Options

Dublin Marathon

Comments

• Options
    The times now being shown are chip time where available, clock time where not available (ie 85% are correct).
  • Options
    Where do you get all your info from lotc?

My time is still wrong. I thought that they would publish splits as well.
  • Options
    They published the raw data before they realised that there were problems. By the time they removed it I had saved a version.

You were one of the unlucky 15% who didn't get a correct start time. Your half way time was 2.14.13 and you overtook 450 people in the second half of the race if that is of any interest.
  • Options
    Hurrah I got an email back stating the following:

""We had a problem with our data import routine which went unnoticed until
    midmorning. This should now be fixed""

And they have been changed - hurrah 4.58 after all!!!!
  • Options
    They have updated the times now and mine is as i expected it. Apart from this glitch I was very impressed with the organisation. The support from the crowds was tremendous and there is no way i would have made it without it. Dublin was my first marathon and I staggered across the line in 4:12, a little dazed and emotional. Those last 5 miles were a killer. I and many people around me were taking walk breaks towards the end. Kept passing the same people walking only to have them run past me while I walked. I thought I would be fighting fatigue, but in fact I was fighting the pain in my legs.

Am just about able to walk now without groaning with every step. Great experience, would recommend it and would do it again.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    My time is till wrong, I'll email them tonight as I can't remember my race number.
  • Options
    WarrenDWarrenD ✭✭✭
    Well done to all on some impressive times. It was my second marathon, having ran the same race last year in 3.23 and not felt an ounce of pain...it was a completely diferent experience this year. Felt okay going through halfway in 1.33, then the tiredness started to creep in from mile 16 but I managed to fight off the negative voices in my head telling me to stop until the 20th mile when I had to walk for a couple of minutes. Managed to get going again, but miles 21 to 24 were agony. The crowds around town were great motivators and I managed a good last 2 miles to finish 3.07.16. Never again I said.

See you all next year!
  • Options
    What a mistake it was going over with my brother, who encouraged me to drink far more beer than i wanted ended up drunk as a lord, not getting to bed till gone 3am, then dragging myself down to the start line just on time.
    First six miles were absolute murder, felt sick couldn't focus just kept plodding, came round a little for the next ten to twelve miles then struggled on till 23 when started getting a sharp pain in my knee, which almost caused to quit or at least walk. Managed to find a spurt of energy for last 800 metres or so, so probably looked pretty good on home straight, but can honestly say I didnt enjoy one moment of the race. Brother found it all very amusing and has suggested we do it again, that'll only happen if he runs as well, as he had the luxury of sleeping in till ten, then ambling down to the finish line to gloat.
    Finished in 3:13 which although my 3rd best from 7 marathons is ultimately disappointing as I felt with luck, I could've got close to sub 3
  • Options
    I read your post with a knowing grin Andy .... I know exactly just how you felt seeing as I had made the same misjudgment a week earlier at Amsterdam. Just as well you didnt do a sub 3 or you would have to get hammered every pre race night. We live and learn ....
  • Options
    oh look sorry
    im cooking tea and sorting out my wardrobe
    Just let me finish the breadcrumbs and poached hicken

Ive imbibed sufficient gin now
  • Options
    herewith the Dublin report from Hippo

Typical race prep
    a week on call, with Thursday night spending 5 hours on the phone literally trying to save a life—no, it didn’t work.Two of my other patients died as well, and disturbed in the early hours a couple of times
    well stressed by Friday----GIN!
    Caught plane to Dublin on Sat am, which meant getting up at 4
    Expo and forumite meets on Saturday
    breakfast run on Sunday—thigh whinging loudly and back seized
    oh dear
    then the Arse lost to Man U
    Wont do a sub 5 then
    Relatively early night and not too much booze

Weather forecast completely wrong, phew
    looks like a nice day
    Chatting to steady I got stuck in the middle of the pack—oh no, but it was toolate

off we go then
    this is a nice run
    I don’t care about my time
    Off we go up O’Connell street
    Time going really quickly
    pass lots of walkers but they arent a hindrance and they look proud to be there

feel pleased at that, but a little nonplussed by the lass lighting up before the first mile

15 minutes

SHIT
    where are the mile markers?

pani until I see the first at mile 3, a little red thing
    Ok
    im 11 min miling
    Uphill

oh dear
    Right
    now the plan is to do 3 hours non stop running
    that’s my goal
    forget about pbs
    forget you did a marathon 3 weeks ago

Im too hot
    im struggling and sweating, and I miss the first water statiom

its ok
    remember it takes 30 minutes to settle

we hit phoenix park
    I think this was 5-9 miles

it was beautiful

the colours
    all downhill too
    I feel ok
    get through 10k in 67 minutes—get to 8 miles without hitting my usual wall, oooooooooh
    then bak out on the road and its hard again
    gusts of wind
    every hill a struggle im SO tired
    slurp luco sport before a sharp incline at mile 9, and make it up
    Lots walking now
    Shades catches me at mile 12
    shes walking faster than im running
    we are against the wind, oh god I would be quicker walking
    But theres the 3 hours
    I tell her about it, and then she shoots off into the distance(a race aint the same without Shades bum and hair)
    Right, grit teeth, come on
    half way point in 2.28.28
    that’s ok

bit shocked by hearing my name at the music stop-my real name
    elderly bloke with picture on his front tries to talk to me
    I don’t want camaraderie now—leave me alone

running, deep deep within myself
    3 hours
    3 hours

and then im there, but its downhill-could I do 16 miles?
    I do in 3.03, and last till 3.05

