Options

Paris Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    *lol* I was asking myself that all the way home.  I'm not sure how well my stopwatch finger works with gloves on, although with a whole winter in front of me I guess I'll have to find out at some point.
  • Options
    Sounds like a gloveless stopwatch finger may not work properly if it's frozen into a claw-like position any way...
  • Options
    I get a disproportionate number of emails from RW compared to the number of actual posts on this thread. disappointing! i need something to distract me from neuroscience...
  • Options
    Is that why brain surgeons always seem to operate with music on? Thats worrying me a bit Victoria: I would have learned this but I was distracted by chatting to a bunch of runners online........... image
  • Options
    I've noticed that for a while about getting far too many emails to tell me about sometimes no new posts.  I've just started a thread in the website bug reporting section so who knows maybe it might get fixed.  It does add to the charm of RW though don't you think?
  • Options

Hi all!

I went for a run with the club last night and everyone seems to be full of cold (including me annoyingly!).  At one point myself and one other were going up the last hill sounding like we smoke 50 a day and have never got up from the sofa!!!  Missed Bedford last weekend because of the cold image  We had a curry afterwards so that has helped clear me out (of cold I mean!!!!!!!). 

I had a nice email from the folk who organised the Pembroke marathon.....they asked me to be their 'featured athlete' image

www.endurancelife.com then go to featured athlete!!!  They were ever so nice and have given me free entry into another race.  I was going to opt for the place in a race voucher and give it to my Mum for Xmas but I don't think she would have appreciated that!!!!!

Hope you're all training well, despite the orrible cold weather!

• Options
    Great article Ribs.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Yeah, Ribs! Our thread's got a celebrity. image

Are you going back to do the 100kms at Millau? That's the bridge, right? How long do you expect to wait to do the Sables? I can hardly believe there's a quesue of people waitingto do it...lol..Good for you!

*Barry and Victoria, I turned the ' e-mail notification' thing off because I was getting buried under them...although it's always nice to get mail...*

• Options
    I can't find the thread without the email link image
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    image Bookmark it, V.
  • Options

Hello all - Not been on here for ages, clearly as I'm not doing Paris this year.

Well done Ribs.  Can't see you as featured athlete though, can only see Mr November.  How do I see your report?

Done over 101K on 3 different Gym disciplines today, legs are killing now image

• Options

Well done Ribs.

A very good read and quite articulate.

I only came on here to brag and bloody Daz has spoilt it.image

Well done on the 101k mate.I'll go away and try a bit harder before i even think about bragging.

• Options
    Gr8 article RIBS !! Respect I say
  • Options
    ah go on you can brag! everyone's acheivements are in relation to them selves and also, i am nosy image
  • Options

Sorry Howeyz - come on tell us all your news as well!

Am a bit stiff this morning in places.

Can someone also help me out and tell me how to see Ribs' report - desperate to read it!

• Options
    it's there! if yo click the "featured athlete" square under the main picture then miss december comes up top of the list.
  • Options

Just tried it again, can still only see Mr November.  Maybe Ribs' picture is too saucy for my filtered works internet connection. image

Will try from home on the weekend.

• Options
    I'm trying to find a post someone made after last years PM. In it he described a series of do's and don'ts that were really funny, I was just wondering if anyone's bookmarked it or knows which thread it was?

• Options

daz1927,

Your company probably uses Proxy Servers, so site is cached. Try opening link, and doing a Ctrl+F5 to reload page image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I think it was Treiziste, J3ff. Sorry, I didn't keep it.

Which reminds me...where is our self-declatered M***? T, according to your new scheme, you should be skinny- as -whippet and clocking up miles and miles. How's it going?

Through a daft combination of opportunities, I swam, cycled, ran and did aerobics on Tuesday and my legs are like lead.  *You can add that to the list of things not to do, J3ff. *

I'm with Victoria, H. Brag away. Are you going to enter the RW competition to be individually trained?

• Options
    j3ff, i'm positive it was Graham threads in the legs,had a look back but couldn't find the old thread.
  • Options
    What's a self-declatered M***?  We new girls need to know.  Mint? Mute? Minx? Mate?
  • Options
    Hahaha !! Found it!! Wow this brings back loads of memories and thanks Caroline, it was GLITs.

