Options

Manchester Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    No number yet. We're still a few weeks out.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Squeezed in a 6 this morning (6.2 actually). Mild and a bit rainy but I enjoyed it. Some niggles. Calves are still tight. ITB got tight at one point and made my knee complain. Guess I need to roll that sucker out. Concentrated on light feet and good posture and my hip behaved itself. There is a tender spot when I prod my groin - one of the tendons in there, not sure which. But I was able to run pretty well. I started slow and ended at 4:15MP (my desired pace although due to all my woes, Manchester is going to be too soon for me to manage that).
    Got overtaken by a woman wearing a Hulk onesie at one point. Not sure what was going on there...
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you might have to pull out sol after all the training.

No number here ropeladder. I think it says should be with us by 23rd so hopefully will come next week.

Thanks to my illness, which turned out to be Pharyngitis (self diagnosed), I had five days of no running at all so missed my 20 mile race. I didn't sleep very well during the worst of it and, once I was over that, my youngest son decided that would be a good time to have a couple of nights of waking us up constantly all night, which hasn't exactly helped. Work has been really busy this week as well. To be honest, I have felt like a zombie. Have run twice this week now and have had no choice but to take it easy in both. They've felt OK but have really wiped me out afterwards. Feeling better every day though and sleep is improving so after a rest day today I'm hoping I'll be approaching decent fitness again. I'm really concentrating on trying to get as much sleep as I can and keeping my diet really healthy.

So annoying to have this come at such a crucial time in the training and especially so that I had to miss a 20, one that I was going to use as a real fitness test and was hopeful of giving me a confidence boost. Fingers crossed this Sunday's 20 will go well (snow is forecast!).

I've got 3.5 weeks to get back in the right mindset. It's amazing how easily my confidence can be knocked by stuff like this. It only takes 3 or more days out and I feel like I'm drastically losing fitness. I know objectively that isn't true but I do have a hard time convincing myself. The plan has down 10 miles with some 3/4 mile sections at HMP for Friday. If that feels OK, it should help me mentally.
  • Options

Sol hope you don't have to pull out being so close, good luck with a speedy recovery.

Cotswold I only have to have a rest day and I start thinking I'm losing my fitness, if I have two rest days it feels like I've not done anything for weeks.  Hope the 10 miles goes to plan and the snow isn't too heavy for the weekend.

Cal, hope you use your foam roller! I've got one and some prickley balls... can't remember the last time I used them and I know I should.

On Manchester Marathon website anyone that's entered by 19th March will have their numbers posted to them, reading between the line spose they will all be out from 19th?  Look forward to reading their race day tips how not to try anything new on race day, then on the opposite page probably promoting the gels on course that you cant seem to buy?

Monday small core gym session

Tuesday rest day and massage

Wednesday 6 miles to shake off massage

Today 10 miles steady, legs are feeling tired but only a few days till taper magic happens.

tomorrow 6 miles middle 4 at MP

Saturday either rest or about 7 miles incorporating a slow parkrun

sunday 20 miler (may cut down to 18).

No snow forecast here just 0 degrees.

• Options
    I am pretty sure my training is done now.

I picked up a thigh strain on Sunday, rested all week till tonight but only managed 5 miles before having to walk back as it was too sore.

I was planning one last 20 miler on Sunday but that’s not looking likely.

Just have to try and get to the start line and get round now.
  • Options
    It's not sounding too good on here all of a sudden.  Hope it all comes together for people.

I've been training pretty well although hit a bit of a rough patch the last few days just with shattered legs rather than injury.  Hopefully they'll pick up, but really slowing me at the moment.  
    The rearranged Newport HM for me on Sunday - sounds like it will be arctic again.
    Also confused by the gel situation robert.  Really disappointing - the communication seems not to be there.
  • Options
    Just found this on the manchester marathon facebook page, so due thanks to Leigh Turner who posted it.  Note that they are designed to be taken with water.   This is a really stupid move by the organisers and the manufacturer.   I can only believe that bad press will follow.

