Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR  - I tried in the past to find some type of spray to paint trainers, but couldn't find anything suitable.   It would be so useful, I wanted it as there were some very cheap shoes but they were pink and I won't wear pink.   Thankfully most shoe companies have now worked out that most women don't want to wear pink.  But paint like that would be useful for your Endorphin Speeds too.   I hope you get a chance to use them in a race soon.

The Ride 14's have been released in the USA so should be imminent here, hopefully the Ride 13's will drop in price then.   The reviews for for the 14's so far say that little change to the 13's.   But the Ride13's as well as the Guide 13's seem to be holding their price well, might be worth your while getting a couple of pairs of the ISO at £60.   Not sure we going to see such good prices again.

6 miles this morning, heavy rain again and gale force winds, but very mild so wasn't awful conditions.   A lot of surface water and a bit of flooding in places, we have flood warnings over the next 3 days.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It turns out Zwift and ZwiftPower are great if you're a geek like me!

I'm Cat C which is W/KG of between 2.5 and 3.2.  Cat B is 3.2 to 4.

I entered the Cat C race last night, but when I checked my results on ZwiftPower, I saw my average of 3.4, which technically is Cat B, but I wasn't DQ'd.  It was a very hard effort and my previous 2 results were 3.1 and 2.9.  The average of those is 3.1 and it turns out that ZwiftPower uses an average of the last 3 results to categorise people, and it allows a 0.1 leeway.  I know I am on the boundary of Cat C and Cat B, but I think I need to more up to Cat B unless I don't mind getting DQ'd.  It's strange though as I was nowhere near even the top 10 last night but when I scan down the results, my 3.4 does stand out from most of the rest of the results as being too high.  It's just a bit of fun, I know, but at the same time people do take it seriously as well and I don't want to be DQd in future events.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades- theres defo been cases of lower level pro's who arnt sponsored by Nike, wearing Next% etc and painting them to look like their sponsors shoes.......id defo get some iso 1 or 2 if i could get my hands on a pair. Agreed, reviews say 14s are no better than 13s (possibly worse), so i can stockpile a few pairs of 13 when prices drop. Whilst more than id like to pay at the mo the 13s are supposed to be a much better shoe than iso 1 or 2.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - a couple of days before the Guide 14's were launched here the price started to drop for the 13's.    Should be the same here for the Ride 13's, just need to keep checking.

I once emailed Brooks to complain about their colour choices, I see that's not improved....

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - prices are coming down, i got mine for 99 as against 125, but i prefer 60. I guess ive saved plenty in the past......i have to say im more swayed by price than colour, so if tartan were cheap........
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - I would wear the green tartan shoes if they were cheap.   As long as they're not pink.    The green tartan are being launched for St Patrick's Day, so aimed at Americans that like to pretend they're Irish  ;)

• Options
     :D That's true isn't it Shades. I actually quite like them but then I have a lot of tartan running tights (5 different colours in fact. And I'm not even a bit Scottish or Irish).

I didn't feel up to running yesterday - tired with a scratchy throat (I'm not sick but sometimes I get a slight sore throat, I think when I've been pushing it and sleep's not been awesome). Even though last week was lower mileage, I had some big weeks and a lot of hills before it so body needed a bit of rest, still.
    Anyway, got myself out this morning for my MLR. Weather forecast wasn't promising - wind and rain - but it actually turned out to be lovely. Mild and sunny for most of it.
    My hamstring, hip and glute were pretty awful but I felt quite good apart from that and managed 12 miles between 10 and 10:30 pace which is a lot more like it (especially as I threw in four good hills).
    I treated myself to a fresh pair of kicks (still Epic Reacts - a nice dark aubergine colour this time - I have one more pair after this before I have to go shoe shopping again) as the ones I've been wearing have nearly 1000 miles on them. I expected them to feel a lot bouncier but there wasn't a huge amount of difference and my feet got quite sore (I think the flyknit needs to relax a bit).
    I compared the new pair to the old ones and the foam has compressed a bit in the old pair, and there's a little wear on the forefoot, but other than that they're not bad at all. There's no wear at all on the heel (but since I'm not a heel striker I'm not surprised).
  • Options
    Cal - hope you're feeling better soon

Shades - what's wrong with pink shoes, I've got a pair of GT2000 in salmon pink? With my surname I'd never wear those green brooks, never pretended to be Irish and never forced a Guinness down my neck on paddy's day.

