Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options

Hail Hail

Joe - I seem to remember you had another problem on the canal on the day when you decided to try and keep up with me image.   ha Ha , sorry.  Havent seen you for a while (for the obvious reasons).  Glad to see the recovery is going well.

Nice to see everybody is doing well.

Legs were pretty mashed up after Edinburgh, but seem back to normal now.  ClydeStride training starts today.

ITS SUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Morning all

Off out for a run in a bit....looks like mixed sun and showers....knew I should have gone out earlier image.

Postie delivered shiny new trainers this morning, last years colour version of the Brooks I use, £48 from Amazon - total bargain image (oh, I'm sooooooo last year image, who cares, they fit and they're cheap!!). They can go in the cupboard until my others wear out.....which probably wont be long image.

Good luck for the hill race Tri chick, and Dumbarton people later in the week image.

Maryhill locks Joe, that brings back memorys imageimage, I often used to take the Kirkintilloch branch cos it tended to be quieter. Used to get more abuse on the bike tho generally than running, mostly neds with a bulldog on a chain, didnt understand that my gentle 'ping' of the cycle bell was a polite way to warn them I was coming, not throwing down the gauntlet for confrontation imageimageimage! Older male friend of mine got stones thrown at him on the Clydebank branch, cut his hand, reported to police, who told him to 'run somewhere else' imageimage...yeah, great thanks!!!

And on that note, I am off to the peaceful confines of Pollok Park imageimage!

Have a good day all.

• Options
    IJ - I saw a guy following me round pollok park on Sunday morning! might have been you!

RB don't rub it in - I have no break today - you at least get to see some of the morning in the sunshine!

Dumbarton for me on Thursday - looking forward to it

...oh and by teh way....all the marking is done!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Its strange with the neds. Once in Pollok park I spotted a group of them under the bridge that carries the M77 over the back edge of the park. They were loud and drinking. I was not sure about them and wondered whether to turn back but i carried on. As I passed one of them stepped in front of me and I started to panic image, but it turned out they wanted me to take a picture of them on one of their cameras lol imageimage They asked what I was training for, how far a I ran and were OK.
  • Options

Yeah, you never know with the neds....it can go either way, very unpredictable.....I usually just say hello, how you doing, or something like that. Its harder for them to knife you if you've had a conversation image.

The ones who just stare at you when you are running make me laugh though.....its like you're some kind of green skinned alien thats just dropped from the planet zog, it messes with their brains, man!!!

I was out for a plod in the snow the day after New Years Day, when Glasgow seemed full of hung-over / still drunk folks staggering bored around the streets. Two man-neds and a woman with a dog on a string were coming toward me. Woman looked sober, totally ignored me, two guys were off their faces holding a bottle of Buckie. They kind of stopped, pointed in dis-belief, kinda staggered a bit, then said 'Are you f***ing Jogging'...........'No', I replied, 'I'm f****ng Running' LOL. imageimage They probably figured I was some kind of psycho unhinged person running in the snow, therefore not worth the risk messing with image.

• Options
    Joe VolcanoJoe Volcano ✭✭✭

RB - just you wait, I was really flying along today!! imageimage

TP - re: police - love it. You should have asked them for some recommendations. Min requirements, no neds or loose Yorkshire terriers image

• Options

Never had a problem with neds on canal route, but i run from Haggs to Grangemouth so a bit different. Only ever run canal with my running buddy though as have a bit of a phobia about bodies popping up in the waterimage, not quite so ridiculous sounding from some of stories in papers recently, becoming a common occurence in the canal.

Tigerspaw- glad i'm not the only 'psycho unhinged person' who runs in the snow and have been known to swear at the odd cheeky little sh!t teenager too. My favourite bit of running in the snow is when you meet another runner and you both look at each other with a look that says ' thank f**k I'm not the only nutcase who goes out running in this' image.

TT ;0)

• Options
    Sunny in Dundee today; good run this evening (though on-call and had to stop and walk once when my phone rang).
    Good win for Andy Murray.
  • Options

evening.

ah I seem to be over my exhaustion. image still feeling much better at gym tonight. looking forward to tomorrows "race". Hoping to take a half day, get home and ready and drop the bike off. Fingers crossed, I do have a hospital appt at 2pm anyway and am due time back.

