Options

Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Comments

• Options
    Hello all

I don't think you necessarily need to go under 1.30 to get sub 3.15 (though it would be nice!). I've run sub 3.15 and a couple of times got close to it off no more than 1.32 half and 41/42 10k times. I do speedwork and hill work, but the really crucial runs are the long run - at least two of around 24 miles with another 2 or 3 at 22 and others at 20 - and the marathon pace run of up to 13 or 14 miles. I don't think speedwork on a track is absolutely necessary either in marathon training, except maybe as a sharpener for three or four weeks immediately prior to the race - consistent hill work is just as good, as are regular threshold or fartlek sessions.

Sim
  • Options
    Thanks guys - I feel more confident about really going for it this April. I think that my lack of trianing for Sunday is going to teach me a lesson like only a marathon can. I will let you know how I fared.
  • Options
    Sim, I was very interested in your comments re race predictors and long training runs(mostly because my chances of running sub 1:30 HM are extremely slim!).

For a 3:15 marathon you need to be running 7:30 miles, right?
    So, you are saying get a mid-week run in of (say) 10-15 miles at that pace, and a really long run at the weekend. What sort of pace would you run that at?
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Dogfish - everything I read suggests the long run should be around MP + 10-20% so 8:15 - 9:00 per mile. I definitely run my long runs too fast however - usually around 8:00 min/miles sometimes slightly faster, even for 22 milers.

I totally agree with Sim that you don't need a sub 1:30 HM necessarily (my PB set last October was 1:33:08 - Selby, very flat and fast), but the long runs are the key. I did 5 x 20-milers, one 21-miler and a 22-miler before FLM, and i think it made the biggest difference to my time. I started off doing speedwork and tempo runs but that quickly went to pot when my long runs hit 20 miles.

Good luck with your marathon CG. If you don't go sub 3:15 this time we can spur each other on for FLM as we seem to be practically identical speed wise! I was planning Berlin in a couple of weeks but managed to injure myself and missed the 2 biggest training mileage weeks, and am still not really up and running yet so have decided to pull out.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    DD - just to be pedantic, sub 3:15 requires 7.25 miling.

In my experience the majority of girls get commensurately better the longer the distance. They can achieve relatively excellent marathon or 20 mile times off 'inferior' 10k, 10 mile or half-m times. My clubmate Joanne ran 3:14 in FLM 2005 off a 1:31 half and a 70 min 10 miler. All the blokes I know of similar ability over the shorter distances ran between 3:20 & 3:30 for the marathon.

Conclusion.. go for it girls {o:
  • Options
    So my 7:25 m/m on my 14 mile undulating training run is off pace eh Wardi? I was actually pleased with it, for a midweek session and with several weeks to go.
  • Options
    Wardi - Damn, that' s my training plan in tatters then! (actually the required pace is 7:26 and a quarter, just to out-pedanticise you ;-)

Good luck with the weekend runs everyone ...anyone racng??

• Options
    I'd love to be racing, but instead I'm working 3 x 13 and a 1/2 hour shifts Fri/Sat/Sun. There must be a better way to make a living.

Interesting discussion on times and how they correspond over different distances. For what it's worth, I ran a 3.15 mara when my HM PB was 1.30. Now I've run a 3.11 mara off a 1.24 HM so it looks like there's considerable room for improvement over the longer distance.

23 miles last week + 1 day strenuous hillwalking + 2 days strenuous digging in the garden. Does that count as cross training?

Good luck to all with training and racing thjis w/e.
  • Options
    Can I be pendantic too :-)

The marathon is 26.21875 miles (those extra 33 yards will kill you every time)

This gives a 7.259023 m/m for a 3:14:59.
  • Options
    DD

I've always understood that long runs should be done at 90s per mile slower than marathon pace, or slower. It's supposed to be about time on your feet - as much about conditioning your mind to the rigours of the marathon distance as it is about building up the legs. In practice, and particularly when running with clubmates, I often find myself doing long runs too fast, so that they become another marathon pace run. Similarly, the official marathon pace run midweek is often more like a too-long tempo run. No discipline, that's my trouble.

