Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Tracey
    You have given us the pace etc but do we need to add it up to get your finishing time?!!!!!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    My Garmin time 44:57.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

That sounds a very good time Tracey. Well done. It is looking good for your shorter racesimage 

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    My old pb was 46:06. So very happy.
  • Options

Good morning

5.09M; 1:03:28.4; 12:28/M;

1   12:20.4   1.00   12:20

2   12:24.9   1.00   12:25

3   12:48.2   1.00   12:48

4   12:50.2   1.00   12:50

5   12:18.7   1.00   12:19

6   0:46.1   0.09   8:29

7°C

Nifty start, lost it in the middle, perked up at the end. 7°C in June?

Quotable quote: I'm not competitive, I only beat those who are slower than me.  

al

• Options

Tracey - Hey you're getting fast, I won't be beating you any time soon.

al

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Morning

Well done Tracey thats a great improvement image

I have cycled home extended route 6.75 miles quite lovely out a little windy but aint complaining sun was out and it was quite nice

• Options

good morning

Tracey
    excellent result - all the hard work is paying off. AND dipping under 45 min as wellimage 

Pammie
    extended route home  The test will be if that is still viable/desirable in the winter !!

aws
    6C!!! - perfect running conditions image 

Ceal
    well for running for fun that was not too bad an effort yesterday - however I am not sure if it lets you off intervals tomorrowimage

Laid the trail for the evening run in cool afternoon cloud - just over 6 miles with OS map in one hand and bottle of flour in the other (to mark the trail - not baking!!) 
    Went home, changed, did exercises and then returned to run just over 4 miles as I didn't have to do any of the false trails, back arrows etc in lovely warmth and a pleasant setting sun over the Burn Valley. Whole trail was on footpaths and open, but hilly, fields. Got back to pub and it started to rain - perfect timing!! still rainingimage

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

TS
    Perfect timing indeed. I am wondering what this setting sun was last pm though. Although I do have to say we have something yellow in the sky this morning. You are obviously feeling better. I am going to the RS tomorrow, so will escape the 400'simage.

Tracey
    that is a brilliant pb.imageimageimage

Well it seems that I did make the correct decision on Monday pm, apparently the roads were gridlocked due to several areas of local flooding and that information was only for the last 40 mins of the journey never mind about the other 1hr 10 mins.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Ceal - good decision, then.

Tracey - congratulations on new PB - and such a decisive one - though perhaps you have to wait for the official time?

TS - lol at "all fur coat and no knickers", a phrase I don't think I've come across before. Must admit it brings to mind a Lady of the Night rather than a pretentious meal.

BTW, have now discovered that Fleurie is a wine. I thought it was some fancy little something that came on the same plate as the lamb.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

I am recovering from last night's run, which was cross-country with the running club. Between 7 and 8 miles altogether; under trees, over stiles, through long grass, splashing through squelchy boggy bits, and a few stretches on roads between one bit of off-road and the next. Tottered home, stiff, sore and aching, and (as I later discovered) with a blister on one toe. Was wearing Innov-8s, and though I've worn them before, not often and probably only for shorter runs than this one. 

I'm sure it's all very good for me. Core muscles, innit?

I was by far the slowest of the group (though one was recovering from Man v. Horse at the weekend, and was a lot slower than she usually is) but every now and then a little group detached itself from the front, ran back, and turned round behind me to bring up the rear for a while.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Columba
    That sounds like a very pleasant group of ladies that you run with. I would imagine the sore toe will have something to do with wet socks and shoes as well as extended distance. That is the only time I get blisters on my feet when running, or walking for that matter. Does the Club always do x-country runs whatever the time of year. Or is Tues pm the day for this type of course?   

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Columba - am so glad that you are enjoyed your new club. It will be so much more fun a races being part of a club.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Got to wait until tomorrow afternoon for the official results image

New 5 mile goal has to be a sub 44:00 mins as 44:10 gives me a 60% age grade.
  • Options

Tracey
    that's the wayimage!! 

Columba
    sounded a pretty tough outing particularly if you are not over used to that sort of terrain. It will take a good few weeks to get used to that sort of workout. One of hte advantages of the Hash trails is that runners of very varying ability are kept together by the various false trails, back arrows etc without anyone feeling obliged to have to run back to the slower runners - they have to!!!!!
    All fur coat and no knickers was cerrtainly a fairly common saying oop North  - aal furr koat an nee nicks - indicating someone, normally female, that pretended to have a standard of living somewhat above the necessary income to support it image 
    Now that you have found out what Fleurie is you will have to try itimage

Ceal
    can't believe you switched your day image
    Actually I have a pair of stiff knees today - too many b*stard hills last night - my fault as I set the trail!! so I may do something different tomorrow as well - but not as taxing as a RS session!!
    The sun was peeping through a blanket of cloud but looked very pretty indeed against the surrounding grey!!

