Options

Race the Train

Comments

• Options

BS -  Replace the 1 with 2/3/4 for the different challenges... 

• Options
    Thanks to all involved with eventually getting the results up image
  • Options
    nice one - good to have the results at last image
  • Options
    Thank you asteroid and of course John Schofield for the results and link - so happy to have at last seen them 2 weeks after the race - and to find out I was 1st LV60( couldn't go to evening"do" in marquee so of course no prize as it will not be posted) that actually doesn't bother me so much - what does amaze me is that the entry fee for the 10k includes the chip and then there is no chip time results -just gun time(actually didn't expect a chip time as there was no mat to run over at 10k start but object to paying for chip in entry fee then  - organisers need to get here act together BIG TIME next year - coupled with attitude of station staff as I have previously posted - think I will have to think about next year's race  - shame really as marshalls landowners spectators and goody bag etc fantastic
  • Options
    Thanks for putting the results online - Their website is in a poor state, I could build a good one for them if they wanted.
  • Options

Andrew - You might get taken up on that!

Well run anyway.  I envy you train-beaters.  I reckon Dewsbury came 6th out of 15 teams that scored under 300.

• Options

Thanks Asteriod,

Hopefully we will get bigger team out next year - its a great event!

You could always point the organisers at out club website to see what they think of the features for results etc - I wrote all the code for it

www.dewsburyroadrunners.co.uk 

Andy

• Options

Andy - done - and I passed on your contact number from the website.

Manc Girl - congratulations on your 1st LV60.  Come back next year and stay for the party!  Seems you can ignore that stuff about 'invitation only' etc.  Or maybe it's different if the sun shines?

• Options
    Thanks Asteroid, any guarantees we will get good weather for camping next year?
  • Options

The word from the Race Director is:

"The race is always on the 3rd weekend (Saturday) in August so that should make it the 16th August 2008. Details, I hope should be up on our new web page before Christmas. Anyone who entered this years event should be sent an Email to inform them of the race . This should happen sometime in the New Year."

No mention of the weather!  But it must be about time for another scorcher (or would that give an unfair advantage to acclimatised teams from south of Watford?).

• Options

Andy

I've sent you an email about the website.

• Options
    Thanks ASteroid          had i known - i could have asked the organisers to post my award - would have paid the postage   never mind   - prob will return next year(all things being equal!!)
  • Options

Still wating for my mug - they cashed my cheque in May, what a cheek!!

• Options
    mug will probably be with you in novemeber if previous years are anything to go by
  • Options
    "Beat the Train" Certificate arrived today - very nice suprise! image
  • Options

Hi, 

Does anyone know where I can obtain a results list for the 2007 event, the Race the Train website stubbornly refuses to publish anything later than 2006, and they have so far neglected to reply to my 5 emails asking them for an update.

My Brother in Law finished in 2Hrs 58 min 31 seconds, but wants to know how well he did with respect to other privateers.

Regards, Iain, in Rugby.

• Options
    ukresultsman has them - see link on page 12 of this thread.
  • Options

Thanks a million, I have downloaded and printed them, and will give them to him tonight.

Regards, Iain.

• Options
    I'm keen to run in 2008 but the website seems to be out of action. Does anyone know any contact details for entry forms and other information?
  • Options

Hi Invisible Man - members of my Club are also wanting to get this in their diaries and have found the RTT website out of commission at present.  I asked for an update and have just received the following from the Race Director:

"I hope the entry forms should be available by the end of this month. Also hope to have the online entry up and running on the new web page which is coming together, and no doubt we will take entries on the day as usual. But being the 25th Anniversary who knows how the entries will go? I also intend to send John Schofield [ukresults.net] copies of entry form.

"We will be advertising the race in the usual running magazines e.g. Runners World etc, but have decided to advertise later this year, as well feel we advertise too early.

"The date for the 2008 race is Saturday 16th August."

• Options

HI Asteroid - how did you get in contact, with the race director?

