Too true, especially as in the following days there is also,

Tuesday 20th 5km
    Friday 23rd 5m
    Sunday 25th 10m
    Monday 26th Half

lol! Must be mad! NN
  • Options
    NN
    The Team award (held by Orion) is for a team of three from the same Club (sex is irrelevant.

The great thing about Benfleet is its variety. There is the long flat run out to the ridge, A sharp climb, then those hilarious middle miles when your feet never seem to be properly connected to the rest of you. The long flat run in to the finish is a relief until (in my case) any energy finally vanishes. It seems different every year. It looks as if I was lucky to miss this year.

Maurice
  • Options
    Maurice

Benfleet - Start was fine, short hill climb interesting. As to the middle miles, ground alternated between 4-6 inches of mud and 4-6 inches of surface water!! was a relief to get onto a firm surface but with my trainers caked in mud still made the going tough (along with my trainers full of water!!). Only problem was the run into the finish when you had to come off the seawall. How I didn't go arse over elbow I do not know!! You were definitely lucky to have missed out!!
  • Options
    Maurice, thanks for the info about the team prize, its just that I have been trying to presuade some others to enter!

I still preferred the drinking on the Saturday night rather than the thought of Benfleet on the Sunday :)

NN
  • Options
    Hello everyone - have been reading all your comments about the Halstead marathon with interest. Am s'posed to be running the FLM this Sunday but am still recovering from a poorly timed bout of 'flu, so am thinking of doing the Halstead instead.

This will be my first marathon - I'm anticipating running it between 4:30 - 5:00hrs - is there anyone of similar standard who I could meet up with at the start for mutual moral support?

Jo
  • Options
    Hi Joanne, I am not looking to run a similar time but will be there at the start and always willing to give moral support.

Sorry to hear about your flu, I wont swear on the forums, just say that its not good timng!

NN
  • Options
    Hi Joanne,

We have Debbie of Luton and Neasa of Canterbury who have both entered on-line and given a time of 4 hours 30 mins

I can send a message to them if you wish, my email is maurice.young@which.net.

We have a strict policy of not releasing details of runners without their consent.

Hope you can join us it is a very friendly race as we are all runners and our marshals know what you are feeling like when you pass

Maurice.
  • Options
    Hi Maurice,

Not far to race day now. Hope the weather stays nice.

NN
  • Options
    Hi NN and Maurice,

Thanks for your responses - NN - I'd love to meet you to say hello at the start of the race, and Maurice, it'd be great if you could pass my details onto Debbie and Neasa. I'll email you with my details.

Look forward to seeing you there.

regards
    Jo
  • Options
    would you believe it, there I was minding my own business at FLM expo yesterday, when i got aproached by a guy trying to get me to sign up for a marathon " through the picuresque essex countryside"(quote)

When I explained that not only do I live in essex, but infact hail from Sudbury, and knew all about the halstead marathon from my old mate NN, he was most suprised!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Hi Legless & NN,

Not only surprised but very impressed!

Maurice

• Options
    Hi all,

Lol, Legless you know these halstead guys, they track you down everywhere...

Joanne, ok its a date! Seriously though, we will arrange a meet point nearer the time.

Maurice, maybe you could suggest where any of us should meet that morning, probably just out the front of the school maybe on the grassed area about 30 mins before the off?

NN
  • Options
    Hi

I will have a word with the race director at our next "meeting". (This Sunday in the Dog) but last year we fixed up a meeting point for the Road Runners Club inside.

It would be a good idea to have a meeting point for a number of reasons - thanks for the idea.

M
  • Options
    Hi Maurice, excellent.

NN

PS. Have fun (and plenty of alcohol at the Dog) at your meeting!
  • Options
    depends how I get on in the morning, but I might be tempted to join you all at halstead, but gotta get my kit together now, and go a gentle jog thru Londinium.so will see you on Friday NN, let me know where to meet up.
    LL
  • Options
    Hi Legless, did you get about 4:29, as I checked the results and thought it may be you?

How was the run? Well done whatever the result as it was warm again, NN
  • Options
    NN yep that was me, but officail chip time now has me at 4.24.02
    it was not warm ...it was F*****g hot!!!!!!!

was on for 3.45 ish then cramped up big time and had to walk/jog the last 5miles in agony
  • Options
    boing boing Legless!
  • Options
    FoggoFoggo ✭✭✭
    I have not had a chance to read through all th eprevious messages, but can someone tell me is the halstead a flat course? Is it a course to get a good time?
  • Options
    It is my Marathon PB, but it is not flat.

Some people will say it is really hilly, and others that it is ok, its down to preference really.

I dont think it is too bad, but you certainly can not compare it to London!

NN

• Options
    FoggoFoggo ✭✭✭
    Cant compare it to london ? in what way? Obviously the atmospshere & numbers but is the actual course harder?
    I did the essex 20 earlier this year, is the course comparable to that?
    I did the essex 20 in 2.28, any idea what time I could hope for?
  • Options
    Well FLM is the perfect PB course, well it would be if you didnt have to fight through the crowds!

I did Essex 20 too in 2:17, I am hoping to dip under 3:00 at Halstead if that gives you any help?

Essex 20 was quite flat (and windy!), this is hillier than Essex 20, but its not 'that' bad.

You were only 11 mins behind, so maybe you could get 3:15? That would be automatic qualifying time for FLM for the next two years also.......

NN
  • Options
    Did everyone do the Essex 20 in a faster time than me?? I obviously have something to prove here then!
  • Options
    Michelle
    Not Run B4 but will b relishing the challenge after frustration of not getting in FLM. Aiming 4 about 3H.45mins.Hope 2 c u there barring injury, look out 4 No 133 with St.Albans Striders shirt on 2 say Hello
    Michael
  • Options
    Hi Michael, hopefully we will be meeting up on the grass outside the front of the school (start) 30 mins before the start.

See you there, NN
  • Options
    Hi NH
    The secret to a fast Halstead Marathon is to carbo load the night before on hill pasta, then in the morning have a big helping of hill poridge.I Love eating hills for breakfast.

Have a good run
    Michael
  • Options
    haha, yep a few hills has never done anyone any harm.

NN
  • Options
    Stuart, sorry I missed your posting the other day, you have nothing to prove at all except to yourself maybe?

I run to prove to myself that I can keep improving, we all have differing aims and targets.

See you there, NN