Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    I wonder what will be on this years medal image
  • Options

Another 10K for me on the treadmill tonight - this time completed it in 1hr 19 mins, so just over a minute faster than Monday.  Longleat 10K on Sunday - hope they dont let the lions out to chase the slower runners to make them finish quicker!

Tracey G - my prediction for medal design this year is the Aquarium as it was undergoing a refit last year and should be reopened this year.  May be wrong though.

• Options

Yikes I've been 'eeked' by Black and Tabby!image

Jellybaby - yes I intend doing GSR but haven't entered yet.  Looking for a second mortgage so I can pay the entry fee.

My training has been messed up by illness and injury (nothing new there then) but hope to be free from both from now on. Should manage to get a couple of 3 hour runs in before 2 week taper.  Don't intend to get knackered until the big day so not doing too much too soon!image 

• Options

Due to do 5 miles tonight - I find the reps over small distances quite tough, so plan to get gradually quicker over the 5 miles, starting with 10 mins/mile for mile 1, 9:30 for miles 2 and 3, 9 for mile 4 and then 8:30 for mile 5. That's the plan anyway image

• Options

Fastish three miler along Swansea Bay this lunchtime - half of it into the wind, half of it being buffetted in the back. Fabulous sunny views though.

Think it's time to invest in new shoes, though, because the Sauconys I'm using are wearing down quite drastically - which might explain why I'm getting niggling aches in my right achilles. I enjoy the whole "new shoes" experience, just not the experience of getting my card out to pay for them!

• Options
    TGF yup - well and truly 'eeeked' (dashes off to see *why* I was eeeking) oh the countdown. Eek indeed!

Wordslinger - was thinking I'd better get some more shoes as I reckon these will be gone by 14th April. Thought I'd get some'end of line' bargains, but they're only available in small sizes now. The 2013 version will start at ??100 (more eeeeeking) but apparently Sweatshop will be doing 15% of shoes in February so I'll wait until then. And its my birthday then, very conveniently image

Salisburylad - hope the accelerating run went well. Okay if the wind was behind you all the way!

Poohbear - good luck on Sunday! I did Longleat 10k twice a few years back. Lovely course but a fees big hills. Lovely downhill finish towards the house image
  • Options
    Jelleybaby - good luck for the 16 miles on Saturday, and Tracey well done on the 14. Just 12 for me tomorrow - step back week after last week's 15. Just hope the wind dies down a bit before then...
  • Options
    Goodness! A couple of nights away and this thread has zipped along.

Toby - Fantastic achievement to not just reach - but beat - your target weight. Congrats. You'll be flying along the course this year.

Welcome all new comers and returners.

Curly - you will always be 'elite' in my eyes, whatever corral you start in! I'm still plugging away at that core routine (ouch).

Excellent running everyone - especially in this wind and rain. I was climbing a really tough hill yesterday and thanked my lucky stars for an extra strong gale at my back, pushing me on. Not so helpful when I had to turn aroundimage

Quick question folks - I've heard & read about cutting mileage back every 4th week or so. How much would you cut back by though? Is it a tiny 10% or a more substantial decrease? Much obliged.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

I only do it cutbacks if I need to. Do I ache and am I tired are the key questions. If the answer is yes (it usually is) then I'll go down whatever seems necessary.

This week will be 50 miles as I'm tying a cutback with a racing weekend so wont do a long run. Thats 16 miles less than last week but about 10 less than my average.

LOL about elite... sub 3:15 is a very slow elite time. Sub 2:15 is a bit more like it (or 2:30 for women)...I suspect the organisers are trying to draw elite and semi elite people away from London, but that wont happen without a fast course (check with the changes they have made) and huge prize money to override the draw of marathon championship at VLM. The thing about many spring marathons is they tend to be thin at the front as most really fast runners would rather represent their club at the champs race and run with lots of other runners their speed... anyway thats irrelevant for most of us on here!

