Options

HADD Training Method

Comments

• Options

Andi - well done - you got under your target I believe?image

• Options

Nice going Andi! despite the knee, you still got what you wanted image

Not long till Beachy ..... image

I'll report in properly later if I can, no internet at home (thanks BT image) so have to fit some in here! Things are going quite well I think tho

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

I knew I'd regret not posting for a while...

Dr Dan congrats on the VLM placeimage, and well done on that hilly 10k

VT cotton wool time now - you're looking in great shape

Stewart well done fella.  You'll smash it in Lochaber image, just get the slow miles in...

Cheesy you've certainly been getting those long runs inimage

Roy how did it go?

Chick how was the run?

Booktrunk welcomeimage

BeDe poor you !  Certainly not been your yearimage

Carrie well done on those 5k+3 runs - like BeDe says, carry on with them for a while

Carter well done on the week's total, sensible decision re the knee

Spen hope you're ok

Andi YAY!!!!imageimage well done matey !!

Feeling a little beaten up here after my biggest month everimage: 311.3m @ 8:22 mm avg.pace and 72.6% avgmaxHR.  [To put that in context, September 2012 was 285m @ 9:25mm avg. pace and similar HR.]

• Options

Tek - your stats just shows everyone what can be done - 1 min/mile better pace over 12 mths and with such a low % avgmaxHR. An inspiration to all those joining the thread image.

• Options

Hi all,   LN marathon was good, well worth the trek up north.

My chip did not work and having devil of a time trying to sort out.

Unofficial timings only I am afraid,

miles

10 in 80.17 125bpm  HRA at 75%

half distance in 1.44.53

20 in 2.41.00 132bpm HRA at 83%

Next 6 miles HRA up to 87% at 139bpm , tried to push on but the legs by this time was having none of it and finished in 3.33.23 massive improvement on my last marathon of 32mins but No official conformation.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Tek - fantastic month and fantastic improvement.image

• Options

Roy - great stuff and what a new PB

Teknik - that's a lot of miles for one month ! Like BeDe says, thats an inspiration to us newbies and just confirms what can be done. It also confirms what you guys keep saying, we need to be patient !

This is week 7 of HADDing for me. I have only managed 156 miles in that time so there isnt really any improvement yet. I will keep plugging away at it and with my increased mileage the results will hopefully start improving. 

• Options

Roy, congrats! Sorry to hear about the chip business, but what I took away was a 30+ min PB. Simply fanimagetastic!

Tek, I am in awe. That is a serious month of mileage (and building on all the others that are similarly big!). And to see your pace drop by 1 min should be the big reward. Such a huge increase in fitness. I think one of my goals for next year is to see if I can shave another half minute off my 70ish%  efforts.

BeDe, antimicrobial thoughts headed your way.

• Options

Roy - thats more than 1min/mile faster pace than last time - superb!!imageimage

VT - thx. I mustn't get too down, after all I did get a PB in March!! image and I keep telling everyone else to be patient - now it's my turnimage

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Just popping in to say well done to the marathoners Stewart, Andi and Roy.
    Recover well....
    Welcome booktrunk.
    VT, good weekend stuff. Be careful now!
    Carter, I know you are rehabbing an injury so you are sensible to keep the runs shorter at the moment. When you feel able up the standard runs to 70 and 90mins and the improvements will come.
    Similar thoughts for Carrie too. Vary your route and try and up the time to longer than an hour.
    DrDan, see you in London.
    Teknik, thats a shed load of miles. Big up to you.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

BeDe hope the chest is a little betterimage

Roy fantastic PB! imageimage...32 minutes is a huge chunk

DrDan thanksimage

Carter - just keep plugging. My first month of Hadd (July 2012) was at 10:26m paceimage

VT hope you're taking it easy

Brian thanks, hope things are all ok with you

Lo-subLT for me this morning. 1m w/up then 10m with a 80/81% lid came out as 7:39mm.  Breathing much better, happy that the autumn weather has started.image 

• Options

BeDe, looks like we cross posted when you asked about Loch Ness. Am slowly feeling better about my result than at first and still wearing the T-shirt (and often the medal lol). How is the chest infection now? and your right, it's not been a good Year for you image

spen, Stewart answered your Q well. I heard lots of people moaning about how hilly it was but my Garmin shows an incline of 2164ft and decline of 3087ft so yes, it was hilly(ish) but have seen much worse in training - training for downhill running is probably more important than uphill for this.

