Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    My advice is rest if you're tired! After a fast 20 mile race last weekend, I'm only just beginning to feel like I can really run again - don't underestimate what a toll long distances take on the body. You only get one pair of legs and knees and need to let them rest - listen to your body. Coming to the marathon fresh is far more important than starting knackered (even if you've completed every training run in the process). A slow week won't make you lose fitness and will almost certainly do you a world of good. I've done just one 5k this week and going later and tomorrow and know it was the right decision after getting a 20 mile PB last weekend.
  • Options
    Sorry for posting twice: I thought the first message deleted itself!
  • Options
    Hi all. Making drive home after completely getting directions wrong for half today. We should have got off motorway at jn 10- I had in my mind 15- then saw signs for Oxfordshire! (race was Stratford) Usually pretty good with directions so gutted!! Race starts in 20 mins but I won't be on start line- had to collect number etc too. Going to get out and run anyhow. Feeling pretty foolish image. Hope everyone else getting on better!!
  • Options

Oh no poor you Catherine - that's exactly the kind of thing I'd do as I have NO sense of directionimage so my husband is always on navigation/driving/transport duties for races! Hope you have a good run regardless image

Excellent advice there Ruth - I did exactly the same this week after I ran a trail marathon last weekend. I think the best training advice is to listen to your body and not to slavishly follow a plan.

• Options

I do love my plan, but I'm not afraid to change it if needed - though having said that I've never changed it yet - perhaps I'm more stubborn than I admit!

Not long back from a 20.07 miler (longest run yet) and done in 3.02, so pleased with the time and how I felt. I was really anxious yesterday and this morning and got my OH to meet me twice to make sure I was ok (also took on fluid and fuel without having to carry it!).

CatherineP - sorry about the misdirections it must be very frustrating for you. Hope you get out and have a good run anyway.

Weather here started off lovely this morning, blue sky and sun - now foggy etc and cold weather forecast for next week - managed capris and a T shirt today but it'll be back to thermals next week I'm sure! image

• Options

Great time Jelleybaby, you are well on track for a sub 4 hour marathon image

• Options
    Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

CatherineP: I'm glad I'm not the only one to do this! (I missed the Spitfire 20 last week image).

My training plan is five runs a week, with an optional sixth. After the first month, I dropped one run, so just doing four, out as it was a bit much for me. Maybe I should have chosen another plan, but my one is still doing its job (I hope).

I have run another 20 miles today, taking four hours to do so. I agree with the principal of 'time on feet' being more important than mileage. But I still want to run the higher mileage!

Hope everyone's training is going well image

• Options

Ruth I agree with what you say about rest. personally I find that an easy week is essential before any race that i do, and I've headr elite runners say it's better to be undertrained rather than overtrained at the start line.

Last time I did a marathon, I did 3x 20-milers in training and each was worse than the last! I think I ran the marathon with a lot of tiredness still in my legs. So I'm trying to avoid that, but there's still a temptation to get in as many long runs as I can... image

• Options

Well should have been my second 18 miler today, but Toby3 had other ideas and strongly suggested that we make it a 20 miler instead as the weather wasnt too bad. 

Was managing 15 min miles up to mile 12 then slowed down a bit.  Not bad though as I was struggling with feeling a bit queasy for the last few miles - dont think shot bloks and gels mix - finished 20 miles in 5hrs 30mins so a good time and only 15 mins slower than 18 mile two weeks ago.

• Options
    Well done poohbear image if u find a way to bottle your determination please let me know - I need some of your spirit! Only 3 for me today, was going for longer but the legs weren't having it and I was getting slower with each mile. Decided to listen to body and go home and eat some of my birthday cake will try again tomorrow today I'm making the most of my sweet tooth as I'm giving up junk from tomorrow. Happy running :0)
  • Options

Afternoon all

Well as Poohbear said i suggested that  20 miles would be a good plan just to give her that psychological boost of knowing she could so we ran around the Bristol H/M course as part of the run as Poohbear thinking of signing up for it later this year

• Options

Well I'm currently feeling well proud of myself. 4:30:15 for 18 miles. A huge improvement over the last time I did that run. Jogged pretty much all of it bar the mile or so that was very muddy when me and a friend went up the canal and a couple of breather breaks, feeling really sore now though. Think I'll spend the rest of day chilling out.

• Options

Well done Snowmaiden and Poohbear fantastic running! Just a thought Snowmaiden if you're sore - do you use a foam roller - I find they're great post running! Toby3 good thinking re 20 miles I think it has a good psychological effect of knowing you can run that far!

Tillstar - hope the cake was good and the Birthday, enjoy the run tomorrow image

• Options

Great runs Snowmaiden and Poohbear, your confidence should get a big boost from that. I just did a very gentle 3 miles earlier, as it is the Salisbury 10 mile race tomorrow morning .. lots of very serious club runners. I shall have no shame being near the back !

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Just started with watch this forum, which is great.  I've run Brighton Marathon 2011 and 2012.  Both times the race packs were posted.  This year is different as we have to collect race packs at the exhibition, see details below copied from the FAQs.

