Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options

IJ, what distance is the race ? looking forward to the report, hope the knee held up

SM6 35,37 !! is faster than most senior men, there are very impressive veteran runners around, my friend who is F55 raced a tough off road 10k in 45 mins on Saturday, then did the same 10k as me the next day, coming 3rd lady in 41.20 !! her recovery rate is amazing. Good luck on your MLR tomorrow.

MG1 nice pace for an easy run , especially after a tough day
    Fiona, wow !! 5.37 ! was that down hill ? image, lots of miles covered for an interval session great running

Tek thats still a good mara pace, glad you enjoyed your Alpine adventure, sounds great fun

Stewart a couple of miles before a club run is a great way to get a longer run done isnt it? I shall start doing the same once I am marathon training

Mace , decisions decisions ? do you think you will race ? what are the chances of falling over really ? imageto be honest though I would think the arm swinging action alone would be too much and make it a very uncomfortabe run. Take care x

OH sounds like it will be nice and breezy to say the least ! I cant believe they are banning garmins !! are you allowed to wear an ordinary stop watch ?

9.25 miles @9.15 s ( 1 hour 25 ) today ave hr 73%, need to get a 15 in tomorrow or Friday, Bristol half is only 2 weeks away now.image

• Options
    Fiona great interval sessions, bet they hurt!

Tek good running earlier and welcome back

Stewart C hope the legs are feeling a bit better tonight

Mace well done on the 6 , go careful nowimage

OH enjoy the day off image, your weather forecast sounds like fun , not !

SM6 hope the rest does the legs a bit of good for the rest of the week

NN nice 9 earlier, not long to Bristol h, think its a good one

4 m tempo tonight in 27.57 - 7.17 7.04 6.56, 6.39 fastest 4 that I have run this year over my canal track so pretty happy, hopefully it all helps for the long stuff.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

OH,

That sounds interesting.  Hope you enjoy.

-------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options

MG1 brilliant tempo pace well done !! I have done Bristol a couple of times  I usually run around 1.43 there, 

HM4 are you training for anything ?

• Options

tonight's race was 5k: I ran (jogged) the two miles from home to the club, then pottered around 10 mins or so, then 800m warm up on the track with a bit of fast pace to check the knee. Plenty of ibuprofen suggested it should be okay!

The race itself was simple: set off like a mad idiot and hold on. I'd set a bet before Christmas that I'd do 21:45 by the end of the year (PB at the time was 23:59!!!!) and as this was the last of the 4 race series, no pressure.

Sub 7:00 pace required, so first mile 6:53, second 6:59, third 6:58. Last 0.1 mile, 6:07 pace! 21:34, a large slice of lemon Victoria sponge, a pineapple cupcake and a chocolate cupcake. Good day!

12th PB in a row, and I think, the end of that streak as the next race is a hilly 10 (on Saturday).

/members/images/185924/Gallery/after_lwac_5k_race_4__2013.jpg

"Jimbo, dead at the end of the race..."

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Teknik, your legs are possibly tired from all those hills! The benefits will be there for once they have recovered. image

Stewart how did you feel tonight? Did you get the MP run done?

mace great to see you back to it.

AGF how are you feeling now?

OH agree that ipods should not be allowed in races, a shame for marshalls cheering folks on to be met with blank stares and not too safe if on the road! But a ban on Garmins seems a bit odd!!

Stuart great to pass the 1,000 mile mark!

Nice MLR NN. The 5:37mm was only for 90 seconds!! image And MG1 it did hurt. Nearest I've ever been to image! Fantastic progressive tempo!

Great PB IJ!

NP how are things with you?

8 easy miles for me after getting the hair cut etc, it is getting dark so early!

F

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

NN sorry this is late but I enjoyed your race report, great that the hill work is paying off and that you beat the other lady only to find out you came in second FV image but great running. Backed up by another great run today.

Fiona great interval work and some in the 5:30 mm image grove.

OH fingers crossed that the wind is a no-show and some times running Garmin free is a good thing.

SM6 nice running.

MG1 Nice Tempo running.

Jim great running and well done on the PBimageimageimage Now the aim is sub 21:00image hope you enjoyed the cake's.

Well up early and put in 6 miles, was nice to run in the cool airimage made an application to run VLM for a charity and now need to wait and see if I have a place as I won't know till October........but I wouldn't start picking the miles up untill Nov/Dec and most of this will be done in Egyptimage

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fiona cross post, can't gat my run logged on to Fetch.

• Options

Great running everyone. 