• Options
    Picklelilly - my schedule had the long run increasing for 2 weeks, then dropping back for a week, then picking back up again. I've messed my schedule around a bit, but basically I was supposed to do 12 miles 2 weeks ago, 14 last week, and then it drips back this week to 12 again. Next week it jumps back up to 16, then 18, then 14 etc. Totally messed up after that as I'm trying to fit a HM in there, but you get the idea.

However, the schedule in 'the non runners marathon guide' doesn't have cutback weeks. I'm just separate to avoid injuring myself this year and feel this is the best way for me!
  • Options

morning all

15 for me today and if i get up in time may do are local park run on Saturday morning have a feeling i may end up running with Poohbear on Sunday so will leave the PB attempt for another day

• Options

Hello all

I am gutted but will probably have to pull out of Brighton. I have had terrible shin pain for the last few weeks and have not been able to run. image

• Options

Thanks B&T, amazingly all went to plan to within a few seconds ... I ended up doing the last mile in 8:20 instead of 8:30, as I was basically going as fast as I could (perhaps with just a smidgen of wind behind ..image). I certainly feel the benefit this morning of the tougher run, like I did with the hilly run I did earlier in the week. I think that I have realised that it is worth the short term pain caused by doing harder mid-week runs (ie. hill, tempo etc), as it really does build up the strength significantly more than doing a nice gentle run.

• Options

MadWeelshWoman sorry to hear that hop rhe shin splints get better soon

• Options

Evening all

well 15 miles done today it was nice to go out in the sun although the wind did take the temperature down some what the whole run took 2:22:51 with an Avg pace of 9:28 so  nearly down to what i need to get that sub 4hr at Brighton although they do say you LSR should be done a minute slow than you intend to run

• Options
    Hello !!

Been having a read as I only just got my place a couple of weeks ago !

I've been training for the last 2 months with a couple of friends doing marathons & I suddenly thought well let's give it a go ?

I've been running 4/5 times a week and managed 14 miles last night for the second time. I also spin , & do core work .

It's not been pain free ! I have minor calf tears & achilles tendinitis , but visit a great Physio .

This is my first full marathon , I'm just looking to get round in one piece & perhaps enjoy a small part of it ?! Can anyone offer any advice , do you all carry your own gels etc aswell as what's on offer ?! Thank you ????
  • Options

morning all

have to say i was a little disappointed with my run yesterday as i felt i struggled somewhat but on refection perhaps it was only natural when i looked back and thought well if you take in last Fridays run it was coming of the back of a 51mile week

And then i got the biggest surprise i was comparing yesterday’s runs to previous runs i done of that length on the Garmin web site and happen to notice this

Week 8 LSR Brighton     Fri 3 Feb 2012 1:10pm time 2:35:56 distance 15:13

Brighton 2013 week 8   Fri 1Feb 2013 1:13pm time 2:22:52 distance 15:10

Turns out i was 13:04 faster over the same route as last year so hay just goes to show i don’t know a good run when I’m having one

Lizzie i always carry my own gels with me as i feel it’s best to stick to the ones i been using in training there’s no guarantee that thing said e ones they are using on the day won’t agree with you although having said that the O/H (Poohbear) wanted to try shot bloks out so we did buy the same ones that they are using at Brighton which are the Cilf brand

• Options

Toby I think thats a good run! Its only a little slower than I do my lsrs (aiming for about 3-45 mins faster than you on race day)...so keep that up for 15 miles is good going. Be wary of going that pace on the really long stuff, but I do think you are doing really well at the moment. image

Madwelshwoman dont give up just yet. Take a week off and see how you are - I had shin splints in my first mara (developed into a minor stress fracture because I didnt rest), its doing too much too soon that causes it so a bit of a break wont hurt. Do some walking and see how you feel.

lizzielizard no advice about gels as I dont fuel on the run. You sound like your physio is helping your niggles so thats good. You'll need endurance to enjoy it, so keep up the long runs!

Cut back week for me, 50 miles, with a 10k race tomorrow. Conditions dont look great as its on the coast so wind will be a factor but good practice for Brightonimage

• Options

Toby3 - great run well done! Good improvement.

