Options

Pooh's Corner

Comments

• Options
    BTW, thanks for the hints about the loos for sunday.
  • Options
    That's OK -

agree with the telly stuff and sitting playing with his train set too! he and I love doing that and although I'm not blessed with any artistic ability he is quite happy with the trains and monsters inc characters I draw for him! and my singing too! can't sing and sound like something off the X Factor auditions - but am still required to sing to him at night!

The joys of all it all
  • Options
    that's wierd. i have a degree in music and used to sing with the bbc symphony chorus but mini tweety always protests when i start singing. she only lets me sing the theme tune to something special and that's probably because she's watching me sign along with justin, ha ha!

i have no natural sporting ability but mini tweety likes me to dance and run with her. strange.
  • Options
    I am only allowed to sing two songs though, A mouse in a windmill and Morningtown ride - both of which when he is settling down to sleep.

Come christmas though it will be the first verse of every carol I can remember and that will continue way into the new year when he will say 'it's not christmas anymore daddy!'
  • Options
    I am nearly in tears at that post its true money can't buy the things I get to do with Mol. You have to sing Morningtown ride too Grendel. My dad used to sing it to me. I sing it to Mouselet. I have it on tape as well, it was my dads one of the few things I grabbed when he died.
    Not got to the carol stage yet. But does Here we go around the Mulberry bush and row row row your boat count. If she's in her swing I have to sing. (i can't sing for toffee). I have to go through all the ones I can remember whichincludes Captain Beakt from start to finish. (ok I am off th die of embarressment in the big hole I dug last week after admitting a few of my worst moments on the forgot your shorts thread).

Well that and putting up my hubby's bait for tonight.
  • Options
    That should be Captain Beaky. Fingers not working.

Didn't get to run today. Mum came for tea. (nightmare). 'Should I be running in the GNR when so many people have died. You do have asthma after all' and lots of other stuff on death and the like. Going to try a gentle jog tomorrow to see if I can loosen up a bit. Its hell going down the stairs.
  • Options
    just remind your mum that paula radcliffe has asthma as well and she does ok...

and tell her that a hell of a lot more people die from being overweight and unfit than those that do from actually exercising.

i'll get off my soapbox now. although i've entered FLM ballot and for a GB place and haven't told my mum yet. she went a bit bonkers when i told her i was running a relay leg of the luton marathon in december. oops.

seriously BM, if you are happy doing it then s*d it to everyone else.

p.s. can't think of any songs that mini tweety likes. usually anything hi5 related.
  • Options
    I try tweety. She worries about me I suppose but it drives me mad.

Good luck with the place in FLM. Would love to do it, but am a bit of a coward. Its not the 26 miles that bothers me really (though I am suffering after 13.1). I guess its because I would be doing it on my own. Hubby fancies a marathon, but not sure if he means a Snickers bar.

I think I know which train set you mean. Mouselet was playing with it in ELC last week when I was getting great neices birthday pressie. Its still a bit little for her yet, but Mum in law got one packed in various plastic boxes from her 18 year old cousin. Its lasted through her other 2 cousins as well so they are well worth the money. Oh dear sugar overload. Think Mouse had that yest. She didn't sleep very well at all. So Mummy was grumpy today. Thing is although was tired 2 hours ago am wide awake now. Think it was the bath.

I don't think I have any natural sporting ability either. I hated running at school with a passion. Was never any good at it. Took it up in mid 20's to mend a broken heart. Didn't do much for my brain at the time though.

Mouselet runs everywhere. I hope she is going to be good at sport.

Well off to bed. Must try get a better nights sleep. Going to print out that thread Grendel and pin it on my notice board so when Mouse driving me insane I can look at it.

She wouldn't get her hands washed today after being in the garden. She kept running off giggling. I picked her up telling her off in my sternest voice and she laughed all the way to the sink. She got me sussed.

Night all.
  • Options
    Going to Newcastle on Saturday to Northern Runner hopefully get some new running shoes. (Didn't get to the pasta party Saturday) So may get to go for the Lush bars (we don't have one here).
  • Options
    i know what you mean about hubby and the marathon. it only means chocolate to my husband!

have fun in newcastle at the weekend. the lush massage bars are lovely - i have amazonian and soft coeur. soft coeur smells just like palmers cocoa butter which i slathered all over me when i was pregnant. there are quite a few others - i love going round lush smelling everything.
  • Options
    It does annoy me this – people have died thing, not sure how many died at the weekend, but last year I think the total figure in the GNR was 3, that’s 3 out of 36,000 odd people (I don’t mean odd in that way) which is such a small percentage that it doesn’t really make it a risk at all in my book – I realise that your Mum is probably concerned but as Tweety said, the days of wrapping people who suffer from asthma in cotton wool are over. If Paula never achieves anything else, she has proved what can be achieved. As a result of that next year I’ll expect to see you up with the leaders in next years GNR/FLM.

