Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

One Gear - Yes, I'm just grateful to be fit and able to run.
    OOlg - 6:15 am - good time to finish a runimage
    I was a late-comer to running at 40 and didn't become a regular until the age of 43. Now 46 and still reckon I have a few years of improvement to go. Just did 12 slow miles to round off the week (41 miles).

• Options

x-post - DS2 enjoy the 15 miler.

And good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

• Options
    Bit parky for a 15 miler this morning, good luck.

Gul are you saying you have finished 12m already today and it's not even 0700??

So, lie in and another pot of coffee, or parkrun in the mud? Hmm
  • Options
    LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Just having tea and toast and then it's a 12 miler for me - well done Gul for having already done yours!

Inspiring stuff with the sub 3 at V50 talk. I'll be happy with a sub 3.15 at 42!!!
  • Options

I'll be happy to still be running at 50 I think. 

Muddy parkrun it is for me this morning. Hoping for half marathon pace, but it's a slow course at the best of times and my fitness is, well, not there! I managed MP for the XC last weekend and may have to settle for that again this morning. Early mornings don't work well for me either. 

• Options
    Well if you're getting all muddy then I will too. It's going to be like the Somme, bah, HM pace at best.
  • Options

Welcome to LB70 and One Gear.

Not much decent running going on from me.  Struggled to 32miles so far this week and decided to rest Saturday and will be all day on the plane to Japan on Sunday.  Anyway I only want to 30-40 miles pw  in Nov and December but they should be a lot more comfortable than they are.   I'll see how it goes next week, otherwise a visit to the Physio is due

Respect on the GUCR Poacher

• Options

Age and experience beats youth and enthusiasm? most can recognise both sides of that statement from personal experience. My first marathon was at 42 - If i had run my first race at 21 and trained properly I would probably be at least a minute a mile faster, but it didnt happen for a reason, which was that I was a youth and had far more important things to do than bash 55-70 miles a week out on a road in the cold and dark and wet. Hold on......image

Still base building upto 30-40 and going to try and get to double figures this afternoon before I watch the Hengerloo beat the aussies!!

• Options
    8 miles today which is the furthest I have managed in a while. Had to call it a day then as the last two started to hurt. Was hoping to be running over 10 by the end of Nov. but doubts are starting to creep in.

Managed to scrape 30 for the week
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Surprisingly warm out there.15 miles in 2.03. Quite happy with that. First run over 10 since May.

Very impressed with the early starts. Nice to get out of way. Mates and families round for rugby and drinks later. Could be a heavy one. Short recovery run tomorrow for all sorts of reasons.
  • Options

I'm afraid I didn't get out until 4:47am this morning and finished my 12 miler just before 6:30. Good to see all the base-building going on. Enjoy the mud Poacher and Speedy.

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

That's just nuts Gul!

Judging by this morings posts, one reason experience triumphs over youth is the oldies can get up and out early on. Just for the record, I'll be out around midday image

• Options

I didn't leave until 8.25am, but then again I was running to parkrun, parkrunning and running into work (and before posting I've had my nuked porridge and a shower).  21.10 for the hilly Ashton Court course, with the usual wonky splits:7.39, 7.10, 5.49, 32s.  I was running blind (only distance showing on the Garmin) and forced myself to not even look at the mile splits as they were recorded. 

• Options

Nice self dicsipline Jools which I dont possess as I have just mapped todays run which is to pick up my car that I left in the pub last nightimage Plan to run to HR for the first time but the morning after several pints of timothy taylor whilst watching the disintegration of my national team I dont think I will learn much from it (other than 6 pints of TT is not good pre run prep).

• Options

Well, it certainly was muddy, and puddlesome to boot. I did manage HM PB pace, just, despite stopping to retie my shoelace in the first mile (they always come undone when they get sopping wet, don't know why). However, the effort level was certainly not HM. I maybe could have managed one more kilometre at that pace. I have a hilly HM in three weeks time. Methinks marathon PB pace is the absolute best I can hope for. 

Despite having been up early, I must still be 'young' as I find it a real challenge! 

Mennania - good luck with that. image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Some nice Saturday morning running going on.

OO - I definitely won't be there tomorrow. The lurgy has got a hold and my cough has progressed onto my chest. Typical when the weather is so nice. I'll give running a miss for a couple of days but might hit the turbo if I feel up to it.
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Gul - impressive stuff indeed. One of my daughters woke me at 4:30 because she'd had a nightmare. I did think about staying up and putting the kit on and doing my 15 miles then. Chickened out and went back to bed for a couple of hours!

Keir - are you trying to pretend that you are still a youngster? Suppose it's all relative - against a lot of us on here, I guess you are!

Jools/Speedy - good efforts in the mud. I must find out where my nearest Park run is. Is there a website? List somewhere?

