Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, you can amend your booking so I think you may be able to edit your t-size (I haven't tried it myself).  In the email, there is a View Booking button, and after you've logged in there is an option to Amend Booking.

Robert, for that price, I opted not to get a t-shirt.  I think if I had got the shirt, it would have been about £20-ish.

RCouture, fingers crossed you're on the right road back to fitness.  Regarding my training, I seem to have fallen into doing one very hard session a week on Zwift, and one interval-type session with the club, but if I feel any niggle at any point, the session with the club will be the first to be dropped  Also, I do have a number of events in fairly quick succession coming up, so if I am too tired from that the sessions will be dropped. 

Shades, good to see we all got a place.  There is a problem somewhere as the race listing isn't showing the club names, but probably that will all be sorted.  I imagine Liz (the new RD) has already emailed the company asking what is going on, as she is very on the ball!  She isn't a runner really but does a huge amount for the club (I think she does entries for all our races, is club secretary etc), although I did notice she had started at the beginners session very recently.  I also noticed her husband wasn't on the list of entrants, so maybe he has been roped in to help, and also surprised to see Chair not on there.  I went the whole hog and booked camping for 2 nights, plus the pasta party.

It was a good show last night, but the theatre was half empty.  Me and a mate went to see Dom Joly, and it was a good show, and went for a couple of drinks afterwards.  Felt like a normal night!  OH is away this weekend in Cornwall - since the pandemic, she has met a load of friends who all do online workouts.  There is a group of 10 of them that have become good friends, and one of them has a nice pace in Tintangel, so they are all down there this weekend.  I think 4 of them are sleeping in 'Val the MoHo' (motorhome), and the rest scattered about the house!  The host's husband has promptly left the building, I understand....
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you forgot you've lost all that weight  ;)

Rcouture - don't think about a possible DNF.   You just have to see what happens on the day, and if it does kick in you might be able to walk to the finish, often it's the only way to get to the finish.  Marathons aren't all about PB's, things happen on race day, all of us on here have plenty of race stories where disaster has struck, falls, cramps, 50mph winds etc etc. 

If you have glutes not firing properly it's a fairly lengthy rehab as it's training the mind too.   You can do hours of glute exercises but if you don't switch on the glutes they will be predominantly quad and hamstring exercises.  We learn in Pilates about switching on and switching off different muscle groups, it's really hard and mentally very tiring, all to do with muscle memory.

As part of my gym journey I have specific glute exercises, I have to concentrate and switch on my glutes, I did this Thursday for my workout, I can still feel that it worked and when I run I also try to switch on my glutes.   Today for the first 7 miles my glutes were firing nicely without any particular effort from me but as I tired in the last mile I realised they were resting and I mentally had to bring them back into use.   

Robert - how is Elle?

I'm picturing you today, a lonely marshall on a hillside somewhere.    :)

The Tavy 13 that Big G and I have entered (£13 entry fee) is run over the roads of Dartmoor and is like a mini DD.  

Big G - I don't remember that the entry system showed club names, I know it's on the software that the Trotters use and that listing is usually on the DD page of the Trotters website.
    I noticed the new RD's son wasn't on the race entries either.  :open_mouth:  I thought Chair would be there, maybe she's saved him a place.

Did you book your camper van place too?

Good that OH is enjoying herself in Cornwall, looks like no trip to the Netherlands for a while, I see they've got another mini lockdown. 

8 miles this morning, lovely morning, no wind, no rain.   Fat Charolais cattle, lots of pheasants and saw my kingfisher on the way home.

Gym later, still aching from Thursday, especially my glutes, but upper body today.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Shades, I did hear something about Young Trotter has given up competitive running :(  Not sure if it was just a temporary blip or what happened, but he has got a job and was not running much at all (this was a couple of months ago).  A real shame.  On the DD entry list there is a column for club name but it was blank for all runners.  I remembered that Chair and a few others are at Brecon Beacons trail marathon this weekend, so maybe they haven't been able to get on to book?  Yes, I booked the camper van spot for the weekend :)  

12 miles this morning, including parkrun.  Really nice weather for running and I had a decent run out.  The two flat miles of parkrun on the tarmac were a good pace at MAF, so I was happy with that.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Shades - Yes that’s why the physio thinks it’s a longer term issue in that my right glute needs training to be ‘engaged’. She thinks this explains why all my niggles and issues historically are on my right side. She checked and there is no difference in leg length. It might or might not be my overpronation on only my left side leading to issues but the treatment would be the same regardless. Now that I’m conscious of it and have been doing these exercises, it’s quite obvious that the right glute and hip area is underpowered and lacking mobility versus the other. 

