Options

HADD Training Method

Comments

• Options
    daveymckdaveymck ✭✭✭
    Thoughts on races during training for a marathon, if following 18 week plan would you put in any halfs and 10k's?  If Yes what would you do and when and would you replace your long run with it or the sub lt session.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    daveymck - when I'm coaching I encourage my runners to race once a month, as marathon training can be a bit of a slog and I find it does refresh motivation.   For a 10k I would just use that as a replacement for a tempo type run.
    With the half marathon I substitute that for a long run, as I think a half done at race pace is easily equivalent to 15 or 16 miles long run.   I prefer that they don't taper for the half, not necessary during marathon training and they often get a PB at the half.  I use the half time as a  predictor for achievable marathon time.

For 10k, any time in the schedule that suits.   For a half, say 4 or 5 weeks before marathon, that depends on the runner, if they recover well then closer to marathon day.
  • Options
    Agree with Shades, I found it really tough only racing once every six weeks, let alone every eighteen weeks!
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    How many marathons have you done, Shades?! 
    Steady away for me at the moment. Rest day after a late night last night.  Ran Mon and Tuesday.  Indications that pace at easy pace is beginning to pick up... but not enough evidence to be sure yet.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    NorthEnder - good news that you are starting to get an idea that pace is improving, it's such a good feeling and makes the training more enjoyable.

I will be running my 350th marathon at Hereford this weekend :)
  • Options
    Nice milestone Shades!
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Oh.... My.... Goodness!
  • Options
    daveymckdaveymck ✭✭✭
    Shades - thanks for that looking at the races nearby will prob do a half 5 weeks out and few 10k's earlier on.  Guess you dont prescribe to the 2 marathons a year that a lot of folk seem to say is the max should do.

Martyn -  I have only done 4 races since I started running in 2014 , think the GNR put me off when ended up in a ambulance after 1 mile with really bad cramp.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    350! :o  B)

Gradually getting back to work. Only run 18 miles since London and will not be running this weekend either ... however 86 miles on the bike and 96x25m of front-crawl, so hanging in there. Need to get more serious next week, Wed evening is a 5K race which will come as something of a shock!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    daveymck - I never encourage anyone to run marathons whether it's just one or hundreds.   We all know that you have to really want to do a marathon, to put yourself through the training and overcome any difficulties in the event isn't easy.   Some people can't face that more than once a year, never mind twice.   A lot depends on how long it takes to recover from a marathon and when you do more you do recover more quickly.   Then if you have an addictive personality such as I do......but there are lots of runners that do 50 a year now so I'm fairly lightweight compared to them, I do 15-20 a year and that's all in 6 months as I don't like racing in colder weather.   Hadd training for the other 6 months :)

Dr Dan - looks like you're well into the triathlon training
  • Options
    Iprice1974Iprice1974 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone haven't been on here for a while, been really struggling to get out running with a mix of illness, Spanish exchange students, house rennovation and work but managed a two hour jog the other day, my stats from run are below but wondering if anyone can feed back on my HR, I've estimated by MHR to be 190 from a HR taken from hard treadmill intervals plus 5:

Mile 1 - 11:45 / 138
    Mile 2 - 12:34 / 146
    Mile 3 - 12:36 / 146
    Mile 4 - 13:03 / 150
    Mile 5 - 12:41 / 149
    Mile 6 - 12:45 / 150
    Mile 7 - 12:53 / 156
    Mile 8 - 12:45 / 151
    Mile 9 - 12:41 / 151
    Mile 10 - 12:20 / 150

Was supposed to be an easy effort and on and old school field but not a flat run by any means, I actually felt relatively fresh when i finished and wasn't out of breath at all and could happily started again, oddly enough miles 8,9 and 10 felt like the easiest ones of run.

I realise my pace is nowhere near as quick as some folks but have got to start somewhere!

• Options
    Daveymck - I would imagine that Hadd is more beneficial with pure Hadd and no races messing up the aerobic base, so only four races in three years would be a good thing if training by HR. 
    The lesson I have learnt through the last training cycle is to stop tapering for every single race, and instead maybe use the race as my long run for the week, and take an extra day off in the build up to the race, but everyone's different. 

Good work Dr Dan, despite the lack of running, you are working on the key areas for the Triathlon as the running will take acre of itself with your aerobic base. 

Keep going iprice, consistency is the key to improving. 

I am finally back running, with four runs this week, totalling just 10.86 miles as I ease myself back in via a reverse taper.
    I had no luck getting Saturday morning off work so my 5K PB will have to wait to hopefully this coming Saturday if I can bribe someone into letting me start later. 
    I've still got car trouble so have walked 27 miles this week, and run home twice with a less than ideal heavy rucksack on.