The gels provide will be from a partner brand Nutramino.
    Nutramino Carbo Energy Gel 45 g – with 23g carbs
    Plus Nutramino Carbo Energy Gel with Caffeine – 45g - 23g carbs + 50mg caffeine

Nutramino Carbo Energy Gel 45 g

Nutramino Carbo Energy Gel is specially designed to help you maintain the performance during high-intensity or prolonged endurance training as well as help maintain hydration by increasing the absorption of water
    Perfect for you who practice endurance sports such as triathlon, marathon, extreme and adventure sports

Nutramino Carbo Energy Gel gives you 23 g of carbohydrate in a 2: 1 mixture of maltodex steps: fructose and a carefully balanced balance of 4 electrolytes that, together with the carbohydrate content, can improve the absorption of water during exercise
    Easy to take, open and take during exercise.
    No artificial dyes or sweeteners. Suitable for vegetarians
    Application
    Before and during high-intensity sports and endurance training
    Consume 1 gel every 15-30 minutes during intensive endurance training. Water should be taken in conjunction with gel. Recommended daily dose: 2-4 gels per hour during intensive endurance training. Daily dose should not be exceeded
    Highlights
    2: 1 maltodextrin: fructose formula
    23 g carbohydrates
    4 electrolytes
    Only natural flavours
    Ingredients
    Water, maltodextrin, fructose syrup, acid: citric acid (E330), electrolytes: sodium chloride, potassium chloride, calcium lactate, magnesium carbonate; stabilizer: xanthan gum (E415), aroma, preservatives: potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate
    Nutritional content per 45g (1 gel)
    Energy 91kcal / 387kJ
    Fat: 0g
    - Of which saturated fatty acids: 0g
    Carbohydrate: 23g
    - Of which sugars: 8,6g
    Fiber: 0g
    Protein: 0g
    Salt: 0.13g
    Electrolytes
    Sodium: 90mg
    Potassium: 12mg
    Chloride: 90mg
    Calcium: 2.7mg
    Magnesium: 2.7mg

• Options
    Seems like everyone on this thread is having a bit of a nightmare. I haven't ran since Sunday due to coming down with a cold/flu thingy. Been warned to wait for it to go away before running again so may end up with a 8/9 day break, not good for either my fitness or my fragile confidence. I've come to far to let it get me down so must stay positive.
  • Options
    Yes, fair bit of misery and woe here now! Definitely best to wait Colin, although easier said than done. General rule is wait until you feel ready to run and then give it one more day. Pays off in the long run. 

Hope the thigh improves zippy, plenty of time for it to recover, although of course always disappointing to miss training runs, especially the long run.

Sounds like you're in good shape to me Northender. Knackered legs are to be expected right now!

My legs are also feeling quite knackered despite last week's imposed rest. I thought they'd be reasonably fresh but wonder if it's down to lack of stretching and foam rolling which I have been neglecting. Today's 10 miles with 4 X 1200 at HMP, didn't feel that easy and I was flagging again at the end. I feel fine but my legs are just heavy, with sore quads. Got until Sunday morning to get them recovered for 20 miles. Can't say I'm looking forward to it but just got to get it done.
  • Options

Pre taper terrors cracks are appearing all over the place, those injured or unwell keep the faith, most of the training is already in the legs and banked and now just a case of getting to the start line in the best shape possible without forcing anything.

In the same boat as cotswold and northender my legs are tired and heavy, just done 6 miles with middle 4 at MP (8.20) and felt a bit more forced that I'd like but not worried after running 450 miles so far this year.

The gels are a worry!!!  A little more digging but with no luck, no one in the UK seems to stock the gels, dolphinfitness stock other products but not the gels.