Well done on the marking Kirsty, must be a relief to get it done image

FFB, Ill look you up image

Back to flat hunting it is image

• Options
    glad you are feeling better tri image
  • Options

he he Joe, aye I know the winos you're talking about. although I think they're closer to Lambhill/Possilpark. I've seen them a few times and make no attempt to pretend they are fishing. they are simply getting wellied unashamedly. I usually get a 'gaun yersel big man!!' when passing them. Yeah I used to live right besid ethe botanic gardens so along kelvin walkway then along to Cleveden Hill was a regular for me. there are actually lots of good routes around there with varying degrees of undulation.

whoever it was who mentioned some neds just look at you like an alien, yep had that too. saw a particularly unfortunate looking pair of neds sitting on a bench drinking buckie in silence as I passed them. looked at each other with expressions that said 'ma brain hurts'. perhaps they were geniuses communicating telepathically but I very much doubt it.  

• Options

Loving the ned discussion. I may be in my 40s but my mammy still warns me not to run on the canal (around Bishopbriggs) after dark. My mate lives in one of the new canalside flats at Gilshochill and has some good tales of what the locals get up to after a wee refreshment. Better than the TV I'm sure.

When I lived in New Zealand people would express surprise that I'd run in the centre of our small town late at night. It must have had one of the lowest crime rates of anywhere I've lived and sometimes I'd see more possums than humans, but I guess locals everywhere have "heard stories". The Caledonian Canal has a very low ned co-efficient incidentally.

• Options
    Lovely weather for cycling up north today, though I was so worn out after 19 miles into a stiff breeze I fell asleep on the settee for 3 hours. Hence the late night posting.
  • Options

Morning

A longer run later. Disturbed dog and didn't want him barking all the time when I was out.image

Catch up time.

• Options

morning BM, you off today?

looking forward to hill run later image

just entered JogScotland 5k, Greaves 10k and Brian Goodwin 10k (Bellahouston Harriers).... skint now image

Wont be breaking 48 on the Greaves run image but apparently the BG one is fast and flat... I MUST break 48 mins image

• Options
    Morning Tri: No not off, very busy at work. Taking younger 2 kids to a club, so will run after drop them off before pick them up
  • Options
    cool BM, right bank balance depleted, Im off to get ready for work. Here's to me getting my half day today image
  • Options

Mainly provide:
    NFL Jerseys/NHL jerseys/MLB Jerseys/NBA Jerseys/Soccer Club Jerseys/NCAA Jerseys
    Contact US:
    my website

just have a visit ,sports lover.

• Options

57.5 - LOL

Its been a few year since I did greaves Rouken Glen 10k. Its a toughie. Can't manage this year either due to birthday activity. Should probably get back into doing some 10ks to help my speed.

Gym tonight for weights/strength and either some speed intervals or hill intervals.

• Options

oh, love a bit of spam in the morning.... don;t think i'll be clicking on that link though.

run was a stuggle this morning. only 5 miles but the last two were into the wind so mile times look a little funny!

not so many neds around our area, its more the dogs and not-so-bright owners that are the problem. encountered a little yappy thing on Monday when I was out running with Mrs LB. She's had a few bad encounters with dogs so I managed to get between us and the dog and I may have kicked a little higher every time it came near image it soon got the message unlike the owner who was 30 metres away walking slowing and calling ineffectually at the dog. image

• Options
    trichick, is that the Glasgow Green challenge one you've entered? Should be good for a fast time. Mind you the only time I've done it I went off too fast and blew up.
  • Options

Just have a visit, sports lover!

Hello,

I appear to be very fixated about getting a certain time tomorrow.  Gotta let it go, and just enjoy the experience - but how??  Also, I've never done a race at night before.  What should I eat during the day?  I'm assuming I don't get to carb load for this one.

Didn't go to the group last night.  An easy run on Monday turned into a "let's see how fast I can do 10K" run.  The answer - I can do 6.1 miles in 51.30.  Unfortunately, 10K is 6.2 miles, and I didn't realise that.  Arse.  Still, hopefully that can be pulled under 50... and back to the obsessing about times.  image  Did a run with someone from work yesterday morning, and can usually keep up pretty comfortably but felt absolutely knackered and was lagging behind.  A rest day today, then, I'd say.