I got my race mug delivered in October and it was in about 6 pieces, not surprising seeing as in was put in a small cardboard box with no packaging. This just confirmed to me that this is the worst organised race I have ever seen, and I did 18 races in 2007. As it takes me 5 hours to drive to Wales I certainly won’t be doing this again, the 2 month wait for a mug that arrived in bits was the final straw.

• Options

Hi Dazza

I'm sorry you've reached that conclusion (and about the mug - did you ask for a replacement?).

I plan to do it a 5th time this year, and many of the nine from my London-based club who ran in 07 want to come back for more, despite the travelling.

However there's been plenty of comment on this thread about the admin and particularly the old website, and it obviously hasn't been up to the slick organisation of some races organised by clubs primarily for club runners.

This is after all a charitable event, and a pretty unique and challenging one at that.  It's been great on the day, which is much better than a charitable half-mara I did when we didn't know when or where the start was and in the end mutinied and just started running.

I'm not part of the organising team and am fortunate to have built up some informal contact over the years.  I'll pass your comment on, but I don't want to become a window for the volunteer organisers to get bombarded and hope you understand.

• Options
    Thanks Asteroid, see you there.
  • Options
    Asteroid, I have no idea who to get in contact with re a replacement, that is what makes it all the more frustrating.
  • Options

i am in total agreement with asteroid, this event mug or no mug, is certainly well worth entering.  its a mates collective event whether or not they are running.  we camped in a wet and soggy field last year, but the entertainment value was exemplary, just hearing the parties in the other tents was an evening to behold.  and the ultimate, the run, i didnt care if the train had gone in and out of the station ten times before i made it back,  it was such a good event.  i enjoyed it so much my thread got a mention in r.w.  towyn can count me in again this year.

• Options
    I have enjoyed this race the two times I have done it and yes we camped in a wet and soggy field last year - probably the same one -  and the camaraderie was fantastic - I had one niggle about the organisation - I could not stay for the evening "do" and had no idea I had won my age group - so was very pleased to find this out when the results were finally printed - however the organisers in their wisdom decided not to post out trophies if you weren't at the evening do - so consequently I lost out on my trophy or whatever the Lady vet 60 prize was - now I think the organisers could taake a leaf out of the Anglesey Marathon and 10k organisation where - if you cannot attend the prizegiving they e mail you and just ask you to send the postage only costs - ( £2.50) and a lovely glass trophy was sent to me - so that is one Race I will be doing again - sorry Towyn - your race is brill but you have some odd rules and regulations
  • Options

Dazza

Drop me an email and with luck you'll get an intact mug!

• Options

Just a quick question

I beat the train on the quarry challenge and had no certificate, should i have ?

Dont want to bother them if no body else did.

Cheers  

• Options

i was missing a mug from the 2006 race - took ages to get a reply, but eventually it turned up in november 2007!

who said good things don't come to those who wait!

I'LL be back this year again - my 5th year, and will try and get closer to the 2nd train this time!

i'd like to book early so i can ensure that the family get tickets for the train etc as we use it as a mini break - not a good idea for the organisers to leave it later as people will find other races to do

• Options

just a little adendem from a dumb dumb.   as asteroid has pointed out this event is for charity.  perhaps it does lack the little things that some runners like ie an on the spot results service, maybe thats because it isnt run by members of the running fraternity, who can at times be very intense about their chosen sport and quite rightly so.  however, i ran a half marathon pre xmas, organised by a running club, the results service was spot on, in fact texted to us one hour post race.  but i wouldnt run that one again, the scenery wasnt nearly half as nice as the towyn run a one mile stretch through an industrial estate saw to that, it wasnt traffic free  , no lovely little steam train to put the family on,  and it wasnt challenging at all.  im a vet, and i still enjoyed coming home covered in mud.   one of our team members was taken ill half way round and another runner stayed with him and bought him up to the finish, hows that for commaraderie.  i can be quite critical at times, but there is nothing bad i have to say about this run,im so eager to do the 2008 event  i looked at accomodation the day we got home.   so come on guys, be positive,  its a good family weekend, combined with a challenging course and your favourite sport.