Options

Inspire "Elders"

Comments

• Options

Good for you Cabbey - I still have 2 months of non-running so I'm sure I'll have to start with alternate run/walk. Next Saturday we're going to a 5km run or walk, OH plans to run with Nemo and I shall walk it with Charley as he's not allowed to run yet either (too young). I thought it's only a small event but after checking online I am staggered to see last year there were 978 runners, 757 walkers and more than 70 dogs! It's the 5th year of the event, in support of reducing drug and alcohol abuse.

• Options
    Fantastic BI... It sounds fab. And walking will definitely help ready for when you're ready to run. Unfortunately I wasn't even able to walk for most of this year. It's been a terrible 9 months or so
  • Options

Hi Cabbey, I've not been running much, but I have been trying to climb and play squash once a week (which works most weeks) and I even got on the treadmill when I got in tonight to 'earn' my apple crumble image.  My knees are shot though so no long distances for me anymore (not that I ever went really far, but you know what I mean). Unfortunately the 3% fat I lost on holiday seems to have crept back on, not quite all of it, but most, so I'm making a concerted effort to fight it...we'll have to see how long that lasts!

Good to see that you're back on it again...those distances are creeping up slowly.  I've been reading your blog and it's good to see that you're taking it steady.

Good for you too BI, the walk sounds fun (for you, anyway.  I'm terrified of dogs so it would be my idea of hell image).  Cabbey's right, it'll give you a headstart when you get back to the running again.  Although don't go being tempted to head off too fast with the runners!!

• Options

No problem there, the walkers start 15mins ahead of the runners. What is going to be interesting will be seeing both  how Nemo takes to us going off on our own and later how Charly likes his friend overtaking!

• Options
    Sounds like a nice event BI. Will you be able to start running when Charly can? Might be a nice way of you both starting off gently, both of you starting a new journey together image How is your hip now?

Must admit I always get a bit apprehensive when running past dogs as I keep thinking my leg turns into a lump of meat, like the Tom and Jerry cartoons, which they want to take a bite out of image

Cabbey great to see you running again image

Pegg you've run a marathon, which is a long way, so you can stop that!!! Mmmmm apple crumble, any left for me? image
  • Options

Yes, I plan for Charly and I to start running together - he shouldn't really go far until he's at least 7 months old so that will be mid-December, coincides nicely with my "first" running steps. But I must admit it will be nice when I can take Nemo on a 20km run in the woods again.

My hip is fine, thanks, occasional twinges but no real pain. I'm glad I had the op.

• Options

I'm home!!  Budepest was fabulous, I will have to go back again to see ever thing I missed! The food was great and sooo cheap, well worth a vsit.

Ok down to business, a sort of race report.... I planned to run a good 10 miles with Minardi as I was planning to take in all the sites.  Unfortunately at the start I really needed the loo but decided to wait till the race started and go at the first available portaloo. I think I managed about 3/4 miles and saw a Burger king and dived in there, leaving MInardi. When I finished, I thought don't push it, I will catch Minardi up, which I did and then decided to carry on at my own pace as I was feeling good. At the 12 km I saw MR T, then I saw Odie (who was running the 30km) running in the opposite direction, I worked out that she was probably 1/2 km ahead of me and shouted at her that I would catch her up!

• Options

it took me about 5km to catch her, we had a quick conversation and I carried on. The course was a lot of out and backs, so I saw Minardi and Odie a few times. There was a group of Brits with union jacks on the course and they were brilliant support. I passed the half way in 2hr 2mins and was having a good time until mile 23, then I started feeling it,but was determined not to walk. I slowed down quite a bit until I realised that I only had  1 1/2km to go and got my head down. I crossed the finish in 4hrs 10 mins. I was pleased as it was a pb but then thought if I had stopped messing around and got my head down from the start it would have probably been a sub 4hr....so now I have unfinished business!!!!

• Options
    Well done RP amazing time image
  • Options

Well done RP!

I've entered an Olympic triathlon, 12th May 2013 - that will give me 5 months to get back to fitness - I can of course manage the 1500m swim anyway, but have to start cycling again and once I can run, work back up to being able to complete the 10km. Optimistic, that's my middle name!

• Options

sounds like your on the right road BI

• Options

Great time RP...and one to beat the way you're going! image  How did Min get on?  I've not seen a report or a time anywhere....

Good luck building up slowly BI - that's a big challenge you've set yourself.

Hi Q and Sberry, I hope you're both well?  No running to report from here - I've been travelling around a fair bit with work again, and ended with a bad stomach too, so didn't like to chance it image.  I'm going to do some shopping cross training this morning, and tomorrow looks like a day of digging image

• Options

The run and walk event today was very nice, Charly was an absolute star, friendly to everyone, met lots of other dogs and didn't bark once. He set off on the walk like an Olympian, seemed determined to overtake everybody, we didn't but managed to finish fairly near the front in just over 35 mins, pleased with that although I suspect the 5k wasn't really 5km. I'd have expected to finish closer to 40mins - but then I was being pulled along by a dog! OH and Nemo ran and finished about in the middle of the pack so they did well too. Nemo is very hyper before, but once running he keeps the same pace all the way and ignores anyone passing. Free T-shirts to all participants, those with 2 legs anyway!