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Tracey, very well done for your 5M PB.

Just a reminder for anyone who missed the excellent "Borgen" first time round - it's being repeated from tonight. If you can't believe a subtitled programme about Danish coalition politics could be so addictive, do give it a try.

I've entered an off-road half-marathon a week on Sunday, starting near Alnwick castle and using trails round the estate. Could be challenging as I haven't run that distance even in training since early December.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Good Morning,
    Sounds like your weather has improved somewhat.

ceal,
    Good luck with your RS session.

TS,
    How does a Hash run work, is it just follow the trail and drink beer or is it more complicated than that?

Columba,
    xcountry running is hard on the ankles and takes a bit to get use to. I managed to rip the tendon out of the bone on both sides of my ankle 20 years ago running xcountry. I spent a month in plaster.

An easy 5k done today. The temperature was a much improved 20c.

Mick 

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Aint life strange 2 weeks ago following an all nighter i struggled to do a couple of miles Today raring to go Did 3 miles with hills got near home looked at watch 28:11 wondered could i get home in under 30 minutes. Gave it some welly, Got home in 29:55

I'd give you splits but Garmin wouldnt pick satellites till about 2:15 into run but this is what Garmin said

12:23 (so prob 10:10ish)
    10:04
    7:27 (9:28 pace)

Hills end of mile 2/3rd mile used ams to move faster thenlast hill left me with about 0.2 miles to go s countinued with more welly

• Options

imageGetting back into regular running again since only 2 miles done on Friday.  Followed that with a 6 miles on Saturday but missed doing the 5k parkrun this time.

Monday made it an interval day with 6 x 400m.
    0.25m....2m.07s...8.28 pace
    0.25m....2m.06s...8.31
    0.25m....2m.09s...8.32
    0.25m....2m.07s...8.32
    0.25m....2m.11s...8.42
    0.25m....2m.08s...8.29
    Total miles 5.8

Today a hilly session.  First a 1 mile warmup over the undulating x-c/trail followed by the short hill intervals.
    It was only a short hill but fairly steep so speed didn't come into it. Wanted to do this to start to strengthen leg muscles, partly inspired by Julian's book image
    Shan't list the boring bits of details but it comprised 10 x 0.10m up and 10 recoveries down.  Then a trek for 0.4mile across a field where the grass on trail was as high as 2 foot before joining the easier trail for  a couple of short hill climbs for 0.6 mile which led to the edge of the country park.  Finished with 1.3 mile fartlek.
    Total mileage 5.3
    I was amazed how so very quiet it was,  didn't see a single soul until the return to the roundabout layby.  

Tracey,
    Very well done on your 5m pb.

TS,
    You seem to enjoy sorting the hash runs out.  Lucky you, seeing the sun, we ain't seen much of it ere.   Mind you, a lot of folks will be saying the sameimage

Ceal,
    That was a bu%%er not being able to do those track races the other evening due to the abyssmal weather effects.  June is not busting out all over. Jetstream get back on track at north end of UK please  image

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Pammie - I've entered Brentwood 10k as well.
  • Options

good morning

Graham
    as I remember it the grouds around Alnwick Castle can be quite undulating - lots of small ups and downs - good luck!!
    Hopefully the re run signals the forthcoming start of the second series of Borgen 

Mick6
    yup that's about it - follow the trail and drink beer image
    It depends how good the person is who lays the trail and the grouind over which one runs. If there are lots of check points with optional trails where one has to seek out the correct one, false trails where a turn round is required, back arrows where one has to run to the last person in the pack and then run back to the front (some of these can involve running an additional 0.25 mile or more!)  and various other devices it can result in a faster runner doing 50% more than the slowest runner. Typically I may run 6 miles compared to say 3+ miles by the slowest. Because one doesn't know the route or distance beforehand it can be quite taxing  up front but relatively easy for those who want it to be and everyone finishes close together.

On Tuesday I only drank lime and sodaimage

Pammie
    your streak is paying off

Impey
    I see you have been seduced into the 400m intervals as wellimage. Very consistent pace throughout. 
    Tough hill session - that repeated for soem weeks will give you a big boost.
    reminds me I am nearly fit enough to start on hill reps myselfimage

• Options

It's Thursday, so it is 0.25m interval day (despite Ceal sneaking off to RSimage

I felt quite lively as I ran the 1.3 miles in 11:05 (8:41m/m) to my interval path so I determined to run the first one slow, even though it was downhill, in order to  keep them under control. Usual 60 sec passive recoveries

