be watching the Chester Mara next week too. Then I might actually take part in a race after that.

• Options

Well done Mr P, two guys from work got the rejection letter.

• Options

I've had the 'get lost, fatty' letter from VLM. Oh well, not bothered. Have Brighton the week before so will concentrate on that....and thinking of doing something a bit more ambitious a few weeks after that....imageimage

Hope everyone is well.

• Options

Bloody hell OG, you're not going to have a wash are you?

I didn't get in either which is good as I'm only just about walking limp free!

• Options

Out of running at the minute with a calf injury. I had a few niggles for a couple of weeks, but it finally went last Saturday.

• Options

Had a wash on Monday - torrential rain for an hour while I ran around Central Park in the dark..........

Think I'm v reluctantly going to give Beachy a miss this year.image Not running very well at the moment and don't want to risk an injury before New York on 3/11