I thought that post summed being Mum/Dad very well – but it is worth printing out – although not sure my wife would agree at the moment – he doesn’t like her again at the moment!

Our baby sitter phoned last night to say a death in the family meant she couldn’t sit for us Saturday – so are both a bit disappointed but we will go out for lunch with Nathan instead and re-book her for the end of the month. Won’t admit I read a few of your worst moments – although I will admit I once ran past a car on a training run and ripped my shorts – fortunately I had a pair of swimming trunks on underneath!

And Tweety why is your mum worried about the Luton marathon relay – I guess you won’t be running further than you are on Sunday. Do you belong to a club Tweety then?
  • Options
    thank the lord you were wearing swimming trunks underneath grendel!!!

i'm not sure about why my mum is worried about me doing the luton relay. when i mentioned that i was doing a 10k she seemed worried and i only told her about the luton relay (8.73 miles) just before the weekend and her reaction has told me that i will wait until i get a place for FLM before i tell her i'm running it!

my mum did a lot of sport when she was younger which makes it even more wierd. it's not as if i've suddenly said i'm doing a marathon next week. i am building myself up gradually. i've done a few 5ks, then a 10k, a 1/2 planned hopefully for March 07 and then FLM.

i don't belong to a club. one of the marshalls at barking asked me if i belonged to a club. i've never been one for group activity; i've always preferred working out on my own because i like to stick to my own pace and not feel as if i have to keep up with anyone else.

sorry to hear you're not getting your evening out on saturday. hope the babysitter is ok.

talk to you all soon.
  • Options
    My worry with the baby sitter is that Nathan is going to start asking her questions about it - we told him that one of her family had died and he keeps asking about it now!

The only reason I asked about belonging to a club was because you are running a relay and I just wondered how you had got involved with it?

I always loved running relays because running is such an individual thing, it was actually quite nice to be part of a team - also I was aprt of a Barking team that was quite succesful at the time winning the London to Brighton Relay and the Essex Way relay 4 or 5 times.

Can understand the attraction of not running for a club though.
  • Options
    I am sorry to heaar about your babysitter grendel. I would be gutted. Mum in law babysitting tonight as hubby not long back from job interview and he's tired. Mouselet sitting in a cardboard box. Its given her hours of entertainment. As well as a bag of brightly coloured clothes pegs, a few brass candle sticks , some dusters (different colours) I can now add a few cardboard boxes to must have items for christmas. You buy them toys.....

There was one 29 yo died at this years GNR. I think theres a sep thread on it. Our local rag running (no pun intended) a poll to ask if the GNR should continue when so many untimely deaths. The fact that 1/2 the people replying will have never run for the bus never mind put down their fast food long enough to run to the loo really gets my goat. I deel for the family of the ? man, but this years GNR has more medical staff, buses towards the end to ferry anyone who felt they couldn't go on back to finish. Plenty of water Though I did see people taking 2 and 3 bottles of water despite pleas in the lit not to and sports drinks. There were medics on Bikes. Water at St Johns ambulance stations. At the 1/2 way point it There was a big notice telling you it was 20 degrees and to make sure you took it easy and drank plenty. What more could be done?? I don't want to go yet but If I could choose it would be running.

Got to go book thrust on kneewith demand 4 round and round the garden.
  • Options
    Tweety mum tried to persuade me not to run my 1st GNR when I told her. its hard but they worry. The relay sounds good fun.
  • Options
    i got involved in the relay team with someone over on the events thread (brooks the beast) who put a post asking for volunteers for a RW forum relay team. there is a time limit of 5 hours on the full marathon but i should be able to manage one leg of 8.73 miles. i'm really looking forward to it because i'll get to meet a few more forumites.

i am hoping that my mum will be a bit more understanding about FLM. i have chosen macmillan as my charity as two of their nurses cared for my father in law before his death in 1991 and they also counselled my mum's friend just before her death a few weeks ago. my mum has always been an avid watcher of FLM and would always come up to london to watch it, especially when i was at uni in london.

hope hubby's job interview went well. know what you mean about the cardboard boxes. we bought mini tweety something last year and she spend half the day getting in and out of the box it came in. ho hum.
  • Options
    So lets get this straight then - 1 man died (albeit a 29 year old) that means 35,999 didn't die then -

Now I might be wrong but for a 29 year old male to die doing excercise suggests that something might be wrong with him -

A few years ago a doctor in the Sun did an article on how bad jogging was for you and they enclosed a picture of a runner doing the London. His face was contorted, his muscles stadning out on his legs and he looked under a lot of strain, the doctor was asking if this jogger was putting himself under so much strain how could it be good for you. What they neglected to say was far from being a jogger, the guy was Kevin Forster, a Geordie lad who was in the process of running 2:10 and qualifying for the Olympics at the same time.

