Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Hi Barbie 1976 thanks for info. I'm running berlin marathon for charity "mind" so was thinking of raising money by doing all 3 events. I get your point though.

I've done the London to Brighton that takes place in September. You need perfect map reading skills, no marshalls to help you and a lot of money for not a brill run.

I will look up the other one u mentioned and let you know.

Thanks for feedback
  • Options

Toby3, what you do with your "bits and bobs" is up to you ... imageimage

• Options

Just a little info for the new comers to Brighton they used a new kind of timing chip last year one that was built into the number and although most worked some did not just make shore on the day that the chip part isn't bent flat and sticks out at a right angle to you

this also meant there was a smaller grantee about 20, 30 yards in front of the actual finish line this threw some runners last year who  thought that the smaller grantee was the finish line it’s not keep going until you get to the big one quite clearly marked finish

you can just about see it in this

/members/images/535370/Gallery/IMG00194b_-_brighton_finish_line_2012.jpg

• Options

I remember something similar at Milton Keynes last year, where some people though they had crossed the finish line when there was still about a quarter of a lap of the track to go.

Stephen - great 20m race time! Well done, and good to see you are doing well.

Today I completed one of the tougher runs in my program, which was 11m including 7m at threshold pace.  It's a great one to get in the bag.

• Options

Tillstar and Black & Tabby dont encourage Toby3, knowing him I expect the lure of the stand for signing up for next year at the Expo will prove too much for him - as it normally does anyway.

I wish the lighter nights would hurry up and come along, as am getting bored of running on the treadmill in the week now.  It is so lovely to be outside at the weekends - unfortunately cant do the same during the week as work gets in the way!

• Options
    Goodness have a day not looking at this thread and all sorts goes on, what Toby 3 does with his 'bits and pieces' for example.......

Great running from everyone though, fantastic work!

I did 3 flights of steps followed by 8 lots of hill reps this morning, and yes it was cold down here as well, had to use buckets of warm water to clear the windscreen before I went out at 7.30.

17 mile run planned for Saturday, just a bit concerned about the weather the forecast is for wintry showers and I struggle in the cold. Haven't had to run on the treadmill so far this winter and would prefer not to start now! Pity I can't organise the weather like I can my run!!
  • Options

what’s happened to the weather just when i thought we seen the last of the cold weather and might actually get a bit warmer than winter sets in again Oh well looks like we'll need the running tights a bit longer i know what it is the weather took one look at my legs yesterday said i not looking at those so it got colder so i had to cover them upimage

• Options

I was definitely in need of the running tights last night, was exceedingly chilly image .. looks set for quite a few days to come.

• Options
    3 x medium to long runs coming up in the next few days in the Freezing coldimage we just can't catch a break!!!!!!!

Still lets be careful what we wish for the last thing I wanna be doing is running a marathon in searing heat!!!!!
  • Options
    MarkD wrote (see)
    Still lets be careful what we wish for the last thing I wanna be doing is running a marathon in searing heat!!!!!

Exactly Mark! Chilly as this weather is, its doing wonders for my heart rate!

• Options
    MarkD wrote (see)

Absolutely - I ran Lisbon HM last year when visiting my sister it was about 25 C which I hated, and there were loads of people collapsed on the side of the roads looking exceedingly ill!

• Options

notifications on the blink again, tons to read back through. freezing here today 10 miles this morning in perishing cold but thankfully no ice/frost. hope it warms a tad in the next week or so before silverstone half, its freezing and often windy there on the best of days!

• Options

Just finished my training for today (after work, ugh, I hate going to the gym after an 8 hour shift with a hours journey into London each way!) image Anyway on the treadmill, did a 2 mile jog, then 3 miles at 5k pace, finishing off with a 1 mile jog. So in total, I did 62 minutes, 9.95km (6.5m) and burnt 836 calories. (1166 kal if I include the 10km cycle ride on top of that!) :P 

• Options
    Wordslinger wrote (see)

Did 19 miles yesterday, in a fraction under 3 hours. I'll be doing 20 miles next weekend and ideally want to do them in 3 hours, so fingers crossed. If I do, it'll be a first! No real aches or pains today, which is a surprise.

Llanelli half marathon in two weeks, and I'm hoping for sub 1.55.

Good running here Wordslinger... although I think you may be running your lsrs too fast. I run a 1:33 half and run mine at the same pace. Slow down to speed up is a good mantra to have for longer runs... your recovery will be quicker if you run a little slower image

Toby I remember the gantry thing from spectating last year. Must. Remember. When pushing for the line and knackered image

• Options

Toby (and other brighton veterans) - am loving the 'top tips' - please keep them coming! They appeal to the 'control freak' side of me image So to summarize, squeeze the water pouches onto the floor first to make sure they work, grab as big a handful of shotbolks as you can and keep running until someone puts a medal around your neck image

• Options

ah but you forgot the main one EJOY IT image

• Options
    A running buddy of mine said the best two tips he's had for a marathon are:

1) take a sports drink at 5, 10, 15, 20 miles. Fueling is an important part of running a marathon but do make sure you eat and drink before you feel you need it.

2) sit down before the start. Warm up slightly but take a bin bag and sit down when you can.