• Options
    RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    Am off on my last 20 miler in an hour, weather is looking good here in sunny Suffolk although it's not looking good for the weekend, so glad I'm getting my long run in today, not sure I will be up for my local park run tomorrow which is a bit of a bummer but the long run has to come first. Few easy runs next week, a pilates session, massage on Thursday, then Colchester half on Sunday, looking forward to it but not going to push to hard for obvious reasons. Then off to Montenegro for a week with the family so will try and get some runs in and some swimming. Can't believe how soon Manchester is, it certainly has crept up! Really can't wait although I'm not looking forward to the last 6 miles, be interesting to see how I cope, especially with it being my first marathon. Good luck with the last 3 weeks everyone, hope it all goes to plan as best it can.
  • Options
    Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I received my race number in the post today. That's all it is, really, plus a tiny folded paper with very basic information. Nothing about gels at all. 
  • Options

Is the electronic chip in the bib?

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Got my number today. Hardly any info with it so no idea what is happening with the gels.

Looks like many on here are struggling a bit with niggles. Really hope things improve in the next few weeks so that we can all get to the start line!

• Options
    Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭

Is the electronic chip in the bib?

Yup
  • Options

Figures, I won a competition on twitter by Manchester Marathon for a free place (which I gave away as had already entered) and some magnetic race pins for your number.  It says on the instructions not to be used with bibs with timing chip in (I have used it at Cambridge and was fine). 

• Options
    RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    Went out for my final 20 miler before Manchester and had to stop after doing 7k ??? been training since September and had no trouble, felt tightness in my right calf muscle so had to stop, absolutely gutted, little worried as Manchester is only 3 weeks away, booked in for sports massage Tuesday and hoping resting until then will fix things??? Reading that it’s a calf strain?

Any tips or suggested would very much be appreciated!
  • Options
    Got my 20 mile coming up on Monday, hopefully the weather will improve - its snowing at the moment! Heavy snow a few weeks ago meant I did 14 miles on my treadmill, not an experience I'm keen to repeat!! Had an awful 16 miler last week, left me pretty low mentally so fingers crossed for a positive last long run.

Rob Frost - I had awful calf trouble last year while training for London, sports massage worked wonders plus loads of extra stretching, foam rolling and injury prevention exercises. Hope you get it sorted.
  • Options
    RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    Heidi - I'm hoping it's not as serious as I'm thinking and just going to rest it for a few days, good excuse to use my foam roller for the first time the wife got me a while back!
  • Options
    Rob, can't offer any specific advice but loads of time to recover if you let it. Hard training is banked now so don't push it. Also, foam roll the shit out of it. That's what I do whenever I feel a niggle anywhere and, touch wood, it's always worked for me.

Pleased to report I got my 20 done this morning. I was really moping around last night getting my kit together, not wanting to do it but then saw on facebook that a few people from my club were doing a long run at about my pace and that seemed to flip a switch. I went from really worrying to knowing it would be fine. I find those long runs are so much easier in a group. The miles just go by so much quicker. Final 4 or 5 were still really hard and of course, the snow made life more difficult but I got it done and that was all I wanted.

Good luck to anyone else attempting a long run in today's weather!
  • Options
    Rob, rest and nothing too strenuous as others have said the training is in the bank no point forcing anything now.

Heidi hope the 20 goes well on Monday.

cotsworld well done on the 20, they do play on our mind too much, never done a group run, have tried to arrange a few but never happened, have got a couple of recce runs for my 50 miler planned with a couple of others.

Looks as if all races were cancelled the snow weren’t too bad our way (hertford) and managed 19 miles (over two runs stopped at mums for the loo).

hope everyone is running safe and well, taper time for me!

• Options
    Not been out since a week yesterday with this cold/lurgy thing. Trying to keep positive and planning on maybe a short outing tomorrow evening. not sure how fit the weather was yesterday for a proper long one around here (North East Wales)
  • Options
    Just done the school run with my son and it's like an ice rink out there so I've decided to do my 20 miles on the treadmill this morning. I think it could end up being a test of mental strength rather than physical! Just got to get this done and then it's taper time. 

