Options

Macmillan 2007 runners

Comments

• Options
    Its usually because TFL give me 2.7 seconds to get from one platform to the other otherwise i have a 20 minute wait!!!!

Such is my busy life!! Plus im a bloke and we dont do timekeeping!!! The nagging lets us know if we should be somewhere ;-)
  • Options
    How true Rich, just so long as you know your place!

Heres a thing, got in tonight to find I have a place in the Great North through the ballot. Looks like I get to wear my Macmillan colours again with pride! Last did it in 2005 so it will be nice to get 'ooop North' again. Theres just no getting away from this damned running .....
  • Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Ah, so many talents on just one forum. Amazing lives you all lead and keeping me in touch with reality. Do I want to rush from A to b, do I want to have a caring timekeeper, do I want a domestic goddess to help with the sewing? So many unanswered questions. I'm staying with the chill out session just a tad longer as no rush of offers for lucrative salary yet. Giving time to knock flat into shape, trips to IKEA, getting back into some form of normality and keeping up with you guys. Off to TKD in a mo in new suit...chuffed. Have a great evening all. (Rich what part of curry is junk food? Have I been eating incorrectly on minimum two per week for 10 years?)
  • Options
    Debs - yeah i do and i cant moan!!(its not allowed!)

Straycelt - i belive the junk element is the green salad they give you with the starter!!!!

I didnt really get the whole wearing a new suit - our club suits are black and yellow anyway so wearing the black belt suit wasnt as exciting!!! Go back on tuesday, though have to get my hip sorted first!!!

Debs - well done on the great north run - sure you will storm it as usual!
  • Options
    thought of you last night straycelt as i tucked into a cherry bakewell :-) a mr kipling delightful (lower fat version) naturally.

no junk in curry. clears your nose (spicy food makes my nose run) and makes you "go." there was a series on the tv a while ago called the nation's favourite food and there was a special about breakfasts. these two blokes in yorkshire somewhere who worked for the council went for a curry for breakfast. one was a muslin fella who wanted to introduce his workmate to his traditional breakfast.
  • Options
    straycelt; some miserable sod has written into my mum's local paper (Luton News) saying that they think it was bad people were running dressed as cakes and that they should be dressed up as something healthy like a vegetable!!!

i am composing a suitably snotty reply as i type.

boring sods. didn't see them out on sunday 22nd april on the streets of london either running or supporting. probably at home eating cakes!!!!
  • Options
    Terrible Tweety, what a horrible thing to do!
    They probably thought that Straycelt should be dressed as................ a runner bean (haha)

Oh well, I guess you can't pleased everybody.

Hard to believe it is now two weeks since the marathon. I have now forgotten all the pain. Someone asked if I would do it again and I said yes!!
    Hope all are well.
  • Options
    I suppose the lads dressed up as convicts were encoraging crime as well!

Just goes to show how little life some people have

i think straycelt you were promoting a balance lifestyle exercise and junk food! Perfect balance!!
  • Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Nice one Rich...sad lives indeed. Did the balanced bit yesterday...two hours training in the morning then went to BBQ followed by pub...oops....so hungover this morning, worst in years....might have to run the dregs out this afternoon if head stops spinning by then. Hope all had a good bank holiday weekend, ate and drank too much and enjoy today. Feel the need for a good curry....
    I sense LD will appear shortly as we get so close to the next hundred!
  • Options
    ...and as if by magic, the duck appeared. Apologies for silence (you may prefer it that way) have had a manic few days. Can't believe your post Tweety - I assume the miserable g*t in question would be willing to make a personal donation of £10k to charity in return for SC abandoning the Bakewell?
    4 lbs put on since the Marathon - anyone else finding themselves drawn to copious amounts of alcohol and junkfood or is it just me?
  • Options
    ha ha - My diet has involved numorous sausage rolls, chicken and bacon sandwichs, pizza hut and fish and chips and tonnes of cheese - no booze though - booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - flippin kidneys - really want a pint or seven!!

I still cant get over that person writing in - some people are truely pathetic - i mean - just because a giant bakewell tart runs past dont mean you suddenly have to eat seven packs a day - really got my back up!!!

Hows everyone doing anyway - enjoyed the lack of structured training!!
  • Options
    I'm trying to avoid going into junkfood overload, although did a bit at the weekend. Went into a place on Saturday with my girlfriend 7 they were offering special deals on their desserts. We had a magical chocolate fondue. A big pot of melted choc with banana, strawberry, marshmallows, doughnut pieces & choc fudgecake pieces to dip in, absolutely gorgeous & only £3. I can almost feel the calories just writing it down.
    Felt slightly better knowing I was doing the Keswick 1/2 the next day, which was sucessfully completed in a very plaesing 1:28, 40th place overall & 5th in my age group. All that marathon training obviously paying off.
  • Options
    Well done baz - great run

Im starting to eat healthily again though still not been running - physio today and had acupunture on my hip - still well locked up after marathon - feeling a bit better now - may try a gentle three miles to the gym get my legs moving again!!
  • Options
    baz - i want to know where that place was!

my mum sent me the full cutting from the paper yesterday. the letter goes on for two paragraphs! utterly ridiculous. am definitely going to write back and may be contacting the lovely straycelt (if thats ok) and his tart for some facts about your training and fundraising, just to give the letter writer a bigger kick up the arse.

i went for my first run since M day yesterday. felt really wierd. got a few funny looks out running with my foska marmite shirt on. glad to hear you are getting back to it rich. have they said how long you have to stay off the booze for?

