Comments

• Options

Abbers - when's the interview?
    MsE - looking very promising!
    Minni - not to worry.
    PMJ - those are fast goose-stepsimage
    RFJ - good session.
    Wool - very consistent.
    GM - that's some going off no warm-up - nice one.
    VTr - sounds like better news than expected.
    I think my foot is slowly improving, but no chance of running just yet. Found a slight flaw with my cycling plan for Febulous - sunrise is too late and sunset too early! Might get some done at the weekend.

• Options

That sounds promising, VTr

Minni: that puppy is soooo cute.  And as a non-Jantastic/Febulous person, that's all I care about.

Gul: best wishes to the foot

Rest day for me yesterday and will head out for 14M later on today - hopefully in daylight image

Marathon conversion isn't too bad: 1.21.57 to 2.52.41 i.e. x 2 + 9.  I was able to finish strongly in both races, so hopefully more to come this year.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Just a quick dip in before I head out on an easy 7. Will read back later.
    Supposed to be a recovery week this week. Did 5 that turned out to be progressive on Monday and did a half marathon last night with 5 miles done at MP.

Will do an easy 5 on the trails at the weekend and that will be just 30 for the week. I've also done a weights session and a spinning class. My legs aren't thanking me right now. I'll put off letting them know that I've got into the Ride London 100 mile cycle event in August! image

GD

• Options

Welcome Brixton Runner. That was photo finish gold at Wokingham and a great time too. Like other have said you should smash that marathon time. Endurance is a big factor, so get the miles in!

Good long run Leslie and speedy miles.

Great to hear from you again Badbark. I think you'll get that fitness back soon. Although by the sound of your 6.28 paced miles, not much has gone away!

Some cheap races out the BikeIt, I bet they don't have all the road closure milarky like we have here.

Good paced miles there GM

Like all the HM to Marathon conversion times. We are all different!

• Options

G-D - congrats on the Ride London place.  Have you done it before?  I did it in 2013 and it was awsome.  I missed out in the ballot this time (and last year too).

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

GE - I failed to get in on the ballot but my son did get in. At work we're sponsoring a great chairty for the year and they have places, so I've grabbed one of those in order to train and do the event with my lad. Only need to raise £750, which will be a pleasure as they're great bunch doing great work.

Haven't cycled more than 20 miles in one go for a number of years. Did the London to Brighton in 1994 on a mountain bike without doing any training at all. So, with a new road bike, marathon fitness, and my son and I doing the beginners training plan for the event, I should be OK.

7 chatty miles with a mate at lunchtime, 7.34 pace. Pleasantly surprising after last night's 13.1.

GD

• Options

G-D – you will love it, and great to have an event to train for with your son.  I’m not really a cyclist either although I have done a few duathlons over the years.  I find running gives a better fitness return on training time invested.  Cycling is fun though, and it is a real treat to be able to ride that route with the roads closed and plenty of other cyclists around to share the work with. It gave me an excuse to buy a fancy new bike although I have not used it as much as I would like since then.

I didn’t do much training for it but was marathon fit from VLM and managed to get enough cycling done over the subsequent 3m to make it enjoyable rather than painful.  My longest training ride was 67 hilly miles on Dartmoor about 2 weeks prior which took the same length of time as the 100m!  Everyone seemed to be finishing with a huge smile on their face and had completed the course much faster than expected.  I was hoping for sub 6hrs and did 5:13. 

The following year was blighted by poor weather and the course had to be shortened, so maybe not so good that year.  Hopefully you will get lucky on the weather front.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

GE - My turbo trainer arrives today and I'm getting fitted for the new bike this weekend. I love new gadgets, me!!image

As you may have seen, I ran up Box hill at the weekend and all of the major hills like Leith Hill etc are an easy ride from my house, so an ideal training situation for the big day.
    I've also said 6 hours on the forms, so it's good to hear that I could be quicker. Ultimately it's all about getting G-Dawg junior around on his first big event.

I'm hoping it will help with my running as I go into the 10k season and drop a running session every week before ramping up again for my first ever autumn marathon. Only ever done halfs at that time of year.

GD

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good to hear foot injuries on the mend or looking less serious.