I've got a 10k on Sunday, so I should have some idea where all this is getting me shortly!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    DD.. my 7:25 was allowing for that annoying piddle stop midst race!

Long run pace.. my V60 clubmate did his long runs about 20 secs per mile slower than his anticipated race pace. One of his runs was 23 miles @ 7:02 pace. Didn't do him any harm - he won his category in 2:55.

Conversely, I remember a chap on the forum who didn't do any speed work and ran very few races. His long runs were 4-4.30 hours steady. He broke 3 hours regularly.
  • Options
    4-4.30 HOURS LONG RUNS

!!

Sounds like one tough dude
  • Options
    Hang on there Wardi.
    Anyone doing 23 miles at 7:02 pace in training is well and truly on for a sub 3, which requires 6:52 pace. I'd say that the 2:55 was on the conservative side of his capability too.

As for the other chap, well I think that we're only hearing part of the story. Plod out a 4:30 once a week with little else to show for it and I predict that will be your pace on the day. I think that I'm in that plodding rut at the moment. Not enough miles to call it base training, not enough pace in the mix to call it quality.

Hard work required.
  • Options
    B******8 H@''
    Today's fell race fitted the bill then.

I'll sleep well tonight.
  • Options
    As predicted I struggled with yesterday's marathon partly due to the heat but greatly due to the lack of training. I still managed 3:43 though despite having only ran 10 times in the last 5 weeks which leaves me fairly optimistic of running a sub 3:15 having done the training, on a flatter course and in cooler conditions.

K9 - I'm with you - us girls need to stick together. I think I need to rethink my long runs too as they are so easy in training then on the day I am in agony from about 16 miles.

• Options
    hi all been away for a bit but am now back
    more eager than ever to run sub 3.15 next year

did the mabelthorpe marathon yesterday
    less said the better but it got me back into starting serious training

the plan now is to keep this base Ive built till end of year then increase the training

am going back to my schedule from 2005 which was the hardest training I have ever done but it produced the required result

so keep clear
  • Options
    CG, good effort off very little training have a little rest then get back into it. Respect to any racers on Sunday, it was very warm again and I can appreciate having raced last week in the heat how this can hit you hard.

TC, good to see you back.

Blisters, sage advice as ever, whatever ingredients you put in the stir fry influences the final outcome. Just training loads of slow miles = a fine ability to run a load of slow miles.

Long run pace debate: I use my HRM to keep to long run effort rather than a specific pace, sometimes find it hard to run 'slow' enough to do MP + 90 secs for example. So my aim is to keep an average at or below 70% for long runs whilst ocassionally upping the effort in the last few miles to test the fitness.
  • Options
    -after Boston i might start experimenting with a HRM, but i must admit I like being "free" to just run at perceived effort, according to breathing, leg tiredness etc., I' m kind of adopting a policy of nothing slower than 8m/m, but then I only run 3 times a week, so each sssion needs to be moderately hard. Pleased with Saturdays run ...15 miles at an average 7:49 m/m on tired, stiff legs, into a slight headwind and on an undulating route. Good tester and confidence builder. Got a couple of short races in the next couple of weeks (5 miler and 10k), then 10 miles and HM in Nobvember ...and then down to business training for Boston '07.

Well done CG, very impressive run under the circumstances.

Up at 45.20 for a 10k-ish tempo run this morning. Felt a bit lacklustre .. might be something to do with the binge drinking last night ...ooops!
  • Options
    Hi all, just dropping in. My training has gone well, as I am focussing on running the triple, three marathons in three days - see the thread on the tri / ultra forum. I managed 24 miles on Saturday, and 21 on Sunday. Mileage is hitting 50+ a week, and was above 60 last week as I pack in the back to back long runs.

Had a disappointing 10k the other week, 42 minutes in what was very humid, windy conditions on a wet and twisty course.

Still unsure which if any marathon to aim for a time at, as I am sure there will be ultras I choose to do as well. Currently a toss-up between Shakespeare and Copenhagen. Still not entered London yet! Will do the Clarendon Way offroad marathon as a slow training run on October 1st though.
  • Options
    Top mileage TMW!