"Hell it was hot in Paris. Hadn’t set myself any target except to try and be within 4 hours. Got to the 30K point (18.6 miles) and was on schedule to run 3:45 - that's when the heat really started to take its toll – no matter how much I drank (and it must have been a total of around 2 to 3 litres) I was overheating badly and feeling more weary than I ever have done in any previous marathon.

The brief cold showers courtesy of the hoses rigged up around the course were total ecstasy(better than sex!). I found the last 8 miles very tough - littered with runners who had either collapsed and were receiving medical attention or who had been forced to stop – scores of people were walking which made it very difficult to make progress at times. Decided at 20 miles to conserve what little I had left and with London in 7 days time slowed to a shuffle and finished in just over 4 hours (my worst ever finishing time).

Here’s a quick guide as to what not to do before, during and after the Paris marathon (or any marathon come to that).

Things not to do before running the Paris marathon:

- Put in insufficient training

- Do your last long run (21 miles) 6 days before the event

- Drink any alcohol within 48 hours of the start

- Hanky panky (I should know by now)

- Spend two and a half days sightseeing in and around Paris (including 330 steps up and down the Arc de Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower)

- Still be sitting in the Italian bistro on Ave Grand Armees at 11:45 p.m. on the night before the start knowing that you have to be getting up in less than 6 hours time.

Things not to do during the Paris marathon:

- Get into the wrong starting zone

- Go off too quickly (first 1K in 4:04 - ridiculous!)

- Run on the sunny side of the street (to try and top up the suntan)

- Think to yourself at 10K “well this all seems to be going rather well”

- Miss out a drink station

- Drink too much at subsequent drink stations (to make up for the ones you missed out on earlier)

- Over-hydrate (with predictable results)

- Tread on any of the fruit skins discarded by other runners at the feed stations

- Be tempted by any of the wine or cider stops (seriously!)

- Get stuck in the slow lane behind the myriads of people who after 30K have decided to walk the rest of the way

- Get in the way of any ambulances

- Get in the way of any one about to collapse or throw up

- Run into imbecile spectators who think it’s okay to stand in the middle of the road taking photographs.

- Forget to smile as you cross the finishing line

Things not to do immediately after the Paris Marathon:

- Sit down

- Try and negotiate any steps, stairs, steep kerbs (or in my case a small fence)

- Try and cross the road quickly (even on an effing pedestrian crossing) to prevent being run over - French drivers just don’t care

- Fail to hold on to something solid (e.g. an item of heavy furniture or similar) whilst stepping out of or into your underpants, shorts, trousers etc

- Drink two pints of Carlsberg.

I can barely bring myself to contemplate running London in 6 days time (but it is only Monday).

@;-)"

Thanks for that Graham It still makes I laugh.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hey, Treiziste, you little minx, you... Can I publish your photograph? Otherwise, it's gonna stick...

There's actually another runner on our list called ' minx', Artful Turkey but she's been very quiet. Are you still running, minx? Are you going to do the Paris Half in March? Can you get me  job-in-Paris? image

I agree, J3ff.Solid advice from Graham.

• Options

Brag away H...

Atm, Marathon of the sands is full way in advance.  I can't believe how popular it is either!!!!  I'm on the list for 2009 incase a place comes free.  Please keep your fingers crossed that one doesn't image  Do you know Millau then?  The bridge is built by the same guy that built the gherkin apparently.  It's pretty impressive and Millau was so lovely (not just because I could get off my bike!!!!).

Daz, it's not that kind of Miss December....or at least that's not what they told me image

I went on the treadmill this morning but the cold won so think I'm going to write this week off in terms of proper training!

J3ff....that bought back hot memories and they were not good ones image  I really hope the weather stays relatively normal this time round!

• Options

OK, so I'm joining the thread miles later than everyone else but I'm here. I've managed to get through the first 30 pages or so of the forum but I figured it was time to stop reading and start joining in.

Just booked the hotel this evening after reading the forum. I booked this one from the forum,

[u]http://www.hotels-emeraude.fr/hotels/plaza_etoile/us_presentation.htm[/u]

is anyone else actually staying here? I stayed in the Ibis Cambronne ( I think ) the last time. It was fine, nothing exciting. I stayed there because a lot of runners from the forum were staying there. However going up and down the Metro steps after the marathon nearly killed me. Happy to have booked something near the start this time.