LD - do you think the press office would have facts about how many people ran in fancy dress? i know a couple of apples (on behalf of pink lady) ran and i'm sure i saw others as well. want to add as much weight to my reply as i can.

my body must know i want to get back to exercise. i have a cold today and really sore throat. am going to see how i feel later as i was going to the gym this evening after work. no chesty cough yet so i should be ok.
  • Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Okay guys, I'll share..last year on the eve of FLM was at a charity ball and Manor Bakeries thought it would be a hoot if I ran the next day in fancy dress and wanted to buy a designer dress at an auction. I imparted my wit and wisdom regarding cross dressing on a marathon and politely declined the challenge. I was then asked what it would take to get me to run as a cake. I advised them quite a lot. We settled on a cheque for £10k and their man, Dave to run alongside me. He also raised some cash. Between us £23k and counting for ACH (Association of Children's Hospices) and of course latterly Macmillan, whom I have run for several times in the past and raised over £200k through various campaigns. Tweetie, let them have their comments, it's their life, their choice, their loss. We all do what we do for good reasons and do not improve our lot by getting upset. The silent majority think like us, which is why FLM raises £40m plus in one great event and why we can raise shed loads in all the other things we do. Meanwhile back to training 5 times per week and focus for Amsterdam, some fun and who knows, some more funds for a very worthwhile charity. That's what I call a win-win. Have a great day guys and at 796 no doubt LD is poised to pounce.
  • Options
    Tweety - It was up in the Northeast, think it was a Brewer's Fayre place. To get the deal, all you had to do was have one of their main courses or snacks. It should be £10, but is reduced to the £3. All we did was ordered a £3 sandwich to share & hey presto.
    Straycelt - you really are amazing, raising that much is an awesome achievement.
  • Options
    Straycelt - that is an amazing amount of money - well done mate

Tweety - they said three weeks but had a pint yesterday!!
  • Options
    HA HA HA HA HA

800!!!!

Sorry, so immature!!
  • Options
    just passing and thought I'd say I also did my first run since the marathon today. Felt quite strong though we only ran for thirty minutes as my mates toe was sore!
    It did feel good to get out.

Glad to read you are back to normal (almost) Rich.

• Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 900 will be mine!
    Tweety - we can contact the LM press office and find out how many they estimate ran in fancy dress (as you don't have to declare this it will be an estimate only).
    SC - I echo everyone else's comments - you are truly amazing!
    ...and on a bit of good news, that total raised thus far fro this year's Marathon has just topped £400,000 - so we're well on the way to the magic million!
  • Options
    Back from a few days away and nice to see you are all about - some great comments re the Luton News article made me laugh. Mind you, what can you expect of a Lutonian - when I was at school in Luton, I was the only one to actually run the x country course, everyone else ran to the nearest tree, had a fag and then ran back again!

Just had a very tough 10 miles on part of the South Downs route this morning, but hopefully things will get better. I have two toe nails just about hanging on by a thread now, so some proper lasting memories from FLM!

Great news on the fundraising LD - I am sure we will raise that million, and SC, you are a star - good luck with the job hunting and training.

Liking the sound of that dessert - could be Brewers Fayre for dinner tonight then.....

• Options
    i remember being at the back of the pack doing x country at school and me and a mate deciding we were nearer school, so we went back! got in trouble as they did a name check halfway round!!!

paid in another 240 squids today.

900 - not if i can help it LD!

think we should ask for payment for 1000th post. or offer a prize.
  • Options
    Just heard from the guy who tried to carry me over the finsh line - despite my team coventry city thrashing his (burnley) on the last day of the season hes given me £20. Takes me over the 3.5k mark

Good good

How is everyone - enjoying the sunshine at last!
  • Options
    Well done Rich, thats amazing. I have just this minute finished counting up my second deposit, when its all in I reckon I will be just a few quid off £3K myself, I really have been amazed by peoples generosity.

Did a lovely 10K this morning - Darenth Valley, a very pretty route, a little hilly, but a good run and a really outstanding medal, the nicest one I have ever had. It was warm again depsite an 08:30 start (on a Sunday - madness !!) - took me back to a certain morning a month ago ....
  • Options
    i still can't stop eating. aargh.
  • Options
    Same here Tweety - two pounds back on already, I am not happy about that ....
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Hey all - good to see you are all still around, and recovering / getting back at it.

Well done on some incredible sponsorship totals as well guys! Amazing.

I have also put weight on since the marathon, but I have a good excuse - I'm pregnant!! Found out the week after FLM :)

Not a great excuse for running slower than I wanted (still a bundle of cells on the big day), but added to the heat of the day - I think I am sorted!

Looks like I won't be there next year though, but have my eye set on using my GFA place the year after.

What a hoot eh?

keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Tallbird,

Hey congratulations you, what great news. (Wondering how you had the time and energy leading up to the marathon!!)

I think thats a perfectly good excuse for not getting your time. I hope you are introducing Junior to running already - take care and keep us posted.
  • Options
    Tallbird

Well done mate, congrats. I dont think that you need an excuse, your time was very quick in the conditions. Like debs says let us know how everything goes, take care.

I had some good new yesterday, went for my outpatients appointment at UCH and was given a clean bill of health. (Back to drinking WOOOO HOOOO!)

The doctor said alot of people were taken ill and it was down to the loss of salts. He thinks next year more sports drinks need to be provided if weather is going to be hot