Madwelshwoman - such a shame, but as Curly45 says don't give up yet, rest, ice etc and perhaps change of shoes and/or surface can help?

lissielizard -  welcome to the thread! I think in reponse to gels just try and see what suits you. I don't use gels, but make my own flapjacks with chia seeds, oats, honey and raisins etc in them and eat that beforehand. Then I take a bit of kendal mint cake and a Nakd bar with me, for hydration I use coconut water. Might buy some Clif block things off the internet to try before the marathon as that's what they are giving out, but I'll wait and see. Jellybabies -  I do sometimes use but find them a bit hard to swallow when running....

Did 16 miles today in 2.25 which was the same time that I did 15 miles in 2 weeks earlier (amid the freezing conditions!), so pleased with that.

salisburylad - I have certainly felt the benefit of temp runs hillwork etc and feel much stronger these days than 4 months ago image

• Options

Hello everyone image

Not been on for a while (holidays and then ramping the mileage up) but there's been some mighty fine running going on image

Just back from a VERY muddy 21 mle run on the South Downs which takes me to just over 50 miles this week (I'm training for a 50 mile ultra as well as Brighton so probably not got the most conventional training plan!)

Curly - your running is phenomenal, how long have you been running for? As you're the Queen of the High Mileage image can I ask what you run on a normal week? I ask because I'm aiming to run 50+ miles every week for the ultra training which is going to look like:

2 x 10 miles

2 x either 6 mile threshold, 6 mile intervals or 3 mile hill reps

Long run (20 - 30 miles) - I alternate weekly whether these are on or off-road

Does that sound about right or any advice on what I should be doing differently?

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend of running image

• Options

Toby, the mileage you're doing already & the weight loss you'll smash 4hrs easy.

7 miles this morning for me, freezing cold again & very windy, hope the wind dies down before tomorrows 15 miles.

hope everyone has a good weekend.

• Options

Hi Barbie it depends on what I am training for but usually for marathon training its about 60 a week, topping out at about 70. I need that mileage because I work (or more precisely my coach does) on percentages. That is if I want to run 2 speedwork sessions and a 20 miler a week (I do) then there has to be enough easy mileage to support that (around 60 is perfect). I'd do more but you do need to keep in mind your previous averages and keep your marathon or ultra plan not too many more above that. My coach works on about 5 miles added on the weekly avg per year as ideal, although I regularly push that, but its individual with what you can take and what you have time for.

Okay all of that aside, you're talking about 5 runs per week so you would only have enough for one speed session - ideally as Brighton is flat I would recommend a multipace tempo of about 5 miles growing to about 10 over the plan. An example might be:

3 miles warm up, strides, 2 miles @ MP, 2 miles @ steady, 1 mile @ MP, cool down

And then as you find them easier start changing the sections to make them MP / HMP or make the MP bits longer etc.

What your plan is missing and what I would do with the 5th run is a medium long of 10-12 miles (so skipping the second interval/ speed session). Do this mid week for marathon training then once you are done with that move it to the day before your long run (ultra runners often use back to back long runs to develop the stamina for the event). The medium long has two functions - it boosts weekly miles which helps with aerobic training and helps the long run not feel so long. It can be a real slog though in the week.

Also if you can add a 6th run of 3-4 miles the day after your long run. As slow as you like.

Thats only my thoughts, I've been running about 4 years, but if you really want to get the best from yourself I'd recommend joining a club and/or getting a coach. Its been brilliant for me image

• Options

Wow, that's massively helpful Curly - thanks so much! image

• Options

@ Curly - great advice above! This is something which I may need to do from the next week or two, and what you say does make sense. So thank you.

Update for me this week - Wednesday, did an hour on the treadmill, running 7.12 miles. Got to work after that, and been told I wasn't needed, so as I had my gym bag (I work in Marylebone, London BTW), I got my shoes and kit back out and went for a two laps around the outer cirlce of Regents Park, 6 miles.

Thursday, did a LSR around my home town of Stevenage, and ran 8.4 miles. Haven't done much outdoor stuff recently so was really glad to get this under my belt.