Running weekly stats were
    Average pace 11:57
    Average Heart rate 131 67%
    Total time 2 hours 11 mins
    Weight 169 only 3lb higher than my lowest recent recording, surprising seeing that I feel very fat at the moment.

How has everyone else's weeks gone? Another race for Shades?
  • Options
    Iprice1974Iprice1974 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Martyn, I'm tending to run by time and ignoring the stats until after, I just wish my pace was quicker and HR coming down 
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Hi Iprice,
    I'm not an expert but not sure that Hadd would call that 'a jog'.  If your HRmax is 190 then your easy pace should be around 70% of that, shouldn't it?  (133 bpm max)

Your run stats look more like what you might expect from his prescribed threshold run...  and they suggest that you're comfortable at the heart rate.  Again, if your HRmax is 190, then you're already looking comfortable at 80% HRmax, which would be pretty impressive if you've not been training too much.

Have to question if 190 really is your max.   Worth testing by a recognised exercise method (which probably won't be using a treadmill. But anyway, as I understand it, you look in pretty good shape.  If you want to "Hadd" then your other runs each week should mainly be around 133 max (until you confirm your HR max).  
  • Options
    Iprice1974Iprice1974 ✭✭✭
    Cheers Northender some good info / points, if thats my Threshold then surely I couldn't run for that long at Threshold, can't help but wonder if MHR might be too low perhaps, think I'd be walking quickly on the flat at 133 like.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iprice - don't worry about your running pace, that will improve in time.   It might be an idea to say do a parkrun or something similar, do you have any races planned so you can check if your MHR is right?   But you are improving in that the cardiac drift is less, if your MHR is right you need to slow down as you shouldn't be letting your HR go over 75% (146 bpm) and ideally aiming nearer 70% as NorthEnder has said.

You would certainly be able to run 10 miles at a higher HR than a base training range, that's what most of the runners you see out running are doing.  I run a marathon at 86% but an ILTHR is 77-80% MHR for me.

Martyn - goods to hear you're back training, bad news that you still have car trouble though.

Hereford Marathon - Good drive up to Hereford on Saturday. Had a bit of a sore throat and felt like I might be getting a mild cold, but on race morning although my throat was still a little sore I didn't feel any worse, I didn't take my RHR in case it was high and that might scare me.

Short drive to race venue, very friendly and I knew half of the runners, only 48 finishers in the marathon.   The race organisers limited the entry as they wanted to test the course out as this is the first single lap marathon in Hereford for several years.   We were expecting the 'Grade 4' hill which turned out to be a long drag from mile 4 to mile 7 with a steep bit which I had to walk.   However, we weren't expecting the next 15 miles to be quite so undulating, quite tough as every corner we went round there was yet another gentle climb.  Course levelled out for the last 4 miles.   Quite warm in some places, some runners struggling in the heat but no warmer than 18 degrees but sun was strong.   Course was lovely, mostly quiet roads and through some beautiful chocolate box villages and the fruit orchards were in full bloom, a beautiful part of the country. 

I got to halfway in 2:20 and then moved up from 47th place to finish in 38th place, 2nd half was 6 minutes slower than first half, so that was better than last couple of races.   Finished in 4:45:59.

I think my groin pain is history as it hurt for about 10 minutes at mile 6 then faded and nothing after that.

• Options
    Iprice1974Iprice1974 ✭✭✭
    Cheers Shades, no I've no races planned but you're right my MHR might well be not correct, I'm actually just running by feel at the minute and trying to keep everything conversational and then checking the stats at the end.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iprice - well in that case you need to do an MHR test or a parkrun, I would avoid the treadmill.   You can Google various methods of MHR tests, warning they're not pleasant which is why a race is the easiest way to do it.
  • Options
    Iprice1974Iprice1974 ✭✭✭
    I've googled before and remember they require a lot of determination and will!  Today's run was really tough, on the old school field again but the heavens opened and a wind whipped up just before half way and my tshirt, shorts, socks and trainers were waterlogged never mind that the ground got really heavy, I'm thinking thats what caused my HR to jump up so I really really slackened the pace off to try and compensate but to no avail: (average pace / average hr)

Mile 1 12:02 / 135
    Mile 2 12:32 / 146
    Mile 3 12:37 / 146
    Mile 4 12:44 / 148
    Mile 5 12:49 / 153
    Mile 6 13:03 / 160
    Mile 7 12:59 / 159
    Mile 8 12:28 / 159

This was 10am this morning and had done 50 minutes at 6.30pm last night and have to admit once the rain kicked in and my kit was soaked my legs really started to feel heavy, perhaps I should have stopped at mile 4.  Again, I run by feel and only checked stats after (might sound daft but I say the Lord's Prayer to check my pace is conversational), not convinced the Garmin didn't have a couple of glitch moments as the HR graph has a few strange peaks and troughs.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iprice - why don't you go for a run on the roads, I'm sure it would be a lot easier.