Rcouture - good news about the jab, it seems to be working its way through the country.

Ian - fingers crossed MK goes ahead, although wouldn't read too much into comms until right up to the start just in case.

MF - hopefully now you know whats the issue is can work at it and be like new again!

Big G - I asked my gp about being up the list for asthma but because its mild I wouldn't get priority which I have no qualms with as I'm in no rush.

More bad news and layoff for me, Out of the blue I was doing some massage on my scar tissue from the surgery and massaged a lump which had been there since.  Thought nothing of it and a couple of days later there was a red mark like a bite, left it for a couple of days and then looked infected.  It burst on Sunday and called docs on Monday.  All done by phone and pictures but they think it's granuloma, probably a stitch that didn't dissolve and has now infected the muscle so got some tablets and cream to calm it down but likely to have some work done on it.

In other news both myself and elle are serious about weight loss she has 5 stone to lose and I have 3 stone (now 14stone 9lb) day 4 into it now and going strong.  I've also not had an alcoholic drink for 3 weeks either.  I was going to stay off until Dorney Lake Marathon but unsure if that will happen now for me or anyone but see how long it lasts. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's impressive mileage from your shoes, really economical.

I have Scots ancestry and although I don't care at all, I could never bring myself to wear a tartan that I'm not entitled to wear by right of birth.   Just bred into me I guess, my mother would turn in her grave.   :o

Robert - I don't mind salmon pink so much, or even raspberry/cerise.   What I despise is girly pink, trailer trash colour, yuk.

Hope your leg heals quickly.   That could have flared up at a later time so just as well be now with no racing or club etc.

You sound very determined with the weight loss plan, good luck to both of you.

Perhaps we'll find out next week if there's likely to be races by Easter.
    I did see a marathon in Essex 18th April on RunBritain website but haven't looked at the details.   I'm not interested for me.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you and El are motivated, Robert. Best of luck with the weight loss and not drinking.  Bad luck about the new/associated knee issue though :(

Cal, sounds like those shoes suit you very well in terms of mileage. 

I did about 45mins on zwift on a mountain bike course, which was a bit different. Strange how in the game you’re quicker on a mountain bike on an off-road course compared with those who are still on road bikes, although of course I’m just physically sitting there on the same bike as usual. OH is off so we’re going for a short walk to the beach in a bit as the weather is nice. 
  • Options
    The Epics are perfect for me, which is why I'm so annoyed that Nike's no longer making them. The two new models that replace them are much heavier and have some stability features, which I don't want, so not sure what I will do once I'm through my last pair.

Rob, sorry to hear that,  I hope it clears up quickly.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Big G-I am definitely cat D still,2.3 is my average lately.
    Usual after work run tonight,felt fine,could feel my foot a couple of times aching so hoping for no after effects tomorrow.
    Kipchoge is running Hamburg elite marathon in April.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-How is your club getting on with the relay,see a couple of fast guys have registered times but not too many females yet?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I was wondering about doing one of the Zwift training plans.  They have "FTP  builders" etc, so I was wondering whether to do a 6-week one.  But the plans don't really take of races and other rides I may want to do, so I was wondering if I may find it limiting.  My Tri club are talking about doing a few more Wednesday races, plus they still do the Monday structured training sessions, so if everything else I do in the week are just regular rides maybe that's good training anyway?  I'm learning as I go basically, and it's a whole other world compared to running!

Cal, that's annoying about Nike discontinuing those shoes.  I have seen people saying they don't understand Nike's lineup any more, and they find it confusing with all the different options and models they have now.  Aren't they also discontinuing the Peg Turbo 2, to replace it with the Tempo Next%?  Seems a bit odd if that's the case, especially as the reviews of the Tempo Next% were mixed, with a few having to be sent back as people were popping the air pods after not many miles.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Cal - that is so annoying when you find what is for you the perfect shoe and then they make changes that just don't suit you.   Too late I suppose to find any residual stock of the ones you like.