Friday, just 40 minutes on the treadmill. Nothing speical.

Saturday (today), I did the 5k parkrun up in Cambridge. Did a 4k warm up beforehand, and did the 5k in 00:22:05. Tomorrow and Monday are my rest days then I will step up a gear from Tuesday.

ONLY 70 DAYS TILL BRIGHTON.....BRING IT ON! image

• Options

First Parkrun for a few weeks today - am really pleased as absolutely smashed my pb, knocking 127secs (2mins 7secs) off previous pb.  I even managed to run up some of the hill.

Longleat 10K tomorrow - hope to get another pb then.

Good running from everyone going on.

• Options

Well done Poohbear thats an awesome improvement! Good luck for tomorrow image

I have had to pull out of my half marathon as my week away with work has been moved and now co-incides with the race, would have normally complained to the boss but jobs are unstable in my office at the moment so decided to just accept it.  Using it as a chance to take a step back and build back up slowly rather than doing too much at once and crashing out, at least I am now enjoying running again and am back to looking forward to my next run rather than dreading it.  Great running everyone else :0)

• Options

I'm doing 15 miles tomorrow.  Really not looking forward to it.  Does anybody else ever feel like that?  I do like my running, and am looking forward to Brighton, but just know tomorrow is gonna be tough/boring/cold .... sigh!  I know I'll be glad once its over.  God, I wish it was tomorrow night! 

• Options

Diogodog we all know how you feel, ive ran brighton marathon the last 3 years, this year, ive given myself the winter off training, and am not doing it, although im going to brighton to cheer you all on...

Yes i had a few runs where i just wasnt looking forward to it ,i use to get up in the morning eat my breakfast and try and find some thing to get out of it or delay it, but then i use to tell myself i would run for a mile at a time and see how i felt, by the time id got to mile 4 i was well into it and completed the run and i always use to give myself a treat for doing so usually a chocolate treat or a small glass of wine...

Its funny though, now im not training (saturday was always my long run day) i said to myself this morning it felt weird not running and i said to my daughter that im feeling a tad jealous of the shiny medal ill be missing out on and of course the tv!!image

• Options
    Diogodog - definitely know how you feel. Every long run is the'longest I've run in training', and I get terrified before each one. I've started using my mp3 player on long runs again, bought myself some new tunes and made a new playlist, and to be honest last week it was only the thought of that that got me out the door!

As Yvonne said, the thought of a reward is good for motivation as well. I have an enormous hot chocolate after my long runs image hope the run goes well for you today - do let us know how it goes.

Yvonne - shame you're not running it this year, but well done for standing on the 'other'side of the fence this year!

Have been a bit concerned that my shin splints are starting to hurt again, after Friday's not-so-long run. Trying to ignore them and convince myself it's just my imagination trying to invent reasons for me not to have to run. However an sitting with an ice pack on my sins at the moment, just in case.

MadWelshWoman - I feel your pain! Sounds like yours are really sore. Strap running for a week or so to rest them, ice, compression etc but keep up the cardio vascular work with some swimming / cycling if you can. I did aqua running last year, which keeps the same muscles moving as running does but without the strain.

Poohbear and Toby - hope Longleat's going well - looking forward to hearing all about it.

Hope everyone else is well, and any long runs are successful today!
  • Options

DiogoDog - sort of know how you feel - I've only ever done a marathon once before 21 years ago - but it's as though it's a new challenge this year. The long runs make me anxious - will I manage it, can I cope etc, but I am sooooo determined to beat 4.12 and complete the course that I push myself to continue. I do actually enjoy the run; it's a great sense of acnievement for me personally; and I love being outdoors and it's a challenge! I don't listen to music but stay focussed on what I'm doing - although it was lovely listening to the birds singing away yesterday!

Try to stay postiive and think of what you are achieving and how good you will feel at the end of Brighton Perhaps remind yourself of why you entered in the first place?   image

Toby3 and Poohbear - hope Longleat went well and you weren't chased by the animals!! 

B and T hope the ice packs are working.