Carrie, thanks and yup, beer and massage has helped me recover lol

Txs Cheesy and yup, 1 sec/mile faster than planned time although that was more by luck than judgement as I was losing a couple of seconds/mile in the last few miles. You in taper for Beachy now?

Teknik, txs for the "YAY" and yup, you can't leave here for more than a day else you'll never catch up. WOW at the mileage, your banking some amazing miles now and it looks as if it's paying big dividends! Like you I'm looking forward to the Autumn as long as the winds stay down and think everybody's HADDing will bring big benefits as things cool down.

Roy, any news on getting your time sorted yet? Am still in awe at your PB smashing! how long have you been running and how many Marathons have you done?

Carter, I think many people start then leave HADDing too early and glad you appreciate the need for patience, this is my 4th Month of 'proper' HADDing and think the benefits are coming along nicely now.

Txs Brian, hope your keeping well?

Ventured outside for the first time earlier and just 'ran' 1 mile in my VFF's (am considering trying to run Loch Ness in them next Year but not sure 1 Year is long enough to properly condition myself?).

LOL, great stats but as it was just a mile I guess they should be ignored? 1 mile in 10:57 averaging 64.89% with a MAX of 71.28%.

• Options

Just checking in. Yes, am taking it easy so far this week. Ran 8 easy miles yesterday. My energy level was good but my legs still felt pretty beat up. So no run today and will do my final subLT of the buildup tomorrow (I think I'll do maybe 5 miles at pace and 3 miles to warm up/cool down). Then Friday off, Sat as I feel, and 13 Sunday. After that it's marathon week. I'm ready to let all the hard work of the past month catch up to me so I can fully absorb it.

Brian, Dan, Tek, hope all is well as you get ready too. And nice subLT, Tek. Amazing what the cool weather can do for a subLT, eh?

• Options

Morning all.

An 8.29 trot into work for me this morning. It felt quite hard going today for some reason and the stats confirm that - AVR 74.8% @ 10:00 min miles which is way higher than normal. I was carrying a rucksack so this must have a fairly a big impace on my stats, hopefully thats it anyway. The good news is that this run was my longest road run in 3 months and the knee wasnt too bad. Hopefully, I can steadily increase the mileage and get more benefit from HADDing.

Is anyone racing this weekend ?

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

A heads-up: Overdid it last week culminating in a grumbling hamstring after Tuesdays track session. Rested Wed, Fri and Sat and felt ok for the HM on Sunday. Told myself if i felt any pain I would jack it. Anyway warm-up was fine and the race itself had a small (about a mile) loop of the village before embarking on 1 big lap. So I set off and didn't feel it on the small lap. On the big lap it was into the wind to start with (and up to the 8Mile point!) and I increased the effort level. I did become aware of the hammy after about 3 miles and it got very gradually worse. Finished the race and was in pain when sitting or bending.

The upshot is I haven't run since Sunday, and I have physio today at lunchtime. Marathon (2 weeks on Sunday) plans are up in the air at the moment. Apologies for my self-indulgent sulk.

• Options

Brian - sulk away all you like........ How did you get on at the physio ?

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Fizz says it's not torn (phew!). The problems are in my lower back, hips and obviously hamstrings. My right hip is the worst for tightness and therefore the left side works harder. Thus the left side is my problem side.

Can run tomorrow for 20mins but with a good (gym) warm-up. Trampet preferably, or brisk walk on the treadie.

Bad news is I might have to run the mara after all! image

• Options

That's good news. No more sulking then image

• Options

Brian,

Tough break...I feel for you. Glad to hear it isn't a tear. Do you think some ART + stretching + strengthening work may do it? I'm constantly surprised how well this combo can bring things back online (and quickly!). Hope today's effort is good...let us know.

• Options

Brian - well, look on the bright side - a weekend in Amsterdam can't be that bad even if you have to run 26 milesimage

Hope you get it sorted - fingers crossed for you.

• Options

Brian - Sorry to hear about the leg.   Any problems I see to get is from one weak glute.

Well done every one else on the marathon/training.

Ive decided what Im going to do about the lack of hill training.   Basically it is

2 x 80%

1 hour @75%

2 hour @75%

hill reps

and 1 very longgggggggg and very slowwwwwwwwwwww hilly off road run.

Hopefully will get me ready for next ultra in better shape.