I also had a chatty 6 miler at lunch, and 5 miles including a bloody great hill y/day.

Looking good for 50 this week but missing the parkrun as I'm taking junior to see Notts Uni open day.

• Options

GE- nice reps

PMJ- goose shit, sounds high tech !

G-dawg - shiny new bike excellent image

RFJ- good mara pace reps

Wool- spooky repeat time or top consistency image

Gerard- 6:22 pace with NO warmup you animal !image

0052- good double 

6x400m after nightshift  at 6:15m/milepace thrown into a 9 miler , suffering and hurt boxes ticked image

• Options
    OO52 wrote (see)

Looking good for 50 this week but missing the parkrun as I'm taking junior to see Notts Uni open day.

Same for me, Loughborough post-offer day, but 12 tomorrow and 17 on Sunday should see me to 55.

Leslie H wrote (see)

PMJ- goose shit, sounds high tech !

The track is next to the London Wetlands Centre and there are thousands of geese who can't differentiate between 3,000 hectares of wetland grass and the track next to it.

The choice was hurt or suffer, not both.

• Options
    I choose huffer

Still bloody unwell. Taken an alarming turn today too necessitating never being more than 20yards from a toilet. My 90minute brick session had a frisson of danger to keep it interesting.

As you were.
  • Options

Some nice chatty miles going on lads!image

Leslie - I did the gentlemanly thing and kept up with my running buddy. Nice 9 miler with speedy reps.

SJ - Oh dear that doesn't sound good. Didn't stop you training.image

PMJ - Based on your hurter/sufferer theory I favour a flat out 5k, so what does that make me then?

Badbark  - Good to hear from you. Doesn't sound like it will take you long to get back into the groove!

• Options

OO - Nottingham has parkruns. Quite a few in fact!

• Options

Glad the foot is improving Gul.

Have you ever been hit from above on goose shit lane PMJ?

Good shift ending session Leslie. (for a moment I thought I just typed Goose shit ending session!)

Like the sound of the Alan Carr (chatty man) miles.

What does a brick session consist of Slokey?

Had a great 10 miler tonight, although I was not looking forward to it as it was a combination of MP, HMP and 10 mile pace. Started off with 2 easy miles 8.18 & 8.03, then splits came out 6.42, 6.14, 6.46, 6.12, 6.51, 6.23, 6.37, 6.48.
    1.08.57 on the clock @ 6.54 av pace.

• Options
    Nice session KR. A brick is a bike session followed immediately by a run. My brick yesterday was 1 hr on the turbo followed by a 30min run. Good way to get used to running off the bike and is an easy way to build endurance without trashing the legs.

I'm 4lb lighter today than I was yesterday.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Nice reps PMJ. I know that gooseshittrack well!

Very pleased to hear that things may be improving for you Gul.

Get well soon SJ.  I won't ask what you did to lose those 4lbs (ahem).

KR - tasty 10 miler!  You must be really pleased with that one.

Recovery run of 5.5 miles @8:30 and vinyasa core flow yesterday followed by 11 miles with 4@LT followed by an hour of gym work today.  My run today was an epic fail for the following reasons:

1. It was only meant to be 9 miles but for some reason my route ended up being 11.  It was an out and back course as well. How could I get that so wrong?

2. The 4@LT were meant to be around 6:20-6:30 which would normally feel comfortably hard but I couldn't even get below 6:45s today.  The wind was buffeting me from all angles. I am weak and powerless when confronted by the elements.

3. I ache all over from my yoga class.  How pathetic is that?  To be fair, I usually do a 60 min hot yoga class and the vinyasa flow class I did yesterday was 75 mins of constantly moving yoga with loads of chaturanga push ups.  These hurt a lot if you haven't done much of them for while (which I hadn't).

4. I was under fuelled.  I don't tend to eat breakfast before a morning run and yesterday's fuelling was probably inadequate consisting of fruit salad (breakfast), tofu salad (lunch) and butternut squash soup with two slices gluten free bread (dinner) chased down with chocolate.  I think I am going to have to focus on nutrition and may amble over to the other threads to get some tips from Ruth The Nutritionist and the Asics marathoners.