I have had experiences of lovely people shouting things when I was running.  The canals always seemed the safer option in Birminhgam - though I'm not sure that they were.  Haven't tried up here.  Who needs canals when you have Europe's Poshest Park? (or whatever that sign in Pollok park says)

Hope you all had good days. 

• Options

Evening all

Busy day today......too much work, I want to be on holiday again!!! image

Good luck tonight Tri chick, not a bad night by the looks of things, although still windy image.

Ian - that Europe's Best Park title caused all sorts of consternation when it was first awarded, particularly as many foreign tourists looking at the PR brochures etc assumed 'Park' meant Amusement Park, not 'Country Park'. The award was actually given by an agricultural company - I think they make lawn mowers imageimage. Bit of a shock if you turn up expecting rollar coaster rides ala Alton Towers image.

Incidentally - talking of Brummie canals - my granny used to go swimming in the 'cut' at Willenhall in the 1930's imageimage....she either had guts of steel or presumably it wasnt as polluted back then, as shopping trolleys didnt exist imageimageimage. Still, all that heavy industry imageimage.....

TT - I know what you mean about the bodies thing - an ex-work pal of mine was married to a police diver - oh dear, oh dearie me....shotguns in cars, cars in quarries...probably the nicest things I can list on here image.

• Options

Oh, the "cut" - its a while since I've heard it called that.  Lived in Wolverhampton for 7 years - think I might have mentioned that on here before.

I presume the boats were still using it quite heavily at that point?  I'm going with the guts of steel angle!  

TP - there's a race from Wolverhampton to Birmingham in early July - Birmingham and Black Country Half Marathon - have you ever thought of it?  Got my slowest half time ever there... doing a race the weekend after a heavy festival isn't the best idea!

As for Pollok park - well, if a lawn mower company thinks its good...er....

• Options
    ToomaiToomai ✭✭✭
    Ned discussion reminds me when out running last winter, I passed a middle-aged respectable looking woman who shouted at top of her voice "Look, it's the fucking gingerbread man"
  • Options

Lol Ian - thought mention of the 'cut' might bring back memorys image. Wouldnt travel back down just for a Half, but in moments of insanity have been looking at that GUCR race, I think its called, B-ham canal to London, longest ultra in Britain, like 140miles or something.......like I said, moments of insanity imageimageimage!!

• Options
    Hope to see some of you at Dumbarton 10k tomorrow.

Getting quicker again... However, ran MoK half on Sunday as slow as I've ever run 13 miles - I blame the wind image
  • Options

Morning

Not a bad morning

All the best to those racing tonight.

• Options

morning image

ok so didnt race last night in the end!! the logistics of getting home then out to Old Kilpatrick were just too much hassle and it would have been really late getting home.and being up at stupid oclock put me off. Also I dont really want to knacker my legs before Greaves race on Sunday. (especially with THAT hill on Stewarton Road!!). There is another one next Wednesday @ Crow Rd, so will hopefully be doing that one instead.

Appt with endocrinologist yesterday. Very nice consultant, very thorough and felt like he really listened and went into depth about everything. Long and short of it - my back (from my accident) L2 in the lumbar spine appears to have evidence of "compression fracture" but appears to be healing itself. There also looks to be minimal displacement with the trauma (yeah thats why it was so blooming painful then imageimage) No concerns though, its healed/healing and I know it may take a while yet for the soft tissue to settle fully.  Bloods all fine.

Bone density scan showed no definitive osteoporosis in hips/spine but spine showing osteopenia bordering osteoporosis. Dr said that as obviously my bones are "as good as they'll ever be" (ie Im 30 now so all developing/growing is done image) its very possible that osteoporosis may develop in years to come. More bloods and another xray done and I await those results in a couple of weeks. Might need a course of HRT or some other dietary supplement but no urgent intervention at present thankfully. Waiting for these latest results and taking it from there. Doc asked me about exercise and when I explained he said "hmmm thats a LOT of exercise" image). No reason for me to stop though as long as Im feeling ok. (which I am now after a good rest!).
    Well seeing as I didnt run last night and took my usual rest day, (although it didnt feel like it with all the latter running around) think I'll head out now. Main consultant off today so hopefully wont be too mental. Shouldnt complain after my half day yesterday and at a study day tomorrow image

• Options
    oh yeah good luck Ally, Tricia and any other Dumbarton runners tonight image