• Options

Sounds like you all had a great time BI.  Mind you, 5km in 35mins?  That's hardly a walk...that's my time for a good run if I push it ha ha!!  Well done.

• Options

Hello all

RP - well done on the mara...amazing timeimage

BI - the run and awlk sound great..well done!

Pegg  hope you feel better today..enjoy the digging!

Cabby - great to see you getting back into the runnning.

I have been doing some running, only short disctsnces, 6.5 yesterday the longest run for months. I have been doing some rowing, joined the local rowing clube with two of my chidlren and enjoying doing something different! My oldest daughter is 18 today, so a day of celebrating and woondering where the time has gone. Middel daughter is making progres, still not well enough to go to school but heading in the right direction!

Have a great day everyoneimage

• Options

Pegg - my 5km PB is 23:20 so the walk was well outside that!

We were asked to take Charly with us last night to a friend's retirement celebration because our host hadn't seen him yet, he is unbelievably well behaved for only 5 months old and tucked down on the floor by us where he could keep an eye on the two golden retrievers begging food on the opposite side of the room. Of course he got a lot of petting, and the waitress brought him a bowl of water and a couple of biscuits. He really has a wonderful temperament.

• Options
    Pegg Minardi did a DNF, I don't think her head is in a good place as far as racing is concerned.

I did GER today 1.51hr, really pleased considering I was running on tired legs

BI it sounds like you had a good walk,some times it's nice to go at a slower pace!

MWW slowly but surely with the running

The OH is on the P.C at the mo looking for another marathon for the beginning of next year. I think he is going to try to rope me in for it..... Help!!!!
  • Options

I'm hunting for 2013 triathlons but they're hard to find, the official list isn't out until December.

• Options

Oh no!  I hadn't realised that RP image.  I don't like to think of a 'not happy' Min image.  Good GER running from you image.

I had planned on going for a run tonight but I was so hungry I opted for dinner instead (I don't have time for both image).  But I'll be burning a few calories playing squash tomorrow lunchtime and will have to race straight into a meeting afterwards so I won't have time to eat...so double calorie deficit!

• Options

Being my normal optimistic self, as well as the Kaiserslautern Olympic triathlon in June I've just entered the Vichy Half-Ironman, France (1 September).

• Options
    You sound like me BI.... Ever the optimist! I'm booked into Cayman marathon in December, Llanelli 40 miler in February, Connemara 40 in April and The Wall 69 miler in June... And my current long run is 11 miles image

We can do it imageimage

Huge congrats on the PB RP... And how did Sandy get on?

Sounds like you deserve the calories Pegg image

Good running to you too MWW, and I noticed from FB that Q is doing well too.

I'm back to having HUGE trainer issues. I now have 2 pairs of road shoes that are no good and have just ordered another that may have to go straight back. Because of my forefoot issues I now need a pair of shoes with a low profile from heel to toe (about 4mm).... Any tips on what to get would be gratefully recieved. At the moment my only good ones are Salomon trail shoes which ill be using for the foreseeable! I'm even considering binning the orthotics because of the heel lift!
  • Options
    Cabbey sorry can't help with the shoes, I had issues as well and went back to Nike air Pegasus, now control Mortons with pain killers. Mr RP did 3hr 6 min at Budepest and 1 hr25 min at GER both peebees.

UI you go girl, I have been to Kaiserslauten because Ramstein is on the door step and went to visit the Americans for a weekend!

Back to Tri training this week with renewed vigor or is that rigar Morris?
  • Options

RP - I work in Kaiserslautern! Next time you pop over to Ramstein let me know and we can meet up somewhere.

• Options
    I hope I've resolved the shoes .... I'm currently wearing hoka one ones. I know they aren't for everyone as they have 2.5 times the cushioning of a normal trainer, but I've just ran a mile (oh yes... No walking!) Get meimage and they felt amazing. I just hope that feeling continues. Sometimes you have to do a few miles before you can guage it properly.

Brilliant about Mr RP... Fantastic. You two are unstoppable image
  • Options
    Cabbey not quite sure about unstoppable,suffering with the calf tonight, after I stupidly went and done 6 miles today. Me thinks cycling and swimming for a couple of weeks is in order. I hope the shoes are right.

UI I may take you up on the offer one day, we seem to visit Germany and Holland every year. I do really miss living there.

I am really exited, I have order little RP some real running kit as he does his first XC for the club next week.
  • Options

Hello all

RP - well doen on your amazing timesimage well doen to mr RP too!

Cabby - hope you get the shoes sorted, shoes are so expensive it is quite stressful finding the right pair.

I have managed two decent runs this week plus another run on the treadmill, up to about 6 miles now, enjoying being back out there. I have also been rowing and have done a kettlebell class, may not run today, need to rest the legs!

Hope you all have agood weekendimage