There have been all sorts of arguments over the years about how bad running is for you, but running has enhanced far more lives than it has ruined.

There was a an American Running Guru called jim Fixx (an author of running books), who dropped dead at 54 whilst out running - all the scaremongers came out of the wood work - what they neglected to take into account was that Fixx had been a heavy smoking, heavy drinking journalist before giving it up at the age of 34 to take up running - both his father and grandfather had died at a very young age 34 and 45 of hereditory heart disease and far from killing him, it was generally considred that running increased his life by a good 10 years as it was found afterwards he was suffering from the same heart disease that had killed his father.

Rant over

Enjoy your games this afternoon BM
  • Options
    Well I I said on GNR death thread My friends uncle died whilst out running. He had a heart attack. He was fit. took part in marathons and the first few GNR's. His wife was devistated but as she said at his funeral he would be a big miss but he died doing a hobby he had real passion about. I wouldn't let it stop me running. My dad and 2 of his brothers had heart attacks but they were never sure if it was due to heart disease or the fact they all had rheumatic fever as children. It was pneumonia and heart failure teamed with rheumatoid arthritis that got him in the end God Bless him. But he was oh so proud of me doing the GNR the first year I did it and I was on telly running over the tyne bridge. I felt like a real hero that year. Had to have tests etc when he died. All okay. Nurse said better to get some form of exercise than none at all. When your heavenly bingo number up you gotta go. She was good fun though.

Hubby's bait to put up again. Here goes.
  • Options
    Well I am off to bed. HArd afternoon of trying to find homes for stuff out of the last cupboard I have left in the kitchen, make tea and amuse Mouselet. Am getting sick of row row row your boat and Mulberry bushes. I wish horsey horsey would get home and peter and paul would find a nest further away from here. As for pat a cake - don't get me started.... Still its been good fun, as she asks birds.. mulb... horsey... boat and screams when you sing about if you see a crocodile. Have drawn cats and dogs, nursed a poorly dolly, kissed a bumped head better, she woun't look where she is going. Laughed at her shouting loooooocy after the dog. She fed the dog half a bag of food while I was packing a box. She kept taking a handful of dried food and offering it through the baby gate. The dog was ever so gentle. She sat and asked for the food and Mol kept putting it on the floor. Lucy waited until the hand was back through the gate before tucking into it. Will have a hyper dog tomorrow but am planning a run so that should help.

These are the times I really, really love being a mother and today was one of those days. She hasn't been too tired or whingy, just lovely.

Been to check her and shes all curled up. Sound.

Tweety that sounds really good. I wish I could do something like that. FLM is a big dream. I ran 3 years for Macmillan nurses they were brilliant with my uncle and his family. Going to Give donation to toy appeal on ward that treated Molly. Have £20 from making my own cards as apposed to buying people birthday cards. Its not much but mum promised me £5 as did Hubbys mum and dad. I know its not much but they really treated us well.

Grendel: technical question:

I can't see me getting to do any more races before next year, do you know of any running shedules or advice etc that would keep up my fitness. I don't know if I should build up my speed or just try to keep up fitness levels during the winter, as its coming in dark now. Its been 4/5 years since I did winter running. Then I just say kept up fitness levels or seemed to have injury after injury one year, but we had just bought house and was up and down ladders.

I agree with you Grendel. if they are going to point out the negatives why can't they balance a positive with it such as Findlay Youngs 24 1/2 marathons in 24 consecutive days. Now that was some feat. Am sorry and I told mum this until they find real proof that running kills then I will continue on doing it for as long as I can. If I die whilst on a run, then my time must be up and at least I will die happy (unless I was on course for a PB).

Well off to bed. Before the mouselets witching hour starts. She's banging around her cot now. Night all.
  • Options
    I wish I'd been wearing swimming trunks when my shorts gave out. They were brand new as well. 1st time worn. Could have been worse though. An ex-friend runs with no undies just shorts.
  • Options
    BM

I didn’t post yesterday because was at the hospital with Nathan over his constipation. The paediatrician was very please with him but has prescribed a new medicine called movicol which we have to mix with water (the lactaluse he takes in his milk) and ensure he drinks it throughout the day – which is easier said than done – oh well it is one of those things as my Mum said last night (3 times in 10 minute conversation)!

I didn’t know when I was sounding off about running deaths – it does explain why your Mum is so concerned though. I lost a former training partner a couple of years ago, he had a heart attack whilst running along the Thames Embankment outside St Thomas’s Hospital and they revived and saved his life – but he was warned that if he carried on running he might not be so lucky, and he just took the attitude, he loved running, he had always run and no one was going to stop him, unfortunately it did stop him when running on a treadmill – this time he couldn’t be revived – But he loved it and went the way he wanted to go – and he was very fit!