Went out for 3.5 miles this morning. Very vaguely felt the ITB near the end so called it there. Not encouraging given I haven’t run since Tuesday. Separately my HR was horrible but think that’s probably due to a bug everyone at the house has as RHR been high too. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - crikey YT giving up running!   I saw on FB a while ago he was offering coaching services.   Maybe with a job he has just realised that it's very tiring to do high mileage training and work etc.   I'm sure he'll come back to it.

I thought you would book with the camper van.   You'll be looking forward to the disco then 🤣 🕺

Another good run from you today, have you decided what to do at your RED race this coming weekend, HR perhaps.   I see they are now permitting their races through ARC, I assume they weren't happy with EA/UKA.

Rcouture - that's good news about your legs being the same length, that means you can look forward to being injury free from this particular problem in time.   Many runners have poor glutes and if there was an injury in the past that meant that a one glute was less engaged then without conscious effort that means due to muscle memory the glute will continue to not do what it should.

Sorry you're having such a horrible taper. 
  • Options
    Big G - Nice 12 miles

Shades - I do wonder if my lazy cheek is due to being at a desk for so long. I know that’s not exactly uncommon but almost 20 years of 11-12 hour days can’t help especially as I’m not one of these people who’s particularly good at getting up once an hour. And yes I hate taper generally, and particularly this one 😀. Having said that I’m well aware that it works so just need to trust it. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I haven't yet decided what I am going to do at the RED event, but I know I won't be going out too hard.  I think I will play it by ear and just see how I get on;  if I can pick it up slightly in the second half I would be really happy with that as my first one back, but I will just have to see.  In terms of mileage, I have so far done 47 this week, and I am planning a run tomorrow so should end on around 55/60-ish.  No firm plans on the mileage for next week, but I expect I will drop it slightly on the weekdays in preparation for the event.  Post-Covid I do feel back to normal, but my RHR is a couple of beats high compared to what it was pre-covid.  I am not worried about it and if I couldn't see the graphs I wouldn't even notice it day-to-day, and I suppose it could be nothing to do with Covid in any case, but I just want to ease back into it at the RED event for my first one back since New Forest on 25th Sept.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I'm sure the years we've spent sitting at desks, hours on the computer have all had some effect on us.   Running can bring us to a very good level of fitness but it can also find our weaknesses, hence injury being a major part of distance running.

Tapering is hard, mentally more than physically.  But at least the taper is hopefully giving your injury some time to recover.

Big G - that sounds a sensible approach to the RED race.
    Your RHR may just be slightly raised due to the speedwork plus the building of mileage over the last couple of weeks.  It might drop this week when you're tapering.

Just like old times this morning, went on Booking.com and hotel booked for Connemarathon.  Didn't rebook the hotel that I've had 3 bookings cancelled due to the pandemic plus they had to refund me when they charged me in error as I expect they're sick of me.
    I booked my favourite 4 star hotel instead, to hell with the price.

Also looked at hotel for Cork, very expensive, need to think about that first.

Can't book any flights yet, schedules not yet released.

Only 3 people in the gym, lovely.
  • Options
    I am in Manchester at the moment so opted for the new Peel parkrun, which is bordered by the River Irwell. A lovely two lap course, though it did cross a field at one point and that part was rather muddy. Still, I managed my fastest time this year, at 26:47...still well down on where I was but after all the injuries I'm happy to be moving in the right direction.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, the other day I noticed Peel parkrun, as it is only about a mile or so from the hotel I am staying at when I go to Manchester in April, so I may do that one when I am there :)   I have changed my hotel booking as a few Trotters are booking into a city centre Premier Inn, so I have booked there now too.  Good luck today.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - well done on your parkrun.   Hope you have a good race today too.

Big G - looks like Manchester will replace London as Spring marathon trip for the club, now that it's very few that run London unless they've got GFA times?

10 miles today, undulating route with one long hill, still came out at 690 feet overall, but there was a good bit of flat on my route.   Lovely morning, trees look amazing in autumn colours.
    50 miles for the week.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I think so.  Quite a few do it and a small group do it most years I believe.  I had an entry for 2020 and we'd met up for a meal in the run up to it, but obviously it got cancelled :(  

13 miles today, with a few hills thrown in and I had a great run out today in what were really good running conditions.
  • Options
    Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Big G nice 13! Do you think your fully over covid now?