Ian - that PF is persistent.  😡

I saw that about Kipchoge doing Hamburg.   Bit of a coup for the race organisers at Hamburg.  

Big G - still no running? 

7 miles today.   When I got up it was very windy but dry, for a change.   But by the time I went out for my run it was raining, so another morning battling the wind and rain but so mild I had a lovely run.  Most enjoyable. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, not yet.  Today and yesterday I felt I could have done a short run, but I've purposefully held off as I don't want to take a step backwards with any lingering dizziness .  I'll not run over the weekend and then if okay on Monday, I may try a run then.

I did a ride on Zwift of around 90mins this morning and felt good. There’s a long group ride planned for tomorrow with over 3000 entered so hoping I can have a go at that. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well that's good you're getting better.   I'm sure it's not the rain that's put you off for the next couple of days  ;)

Wasn't Kilian Jornet supposed to be doing another 24 hour attempt in Spain this weekend or have I got the dates wrong?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, not it's not really the rain, although having said that I would like to enjoy my first run back and in good conditions!  It's just this very slight lingering dizziness, and also the fact I've got a long ride planned tomorrow, means I'm trying to be careful.  I'm missing it though, but for now I'm able to hold off for another couple of days or so and just see how I am.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry, pressed return too early.  I'm not sure about Killian, I didn't mark the date anywhere.  I did just have a quick Google but couldn't see anything mentioned though.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I dug the below out, which just says "late February", but it's from December so not sure if there is any more info.  I just had a quick look on Salomon's site and also Kilian's social media but couldn't see anything else about it, but he currently seems to do be doing quite a lot of skiing in the mountains!
    https://www.elprimer.cat/kilian-jornet-escull-vilanova-per-intentar-batre-el-record-de-24-hores-corrent
  • Options
    I quite like the Peg Turbo 2 as well, Big G - do a fair bit of my speed training in them. 
    Not that I will be doing that for a while, it seems. My proximal hamstring tendinopathy has taken a turn for the worse. A while after my run yesterday it really started giving me gip when I caught my foot on something walking around my flat, my slight stumble sent a bolt of pain through my hip that made me yelp. 
    So I'll have to take some time off and really focus on the rehab stuff. I don't know how long it'll take to settle this time but I guess we'll see.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's the same press release that I originally saw about the Spanish 24.   Maybe they've decided against it for now or maybe Spain have a lockdown that prevents them holding the event now.

Cal - ouch, that must have really hurt.  
  • Options
    Cal - That’s a real shame. Hope it passes soon with the rehab. 

Rob - Good luck with the weight loss. 

Couldn’t run yesterday due to work but managed to get out for 7 miles at lunch today. Very windy but fun otherwise especially with these Hyperion tempos which are grand. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Hope it goes quickly for you.
    Big G-Good luck when you run again.
    Rcouture- Nice lunch miles.
    8.8 after work,bit slower today but it was dark and wet so just happy to get it done.
    Thinking about my PF,I'm thinking the content banging on concrete can't help,so would a more cushioned pair of shoes help take some of the pressure off?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I can tell you're loving the new shoes  :)

Ian - That's not really a short run 8.8 miles  :#   Running further won't heal your PF.

Robert, Rcouture and Big G are really the experts on PF.

From what I understand about PF the pain is like a bruised heel but is actually caused by an inflamed tendon which runs the length of the foot.   Support needs to be given to the foot including the arch.   Taping for exercise helps, do you do that?  Lots of runners switch shoes to help recover with PF, when I was researching Hokas they were very popular with PF sufferers as they hold the whole foot snugly with lots of cushioning, but don't think they'd suit you as the drop may be too low if you still have achilles problems too.   Highest drop I think for Hokas is 5mm

Are you running in the same brand/model of shoes all the time?