Then a 3 min walk break

mistake
    legs screaming in pain
    and I bloody well cant run any more
    fell sick and dizzy-after gatorade I feel sick, and im in despair now
    ive done so well, but Im looking at walking the last 10 miles
    which means over 6 hours
    bollox bollox, bollox
    the world narrows to cars and lampposts

ultra mentality

run/stagger to the next one, sometimes I can go further sometimes I cant

cannot cope with the wind at all
    all around, I see people suffering as badly as me—very different to FLM
    Hit 20 miles in 3.58, ok, ok, hang on there

at 24 miles, I realise I could pb if only I could do 12 minute miles
    I might as well be asking a 4 min mile of my body
    NO WAY
    don’t know how I got here
    But I can do sub 5.30
    and I do
    I even manage a sprint finish

Bllody hell that was hard
    I squeezed the toothpaste tube too hard-----lets see what happens in 2 weeks

• Options
    and the marshal, kids and foreign(especially canadian ) support was brilliant
  • Options
    Well done Hipps
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Plodding hippo that was fab. You should get that in the mag as an inspiration for the rest of us :-)
  • Options
    ha ha
    my reports are all like that
    im amazed i ever finish a race
  • Options
    Sorry hips I was so busy chatting I didn't realise where we were.
  • Options
    a fine excuse!;)
  • Options
    ...or that we had started...
  • Options
    I was busy trying to keep my own pain subliminated and helping my fellow walker to maintain pace, even though he did sometimes notice when I tried to pick up a bit. Kept him going anyway and he finished well, absolutely over the moon to have completed his first mara - Mr. Tynesider, if you're out there reading this, please join in and give us your experience of 'a day in Dublin'.
  • Options
    oh yeah
    thank god for the chips
    how did you do?
  • Options
    FA or should I say IA - thanks for the help upto half way. You were a massive calming influence to us both I think. When Caz and I talked after the run it seemed like we both had the same fears after about halfway - we'd started too fast, did that mile sign say 14? never seen one of those before etc etc. You seemed to have a fair amount of confidence in us that we possibly didn't at the time. Hope the foot gets better soon.

Faith - A good job Dawson Street isn't too far away from the start ;) Well done for the sub 4 as well.

Andy Sly - a night on the piss and still you run the 3rd best marathon you have ever done!!!!! Hmm something not quite fair about that.

Well done to everybody else who had good runs.
  • Options
    Hippo that report of yours alone is worth a sub5 !!!!

Back from the hospital, Snowdon is a no-no, have to go back next tuesday for my x-rays to be analysed again :(
    fingers crossed for Stevenage now.

I'd have taken your advice Shades anyway, i am so pent up with frustration at not being able to run, but if i did do another marathon this weekend i'd be laid up for a lot longer i suppose.
  • Options
    Barry, you're welcome, you both seemed to be running strong so i had no intention of asking you to slow down, i was in pain from the start but kept it to myself, i would have done my best to make sure both you and Caz got your sub4's no matter how much it hurt me :)

Perhaps when you return from Oz we can arrange a marathon race between the 3 of us, nothing wrong with a bit of competition :)

ps, have a great time down under, hope you get to do some quality races down there (it'll look really good on your running CV) :)
  • Options
    shite ant is it a stress fracture?
  • Options
    yep Hippo, unfortunately, though the x-rays haven't been conclusive today :(
    I heard it go 'crunch' shortly before mile 23 as did a couple of other runners in close proximity, i can only describe the feeling as running on a beach barefoot and crushing shells underfoot.
    Its the toe adjacent to my big toe that is the main concern, it maybe the 2nd metatarsal, should have more news when i return back to hospital next week.
  • Options
    noooooooooooooo
    eeeeeeek, horrible
    are you having a bone scan?
  • Options
    Oh IA that sounds very painful - leg up methinks.

Thats so selfish breaking your bone so loudly and putting other runners off!!
  • Options
    dew dodo

you have it to a t
  • Options
    A late post I realise ;-)
    First, well done to everyone. Some great times (and stories) posted.

I ran 3:28 which is a PB, however off my 3:20 target to qualify for Boston.
    Leaves me two options:
    1. Run another marathon ASAP (while my fitness is still there)
    2. Pack up my shoes and look for something else to do (cross-stitching sounds good :-)

What killed me was the start. I got there too late and was caught at the end of crowd. That meant for the first 2 miles I was constantly overtaking slower runners & walkers. So by mile 2 I was already 3.5 mins off my pace!! I passed half-way at 1:40 (back on time), but I'd spent too much energy in doing that and 21-23 then killed me!!

Anyway, still enjoyed the event, and can't complain with a PB.

So, wise runners out there. I'm seriously thinking of going to Florence 28th Nov. What's people's view on running two marathons in 5 weeks? Any feedback, stories etc...

Thanks.