Options

Baxters Loch Ness Marathon

Comments

• Options

I've entered Lochaber, Edinburgh and defy do loch ness again. Alloa half in march then glasgow half as well and pedal for scotland again. FLM doesn't appeal to me. I'm a lazy sod who doesn't want to travel too far!! I want to get bit more off road hill stuff training done and get into that - my sense of direction terrible so wary of wandering too far alone tho.

Mollys pic is funny - not too flattering - I keep thinking of the line "my precious" then get a shiver up my spine!! 

• Options
    We stayed in aviemore from the friday to the Monday fellrunner and I love it there. Definently makes a difference when the weather's dry.  Used to go up in March when daughter was smaller for the skiing at the lecht. It's the only place i don't mind driving about for hours on end - except for the 4 hour drive up which should only take 2 hours!!
  • Options

Karen I am doing Edinburgh, my brother has entered for his 2nd mara so it'll be out first mara together, even though he will be finished at least an hour before me!! LOL

Amber your language gets easier to understand with every thread image

Why has Molly changed her pic to 'precious'?

• Options

I may put an application in for Lochaber.  Already applied for London, so this could prove useful as backup.  On the off chance I get into both, may do both just to see what it's like!  (then do the Sheffield and Leeds 1/2 marathons in May just before Edinburgh for the icing on the cake)

• Options

Oh you are succumbing to the Edinburgh vibes aren't you Amber!

• Options

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your  'thanks',  only just got home and am now trawling through the last few days posts image  And furthermore, well done to everyone else too.

Just goes to show, if i can do it, anyone can, my first marathon (5yrs ago) was completed in 5.31, and it took me another few attempts after that just to crack 'sub 4'.

I was pleased with getting a sub 3 for the first time, but after i finished i was kicking myself for easing up in the last 10k (47 mins), sadly my wife and kids got caught up in traffic and missed my finish, so i'll now have to order the dvd.  Spent the first 9 miles amongst the first lady and her group so should be somewhere on TV when its shown.

Thoroughly enjoyed the race, a bit quiet as regards support but the scenery is stunning !

Hope to see some of you again as i didn't have chance to catch anyone pre-race, hopefully i'll be chasing a new PB at Edinburgh in 2008.

• Options

Glenmore for the whisky fellrunner!!

Well done again FA - fab time and your kids will be proud now. I actually preferred the quietness with no crowds with the loch ness.  

• Options

Shades thanks for the advice.  LN was only my second 26.2 and I know I've a lot to learn.  I need to train more and work more on the mental aspects of the race particularly the last 5 miles.  I was averaging about 8:22 per mile for the first 16 miles and then clocked: Mile 16 8:47,  17 8:55, 18 9:45, 19 9:31, 20 8:35, 21 10:03 (that hill really hurt!), 22 9:23, 23 9:55, 24 9:54, 25 10:18, 26 10:09.  After the hill at 21 I never managed to recover my pace.

Amber you know you want to do Edinburgh!  This marathon thing is certainly addictive.

• Options

Remember that Channel 5 are showing the Loch Ness marathon highlights tonight at 12:10am.  Going to stay up and watch it on the off chance I did get filmed from the helicoptor at the start!

• Options
    The Channel 5 show has various reported times, I've seen midnight, best check before setting your recorders!
  • Options
    Did my 15 mile bimble today which normally takes me around 2.30 as a few miles off road but did it in 2.10 today!!  Feeling as fit as a fiddle today with no aches and pains and got me new trainers well muddy. Uphills a dawdle too - slap a number on me tho and it goes pete tong!!
  • Options
    Just did 5.77 miles in 46:32 included 1.5 miles of trail and a killer hill.  This is 2:30 quicker than 2 weeks ago.  Conclusion running marathons is good training!
  • Options

Athletics action from the Loch Ness marathon as the world's greatest distance athletes join thousands of fun runners in the spectacular surroundings of Scotland's most famous loch - haha copied this from the prog details - what are we - greatest distance athletes or fun runners??

