Options

Beginner to marathon runner in 2010

Comments

• Options

Back in one piece! Paused on the seafront while the aircraft taking part in a flypast for the last WW1 veteran took off from Shoreham Airport (the flightpath from there heads out over the sea), then headed off into the teeth of a gale!

Outward mile was a running at a 45 degree angle into the wind,too many stops sort of effort in 12.28 , a 5 min walk, then a return mile of 9.05 with no stops. Really chuffed with that. Last time I ran a mile was in February. Back to plodding around the park for a week and then try again.

How's everyone else doing today?

• Options

Good to see you survived Wilbury! Great mile time - I can only dream of 9 point anything! image

I'm with you Blithe - we must keep this going - at least until we have all done our marathons! I did physio again today, and then followed it up with a 2 mile jiggle which hurt! I guess the physio was worse than I thought!

Hope the weather improves - I'd like to do a long run this weekend. Any plans nyone?

• Options

Brilliant everyone - well done!

I have signed up for another 5k for September, and then a 10k in November...

Woo hoo!!

• Options

Back again.  Cloudy in London and very soul sapping weather, so am I going to get out there!

Well, if I can get my lazy teenage daughters to accompany me on their bikes I am, otherwise it's another 40 minutes on the treadmill in the gym...

• Options

Managed it the other day, but it was quite hard.   Strange given that I had been running much more on the treadmill with the gradient set to +2 etc, but it was still much harder outside!

Lovely, dark, cloudy and looking like rain in London - a great day for a run frankly!  Lovely to see the other side of the weather..

How are all of you?

• Options

*peeks round door*  Can I come in???  Am hoping to get a place in the Edinburgh marathon next May and would appreciate somewhere to come and sit down with people in the same nervous boat.

Edited for wrong month. Ooops. image

• Options

Hey Caz, of COURSe!!

Welcome to the group.  All of us are in the same nervous state having put those applications in, we are nervous if they arrive, and nervous if they don't!

I am completely new to running, but have been bitten by the bug recently - just hoping it continues!

• Options

I am currently patiently (ok, not so patiently) waiting for 1st September to come round so I can submit my application to the people in charge at Edinburgh Marathon HQ.  Have already booked our accommodation for the weekend lol.

• Options

Morning All!

Here I am - feeling like a new person! I gave up the ciggies two weeks ago today and I feel brilliant! image 

Did just short of 6 miles yesterday and the difference is nothing short of miraculous - I loved every step of it - obvious I know, but boy is it easier without the ciggies!

I have managed to pile on 2.5kg in 2 weeks, but I'm not worried about that - I'm back on the running road and that will sort the weight out pretty soon.

I'm so excited - I love my new life! Happy Monday!  

• Options

Hey Caz, now that really is confidence!

DP - well done! I found it really hard without ciggies until I started running, and the sheer joy of NOT having to smoke was just wonderful! Well done YOU!

Like you say, don't worry about the weight - at the rate you are running it will just drop off...

Just short of 6 miles??!! OMG..

• Options

Well all quiet again here today.

Just jogged a full 20 mins with no breaks which was a real one for the mental.  I really didn't think I could do that and I did! Now off for a bath to recover..

To you all, hope you are having fun!

• Options

imageBS well done -  See you CAN do it !!!! xx

imageDP fantastic you gave up the ciggies Brill

imageHaven't managed a run yet this week - Last week did only 9.1 miles but also 60 mins workout  in pool with trainer & hard riding lesson with trainer for 45mins - so exercise time good but need to bump up the mileage for Bristol half next month Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!!! Panic setting in

imageWill run tonight , keep going everyone TTFN Nessie

• Options

A half!! Nessie, you ARE brave! 9.1 miles is amazing - I can't even think that far!

Very jealous of the riding.  You have your own horse don't you? I really don't know how you manage to fit it all in..

So pleased with this morning, and can't wait to do more!

Let us know how the run this evening goes...