Also-ran - self doubt is just part of being a successful distance runner!!

• Options
    Well, a very quiet week for me - still nursing the foot which doesn't seem to be getting any better image so another (!) zero week. It's the final Preston Guild series race tomorrow (10miles) so I'm going to pop along and run it steady. Then I'm going to hang up my trainers for a while and start a structured bike programme for over the winter (or until my foot recovers).

Keep at it folks and enjoy the base building

Minni, get well soon
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Look after yourself Minni

Nice running Gul, AR, Joolska, Speedy, DS

Nice drinking Mennania

It was mud galore at Marple parkrun, very slidey (is that a word?). Youth v experience smackdown emerged as I ran all the way trading places with a 14yo boy, I assumed he would outsprint me but in the end I outlasted him over the final 500m, for a PW of 19.48 and 2nd place.

XC spikes would be the only way to cope with this course, any recommendations? What length of spike am I looking for? Or are they always interchangeable? Thoughts welcome.
  • Options

'Standard' spikes are 9mm and in my very limited XC experience have generally sufficed.  The other weekend I bought myself some 12mm and 15mm spikes and as I understand it, the muddier the course, the longer the spike.  Spikes are also useful on compacted snow image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

never mind Mimmi- get better soon.

• Options

Get well soon Minni

Some nice races and running going on at the moment. Still dry here but it does occasionally get cold.

Struggling to motivate myself to get out at the moment, but once out I enjoy it. Strange couple of weeks. The plan was 30 last week, with 35 this, as a base build up. I ran 38 last week and will be over 40 this. Going to keep it below 45 until mid December. Nothing quick either.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good going Scooby, I'm down this week but it's a race week so happy to scrape mid 30's. Race prediction tomorrow is 61, but let's see. 

• Options

Bit of a first for me this morning - not heading out for a run until just after 9am!! Needed to drop younger Lorenzito off at 7.30am so he could head up to Stoke for a XC run and decided to wait until getting back before heading out for a reasonably relaxed but still quite muddy 7 miles. Not going mad this weekend as I've got another volleyball match tomorrow and then I'm a year older on Monday and I'm not sure what effect turning 45 will have on me!

Sneaked out for 5 Welsh miles yesterday morning as I had the pleasure of an overnight stay in Llanelli.

Get well soon Minni.

• Options

I have to say I don't know how Gul manages this.  I'm sitting here bleary-eyed with a cup of tea and a piece of toast, about to head off to the station to catch a train to Bath so that I can run from Bath to Bristol.  'Doing something different' for my long run seemed such a good idea last night.  And the worst thing of all is Gul will probably finish his run as I arrive in Bath!

• Options
    Poacher wrote (see)
    XC spikes would be the only way to cope with this course, any recommendations? What length of spike am I looking for? Or are they always interchangeable? Thoughts welcome.

As Jools says, you can unscrew and swap in different lengths. There are two other factors to think about:
    1) The spike show itself will have some sort of grip pattern and the depth of this and position of the spike holes is important. I have had spikes where a 7mm spike does not even touch the ground and others where the same 7 seems like a hedgehog.
    2) The metal spikes wear down pretty quickly so I tend to buy them long and use worn down ones when I want a shorter set. It seems silly buying 7mm spikes and throwing them out when they are 5mm when you can buy 9m and use them as 9s and 7s when worn down.

Agree snow is good in spikes, did a parkrun on very compact snow/ice in spikes and beat a lot of fast people in trainers and studs.

Joolska wrote (see)

'Doing something different' for my long run seemed such a good idea last night.

Am taking my cycle time to research new long runs but they are scary. I have a new 22 mile long run in London which links up two branches of the Grand Union Canal to make a loop but looks like it is going to take me 2 hours on the bike to complete (I have done bits from both ends, just need to join the middle now). My home is about 27 miles form the office, I never really think in terms that my long runs would almost get me home.

• Options

Nice muddy parkrunning Speedy and Poacher.
    Take care Minni.
    Good luck to OOlg today. And take it steady SJ.
    Jools - Being up early means turning in early too. I went to bed at 9:15 last night and had a lie-in till 7am. Rest day for me too. Beautiful sunny day for a run unless you're heading east.
    All being well, my Dad should be coming home tomorrow - everything is now in place.

• Options

It was a beautiful morning for a run, Gul (glad things are sorted about your dad): ended up with 16M at 8.04m/m, starting with a 8.57m/m (it was cold...) and winding up around 7.30m/m for the last 5M.  I only with I'd taken my camera because the frost was absolutely stunning, with clear blue skies to boot (the camera on my phone is a bit rubbish, so there's little point using it for anything other than snaps).

Meant to say yesterday: recover soon, Minni.