• Options

Andi: Taper starts Saturday, I have one more long run tommorow, which will be 24-25 miles, probably around 5hrs again. Then its 3 weeks of taper image Really starting to look forward to it.

Teknik: yeah, been quite pleased with them. I looked back over the last ones, and for the 18+ I have done these: (with 15-17 ones in between)

18             144hr(77.4%)  12.57mm

20             no hr              13.00mm

22             140hr(75%)     13.16mm

23             137hr(73.6%)  12.46mm

23.5           146hr(78%)    12.47mm

18              142hr(76%)    11.40mm

What I have learned:

There is no way I can keep hr low on uphills, my training is mainly hilly so I go by the average only now.

Running in 25deg + heat adds 5 to your hr often!

Hr recovery is now a LOT faster after a hill. I get on the flat and it drops low 130's, I go down hill it drops into the 120's. I like this image

If I run slow on almost flat ground my hr often stays 120 ish. even my Tempos are fairly low.

I can now sustain mid range hr for quite some time, see the 18miles at 11.40 image compared to the earlier 18 miles at 12.57mm

This I am sure is mainly down to my at least trying to work HADD over a fair time period, even tho it doesnt happen too well on my hilly bits. This and the very long easy runs which are not everyones cup of tea, but I feel they have really helped my running come along nicely, and actually look forward to the tempos and steady state runs now, as I can see and feel the difference, which at 55 is a good feeling.

Paul

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys.

Will decide tomora whether to run. Depends on how I feel. Could be sore - fizz did give me some pastie....

Keep up the good work everybody peeps

• Options

Well, good luck Brian.

Went out for my final subLT tonight. All systems go. My calf was good...not ITB issues...and turned in 5 m @ 7:10 m/m @ 82%. I felt great...pace was comfy and was ready to continue (but came to my senses!). Easy 5 tomorrow and probably a bit more MP stuff during Sunday's long run.

Starting to visualize the race more and more.

• Options

VT, Brian, looking out for you folks, hope your bodies hold out.

Teknik, not long now, with all your millage in the " bag " you must feel confident.

Stewart, Alistair, Andi,  how are your legs ?                                                                       Having a easy parkrun this Saturday and Marshalling at the Cardiff half this Sunday.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

VT, great when the adaptations occur and you feel invincible. Wrap yourself in cotton woolimage

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

That's unlucky, Brian. I hope you get to run.

roy - just noticed your whopping pb, brilliant !!

• Options

Cheesy, enjoy your long run today image not long until the maddess takes over

Brian, hoping the physio session has helped and you're able to run

VT, nice LT run, looking good image

Roy, the legs are good have managed some light plodding over the last couple of days keeping the average below 75%, enjoy parkrun and marshalling this weekend

• Options

Carter, ne'er mind about the odd run that doesn't match the 'norm' am sure your due a(nother) WTF run soonimage

Brian, hope the Hammy is better? whimp here would probably have bowed out of the race last weekend and tried to remain fit enough for the Mara.

VT, newbie Q alert, what is ART? and it sounds like all systems are go for you now image

spen, one thing I learnt from my last (ok first) Marathon is that whilst I didn't do hill reps the terrain here stood me in good stead however, on downhill sections I was trying to lower my HR so neglected downhill training and paid the price bigtime so will concentrate more on downhill running this time around I think.

Cheesy, your long runs sound hardcore and am sure they will ensure you get no endurance issues. Like you, hills that used to get my HR above 80% before the top can now be climbed much more easily and this bout of base building I'll try to lower it even more and take walk breaks again if needed.

Roy, thanks for asking, legs are pretty much ok now and going downstairs forwards is almost painless. I am taking the week off but will do a couple more short runs in my VFF's (with the silly notion I'll be able to run 26.2 miles in them next September lol). Good luck with the 'easy' parkrun tomorrow and good to hear you Marshall as well image

1.5 miles today in the VFF's, felt a bit harder than the single mile on Weds,  AHR was up to almost 73% and blew my idea of not going over 75% of MAX with a 79%. Such short distances don't provide realistic stats but am enjoying trying out the bikilas again.

• Options

Andi, Active Tissue Release (ART)...basically deep massage of soft tissues to treat injuries. Pretty interesting discipline actually (e.g. moving fascia in upper calf/shin could help problems in the foot). Anyway, sometimes things can truly hurt so good.

6 mile recovery effort today. Calf a bit sore, but not too bad.