20m in 2hr40 y'day but severe cramp towards the end, nearly fell off the towpath into the canal. Which would have been embarassing. Half mara this w/e at Ashbourne- anyone else in that neck of the woods?
  • Options
    50 miles for me last week and again the week before.
    That will be a callenge this week off a 2 fat zeroes start.

Looks like I need a quality long run...

They are the sort of thing where you look to do it at a hard pace, rather than a leisurely Sunday jolly.
  • Options
    Well, I shook of the cold pretty quickly through VERY light training, and was back up fopr my long run which I did on Saturday 21 miles in 3.02.49 to be precise. Nice and stewady and plenty left to push on a bit at the end. It was on Saturday because I had a Club League match on the Sunday where I was to run 1500 and one leg of the 4 X 100 relay. Yes indeed they WERE desperate!!! The long run the day before was not ideal preparation but Marathon training must take priority if I'm to get anywhere near 3.15 on 1st October. I hesitate to say this but I'm quietly confident, but then pride cometh before a fall so don't tell anyone I said so!!!
    TMW and Poacher, you sound like you are piling in the quality miles, stick at it and good luck with your up and comings!
  • Options
    TMW, impressive stuff, I know 3 local runners who did the triple last year, great respect for taking it on. Not only 3 marathons back to back but a couple of tough courses and some major travel as well! I guess your 10k would benefit from a sharpening period, but as you are heavily into ultra mode just now I suppose the kind speedwork you'd need is low on your priorities. Tough call to optimise at all distances simultaneously.

Aber, you must win most versatile prize on this thread, hate to think how my hamstrings would react to a 100m relay leg the day after a long run with a 1500m thrown in for good measure 8-0

• Options
    I'm kinda on holiday this week but still keeping up the training. Did a slow 18 miler on Monday - like you, Humph, I tend to use my HRM to gauge effort rather than speed. Still less than two months back into training after a long lay-off due to injury but at last I feel as though I'm getting there . . .
  • Options
    did my last long run at the wekend for budapest of 22 miles felt good. then did a club run last night got f##king blisters and a tweaked hamstring, oh the joys of running.looking at you guys i donot think i do enough miles in a week wery rarely over 40.
  • Options
    Poacher-good luck for Sunday.
    I wouldn'tworry about your mileage too much YM, I rarely get above 30 a week, maybe up to 35 in mara training mode.

Your training sounds like its going well Aberdonian, I'm quite jealous of you running Loch Ness, but I promised my wife I would only run one marathon a year, and to be honest its probably best for me.

I've got a club handicap race tonight ..haven't done one before. Slowest goes off first and everyone else plays catch-up according to their time handicap. Can't decide whether to go off hard from the start, or hang back a bit, let someone faster get past, then try and hang on to them. Its only meant to be a bit of fun, but hey, the old competitive beast in me is bound to make an appearance! Any advice?

• Options
    Thanks DD! I dont worry about mileage either, usually just make it to 20mpw and rarely much over. It has to be sustainable.
    I''ve just finished Pfitzinger/Douglas's book Advanced Marathoning, lots of interesting stuff but the schedules start at 55mpw so out of the question for me. Anyone actually followed this book?
  • Options
    I do run quite high mileage, but that's how I get my best results, and I have the time available to do it. As I'm focussing more towards longer events it makes sense too.

I'm also (I assume) a bit younger than most people on the thread at 24, not sure how much if any significance that has though.
  • Options
    TMW - lots of significance in my case! But ...I've only been running 2 and a bit years, so 25-30 miles a week is still enough to keep advancing my PBs by significant chunks. No doubt I will start having to crank the mileage up once my times start levelling out.

• Options
    OK Guys and girls...

I've posted my entry.

I've had a long run (half Yorkshireman at the weekend).

First 'speedwork' session on Tuesday night for twelve months(ish) Pulled up on the track last October when the recent long term injury run started). Four 400's at 81's each.

3 mile tempo with w/up & w/down tonight.

Running trip this weekend doing 50 plus miles of the Southern upland way.

Fingers crossed I can stay injury free.

Err...that's it!