Options

Baxters Loch Ness Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I'm a member of Wootton Road Runners club so I should have a guaranteed place??

Can I confirm this anywhere?

Thanks for all the help.
  • Options
    Hi all again !! gluttons for punishment or what. I haven't entered yet, SAF or L menbers have till 01 Sep I believe.

I'll be doing 2 marathons this year. Vienna in the spring, and of course Loch Ness. My 4th. Under 4hrs this year .. for sure !!

I will not be doing the Glasgow womens or half cos I believe they are a complete rip off. OK if they are the only races you do all year .. but not if your cheque book is just another way of keeping track of the races you've entered !! am I ranting.. sorry
  • Options
    Rant away Karie!

I agree they are expensive but to me both races are a bit of a 'tradition'. I put an early entry in for the 2 races at the same time and that saves me a bit (not entirely sure exactly how much though!).

I'm so far doing two marathons this year too - although I'm thinking about doing Edinburgh as well as it's about 5 - 6 weeks after London - but that *is* expensive...
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I've done the Glasgow half every year since I started running, so I just can't see me not doing it. But yes, it's pretty expensive (especially when you add in a tank of fuel and an overnight stay).

I'll watch out for you at Loch Ness Karie - that's a bit of a tradition too now! :O)
  • Options
    Hi Everyone, my first posting on the site, both me & my wife have recently started running and we've now applied and paid for the Loch Ness Mara' we were wondering what our chances are of us both getting in on our first application? (we both failed to secure London which I wasn't surprised at.) Very grateful for any replies. Best wishes!
  • Options
    Oh I reckon good on 99.9% chance. if you don't get in.. join the SAF members have a guaranteed entry.

Has anyone started thier spring mara training? I fear I am lagging way behind where I should be. My farthest so far is 8.5 miles and my 5k times are down by about 2 mins on this time last year. Uphill struggle for me I think, but on the plus side, no over train injuries to worry about !!
  • Options
    Karie, I'm 5 weeks in to my training schedule although I did miss the first two weeks. I was on for 11 miles on Sunday but cut it half a mile short - got too pi$$ed off fighting against the wind! Meant to do 12m this Sunday but will have to do it after my early shift on Monday (not ideal) but I'm working all weekend.

But I'm sloooooow!!

When's Vienna Karie?
  • Options
    RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    I didn't do my planned run today cos of the wind here in London - I ran against it last Thursday and it nearly killed me LOL!

Going to go out for a short trot tomorrow and then 11m LSR on Saturday hopefully.

Don't worry Debstir - am slow too! I'm sure things will get better as training goes on...............
  • Options
    Thanks fellrunner, it's nice to know I'm guaranteed to get in as it means I can actually start planing the trip !
  • Options
    Debs, Vienna is April 29th. I have no idea what the route is like.
    Managed 8 miles tonight and will go out 2 short runs tomorrow. This weekend my mara plan has me doing 13. Oh dear looks like a painful Sat morning for me. I'm not putting in the weekly mileage though so need to up that for a start.

Nessie, Loch Ness wouldn't be the same if we didn't bump into each other.
  • Options
    Karie, I know what you mean! I should be doing 6 this afternoon and can't be gassed! Should actually have done it yesterday but had a x-country race so will do it today. Sitting trying to plan an easy, flat 6 miler - I think I deserve it after yesterday!

I've just sent off my membership renewal for SAL so will enter Loch Ness when I get my new number through. Still keeping an eye on the Travelodge site too!
  • Options
    RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Debstir - let me know if you see any deals for Travelodge - will keep my eye open too!
  • Options
    I've just applied for this.

Doing Paris as my first marathon in April and this looked too good to miss for an autumn one.

Do UK Athletics clubs/members get guaranted entry? I'm in an English club.

• Options
    If you are affilited to UK Athletics or Scottishathletics (SAL) you get a guaranteed entry.

