Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mace,

Opps & ouch.  Hope things go well with the op.

MG,

Thanks.  Our's has her records marked at the vets so everyone's warned of what she's like.  It was so reassuring to her she was taking swipes at people walking by the cage they put her in after she had to be taken as an emergency one night & we got her back after about 36 hours.

Fiona,

I know I should however this winter I'm going to get the 10 minute workout trainer dvd set and then get out when I can.  There's talk of the club championship being in February as the usual race isn't running due to safety concerns over the course.

(((NN)))

Ouch.  Hope you recover quickly.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options

NN - Glad to hear the bad ankle isn't injured again. Good luck for the 10k at the weekendimage

OH - Hope you managed to get out for a run tonight

Stewart - Another nice midweek run, good stuffimage Are you planning on doing Lochaber again next year?

Fiona - Well done on the 8, hope the blisters aren't too bad

MG - A nice couple of faster runs, well done

IJ - Nice ten miler

Mace - Bloody hell, that's nasty! Hope the op goes well mate.

NP - Good running

AGF - Hope your better soon bud

Tek - Not bad for some, enjoy the holiday!

-----------

11.07 miles @ 9:14 ave

Thought I had slept in (as I forgot to set an alarm) and was going to have to delay this run until tomorrow, but thankfully woke up almost exactly when I had plannedimage Fair enjoyed myself when I was out, ran a wee bit further than planned, and had I had a bit more time I might have knocked out 13.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NN I hope the ankle continues to improve - this is becoming a very accident prone thread! image Take care until it heals.

OH hope the ribs ease off.

Mace how are you? Hope you are ok.

AGF are you feeling any better?

Hope Teknik is having fun on hols.

HM4 sounds a good idea to keep the fitness levels up.

Nice MLRs Stewart and Stuart. image Same for me tonight.

NP how are the legs feeling today?

Not sure why the blisters NN. Started getting in the arch of my right foot so I got new orthotics but it's just the same with the new ones. Most of my shoes have done around 800 - 1000 miles and the only shoes that do not aggravate things are my lovely Fastwitches. image They are classified as racing shoes but I wore them tonight for 15m and think I'll just use them regardless of them being for races! Also I'm fine on tarmac but as soon as I go offroad and my feet slide around inside my shoes that seems to be when things go wrong.

F

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

OH, hope you managed to get out for JS tonight

NN, bloody hell not good hurting the same ankle hopefully it will be ok for your race at the weekend

SM, yeah I'm planning to do Lochaber again, well done with the 11 and it is good that you have enjoyed the run too

Fiona, well done with the 15 mile run tonight, 

-----------------------------------------------

An easy 5 with JS this evening a wee run down the riverside and then back along the canal, hope to get another 5/6 mile run and body blanace tomorrow, depends if I can get somone to watch the youngest after her Highland dancing class

Stats: 5.46mi, 57:18, 10:30mm, 137(72%)  

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

AGF, sorry i missed your post, you must be due an upturn soon as it seems to have been all down for a while now. And you also Nurse image Good luck both.

Thanks for the good wishes guys n gals, op went well ( although i was surprised to find out it was under GA - something i've managed to avoid for 47 years but what a strange experience !! ) The upshot is i managed to almost completely sever a tendon in my hand and will be in a splint/cast for up to 6 weeks but i should be ok to run after 3 or 4 days.

Some great mileage and long runs from all you marathoners and it's strange how much you miss it when not marathon training.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart nice day's total Wednesday, and good running with JS last night

AGF so sorry to hear you're still under the weather - let's hope the next course of antibiotics does the trick

HM thanks for the tip - although I don't think I'll be doing much in the evenings except sleepingimage

NP well done on Wednesday's 7.5m - hope the legs are feeling better

mace jesus ouch !  Glad the op went ok...

IJ glad the calf is ok - well done on the steady 10.6m

MG good MP run, hope you enjoyed the bootcamp yesterday

Fiona nice easy 8m and well done on yesterday's 15m

OH thanks and I hope you managed to get out last night

NN oh no! Glad it didn't get the tendon.  Hope the roller does the trick for your buttimage

Stuart well done on the 11m - great to hear you enjoyed itimage

----

I went out yesterday morning on my own for a 7m run along the valley floor - very happy with the pace and HR - not too steep uphill, turned around, and felt like Jason flying downhill again !