Congratulations to everybody who has got to the taper weeks fit and well and to anyone suffering injuries or illness....listen to your body and look after yourself. I was ill before London marathon last year but ran regardless, didn't enjoy a single second of it and ended up in hospital afterwards. Need to lay those ghosts to rest so hoping to be in a strong position for Manchester ?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Back from my mini-break, which was really cold. I was planning on a little run today but there's ice all over the pavements so I'm going to leave it until tomorrow. Just hoping I can stay on top of my various niggles between now and the race.
    My race number is 9805 if anyone wants to say hi on race day. I'm in the pink zone (again!).
  • Options
    Best of luck getting back to full health Colin.

How did 20 on a treadmill go Heidi? To me, that would be a way bigger challenge than the marathon itself! Last time I ran on a treadmill I intended to do 5 miles and managed 2. I don't know what it is but I do not get on with them at all.

My number arrived Saturday. I'm in pen C. Think I put 3h30 as intended finish time but I'm actually shooting at sub 3h15 now so I'll have to make sure I'm at the front of the pen, although I suppose everybody will go off too fast anyway so shouldn't make a huge difference. Taper started now, will be good to do some fine tuning with some shorter, quicker stuff. Getting the last week done was hard after not being well week before but I'm really pleased I managed to get through it.

Good luck to anyone who still has that last long run to do.
  • Options
    shukashuka ✭✭
    20 miles on a treadmill is some effort! It was snowing and windy here Saturday morning but I got 17 miles in and felt good enough to do another 8 miles yesterday. Starting the taper this week, tempted to do a park run saturday as I reckon I've got an easy PB just from all the miles I've been putting in.
  • Options
    Treadmill 20 done! First hour was the worst, didn't think I would be able to stick it out but played about with the speed and incline to make it a bit more interesting and watched an insane film called the Barkley Marathons which was pretty inspiring. Going to spend the rest of the day refuelling now, I'm sure chocolate cake is good recovery food. So happy to have reached the taper weeks without the chronic calf pain of last year. Looking forward to that start line now. Good luck with the rest of the training everyone.
  • Options

Top effort Heidi, glad I didn't have to do it, really enjoyed the Barklay marathon film, did you hear about last years results? Some poor guy finished 6 seconds late!!! (after passing out with exhaustion and taking a wrong turn so his final lap wouldn't have counted anyhow).

Cotswold probably be in the same pen as I put an optimistic 3.30 down, Aiming for 3.40 so I will probably go towards the back of the pen!

Shuka great running, I'm also thinking a parkrun for the weekend too, and aiming for my 1st pb since 2015 (two weeks before my last marathon pb).

Really getting myself prepared, writing a timetable for the whole weekend, watching the rerun of 2016/2017 event on youtube to get a feel for the race.  Anyone else do this or am I going OTT.  I like to be prepared for most races.

• Options
    Well done Heidi. Barkley film is good, I watched it a couple of weeks ago. There's a new film just come out about Gary Robbins attempts in 2016/17 which is worth a watch also. Only available to pay and download though. Called Where Dreams go to Die.

Rob, not OTT in my eyes, I do that kind of thing too! I will definitely be coming up with a plan for the weekend soon.
  • Options
    Good luck with that lurgy Colin
    A day's rest can only help with the niggles Cal
    20 miles on a treadmill... urghh ;)
    Nice mileage in the cold Shuka
    Robert... I'm a geek with those sorts of things too.

I'll be in the 3:30 pen too.  I'll either be at the back or a bit further forward depending on where my nephew wants to start.   My last two Manchesters have been sub-3.30 but personally, I'll almost certainly be aiming just under 4hrs this time as I'll be chucking it all into Newport three weeks later.  I will be very aware not to cause any hold up though, even if it means me going a bit faster than I'd like in the first mile.

I was supposed to do Newport half marathon 2 weeks ago, cancelled by the 'beast'... they went to the trouble to rearrange it for yesterday...  and you know what happened! Another 5 inches of snow but I changed plan and did 20 miles late in the day after others had trampled some of it down.  Rest day today... I needed it!