Nice one IJ. Liking the after race treats too.

back on the road again tonight. a little 5.5 miler and it was tough. Thought it was the heavy legs but then realised at the end that it was cos i was running faster than i normally. Go figure! Made the end of the run all the more sweeter. it's good to be back.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, well done on your mp run this morning 

Mace, good to hear that you've managed to get out for a run, 

OH, good luck with the half, going to be windy during my half on Sunday too

SM, well done getting over a 1000 miles for the year, 

NN, sometimes it is the only way I can get the miles in, nice pace for your run today and a low hr too

MG, another quick tempo there, you're right to be pleased with that

IJ, well done on another PB, 

Fiona, it is a bit depressing how quickly it is getting dark, well done with the nice easy 8

NP, nice 6 earlier, which charity are you planning to run for

Channon, well done with the 5 quicker miles

-----------------------------------------

Decided to do a MP run tonight but kept it to 8 miles at that effort given that I'm running 18 on sunday with the HM @ MP,

so it was 10 in total with a mile warm up and cool down

Stats: 8.02mi, 1:12:17, 9:01mm, 149(78%)

I'm happy with the pace and HR, I was 7 miles in before it started going over 80%, easy running for the rest of the week

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Well done Jim

Winter's coming, Fiona  image

NP-Good luck for VLM

Stewart - forgive me for being too lazy to search back but how are your stats compared to pre current mara training ? I thought you were at 10min miling for that sort of HR not long ago ? 4hrs is your target isn't it ?

Nurse - 2 runs so far have been ok and mobility in my arm is good, it's just the hand. I'm going to run on Sunday anyway so i may as well as i'm entered image. I doubt i'll be going all out though and will probably do a progressive starting at MP and see how i feel. If i can get under 1:35 i'll be satisfied as my A race is end of Sept. Thanks image

Big fat zero this morning as i overslept -my battery went on my phone so no alarm and i slept 9 hrs !!!! Will get out for 5 or so later

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH 35 mph wind forecast !!  Good luck with that !image

Stuart nice recovery and well done for breaking a 1000 milesimage

NN nice easy 9.25m.  It's funny how some races just sneak up on you !image

MG well done on that 4m tempoimage

HM are you finished with the blackberry bingeimage?

IJ PB !image  Fantastic streak, well doneimage

Fiona nice easy 8mimage

NP well done on the 6m and I'm glad you've decided on another VLMimage

Channon yay!  Well done on the 5.5mimage

Stewart great MP run - I checked your stats on Fetch and it was a good level HR print - great going !!image

Mace I bet the lie-in did you some good.image  I think I'm a fair way away from 3:15, and there's only 8 weeks left.  I'll keep plugging at the subLTs, but at best I'm hoping to get down to 7:3x, meaning a 3:29 should be "easy"/ safe.

---

12m MLR this morning, nothing much to report apart from it's hot again down here.image 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN,

Not at the mo.  I'm not sure when the club championship is going to be as the usual race as been pulled due to safety concerns & there's talk about it being in February next year.

Tek,

We finished the crumble off tonight and inbetween decorating at the weekend will be getting more blackberries to do the sorbet.   Unfortunately there were a lot of blackberries which weren't ready.

-----------------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options

Tek - Good running today.

Mace - Hope you managed to get for a run tonight

Stewart - Nice pace at marathon effort, looking good for Loch Nessimage

Channon - Nice running

NP - Good running, hopefully you get a place for VLMimage

Fiona - Good running, that's a fair pace for recovery runs!

IJ - Fantastic, well doneimage

MG - Nice tempo run, you were flying for that last mile!

NN - Nice run last night, hope you got out for your 15.

OH - I set my 10k PB in a 35mph windimage 

----------------

9.2 miles @ 9:46

Decided to have a shorter midweek run, and do Sundays long run on Monday (I'll be too hungover on Sunday for 13+ miles) so I can have a rest for Saturdays PB attempt at St Andrews. Blister site was rubbing a bit tonight so had to be careful.

Non-running day tomorrow. Probably 40-50 lengths in the pool in the afternoon before I go up to my brothers.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SC well done on the 8 miles, the charity is the Fire Fighters Charity fingers crossed for the place.

Channon well done on your run.

Mace hope you got out, 9 hours sleep you must of needed it.

Teknik well done on your 12 and it's warm up here still.

SM6 nice 9 miles enjoy your swim, I must get back into the pool next month.

Well rain first thing this morning and as it was cool yesterday I set off on my run in tights and long sleeve top and jacket one mile down the road and the sun came out and it became very warmimage talk about over dressed lol, anyway steady 6 miles into the bank and feeling a lot better than yesterdays run. Still working on building walls and the patio image

• Options

recovery run tonight, 9.3 miles at 8:55 pace (faster than marathon pace)

a day off then 10 mile hill race. Lovely!

Good running folks, keep it up!

• Options
    IC good effort yesterday and a pb so happy days

Fiona well done on the 8 yesterday, always enjoy running in the autumn myself, winter is still a while away

NP good two runs, nice bit strength work doing all that labouringimage

Channon good effort, keep it going image

Stewart C nice run last night image

Mace nice bonus rest this morning image , i am sure it wont do any harm in your recovery

Tek good steady run, you are going well image

SM6 nice run, look like you are going to have a good weekend image

Bootcamp tonight for an hour then another hour with trainer, legs feel battered! Rest tomorrow before LR saturday morning
  • Options

IC PB  image

7.6 mile JS sandwich this evening (rib fine image )

SM6 you've thrown down the challenge for me image
    but I don't think I'm going to take it up - no PB attempt planned image
    (there are 3 significant hills too)

Tek enjoy the heat - "Night's are fair drawing in" here image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

mace a lie in sounds nice.