1 1:34:6 (6:34m/m) avhr 125 max 145 - not that slow idiot!!!
    2 1:41:8 (6:54m/m) avhr 139 max 157 - but it made the return easier
    3 1:30:8 (6:20m/m) avhr 138 max 155
    4 1:39:6 (6:48m/m) avhr 145 max 160 
    5 1:29:0 (6:18m/m) avhr 142 max 161
    6 1:40:7 (6:38m/m) avhr 145 max 164
    7 1:28:1 (5:55m/m) avhr 146 max 162
    8 1:39:5 (6:43m/m) avhr 149 max 166

2.4 mile cool down in 21:03 (9m/m) with avhr 136 and a max at the start of 153!! Included Hipps Hill 

felt pretty good throughout - the slower pace over the first two enabled me to be much more consistent over the whole set and I actually ran the last two in the fastest times for down and up. Also meant that I could push my upper lactate level right up as fatigue did not limit periormance, hence the four intervals where maxHR >160bpm.

Of course it is in a light week of running so legs were fresh but I will take any encouraging signs I can findimage

• Options

I was paid a compliment this morningimage!!

A heavily pregnant woman who I often see slowly walking her dog, and who always says hello as we pass, was on the path.
     I passed her twice on the path and she caught up with me as I recovered after interval 6. She said "I would just like to say that I think you are marvellous running like that" I gasped some thanks and muttered "You should see me when I am finished" but she just laughed as she walked on.
    Intervals 7 and 8 were the fastest............................................

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    My official time for Tuesday race 45:00. That was my goal. New goal sub 44 mins
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

TS - looking at those speeds, I think you're marvellous too. BTW, what are "passive" recoveries? Not just standing still? 

And yes, I will look out for Fleurie. Preferably when my brother is visiting. I don't like having to dispose of a whole bottle of wine on my own.

Ceal - the running club is not just ladies. In fact, the bloke who was in overall charge of Tuesday's run made a point of running with me for a while early on, asking if I was all right, and basically checking whether I minded being on my own - I assured him I was fine as long as I didn't lose sight of the rest of the group completely. I think I've fallen on my feet with this club.

I don't know whether it's likely to be X-C every Tuesday. We get an email sent round once a week telling us of times and venues (local to me, Tuesdays; Rhayader, Thursdays; long x-C run Rhayader Sunday mornings), so I shall wait and see how things unfold. X-C probably better done in a group than alone, since if one person got injured or tangled up in some barbed wire there would be others to help; running alone on roads, someone would undoubtedly be along sooner or later and could pick one up if one was in a crumpled heap. Though of course, they might just think one was drunk, and "pass by on the other side".

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Graham - I don't know Alnwick Castle (is it pronounced Annick?) but sounds as though it may be a scenic route.

Pammie - 3 miles, with hills, in under 30 mins, sounds brilliant... Planning a 5k at all in the near future?

I ran just over 9 miles earlier today. LSR - Julian G says the "S" should stand for "steady" rather than "slow", but in my case it could have stood for either. The rubbish and recycling was being collected in the north end of the town, and as I was running along the pavement towards the vans and collection men, one of the men opened his arms wide with a broad grin on his face and ran towards me. "What am I going to do if he keeps this up?" I wondered, but he dropped his arms and stood by to let me pass.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Tracey - well done on achieving your goal. On exactly achieving it, what's more.

• Options

Evening all

Quickly................ I'm off to time-keep at the club nadicap tonight.

Tracey

BIG congratulations on achieving your goal time.

Columba
    The Rhayder RC lot were lovely when we went out on runs with them.. There was a woman called Janet (I think!) who owns/manages the outdoor pursuits centre at Elan valley. Say hello from me (J from Thornbury). Lovely peole and fabulous area to run in. very jealous.

Me ............. not running yet but planning comeback soon. Walk/run, etc. Swimming getting better but overdid it slightly on Tues and am feeling the effects. I'm sure it will strengthen the muscles around my knee because today they are the ones that don't want to move. PTOTY has massaged them this aft so all should be ok tomorrow.

All for now.

xxx

• Options

Tracey
    that was very mean of them - sub 45 sounds sooooo much better than 45 deadimage !!

Columba
    9 miles after your xcountry excursion is really pushing the boat out - shows how much your endurance has improved.
    Yes it is pronounced Annick in the local venacular - a spectacular castle now inhabited by a titled couple referred to as Lord & Lady Greedy by the locals due to the amount of money they have wrung out of various lottery funds & grants to pay for improvements and visitor attractions!!!

Thank you nicely image !!
    Passive recoveries are exactly that - just slow walking, sweating, trying to stand up straight and get one's breathing back under control.
    I was nearly tempted to try for 10 intervals but my marvellousness ran outimage 

You could always try drinking the Fleurie over two nights - it will keep if the cork or a stopper is put in!!

• Options

K2
    hi - good progress on the kneeimage