• Options

imageBS - 9.1 miles was over two runs !!!! You will get there be patient

imageYes own horse , love riding have ridden since time began!!!!! And as to fitting it all in I don't know how I manage it but I do , lucky to be able to work 3 n half days a week & so run & ride during week as well as week end -  I just worry about becoming inactive as I get older & so am determined I will be as fit as poss!!!!!!!!

imageRan last night down to do horse - 3.5miles - there is another route which I take to horse but that is 5miles & I was pushed for time last night so chose the shorter route, so at least I got a run. It really is amazing to be able to run 'cos a couple of yrs ago I couldn't manage a couple of minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TTFN Nessie PS hope everyone else ok x

• Options

imageHello peeps hope you all had good weekend running or not.

imagedid 10k on saturday in 67.33mins  (that included 4.30mins walk at start) it was very warm & I ran on empty so was hoping for a better time than that - but still Bristol 10k took me 69.10 so slowly getting better !!!!

imageUsually run on sunday but had horsie show again yesterday - got 6th rosette 'cos I fluffed up my show, never mind its all experience & i will have to try harder next time -

imageStay safe when running TTFN Nessie x

• Options

Hello all, mind if I join in?

I hadn't done any exercise since school 20 years ago but in a fit of pique at my nearest and dearest mentioning that I was a starting to show a (carefully nurtured) spare tyre around my waist, I went and entered the london marathon just to prove to them how fit I really was underneath...

Funnily enough it transpires that I am not fit at all and my early efforts on a treadmill have led to aches and strains in places I didn't know existed. I have since retrenched into a slower build up and hope that all these nasty ailments will disappear once my body stops screaming at me to leave it be and instead embraces the new direction in which I am taking it.

• Options

ok, so I've now done 2 half hour runs this week, covering 3 miles on the first and 2.5 miles on the second, which wasn't quite the direction I was hoping my times would head in.

My knees seem to be really sore right from the first step but then ease up after 10 minutes or so. I'm assuming this is normal and nothing to worry about.

So far I haven't had shin splints which must be a testament to my running shoes as I used to get them if I even walked too fast to the shops.

I'm thinking I'll stick to this distance for a couple of weeks, maybe 4 more half hour runs, and then start upping the ante.

I have to say the thought of 26 miles is a little daunting at present

• Options

Hi All

I am thinking of running a marathon next year (2010) preferably later on in the year, somewhere around November time, any suggestions?

Roundone

• Options

Hi Everyone & Welcome!

Blithespirit - well done for keeping at it! You sound quite dedicated!

RamblingRose - your 10k sounds good - well done you! I need to find one of those and see how I get on! Hope all is well now.

3leggedpony - welcome! You sound like you are doing far too much far too quickly - slow down! Take things easy. 26 miles sounds pretty impossible to me - but I'm taking it one day at a time. Have you a proper programme to work to? I'd certainly recommend working to a proper training programme - start with the zero - 5km programme, then you can work up to the 5 - 10k programme, then the half... you get the drift! Good luck!

roundone - welcome! I'm afraid I am not familiar with the programme around the country, but if you use the Events tab above, you can see what's on offer! 

I wonder if anyone is counting the weeks/days until we get to find out if we have a place? On the website it says "early October" - so maybe 6 weeks? image

I am getting out a bit more now - if I am home, then I run each day, just 2 or 3 miles. I am getting quicker too! I must go for longer runs at the weekend though, so maybe I'll take a day off tomorrow and then go long on Sunday. It seems to be lovely running weather now, not quite so warm and sometimes drizzly - which I quite like!

Hope everyone else is OK! 

• Options

Hellloooo everyone!!

Been away in France for two weeks which was bliss but so sorry to miss you all!

Nessie - brilliant effort - well done girl!

3legged - welcome to the group and I second everything that DP says.  As for puff etc, well we are all in that position, stiff, old and getting slowly back in, or in for the first time like I am!

Roundone - Have a look at the events, and the training timetables - they are really helpful!

DP - Welll done! How has August been so far?

I have to say I took all my gear on holiday, and then the temperatures were unbelievable - 37* and I couldn't face it!

So back to the drawing board - 5k booked for mid September, and 10k for November, so no excuse! 