Stewart take it easy now before Sunday. I went to enter a week ago but it was full! Nice MP run last night, I was looking out for you tonight but didn't see you. I was the mad one running round the 1 mile loop!

Teknik well done on the MLR.

Stuart I hope the blister behaves! I've just been wearing the Fastwitches and all well.

A recovery run at faster than MP is unheard of in my world IJ!! image

NP that's more than I wore for once!! I did a warm up then t-shirt and shorts and no gloves tonight for my reps. image Did 6 lots of 5 minutes with 2.5 recovery.

Active rest day tomorrow. My sister was going to come across tomorrow night but she is not feeling so good and on antibiotics so will postpone the visit.

F

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Ooh cross posts. Nice cross training MG1. I don't mind the autumn or winter just running in the dark constantly that gets me. image

Good luck OH and great that the rib is well. image 

F

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Mace, around 10mm for same effort back in May but I was still recovering from my first marathon, but there is a definite improvement over the last few months, would love to go sub 4 but anything around 4hrs would be great, hope you have managed to get out for your run

Tek, another good run today, you are racking those miles up going to be close to 300 again for the month

SM, well done with the 9 mile run enjoy your swim tomorrow

NP, well done with the runs and the hard labour

MG, you deserve a rest after a couple of tough sessions

------------------------------------------

A very easy 4 mile run with JS, just what the legs ordered, two more hard weeks and then it will be time to taper, it is amazing how quickly it creeps up on you image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

x-post

OH, nice JS sandwhich good news re the rib image

Fiona, just seen your session on fetch, great running, might use the loop if I can't get on the track next week for my 4x1200, all easy now until Sunday, shame you couldn't get a place image 

• Options

just entered the Nottingham marathon (29th Sept) as a training run. Hmmmmm!

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

OH got very windy here this morning and your right about the nights and mornings getting darkerimage.

Jim thats one fast recovery run, faster than MP, I find it hard to even hit MP out side of a race at the moment.

Fiona ditto what SC said great running love the 6:30 paceimage

SC Nice running.

SM6 Hope the swim went ok.

MG1 nice two sessions.

Teknik nice running, have you been doing any form of intervals to push the pace/speed up?

Another 6 miles banked this morning and feeling a lot better for it. image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM imageimage

Stuart nice easy 9.2m.  Good luck at St. Andrewsimage and have a fun weekend.

NP well done on the warm 6 miles yesterday, and the 6m today.  I'm following the Hadd plan, so there's very little running at anything faster than MP - I do the occasional 200m/200m session at 5k pace/140% of 5k, plus a short race every couple of weeks.  I'm thinking of adding another short interval session or two as it's 8 weeks to go now...image

IJ LOLimage.  What part of "9.3 miles at 8:55 pace (faster than marathon pace)" was the recovery bit?imageimage. I've often thought about doing a mara as a training run - just don't be tempted to run too close to race pace.  Good luck tomorrow !

MG nice training. Enjoy the rest day and hope the LR goes ok tomorrow

OH nice 7.6m, glad the rib was "ok". Good luck in the wind tomorrow!

Fiona enjoy the rest day and I wish your sister well soon

Stewart nice easy 4m.  Blimey it has come round quickly !image

---

1m w/up then 6m at maraHR. Went off too fast and struggled a bit to keep the HR down.  Managed 7:48mm...

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Weekend Races...

31/08/13    Rousay Lap Half             OH

31/08/13    South Essex Mile            Teknik (first time on a track for 34 years ! )

31/08/13     St. Andrews parkie         Stuart

31/08/13    Hilly 10m somewhere      IJ

01/09/13    Moray Half                      StewartC

01/09/13    Thanet Half                     Mace (hand permitting)

Good luck allimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Good luck to all the racers!image 

I seem to have entered a 46m offroad ultra in the Brecon Beacons 3 weeks after Snowdonia....

catch up soonimage 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

I'll post the sorbet recipes up at some point this weekend.

Jason,

Good luck.

--------

Good luck to the racers this weekend.  Well done on everyone's training.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

IJ, good luck don't think I could run a marathon in training, how far out is the 'A' race, good luck tomorrow

NP, good to see that you're finding your form, nice run and at a cracking pace too

Tek, another good MP run, good luck with the mile race tomorrow, 

Jason, Bloody hell mate, it is only a 20 mile long run on top off a marathonimage

OH, good luck tomorrow hope the win dies down

SM, enjoy parkrun hope you get a pb

Mace, good luck on Sunday

--------------------------------------

Easy 5 mile run before body balance, I'll do another 5 tomorrow before cricket

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SC Hope the 5 miles and body balance went ok.

Jason fantastic miles again this month, you just keep churning them outimage.

HM4 any running?

Teknik nice running, but as you know I only run now and again with HR as I go on feel/pace. I just thought the last month was a little light on effort to up the lactate. 

Well up and down my hill this morning and 40 miles for the week which is the biggest week in two monthsimage. Got a 10k race tomorrow but will just run it steady as a training run.