A more cushioned shoe could certainly help, I've found the NB1080's hold the foot snugly, especially the heel, I think the drop is 10mm on them.   They are very tight on the arch so if you have a high arch you may need the wide fitting.   Need Big G's comment here please.

Of course the other issue is that you're on your feet all day in your job so you might need to alter your work shoes.  Insoles/taping etc.

Was planning to do 8 miles today, very windy and heavy rain again so I knew that my route might need amending due to flooding.   Got my feet wet before I'd done a mile as I ran under a railway bridge and didn't see a huge puddle, very mild so my feet soon warmed up again.   I got to 3 miles and all the fields edging the roads were under deep water, I was planning an out and back so needed to do another mile.   I guessed as the water was probably about 12-18 inches from bursting the banks onto the road I had enough time to run to my turnaround point before the road flooded.   But just around the next bend the water had already burst the bank and was flowing fast across the road, I decided to run through the flood, probably about 15 inches deep.  Next plan was to head back to town using an off road path but I then remembered that years ago I'd had to wade through flood water that was up to my hips on that path.   

So carried on with my original route but had to change the way back to town by using a short path to a housing estate.   When I got to the path, I stopped to look at the floods, the fields now had swans and a huge flock of Canada geese.  In a paddock on the edge of the flooding were 3 deer and I could see they were trying to work out how to get across the water.  They jumped out of the paddock and ran through the first stretch of water and jumped onto a bank, they stopped then and were deciding what to do as they had a longer and deeper flood to cross the next field.   Then they jumped into the water and set off for the woods, they startled the swans and geese and they all flew off, a magnificent sight.  The first 2 deer managed to get across fairly easily but the third one, which was a lot smaller, struggled and I think had to resort to swimming the deeper section but the first two waited on the edge of the woods until the third deer got across.   

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Good post re PF shades, taking the on your feet all day point, no flip flops, pumps, plimsole type shoes, spend minimal time barefoot indoors. Wear new running shoes and something that supports your arch as much as possible at other times....it also helped me to put some heel raises in my shoes (but not in running shoes). Yoga is supposed to be good too.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I looked at Hoka but seen the drop so no good for me,achilles finally feels good the last couple of months so don't want to get that again.
    Found a new video about PF that seems really helpful,a lot can be caused by tight calf muscles, which also can cause Achilles,as it's the same leg I'm thinking it could be this,so there was a good stretch to to which affects the heel so going to try that a few times a day.
    I swap shoes between Adrenaline and Guides but mainly be Adrenaline the last month but will switch it up more.
    I do wear insoles for work,but dont tape so will start that.
    8.8 is my standard after work run,takes about 75mins and is the shortest I ever tend to do.
    You wouldn't think you leave in a town with the things you see on your run.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - did you get rid of the PF completely or does it niggle now and then?

Ian - not worth the risk of a lower drop shoe then by trying Hokas then.   Have a look at some neutral mega cushioned shoes that give good arch support with a comfortable drop.  Half of my shoes are neutral and the other half mild stability, such as Adrenalines and Guides.

It's only a small town and I only have to run half a mile to be out in countryside.   :)    I've never seen deer swim before though.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, fingers crossed you recover quickly.

Sounds a great run there, Shades, certainly in terms of the wildlife if not the wet feet!

Ian/Shades, yes, as you know I'm loving the 1080s.  I have both standard width and wider fitting shoes and what I find is that I can get a comfy fit on the standard width, but I have to slacken off the laces before tying them, whereas on the wider width I don't have to mess around with the laces so much.  Certainly the wider width are obviously more roomy, but for me I think I mainly feel the extra room in the toe box which should be welcome for me on longer runs.  Not sure if that's any help, but certainly I find they're very cushioned and they wear well, and they did help with the achilles issues I had.  Somehow there is less pressure in that area, even though my heel doesn't slip in them. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I now have 3 pairs of wet shoes drying out as heavy rain the last 3 days.

This is the flood I ran through this morning.   They're now saying in places the water is 3-4 feet deep, this river is tidal and high tide at 11 a.m. this morning