Shades great 50 mile week, that will chip away at the 30 mins off DD time

Cal great steps forward at parkrun well done

Rcouture continue with the taper, hope you don't catch any lergy going round.

Elle's still up and down, loses taste from time to time, we were out in the garden early and she wasn't too bad then.  Marshalling went okay yesterday, managed to steer clear of everyone.  I was concerned last night as started to get a bit bunged up round nasal area and light headed, but feel okay today.  Haven't gone out for run just in case, will leave it for a couple of days to be safe. 

Just seen DD is sold out, Cal, Rcouture you'll have to add your names to the waiting list if you want to join ;-) 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, yes, I would say I am fully recovered now.  Just marginally raised RHR, but that may be nothing to do with having Covid.  I am a bit tired at the moment, but then I haven't slept brilliantly and I have ran 60 miles this week, plus rode 4.5hrs on the bike, so again probably nothing to do with Covid.  I do feel that I have been lucky, except for missing my A-races, of course!!  OH is still pretty tired and not quite firing on all cylinders just yet due to that, but apart from that she is okay.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - good that Elle isn't too poorly, I'm sure you're looking after her well.

Living with someone who has Covid would turn anyone into a raving hypochondriac though 😉

I'm sure the DD transfer list will be quite active later on so we should be able to find places for anyone that wants one.

Big G - I agree, perfect conditions for running this morning, another good run from you.

• Options
    All the best to you and Elle, Rob - do let me know about Jersey Farm (no hurry though!)

Alton Towers went better than expected and, all in all, it was a top day. I ran 2:04:23 official - actually very OK with that given I only crawled off the injury bench two weeks ago and wasn't sure I'd even make it. Took it a bit easier, enjoyed the atmosphere, chatted to the people I ended up running with, high fived the kids, thanked the marshals and interacted with the entertainers. Wasn't too tired after to enjoy the park for the rest of the day, and got lots of riding done (the park was only open to runners, their friends and families and the volunteers, so pretty much everything was a walk on). Win.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a great result, well done.   And about time you had a positive race experience, you're obviously on your way back to full fitness.   :)

9 miles this morning, bit chilly when I set out but it warmed up a bit.   Managed to come back on the back roads but very dark and couldn't really see where I was going for a mile or so.

Gym later, legs/glutes again but lighter weights than Thursday's session.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Great to read you enjoyed the race, Cal.   Sounds like you enjoyed the rides too.

Rest day from running today, but planning a Zwift session with the Tri club this evening.  They've restarted the Monday night Zwift sessions, but this is the first one I have been able to do since the restart.
  • Options
    Thanks...I did enjoy Ealing too, though I got to run past rollercoasters at Alton (and then ride them afterwards!) Going by this and Peel parkrun, I've not lost much fitness during the last "outtage" but I still have a lot to recoup to get me back to pre-lockdown levels. Still, I have plenty of time before Manchester next April.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nice pic, Cal.

I was going to post this a couple of days ago, but forgot.  It is of our training session with the Tri club from last week, and is quite atmospheric, but it looks like we are floating!  It was quite strange when running around the track that evening, as there was a mist over the grass in the middle of the track, which we could see through the lighting.  I hadn't realised it, but for some reason South West Water paid for the club's lights and they were down there taking pics for some form of publicity.  

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Glad to hear things are improving.
    As for me a pretty rough week,I was really ill for a few days,took LFT every day and a PCR on Friday,but all come back negative,felt like a really bad cold so can only assume that's what it was.
    I hadn't planned on running last week so nothing lost,hoping to get out tomorrow as I'm over the worst of it now.
    Exciting news that Boston flights are now booked,going there for the race then heading to NYC for a few days with OH and son,so an expensive but good trip to look forward to.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you were lucky dodging Covid then, after your weekend in Barcelona and you're just about ready to start your next training period.

Did Barcelona sort your race result out?

Good news Boston all booked up now.

Cal - good pic.

It's safe to come home now, DD is full.  But the transfer list is up and started if you change your mind 😉

Big G - good to hear SWW putting their money to good use.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    7 miles this morning, not so cold and not a breath of wind so good running weather.

Pilates this morning, thankfully we're moving on from what we've been doing over the last few weeks, which  culminated with doing a superman while balancing on one knee on a football, with perfect form of course.  ;)  I couldn't do it, close but not quite and was fed up with trying.