DP - I think it will be September to be honest, so maybe 4 weeks?

BS 

• Options

Welcome back Blithe - glad you had a good time!

September!!! OMG!!! image

I have joined the Nike+ 10k Human Race for October, and the BUPA London 10000 next May, but I really must try harder to fit things in before VLM day!

Today I have planned a 5 mile plod with OH later. August has been a good month so far, I have done a total of   35 miles so far - mainly little 2 or 3 mile plods. Time to up the ante me thinks! I need to pick up a half and do the half training - properly! image

I have now bought the POSE Tri book and am studying hard - results so far have been amazing - but maybe beginners luck. Friday I did 3.5 miles and actually managed a fair portion of that at 8 minute mile pace - which is a miracle for me! It felt good too - so getting the right form is important. Practice required!

Happy Sunday! 

• Options

Wow - a whole week gone and no-one around!

I have managed 4 runs this week, most our usual 2.5 mile circuit around the village. Today we ventured a bit further and did 5 miles. Unfortunately the route home was all up hill, and pretty mean in places too. I walked quite a lot, but it's all miles under my feet.

Calf is sore, but I think is getting a bit better, being replaced on the hurt-o-meter by the Achilles. That's really sore now - just shows the uphill stretch worked! image

That's a good start to upping the mileage week on week. Going for six next Sunday. 

How's everyone else doing?

• Options

Hello everyone remeber me?!  I've been very lazy in the posting and running senses recently image

Training was going quite well up until around a month ago; I did a 6 mile run one Sunday in a very slow 1:14  but it was without stopping which is better than I normally do.  Had a 7 miler scheduled for the following Sunday but I ground to a halt after 4, and that was including two stops to stretch out my calves.  That sort of put me off then and I haven't really done anything since...

You may remember that I entered the Bristol Half Marathon that's this Sunday, but there's no way I'm fit enough to do it now after a longest run of 6 miles a month ago and nothing since!  Anyone want my entry?!  I feel a bit rubbish tbh; I thought the half mara would give me a goal to aim for to stick to the running, but I couldn't even stick to that image

So I guess I need a few shouts of "get your backside in gear" please!

• Options

Reported

Sadly he's spammed a load of threads

• Options

Oh Dear - some people have no manners do they!

I did my highest mileage so far in Ausgust - 54 miles! That'll need to improve then! image Nonetheless, I am proud of it, I sweated every mile of it.

September has started nicely - I like this cool drizzle, it makes my face glow a slightly less fluorescent shade of red! I'm plodding on though, and counting the days until that envelope arrives and (hopefully) the real work starts!

How are you doing?

• Options

*pops head back round door*  Have got my place for Edinburgh... Just need to do the training now... Tum-te-tum ♪♫♪  Have also signed up for the Kilomathon next October 26.2km...that should be fun. image

How much longer have you got to wait to get your yes/no slips through the post???

• Options

hey guys

Not be around recently loads goin on1  But have just found out that I have a chrity place for London next year imageimage so thought I'd pop by and say hello- looks like there's been some great running going on!

Hope your all well

• Options

Another few miles trodden this week - 2 today as a kind of loosener afer physio this morning.

What a lovely spell of weather! I think we are being spoiled ready for a cold old winter! I have never run through the winter, so I'm not sure how to dress and when to run when it gets dark, but I guess I'll work it out!

I'm going in search of events for motivation over the winter...

Hope you all have a great weekend! 

• Options

imageBeen looking in but no one around ????

imageAre you all still running? hope so, hope you haven't fallen by the wayside!!!!!!!!

imageI'm hopefully getting back to upping the mileage - have been nursing strained muscle due to doing leg yielding on horsie & it came out in my running - seeing physio & had to take runs down to 2 miles twice a week but last week managed to get weekly mileage to just over 10 miles by doing three runs of  3. something miles each.

imageLets know how your'e all getting on

Take care Nessie

• Options

I'm still here - and waiting - it seems letters have been popping through post poxes today - but not mine.

I may go back to biting the finger nails!

Anyone heard yet?