Those are my excuses anyway. image

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

And Gerard you are looking a bit quick. You had better sign up for a marathon. image

• Options
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

The closest one to the university is Beeston. But you'd need to get there a bit early for the open day!

MsE - my LT run today was also slower than usual due to wind, which I've decided is even worse than hills for killing pace. Hopefully it'll be a lovely still day for the actual marathon.

Far too much fast running going on here to mention it all but what stands out for me is Gerard: that's a great pace, but why would you do that with no warm-up?

Finally, I don't think I do either hurting or suffering. Am I just not trying hard enough?

• Options

Good session Slokey, always wondered what it would be like to do a good bike ride then run straight after. Of course you'll have to pout that 4lbs back on again.

That's a very busy day MsE. Sometimes just getting out of the door can be a challenge. Still a good run though and running when fatigued is always tough.

I think that's a good question Literatin. I don't think every session should be about hurting or suffering, but I think sometimes you need to get out of the comfort zone to progress. A fine line maybe pushing yourself to get better and doing too much and getting injured?

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

The closest one to the university is Beeston. But you'd need to get there a bit early for the open day!

MsE - my LT run today was also slower than usual due to wind, which I've decided is even worse than hills for killing pace. Hopefully it'll be a lovely still day for the actual marathon.

Far too much fast running going on here to mention it all but what stands out for me is Gerard: that's a great pace, but why would you do that with no warm-up?

Finally, I don't think I do either hurting or suffering. Am I just not trying hard enough?

That makes me feel better. Having checked Garmin Connect I can see my cadence and stride length were no different than usual so unless my legs have suddenly shrunk the wind must have been the main factor slowing me down.

• Options

Don't think hurt and suffer should be a regular component of weekly training. And for races like the marathon if you hurt and suffer early, might as well have slept in anyway. But from what I've read from time to time it can be OK to deliberately overtrain for a few cycles to induce adapations.

When I was in track long, long ago I ran the 400M and that event was all about the pain. I suspect everything short of 2 miles may well fit in this category.

• Options

I seem to have lost a post that I posted earlier.image

KR - I'd be very happy with a 10 mile training run like that!

MsE - You are one busy lady! I am hoping to commence yoga real soon.image No marathon for me I'm afraid. Can only train one week on and one week off at the mo. I can wait though and will do some shorter stuff for the forseable future. I loathe the wind especially when racing and I just seem to slow right down.

Lit - In response to your question. I met with my new training buddy outside my office and we just set out for a run on an out and back 4.5 mile route that we did 2 weeks ago. We ran it @ 6:46mm then and agreed we would do a similar thing. I don't find it takes me long to get into a "relatively" fast gear but on that particular run the other day we just went with the flow and ran it more than 2 minutes quicker. My buddy is much quicker than me and I think she just felt like she wanted to push the pace in the last 2k or so. My legs feel fine and it was nice to have a run like that and run with someone who is very fast and with perfect form.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

"vinyasa core flow"    ????????

• Options

12 miles at lunchtime ahead of the rain but got caught in the wind so headwind out, tailwind back. Makes the splits look nice: first 6 in 46 minutes (7:40 pace) and the next 6 in 44 minutes (7:20 pace) for an average just inside 7:30.

• Options

Haha, that's what almost all my medium-long runs look like, PMJ! It's ludicrously windy where I live.

• Options

Kr- great session that mush try one out some time image

MSE- excuses noted , that yoga sounds like a hurt fest alright but cracking pace anyway,If I can't hit the pace as long as its near enough and "comfortably hard" its all that needed...

Gerard - training with elite ladies now ! , hope you cant stick the pace image

PMJ- Nice average pace on that 12m.

8 very early ones at 5am so no speed here just rain today ! 

• Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

Fairly happy with week so far, legs aching fom sundays half (more than I hoped for!!) so decided to keep pace and distance to recovery runs during the week with 14 MLR run today. 20 planned for Sunday bringing me to my first 50 mile week.  Good sign especially as I normally run further at start of week.

• Options

PMJ - good lunchtime session

KR - great 10miles I would be happy with that in a race

I'm feeling better today so managed 13miles at 7:34.  8 easy then finished with 2 at MP, 2 at HMP and 1 at 10k pace

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hey gerard im liking the training partner, nice to see you with your pecker up!