Yup dcb marathon running is good training - i'm gonna start doing over the marathon distance for my big friday training runs and see how i go.    

• Options

so are we fun-runners then??...i was getting quite chuffed being called an athlete last sunday too!!!image

dcb-i agree as i was running pretty fast yesterday too!-dont know whether it was the weeks rest or being used to longer runs....just felt towards the end tho that im not quite recovered in places.

karen 15 miles???  -brill!!!!......im no way ready for that yet!

i have my video recorder ready  for tongiht .....will try and stay up tho!... wonder if i have been filmed ?there i'd be in the toilet que with bungee (shivering wreck).....or perhaps gabbeling to soph at the start(shivering wreck) or coming into the finish(shivering wreck) with a john wayne walk..im not quite sure what happens to me on race days!?image

• Options

Going to pop out tomorrow morning for my first run since the marathon.  Will try for 5 miles or so and build up again through the week.  Looking at a doing half marathon in a couple of weeks if I feel up for it.

Also going to alter my training a bit to take into account any problems I had at Loch Ness as I can now see areas that need improvement.

Must admit, after working this weekend, my legs feel more tired than after running the marathon......although could be due to the excessive amounts of rubbish I've eaten this week as well - sure I've put on a couple of pounds, but that will soon go......

• Options

Well done Flying Ant.

Watched the race last night on Channel 5 and saw you at a drinks station, cracking time as well.

• Options

I did DVD it last night

(haven't watched it yet - we only had one club member running this year)

so if anyone wants a copy, please email me..

• Options
    I enjoyed the programme.  Good to know what was going on out front.  A bit of a shame they did not give a bit more coverage to us amateur athletes (I agree not "fun runners" although it was fun!).
  • Options

Well said Fellrunner.

Had a great weekend up at Glenmore lodge Ran up Cairngorm on sat and Aviemore half Sun loved it, I confirmed that the site is open all year round now so might see you their Xmas week.

• Options
    Thought the programme was pretty good last night.

Spotted myself a few times - at the beggining and running near the leading lady more than once. Sadly none of my club mates got a look in.

It's weird seeing yourself on tv, I've never seen myself run before and it's quite a surreal experience, I must say that I looked very relaxed, laid back and didn't appear to be putting much effort in which is strange as I felt like I gave it 100%. Luckily there was no footage of me later on when I was breathing oot my @rse.
  • Options

Shame they didn't film more of the normal runners, or at least leave it in - must remember to stand near the front/middle in future if cameras are about!

Did see myself for less than a second during the interview with the
    Erskine men....I walked past from left to right wearing my blue shirt, camel trousers, red top and my old running shoes!

Sure I spotted myself in some of the crowd footage after the start but not overly clear from the overhead shot.........shame I didn't come in around 3h55 as a few people got filmed finishing around then.

Nice to see the route from a different perspective.  The finish still needs improving to be honest - weird running along a road, turning sharply through a gate and running over a bit of grass to the track.  Zac certainly did beat everyone hands down what with his 1.5 mile or so lead!

• Options
    Saw the race coverage - looked a good one. Is it a hard course say, compared to London which is pretty flat ?
  • Options
    My gun time was 3:55:14 but I did not see myself in the background of those closing shots even though the clock read 3:55.  Will have to go back and look again at the exact time on the video.  Must have missed being shown finishing by only a few seconds.  Perhaps just as well given how I felt!
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

No Cougie, it's a gentle downhill the whole way.

• Options
    Hmmmmmmm.  Methinks someone could be luring me into a false sense of security there ?
  • Options

Cougie,

The course is "undulating" to say the least. It flattens out along the loch, but there are still a lot of hills. Click here to see the profile. The scenery, as you'd expect, is stunning and the race itself is well organised. Well worth considering for next year!