My question is, does anyone know what evidence the organisers require for picking another entrant's race pack?  I will go myself on Friday and will probably volunteer to pick up some other people's race packs.

When will I receive my race pack for the 2013 race?

Race packs for all ballot entrants and charity entrants MUST be collected at the Are You Ready Brighton Marathon Exhibition at the Brighton Centre between Friday April 12th and Saturday April 13th. Doors open at 10am close at 8pm on Friday and 6pm prompt on Saturday.

Why do we have to collect our race packs?
    For the last two years some Race packs have not been received on time by our runners.  This has led to an increase in work load for the Brighton Marathon team at the most critical period before the event.  To ensure that we do not have the problems in the future we have decided to ask runners, or a friend, a member of their family, a running buddy or a colleague to collect the number instead.  This should ensure that every runner wakes up on race day morning with the correct information, number, race chip and kit bag.

• Options

GCE i swear by echinecea...i start to take it 2 weeks out from the marathon and take it until a week after the marathon along with a 1000mg of vit c .....i think its good to try and prevent a cold etc and also the mental side of taking something preventative goes a long way to keeping you fit and healthy too....ive never had a cold while taking it and when i do have a start of a cold i take it and its gone in a day and drastically reduces the symptoms.....

• Options

20 miles yesterday, 12 today and my legs certainly benefited from missing 2 runs in the week. I was gagging to get out on Weds and Thurs but really glad I was sensible and rested instead.

All that's left to do this weekend is replenish some of the calories I've burnt with a big veggie roast later image

• Options
    SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Hi All, been a while since I posted on here.

GCE & yvonne 2: Echinacea, yes I take it every day, along with a multivitamin and a Vit C. Touch wood in my experience this keeps the colds at bay. I'm also anal at washing my hands which in my opinion is where most colds come from.

Poohbear and Toby: good effort there on the 20 miles, doing 20 is a good confidence boost as you now know you can make it that far with only 6 more miles to go.

I agree with previous posters above: If you are tired take a rest, If you are injured take a rest! The trick is realising you are doing to much and adjusting your plan accordingly. Remember it is just a plan. I ran a marathon last weekend as part of training for an ultra. I injured my foot on Tues at work, and had to cancel my Tues and Weds runs, and reduce Fri and Sat runs. I already feel better and my foot is recovering. Focus on the end goal and remember that training plans are not set in stone and should be adjusted to how you feel at the time. You will not suddenly get unfit in two or three days and you will come back stronger. As my swimming coach says "Doing more training will not fix an injury and the sooner you accept that, the better off you will be"

Good luck everyone with your last 5 weeks training!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Good comeback runs after rest Barbie.

Well done Toby/Poohbear/Snow - your training is progressing very well.

Today I ran 20m to conclude 52m for the week.  Three months of training in the bag! image  Unsurprisingly for one of my long runs, it snowed image  At least this time it was only light and not settling.  The run felt tougher than usual, as has the entire week.  A combination of many miles in the legs and recovering from the race, I expect.

Only two more weeks to the taper.  We can do this!

• Options

Good running Tenjiso and you have snow (again!). It's forecast here for tomorrow, so everything will grind to a halt and I will have to ask/beg OH to take me to work instead of going on my motorbike as normal.....

re vitamins etc, I don't take anything but I think if you believe they do you good then keep taking them, and ignore the fact that if you eat well etc all that happens is that you have expensive pee!image

Seriously though, it seems to be a personal thing some people seem to be more suseptible to illness then others, so for some they may be beneficial. I've not had a cold for many years, the rest of the family had norovirus over Christmas and I avoided it and I work in a hospital with people coming in with all sorts of bugs!! Maybe I'm just lucky to have a good immune system - having said that now I'll go and get a cold just before the marathon!

Hope everyone's managing with the return of winter weather - 6 miles this morning in chilly, windy conditions - pleased to have done LSR yesterday! Layers; gloves and hat this morning.

• Options
    Jelleybaby, I was just thinking the same thing - I've been surrounded by people coughing, sneezing and spluttering over me for about four months now, but so far the immune system has kept the lurgie at bay (she said, whilst firmly touching wood!). I have a kiwi fruit chopped up on my porridge in the morning; just one little fruit has 100% of your Vit C requirement.

Like Safely, I'm also obsessive about washing my hands throughout the day.

Well done to everyone completing really tough LSRs this weekend and clocking up amazing weekly mileage. Toby & PoohBie, on your feet for 5:30!! You are marathon heros.

I did Worthing 20 mile road race this morning - as a faster runner it took me 2:46 - I just can't begin to imagine spending double that time on my feet. Hats off to you!

This was the first 20 miler of my plan, so a long way behind most of you who have been clocking up the 20 milers for weeks now. Four laps of a five mile route. I hate running laps, so it severely tested my mental endurance. The strategy was to run 3 laps slow and last lap MP.........however.......race excitement took over. So it was more like MP for 3 laps then last lap half way between Half marathon pace and MP. Felt strong and comfortable all the way round though and my recovery has been excellent thanks to my warm up routine.