The camp officially starts today, and I'm typing this as I wait to get picked up. Today it's something like 10 - 14 km (yes, the vagueness is worrying) but with a 600m climb, 300m in one section, with a 22% gradient bit at the top. image  What have I signed up for...image

• Options

Didn't get out yesterday evening - 3 late house visits put paid to thatimage
    but have day off today ... weather rather dark and foreboding howeverimage

StewartC - envious of run along canal last night - was just what I could have done with.

mace - bit of a downer image
    - good side is damage has been recognised and repaired (and you can continue running)

NN oh dear (or words to that effect). Hope it recovers quickly

Tek enjoy the views image

FionaC hope blisters clear up (not something I'm generally affected by)

• Options

OK 18.4 miles covered SLOWLY and much of the last 3 were walk/run but I got out image
    Weather brightened up a bit - stayed dry (surprisingly) but misty and windy

Rib achey during parts but no significant after effects (so far)

• Options

OH - Well done on the long run.

Tek - Sounds like it was an 'interesting' run todayimage

Stewart - Nice recovery run

Fiona - That's some amount of mileage in your trainers. I got just over 1000km in my last pair before I noticed the tread was totally disintegrating. Cracking MLR yesterdayimage

Mace - Good to hear the op went well.

-----------

5k recovery run tonight. There is a strong sulphurous smell hanging round the town, that should be alarming but somehow it isn't...

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

• Options

hi Everyone

i'm still here. have not run at all since sunday (13 miles). Back to work this Monday just gone after a restful and fun maternity leave. Too wiped out in the evening to do anything other than spend time with the kids when i got home. I suspect i'm going to have to do very early morning runs instead if i'm going to get this marathon done in October. never really been one for the super early morning runs. going to have to find the motivation from somewhere.......

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Sounds like a nice run last night Stewart. Hope you got someone to watch junior.

Great to hear the op was a success mace. Take care and you'll soon be back in your trainers. image

Teknik sounds like a great holiday. image

Nice long run OH. Very dark here now and close but no rain.... yet! image

Stuart any reason for the aroma of sulphur in the air?

Channon I'm sure you'll find a way.image

Very tired tonight. Meant to be a rest day but away all day with work on Sunday so had to do Saturday's intervals tonight and will do Sunday's long run in the morning. Did a treadmill session as only just managed to crawl out to the garage. Not bad once I got going. Some reps at 15k/hr. Not particularly fast but tough enough.

F

• Options

Imminent volcanoes in central belt?

• Options

Hi guys, many thanks for the best wishes and support. Glands still swollen. Getting better though. Been told to rest/relax.

its good to read how everyone is doing. Keep up the good work guys and or get healthy if your injured.....

i'll be back in the thread in a week or so... But think I need a total break for a little while from running to recover. Please don't think I am rude by not responding to comments over next week or so..... Look forward to reading back in a week or so...

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Mace, good to hear the OP went well, 

Tek, hope you're enjoying running up the sides of mountains

OH, well done on the 18 mile long run, 

SM, nice 5k recovery, watch out for those lava bombs

Fiona, well done with the intervals while tired, enjoy your long run tomorrow

AGF, no need to appoligies, recover well image 

---------------------------------------------

Interval session for me too, 2 mile warm up, 5x 600m with 200m recoveries a tough session especially the last rep

Stats for intervals: 7:49, 7:38, 7:35, 7:27, 7:34

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH well done on the 18.4m - hope the rib is ok this morning

Stuart nice 5k recovery. Sulphur?

HM thanks

Channon commit to posting here everyday - it will make you want to get out and do somethingimage

Fiona well done on getting the intervals done

AGF rest up, and wishing you well soon

Stewart nice set of intervals, well done

---

7.58m for me yesterday, with 683m of climb.  image  The way up ended with me crawling on hands and knees at one point, and the way down wasn't much quicker as we hopped over rocks and slid through gravel.  HR and pace stats now ruined for the month ( we averaged 13:32mm !!). Legs mashed and I've got to do it again today...

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Races this weekend:

24/08/13 Thames Meander           Emmy
    25/08/13 Torbay 10k                     Night Nurse

Good luck !image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

/members/images/681851/Gallery/alps2.jpg

Sintersbach Wasserfallimage

• Options

Tek - Looks a tough run, rather you than me. Nice picimage

Stewart - Nice speedy intervals

AGF - Take care

Channon - Once you get into the swing of early runs I'm sure you'll be fine! It's just getting started that's the hard part! Well done on the 13 last weekend

Fiona - Some good intervals. Wouldn't fancy running more than 4 minutes at 15kph at a time though!

OH - Don't think we have any active volanco locally. We do however have an oil refinery with a poor safety record...

---------

6.1 inc parkrun.