I think you need to start observing what your HR is doing during your run to keep your HR down.   I can keep up a conversation at 80-85% quite easily so that's not really a good judge of HR.   All the time you're running at the higher HR's you are depriving yourself of quality base training in the initial stages of your training.
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I wrote this some days ago... just noticed it still here, not posted.  So here goes with a slightly outdated post!

Well done shades... good news about the groin strain.  In the past, I've had them occasionally and they've often niggled forever but rather than slowly fade, they always seem to disappear almost in a moment. So hope that's you too.

IPrice... it's a nuance, but I said "prescribed" threshold run.  In Hadd's view, the plan is to get to a point where you can do 10 miles, with no drop in pace, at your goal marathon heart rate, and still feel fresh at the end of it.  If you read his literature, that 10 mile session, run once a week, is a central tennet of his plan. As you'd run 10 miles, I assumed that you were doing that run... but clearly it was just a coincidence!.   This ILTHR (initial lactate threshold heart rate) is different from the commonly known LT... "how fast can you run for an hour".   If you've not read his main threads, then it might be worth investing the time.

Update...  I just entered a couple of races... including my first off road marathon next month... the Midnight Mountain Marathon, up Pen y Fan in the Brecon Beacons.  Got to up my mileage properly now!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    NorthEnder - I guess that means you're running at night up mountains!
  • Options
    Iprice1974Iprice1974 ✭✭✭
    Cheers Shades and Northender, probably do need to scroll back, the things that were buzzing round my head were the don't be a slave to the heart monitor comment and also the one about running at 5k pace plus three minutes at looking for some stability at those levels.
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    NorthEnder - I guess that means you're running at night up mountains!

Well done, Sherlock!
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Night - Mountains - sounds worse than cross country! ;-)

Busy busy busy - away at the weekend and then again on Tuesday, so not much running going on! First run since last Friday was a Wed night 5K - I managed 20:01 (123 out of 373 - some fast folk there!). Happy enough, especially as I had cycled 11 miles and had done 64x25m of front crawl earlier the same day, but another 2 s would have been nice. Away again in Glasgow for 2 days, so will need a good weekend of training to catch up.
  • Options
    Iprice1974Iprice1974 ✭✭✭
    Bit of an odd question but is it possible to incorporate any form of hill training into  HADDing?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iprice - I don't think Hadd meant by not being a slave to your HRM doesn't mean to ignore it :D    We all have occasions when it's not always possible to stick to our BT, running with others, races, club runs etc.

Re hills, most of my routes are undulating so I ease up on the approach to a slight hill so my heartrate drops a bit and then I have a few more beats in hand to use on the incline but usually still managing to stay within range.

Now that I'm on to doing ILTHR I do one a week over a hilly route and try and keep my HR no higher than 80% on the hills.   Unfortunately due to my groin injury I've not done as much hilly work as I would have liked and my hilly ultra is in 2 weeks time.

• Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Agree with shades there.  You need to decide how dedicated you are looking to developing your aerobic base in a 'Hadd' way. Then, apart from something occasional, you should try to limit your hill pace to keep your heart rate within the limits.  Personally, I think that having some hills in your ILTHR runs has got to be a good thing.
    Obviously, Hadd would have encouraged traditional hill sessions... once you've got your aerobic base sorted.

Got a couple of longer runs lined up this weekend. Hopefully the HR is ok...  on yesterday's 45 minute run, it was about 10 beats up on where I'd have expected.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    NorthEnder - hope the rise in your HR yesterday was just a blip, we all get runs like that.

I guess you'll be doing a bit of hill training yourself for your night race, is it waymarked or just to make it harder self navigation?
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Hey shades. The night element is not as challenging as it sounds.  The concept is that the race starts  at 5.30pm and with the challenge to be finished by midnight.  As the course goes up and down South Wales's biggest mountain, Pen y Fan (>2700ft... with a total elevation over the course of about 4300ft), it is "not quite Manchester"... and doing that course in 6.5hrs should be achievable for me, but not a certainty - especially given that I don't want to push myself hard.  It means that only the last hour or two will be in the dark and I do understand that it's well waymarked.
    I did say that I'd entered two races... and this will be the less challenging of the two... indeed, I'm really doing it to gain experience and practice ahead of my first ultra.