Have only done one marathon, Paris 2004 and was beyond ecstatic to finish in 4h28 in pretty perfect conditions. Turned to triathlon and my running which was never exactly fantastic deteriorated as I suffered injury for about a year and then I just became more and more inventive with my excuses not to go running. So this year I decided I needed to motivate myself and I had a friend who wanted to do her first marathon so we both signed up for Paris 2008.  

Is there some kind of Runners World pasta get together the night before? We had one in 2004. One of the runners, Rach, lived in Paris and booked about 20 of us into Pizza Pino, an Italian restaurant on the Champs Elysées and it was brilliant to meet up with a bunch of like minded people the night before and the food back in 2004 was good too. I ended up running the first 16 miles or so of the marathon with an Australian girl who had been on the forum. Made the marathon fly by for me.

My entry is Orca 39414 Green (Sorry, couldn't find the most recent list to add it to).

Think I might have beena bit ambitious putting in a Green Bib, will most likely be running closer to the pinks.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hi, Orca. Welcome to the thread.  *My copy of the list is not up to date but I've added your details. Can anyone complete it?* Good to hear you've put injury behind you and will be with us.I'm in the ' ambitious' green pen, too.

Barnsleyrunner

Hilly

Robert 3062 (Red)
    PhilPub 3254 (Red)
    B Rubble 7070 (Yellow)
    Dark Vader 7171 (Yellow)
    Graham 12142 (Blue)
    Nathan 12155 (Blue)
    Park Laner 12376 (Blue)
    Barry 12868 (Blue)
    Economical Runner (13235) Blue
    Grant Cunningham (13390) Blue
    Straitjacket (13358) Blue
    Barry Knaggs 14168 (Blue)
    Ribs (Rowena) 14132 (Blue)
    Adie14507(Blue)
    Shiva (Blue)
    TW 17986 (Blue
    ll (Blue)gulp!
    Burner 24421 (Purple)
    J3ff 24291 (Purple) going for sub 4 this time!!
    IWDI 24433 (Purple) - with 69 Litre water tank and bus pass
    OutFoxed 24016(Purple)
    Boyler 24474(Purple)
    Jimbus 24085 (Purple)
    haggisinlondon (24889) Purple
    Tutu Much 28799 (Purple)
    Twosorefeet (33372) Green
    ATM 32094 Green ( former Pink with go-faster-stripes)
    minxinparis (33263)Green
    Victoria 38240 (Green)
    Artful Hen 39292 (Green)
    Angelique 38805 (Green- colour of Hope they say!!!).

Orca 39414
    Treiziste 42050 Pink (Very manly shade of with glitter...)
    Caroline 42081 Pink (I like Girly Pink)
    Ms Plod 42108 (Rose)
    Weegie 42123 (Pink)
    Mrs Weegie 42134 (Pink)
    Meysey Man (43201) Pink
    Dalesgirl (43656) Pink
    Redruth (43806) Pink

Riel Carolasics_nevJezza_BHalo

Scott S

I won't make a pre-race meal but expect to be around on the Sunday evening. A few of us met in personlast year and it was great to put faces to names/training plans image   
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    oops....Made a bit of a mess of that. Help, Caroline!
  • Options

Bonjour Everybody.

I'm afraid i haven't done anyhing near as good as Daz.

I only wanted to say i'd started my training program Monday and did 12.6 Monday,5 Tuesday and 8 Wednesday.I was quite pleased with the level of enthusiasm i'd got.I'm trying to do 50+ miles this week and then follow the program properly.It's got me down to do 32 this week but i wanted to get infront so to speak.I've even done a run before work!!

I'm sure i'll get a bit fed up with the training over the next couple of months but it's a good start.

Almost forgot to add i'm running quicker as well.That Paula Radcliffe had better watch out.

• Options
    Hi Orca a pre-race meal on the Saturday night would be great as would meeting up at some point after the race on the Sunday.  Does anyone know Paris well enough to suggest somewhere to go on either day?  This will be the first time I'll have been in Paris so my knowledge is slightly limited.