20:42 parkrun off my Garmin, which would be a PB, doubt I'll be credited with that time though. Either way, my HR was very low for a 5k (only averaged 180, and topped out at 189) so I think my lack of confidence and heavy legs were my limiting factors. If I'm doing St Andrews next week I'll have a rest on Friday.

Edit: 20:43 offical parkrun time. PB by 1 secondimage Didn't think it was ever going to go.

• Options

well done Stuartimage

tested calf yesterday with a steady 13.5 miler. It was fine, so happy. Left knee hurt intermittently, so kinda worred about that. Just pre-race niggles!

5k race Wednesday, 10 mile hill race Saturday then a 10k race in 2 weeks. Gonna be busy!

Good luck on the weekend runs!

• Options
    Channon stick at it it will come

Fiona hope the LR has gone well

StewartC good interval effort and runs

Tek good effort and commitment in the mountins, it will all bear fruit come race day

SM6 well done on the pb , they all count ! image

21 m @ 8.52 av HR 142 for me this morning, challenging conditions, humid to start then really windy.

First 14 m steady then picked up the pace for the last 7.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done on the parkrun PB Stuart! image

A good set of intervals Stewart, these things are tough when on your own.

Great photo Teknik, a nice change of scenery. image

MG1 a really good long run. My plan said 2.5 hours so I did 18 miles. A reasonable uphill for the first 4 miles so av pace 8:20mm but ideal conditions. Mild and still although I did get a bit chilly half way when the drizzle started.

F

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Great photo.

---------

• Options

Evening..

All these longs runs going on, Fiona and MG1 very well done...I have started to miss marathon training and have worked out my 18 week P&D schedule starts on the 8th December, I could admit that to anyone else anywhere without being thought of as very slightly...or even everso sad, but I know I am among friends here.....arent I ?image

Got 10k race tomorrow and today OCD completely took, over I thought I needed to run just over 3 miles, which added to tomorrows 10k would have brought my weeks mileage to a nice round 40..but once I had done it, I went on Fetch logged it and realised it wasnt needed  , so the weeks total will be 43.6....or I may do a 1.4 mile warm up to bring it to 45 image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Not sad at all NN. I like a break then do need a plan! image  My week is 69.5 and if it had not been for the plan stating a 2.5 hour run today I would have rounded up to 70 but I stuck to the plan. image

F

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Gosh, just been looking at Teknik's running for today - vertical! image Teknik is the altitude having an affect on you - pace/HR etc?

NP hope all is well with you.

F

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart PB !imageimage

IJ well done on the 13.5m, hope the 10m hill race went ok yesterday

MG great running on that 21 milerimage

Fiona well done on the 18m long run.  I think the altitude is having a bad effect...see below

HM thanks

NN lol and good luck today

----

"Only" a 500m climb yesterday but it was in less than 3 miles; difficult even to walk at points.  We got to the top, HR ok but my head was spinning.  The others started off on a route along the mountain ridge, and looking down you could see a 1800m drop on both sides. The path was about one footprint wide, and I caved - I had to run back down on the road / track.  Today I'm running on the valley floor...image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

/members/images/681851/Gallery/kitztop.jpg

Top of the mountain, looking down on one of the main ski runs at Kitzbühel

• Options

Tek That's the sort of stuff I enjoy (unfortunately Elspeth is less keen)
    SM6 A PBs a PBimage

Unfortunately on call today - Outdoor swimming group is getting a boat ride out to The Gloup (open sea cave) for a swim there. Have been there many times in a kayak but it would have been first opportunity to swim there! image

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DpF53Ro7mMo/TYpQMA9iiCI/AAAAAAAAAHs/qdY_K9Htvf8/s128/203-lrg-1360-leaving_gloup.jpg

• Options

OH - That looks a nice location for a swim, shame work has got in the way.

Tek - Nice running, don't think I'd have fancied running along such a narrow ridge although I've walked along plenty.

I think at 1800m you'd start to feel some slight altitude issues, especially with fairly hard exercise. I wouldn't fancy running that high, my last attempt at running at altitude nearly seen me collapsing after bouncing up a flight of stairs at 3200mimage

NN - Good luck with the 10k! I think the 1.4 mile warm up sounds goodimage

Fiona - Great long run, and nice total for the weekimage

MG - Another good LSR, good pace too!

IJ - Good luck for next weeks race, and well done on the 13.5.

---------

14.0 miles @ 9:25 ave. 149(74.5%) ave HR

In theory that looks a good run. In reality it was anything but. What I can say is that is the right pace for my LSRs, this 8:30 carry on was just far too fast.

43.4 miles for the week, and already my highest monthly total since March.  Things are definetly going in the right directionimage