Never used to warm up. I thought it was a nuisance, waste of time, just wanted to get going. It's taken four training cycles to discover that 5 mins of warm-up boosts my recovery post-run about 100 times more than any amount of post-run stretching, rollering, ice bathing, compression, rest. Bring on tomorrow's run!!
  • Options

Finished the Salisbury 10 mile race in 1:28:19 - way faster than my planned 1:33 - 1:35 .... I can't decide if that is good or bad ! It has given me confidence that I could do a half marathon under 2 hrs, my only half marathon to date was a 2:03 ... but I think it may take me a couple of days to recover properly as my calves are as little tender. I started off slowly, first mile in 10 m, and then gradually got quicker, with the last 2-3 miles in 8:20 or so. It was a very well organised event, so would recommend it to others in the future. Will see the results on-line later. My family missed the finish, as i told them there was no way I would be quicker than 1:30, so they arrived just as I was collecting my post race t-shirt !! When the blurb says "gently undulating", don't believe a word of it, there are 4-5 hills of a reasonable size, albeit that each one does have a down as well as up ! imageimage

• Options
    20 miler done today, legs feeling good after a sports massage. It was very windy and I did struggle with that and even allowed myself a couple of walks. Although I start feeling twinges from around 10 miles they don't seem to get too much worse so was trying to remember that at times. Done in 3 hours 26 which was again an improvement on last years time. I am running at pretty much last year's marathon pace and wondering how much faster I will be able to go on the day.

Racing an hm next weekend which seems a little strange sandwiched between 2 20 milers, think I will have to see how I feel on the day before deciding whether to really race it or treat as training run.

Well done to everyone for going out in wintry conditions! Can't believe it will be over in 5 weeks.
  • Options
    Second 20-miler done this morning in just under 3 hours. Bad week really, only 28 miles after last week's 45.

Can't believe it's freezing again. Sure it's been a lot colder generally this year than last year, and wetter. Puddles and sogginess everywhere. Hopefully for the big day in 5 weeks time we will have the usual gorgeous sunshine.

Picked my charity yesterday, Chestnut Tree House children's hospice. Don't know if I'll equal last year's ??500 but it never fails to surprise me how generous people can be.
  • Options

Sorry for being off this for so long, been injuryed with my left ankle, not much training went on, then moved house last weekend, but was back on track from last wednesday onwards.

Yesterday (Saturday) did the 5k bedford parkun and finished 5th with a personal best time of 20:41.

Today I took part in my first half marathon in Milton Keynes and finished with a time of 01:40:59 (according to my stop watch).

2 days of rest now before I hit the miles again for the Brighton Marathon. image 

• Options

Did a 15 mile run yesterday over the South Downs Way. image 

I was quite pleased that it was foggy and I couldn't see too far in front of me as it stopped me from dreading those hills!!  This was my longest run so far and I am feeling better than I did last week.  I've been reading some of the threads on here about nutrition and so have made a few changes to my diet, the main one was eating more.  So now I'm bounding with energy - thanks all! 

Roll on 18 miles next weekend!image

• Options
    Wow, a lot of good miles by everybody this weekend. Ran the new forest festival today, 20 very hilly, cold & windy miles. Rather pleased with 2.59. 3 hour drive home made the legs a bit tender after though.

Yvonne, thanks for ecinechea thoughts. I'm giving it a bash. I always start taking glucosamine a month before a marathon, then beetroot supplements a fortnight before. Also trying to ensure my 5veg & 3 fruit a day, harder than it seems.

Mad really, tapper starts in 3 weeks?? Argh... 2x18s and a 21 to go....

Poohbear, I gave up gels, now swear by the clif bloks. So much easier to handle & digest.

SalisburyLad, well done on the 10mile.

Good luck sticking to plans everybody, especially with forecasted cold snap.
  • Options

To everyone, well done on the runs and on some great times. It’s snowing here again, still not my fault but I’m just glad it was only drizzling yesterday, not snowing. It made it just cold enough to not overheat but not so cold that I wanted to hide at home. 3 weeks to the taper? Eep

Jellybaby: I’m planning on getting one soon. I think I definitely need one because I’m still stiff today.

SalisburyLad: Well pleased that I managed it in that time.

Tenjiso: Thanks. J

• Options

Poohbear/Snowmaiden - good running, congrats on getting some big runs under your belts.

Well done to everyone else who's been out and collected their LSR points this weekend.

Also did 20 today and very very nearly came in under 3 hours. With 6km to go I rounded a corner and straight into a headwind that pretty much stopped me in my tracks! Those last 6k were testing and I ended up finishing in 3hrs 7mins, so I'm pretty pleased with that. (Curly - I know you recommend going slower, but I felt I needed to push myself a bit today, and I'm pleased I did!)

I'm now pretty hopeful of a sub 4hr finish at Brighton.

Just the five weeks to go...

• Options
    Wordslinger, I'm so holding out for a sub 4 too. Had a bet with an old boss last year, ??500 that I could do it under 4. I did, but determined to prove it wasn't a fluke!

Upping my hill running sessions this week.