I believe UKA & SAL work slightly different - am I right in thinking that if you are a member of an affilited running club in England you are then yourself affilited to UKA? I know in Scotland even if you are a member of an affiliated club, you personally have to join SAL to be affiliated to SAL! Seems a bit bonkers and it costs more money (£15 club fees and £15 SAL fees) but at least I've got the option of a guaranteed entry to Edinburgh marathon for a couple more months if I decide to do it too (ballot places closed in December)
  • Options
    Done ok over the weekend, well for my lazy mara training anyway.. 11 miles Sat and 4.3 tonight, I'm well on my way to being only half fit!!
    Vienna I want under 4, Loch ness I will greet for days if I don't, I think this will be my 5th time trying...

I was thinking of trying to get one of those hotels on the river bank this year .. anyone .. NESSIE.. know the name of that street or a particular nice B&B or Hotel right on the river?

Who is doing Inverness half?
    Who is opting for Alloa?
    I'm thinking Alloa, about 2 hours less
    driving. I believe there is a half in Livingston around the same time?
  • Options
    I'm doing Inverness half but not so sure about Alloa. It is one of our club's championship races but I'm meant to be doing a 20 miler that day. I suppose I could park 3.5m away and jog to the start then jog 3.5m once I've finished. Not ideal but it could work...? (thanks to running bhoy for that idea!).

I also think I'm working that day too, will nedd to double check. If I am then that'll be my mind made up for me :-(
  • Options
    Oh and Karie, I'm sure that's Ness Walk you're talking about (but not 100% sure...)
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    There's Ness Walk, which is on the same side of the river as the finish. There are also B&Bs and hotels on the other side, which is Ness Bank.

Being local, I've never stayed in any of them, but the Glen Mhor did a nice Christmas lunch.

I'm doing the Inverness half too.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think I may venture north of the border to do this race again.
  • Options
    The Travelodge 'Inverness Fairways' has it's Saver Rooms offer on just now, £26 per night, pre-payable, non-refundable. I stayed at the other one last year so don't know how far it is from the start or what amenities it has near it. Something else Nessie may be able to shed some light on?! ;-)
  • Options
    RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Debstir - according to their website, Fairways is closer to Inverness by half a mile.............

Would like to know however if there is a supermarket nearby for supplies!

The golf club restaurant is next to the hotel so that may be a venue for the Monday morning fry up although I think the garden centre may be hard to beat.
  • Options
    I think it take slonger by car to get to the start, although I'm not sure and I don't think it would be much longer anyway.

Supermarket would be good, we nipped in to the big Tesco on the Saturday night for bits 'n' bobs.

Garden centre breakfast was indeed excellent! I think Santababy stayed at the Fairways Travelodge last year, will maybe get in touch with her and see what's there.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    The Fairways Travelodge is about a mile and a half from the "Wee Tesco" and there's not much in it time-wise getting to the start from there or from Stoneyfield.

I haven't eaten at the golf club restaurant for ages, but it used to be pretty good.

Other than that, there is very little close to the Fairways place - unless you fancy 10-pin bowling as a warm up...........
  • Options
    Thanks Nessie. I don't suppose it really matters if you're just looking for somewhere to base yourself for the weekend. And Stoneyfield was right on a busy road too, which would have been no good if you were a light sleeper (we had a room at the other side). Fairways looks a bit quieter.

Brekkie will be in-room on Sunday morning and by Monday morning I'll need help to move anywhere anyway, so won't be venturing out too far!
  • Options
    Hiya SB! You booked Fairways yet?

;-)
  • Options
    Hiya SB!

I've booked Fairways for the Sat and Sun nights!
  • Options
    Everything I have read about this mara sounds great. I was planning on doing The Edinburgh one (my first) then deciding if I want to go for a 2nd one this year. BUT am I right in thinking if I wait till beginning of June to book a room for the weekend I may find it hard to get somewhere nearish to the start?