So today we're moving on to improving hip mobility, much more useful to me as a runner.   Then upper body session in the gym.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, there is zero chance of me doing that football exercise.  99.9% chance of me ending up flat on my face if I tried though!

I did the Zwift session last night with the Tri club, which was enjoyable.  Nothing too strenuous, but it was good doing the session with other people.

I was out a bit later than usual but did 10 miles this morning and had a decent run out again. 
  • Options
    Big G Glad to hear you're both recovering well, bugger missing the A races will make next years even more special.

Cal - top stuff at the weekend, glad it was a good run and enjoyed yourself, that's what this malarkey is all about :smile:  

Ian - good news on the lft and pcr, sounds like a good trip to the states next year

Shades - I've only been to a couple of pilates sessions and got enough to know that my core is awful, I probably would have gone back but then had my fall and hardly used the gym since.

Elle is still ill, she should have came out of isolation tonight but temp is still high and sore chest.  I'm still testing negative on the lft but think mine is more my head playing tricks and a bit of cold.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the week before last I managed to grab a football that was a bit soft so was making progress with the superman.   Then last week some bloody do-gooder had blown all the footballs up, so much in fact that one exploded, the outer skin burst while we were warming up.   Needless to say the exercise became even harder to do.

Did enjoy the hip mobilisation work we did today, still challenging but in an achievable way.

The Zwift sessions that the Tri club do, is that normal winter training for the club or just since the pandemic?

Robert - sorry to hear Elle is still poorly, hope she starts to recover soon.
    You must have a good strong immune system to have so far resisted the virus.

You have to do Pilates for a long time to really start seeing the benefits, at least a couple of years.   But I'm sure it's made me stronger in the core and perhaps a little more injury resistance too.

I see there's already 13 people on the DD transfer list!
  • Options
    Sorry that Elle is still poorly, Rob.
    Do you think JF is on for next Saturday or would you prefer to postpone? (I don't mind either way but I will need to book train tickets by Friday).

Shades, what sort of exercises did you do for that? (And thanks...needed a reminder to book pilates for tomorrow).

Ian...I'm envious, I would love to do Boston!

Four miles recovery today. Sun was shining so it was a pleasant run although I have a few sore bits after the half.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the Tri Zwift sessions started in the pandemic but I think they’re hoping to continue them each winter. 

Robert, sorry to hear about El. Fingers crossed she gets better soon. 
  • Options
    Cal - Cracking pic and so pleased for you that you had a great weekend after your recent issues. 

Ian - Exciting stuff on getting US booked

Shades - I’m very keen to start yoga up again soon for that reason, that the benefits really compound the longer you do it. Have seen it with my dad who’s done yoga for 35 years or so and his flexibility/strength for his age is really something. I just need to find the time for it.  

Rob - Hope Elle gets better soon. Our household has had a running cold/bug or series of them for what feels like year

Big G - Nice 10 miles and zwift session

5 miles at lunch. I had forgotten something that had really helped when I had ITB issues a couple of years back which was this strap:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Tec-Athletics-Small-Large-Compression/dp/B000G34VV0/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=JIPYQYVRHD1R&keywords=itb+strap&qid=1637076203&rdc=1&sprefix=itb+strap%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-8

You wear it a couple of inches above your knee so it fixes the ITB there where it doesn’t impede movement or catch, rather than against the side of the knee. It works and had no pain/discomfort during or after the run, just a bit of soreness in the area above the knee where the padded bit digs in. It’s not a long term solution especially as it makes it harder to tell if the ITB is fixed or not. However I  will probably try it on a couple more runs and wear it as insurance in Florence. Also had another session with the physio yesterday where she tried some cup therapy on the area. No idea if it did anything but boy is it a weird sensation 😬
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - do you mean the hip mobilisation exercises?

Seems you've recovered better from this race too.  🙂

Big G - some good things have come out of the pandemic.   That's ideal winter training for those unable or unwilling to take their bikes out in the winter.

Rcouture - that ITB strap looks like it will really help, such a good idea.   Write it on your race list for Florence so you don't forget it 😉

Yes, yoga is great strength work.   I'm not good at yoga, my right foot doesn't flex well and I can't do the mind stuff.   I do like Yin Yoga which is great for runners and all done sitting or lying down but the class is in the evening which I'm not keen on.

They have started Bollywood classes today too, not for me, although it looks fun.

I don't know much about cup therapy, I know a girl in Ireland that practises it and is in great demand.