Not too many miles for me this week. Resting now until Sunday's Tunbridge Wells Half
  • Options

I have a question.....

are there plenty of opportunities for unscheduled loo breaks after the start  (i.e. the surreptitious kind image)?

• Options

Curly - thanks for the tip! Trouble is, if I run any slower I feel like I'm walking, which puts me off. I'll try and slow down a bit for my 20 miler this weekend. Impressed with you 1:33 half though (and just a tad jealous!) image

• Options
    Hi guys after reading this forum thought I would finally add a comment as my motivation has vanished this week!

Entering brighton marathon, my first this year and very excited.

Did dorney half last Sunday and got pb at 1:57 but since then felt exhausted so haven't run at all this week image attempting an 18 mile run tomorrow.

Have been Aiming for three runs a week, one long, one around 6 and one quick 3 miler and also been doing a bootcamp session for power a week.

Would love to run under 4:15/4:30 any advice that I'm not doing???

Thanks, glad to be part of the forum image
  • Options
    Wordslinger wrote (see)

Curly - thanks for the tip! Trouble is, if I run any slower I feel like I'm walking, which puts me off. I'll try and slow down a bit for my 20 miler this weekend. Impressed with you 1:33 half though (and just a tad jealous!) image

It does take some getting used to, but the benefits in terms of recovery are huge and you'll get all the same aerobic benefits of long runs by running slowly too. So nothing to lose and lots to gain image

Agree about sitting down before the start if you get a chance, just try to relax in the pen, the best warm up for me is usually walking from the station to the start and miling around a little. Nothing too crazy, you can do a short 5 min jog if you want, but I just use the first few miles for that. image I'd warm-up for a shorter race, but for a marathon it doesnt seem worth it.

• Options

Welcome Louise - I reckon you should aim to enjoy this one.

For info my first marathon I trained 5 times a week, ran a 1:55 half and came out with 4:31. That doesnt mean you wont get sub 4:30 but just remember it takes years and lots of miles to build up endurance so dont be disappointed if you dont nail your target first time image

Your half time does give a prediction inside your range though so you have the speed for it.

• Options

morning all

just 14 miles for me today then out with Poohbear and Snowmaiden as they attempt there first 18 miles

• Options
    Morning peeps... New to the thread as have only just got a place ( via work bizarrely )! Just saying "hi"
  • Options

Hi Louise, I would completely reiterate everything that Curly has said.

Definitely don't get hung up on time for your first marathon, whatever time you run it in will be a PB image and so many people have said it but seriously the best thing you can come away from your first marathon is to have enjoyed it image

I was probably pretty similar to you/Curly before my first marathon. I had to pull out of a half marathon in February that year as I had a broken toe but from training times if I'd run it I would have been around 1:55- 2:00. I thought I was going to be 4:30 or thereabouts on marathon race day in the April.

The reality was...... I was SO nervous before my first marathon (I had 2 hours sleep from 11.30pm - 1.30am and then didn't get back to sleep image), like many first time marathon runners I sped off waaaaayyyy too fast and got my pacing all wrong image, I found running in the heat really hard (I'd never really run in warm weather before! image) and I made the classic mistake of drinking sports drinks with the energy blocks which made me feel sick between miles 15 - 20.

I eventually crossed the line in 4:29:16 but I would have been as happy with 4:31:57 or 4:38:29 or whatever....the main thing for me was that despite me doing so many things wrong image I enjoyed EVERY single minute of it. All the photos of me from that year show me literally grinning like a loon around the whole course!

You will learn SO much from your first marathon and you can think about what worked/what didn't work and beating PBs in subsequent races. I knocked 30 minutes off my first marathon time last year to go sub 4:00 and am probably going to knock at least 10 minutes off it again this year, so for this year if I was you I'd aim for circa 4:30 but not get too hung up on it....then you can come back next year older, wiser, stronger etc and smash that time! image

• Options

thanks guys, great advice and yeah maybe i am focusing too much on time i just need a goal so i don't stop on the day. i think just to finish i will be one happy bunny image aiming for 21-22 miles in training and see how that goes and how i feel until i set a time i guess.i'm happy that i do have the advantage of completing a lot of races before so i've learnt the hard way on speeding off to quick and got valuable experience of race days.

thanks again for all your advice this site is great and its amazing to know people are in the same boat as you. first 18miler tonight...

• Options

As a first timer, can I repeat what many others have said, any advice/tales from those of you that have done this before is fantastic to read, so huge thanks. I did 5 miles last night, another one of my "start slowly and gradually get quicker". First mile was 10 ish mins per mile, then, 9:30, then 9, then 8:50 .. now bizarrely, in the last mile, out of nowhere, I felt like putting in a really quick spurt, so for about a minute I was running virtually as fast as I can. Don't know why, just felt great !!

20 miles on Sunday ... imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage !!

• Options
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

I have a question.....

are there plenty of opportunities for unscheduled loo breaks after the start  (i.e. the surreptitious kind image)?

This was a serious question, since it looks like a lot of running through streets...

• Options

not a lot up until you get to about mile 19 or 20 and hit the road to hell

• Options

Oh dear.... image  I'd better control the nerves then!

Just a short 4m treadmill recovery for me this morning, after yesterday's 12m run in that bitter wind.  I want to go further than 20m tomorrow, so I hope the wind dies down.  On schedule to be my highest ever mileage week.