Now to try and answer your question re running, I have never used any of the schedules that they publish in the RW site but presumably they do work.

As you have no short term goals to aim for, why not select a race to actually target for next year and build up to that? It certainly wouldn’t hurt to run a faster segment each week – or fartlek session (which for winter nights is quite a good way of incorporating speed work into the schedule) you just run faster and slower sections during a steady run – run faster when you feel like it, jog and recover and then run faster again. The fast segments can be as long or short, or as fast or slow as you like – it just breaks up the monotony of a steady run. You can also build in a monthly time trial – Measure a set distance (again as long or as short as you like) – and once a month run it as fast as you can
  • Options
    Thanks Grendel. I was really shattered yesterday. I think it hit me harder but not had much time to relax with a toddler as you will know yourself. Having an easy day today.

Good luck with the medication. Its hard enough getting Mol to take calpol. The antibiotics she had a few weeks ago were a nightmare. Can you not mix some juice into it give it some flavour??

Mothers. Wonderful things am going to see mine soon we are going for lunch. Will try to tell her why i look shattered but she will not listen she will blame the running.

The reason i am so tired should give you a laugh.

Went to bed when hubby had a nap at 9.00. talked and dozed until I Heard him get up to go for work thought I will have 10 more mins and get up, woke up at 1/2 one could hear a tapping noise coming from downstairs. I was convinced there was someone knocking on the chapel window. Went down put the alarm off, tried to get the dog out of bed to come with me (who pretended to be fast asleep very brave our dog). I dunno what I was expecting. Opened the door and braced myself to see someone tapping at the french doors but It was Molly's click Clack Caterpillar the batteries must be going. I didn't know if I should laugh with relief that it wasn't a mad axe murderer or cry as I was so wound up I knew I'd not get back to sleep. Then Mol woke up. So am back to square one. Was well past 2.30 when I got back to sleep.

I have to laugh now though.

Thought hubby was going to choke on his bacon sandwich he laughed so hard. Now calling the dog coward.
  • Options
    I think all sports have an element of risk with them there have been 3 hang gliding deaths at sutton bank in as many weeks i heard on the news Tues. But I don't see anyone saying we should stop it. We watched the time time trials for the mountain biking world cup last year at Ben Nevis range when we were on holiday. It looked good but the course was scary. I wouldn't do it i heard someone shattred a leg and broke a collar bone. There werea few other accidents but there were no people saying its time to ban it. It gets on my nerves. I mean look what happened to Christopher Reeve god bless him and Steve Irwin. I'd rather go doing something I enjoy.
  • Options
    it's the old saying; you are much more likely to get knocked over by a car or bus crossing the road than......

like you batmouse, i would rather go with a smile on my face having a good time.
  • Options
    A patient once departed this earth whilst ahem well you know. His wife said she didn't know about the earth moving but he could have been a bit more considerate and waited until she'd well I won't go into detail. They were a lovely couple, she was so nice. As you say I think he may have gone with a smile.
  • Options
    Did she wait for rigour mortis to set in?

sorry.
  • Options
    I’ll bet the caterpillar is sorted now!

Nathan used to have a cuddly Thomas the Tank Engine when he was littler which when you squeezed it played the Thomas Theme – He went to sleep with it one night and must have rolled on it in the middle of the night – all we could hear was the stupid thing going on and on and on and on and on! And it never woke him.
  • Options
    Embarrassing moments – When he and I were queuing to register for Nathan’s appointment he asked where Mummy was and I said she had gone to the toilet – his reply made other people in the queue laugh and me begin to squirm – Mummy hasn’t got a willy has she daddy? No I replied ladies don’t – I’ve got a willy haven’t I as I squirmed even more, what came next was even worse – you’ve got a fatter willy than me daddy haven’t you? Now I don’t go red very often but lit up the hospital reception area! Much to everyone’s amusement
  • Options
    i am grinning as i type this grendel. how embarrassing.

when i was pregnant, i tended to have a "wind" problem, shall we say. i was standing in the freezer section of asda and all of a sudden, junior tweety (then about 7) piped up and said "eurgh, have you farted?" i disappeared very quickly and left mr tweety laughing into the frozen peas.

what will kids say next eh?
  • Options
    Nathan has done that one too - mainly because if the laxatives he takes, he can be quite windy too! he, shall we say dropped one, when I was dropping him off at nursery, but announced that I had done a bottom burp! I protested my innocence, and he said well it must have been me then - but the damage was already done and I could see the they didn't believe me!