Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Anyone know if dogs are allowed onto the race course on the day of the marathon?

• Options

Just found out they are. Maybe I'll bring him along, he loves chasing runners.

• Options

If it's a big bugger, that can do 8 minute miles, can you get him to chase me?

• Options

Sorry - he's just a scruffy little mutt who will try and lick your legs...which I guess would keep you moving alright...but he's not very good at keeping an even pace.

• Options

I don't like treadmills, but they're probably good for learning how to keep an even pace.

You've got two weeks.

• Options

Ok, I'll work on it. Could be interesting when he stops for a poop on the treadmill.

My race pack arrived today.

• Options

My postman's just been and gone.  I feel like running after him and asking him to check his bag.

• Options

Hello..just peeping in here and saw that race packs are arriving. V excited now to go home and check the post. Running home from work first...pondering distance.

• Options

Any top tips of where to park if I don't make it to the race course by 8am?

• Options

Did a half-marathon on the treadmill today in just under 1:52.

Despite being somewhat tired from 'burning the midnight oil',  I wanted to test myself a bit.  So, I put my foot down a little more than recently.

Although being a training run, this ended up being my fastest half-marathon for four-and-a-half years.   It wasn't a total breeze, but generally it was absolutely fine and I had plenty left at the end.   

I should now be buzzing with confidence about taking on my 4:13 PB at Chester, but for some reason I've none whatsoever!

It didn't help that my race number (2160) arrived - gulp!

• Options
    Tim of MK wrote (see)

It wasn't a total breeze, but generally it was absolutely fine and I had plenty left at the end.   

Not sure why you wouldn't be confident after that....and remember that we're in the middle of a taper!

• Options

Not sure that I really understand 'tapers'.    Seems that this week, I've just been running faster and faster.

• Options

Must say... my taper doesn't start until Monday morning. 

• Options

19mile run at approx marathon pacing pace for 4hours 45 - now its taper taper taper . Mr MK Tim tapering is about easing back on distance , keep some intensity. Remember you can't add much now , but you can certainly blow it. Take care and enjoy image image

• Options

Evening all, anyone know high street stockists of the Lucozade Elite Citrus Gel being offered on the course?

Like to try a couple on run this weekend.

Sweatshop, Runners Need, Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys, none of their sites have them listed.

• Options

Hi all - just over 2 weeks to go - my number had arrived and I'm getting excited and nervous as my first one.

Also, my hip starting feeling week on a short run on Wed so I haven't run since. Plus had my 1st sports massage yesterday - not as painful as it could have been.

I was planning on a 13 miler this weekend but think I'll try for 10 easy miles tomorrow. Can anyone tell me if that sounds sensible?

• Options

I'm planning on a sllooww 16 mile amble, nothing too energetic at this stage.

Typical of the number arriving (1362) and the realisation the race is fast approaching I've also picked up a lovely cold so 16 miles could turn to 10, anything just to keep the legs turning.

Ed, think either distance is fine, if the hip is OK try running the last 25% of your distance at marathon pace.

• Options

Hi Jez,

I posted this on 13th Sept...and they arrived about  3  days later (ahead of their promise).   But they did have options to pay for quicker delivery. 

I just ordered some of those Lucozade gels from dolphinfitness.co.uk.

I've never used them before, so can't vouch for them... but they are only 90p each, with a free delivery option if (like me) you can wait until next Thursday for delivery.  So I've only risked 270p for three !!

As far as I can see, on Amazon, 3 gels cost 718p once you add delivery.

• Options

thanks runny nice to know

• Options

I've been using the lucozade gels for the last couple of weeks and they're not bad at all, a bit of a tangy taste but I like them. Don't think i'll bother carrying anything during the race, im just gonna rely on the handouts.

16 miles for me today, my legs felt really sluggish at the start but eventually I got going, finished with 7 miles @mp.

Still not feeling any benefit of tapering though, im hoping I'll feel a bit better next week image 

• Options

I think Boots do the new Lucozade gels ... I used to use the old style ones and then made the fatal mistake of switching to the new ones for the first time during the Sandstone Trail ... big mistake as the new ones don't agree with me one bit. image.

Now using SiS, so will be carrying my own supply.

Planning on gentle 12/13 tomorrow morning, and hoping legs start to free up a bit as been pretty tight over last coupl of weeks (to be expected at this stage).

Also got my number (1657) through last week, so all set now.

15W, last year I parked in the Law Courts car park and when I got there about 8am there was still loads of spaces.  They are directly opposite the big hotel right by the racecourse, you just go round the roundabout and come back as if you are elaving Chester again and then swing in through the mini Brandenburg Gates

• Options

My number went in a drawer. I think I am in denial. However the drawer keeps opening and I keep sneaking a look......

last long run this morning and then time to ease down. Lots of friends doing the Yorkshire one so really glad mine is out of the way first image 

this time in 2 weeks..........

• Options

I got some of the Lucozade Sport Elite drink in Sainsbury's but I couldn't find any gels. I am  going to try it out tomorrow, looking at 18 along the greenway.

• Options
    My race pack has arrived too, I think it's fab that the number has my name on image

Must take the right race pack to my local 10k this afternoon. Stiff legs though, time for some stretching...
  • Options

I'm thinking of four runs this week - 5 miles, 5 miles, 10 miles, 4 miles.

Is this enough?   Too much?

I've always just 'winged' marathons before, so trainng to a schedule has been a new experience.

And I've never tapered, so genuinely know little about the rights and wrongs.

• Options

Tim, I think the general thought this week is to do about half of your biggest week.

So if your biggest mileage mileage week was 50 miles in the build up you'd be looking at doing about 25 this week. 

The final week I really don't think you can do too little, my best marathon came after 10 days of complete rest after I'd been ill.