Options

Dublin Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Plum...what happened? Where's Tigg? Sorry I missed ya....
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Updated results still don't show a chip time for me (or Hilary), must have been a duff mat at the start.
  • Options
    My time was almost exactly the same as my watch time...go figure....

Shades...didn't you finish in under 4, and Hillary too? ;o)
  • Options
    Running Caz,

I'm glad you made it back onto dry land, perhaps a flight next time heh ? :)

I'm glad i offered some assistance (albeit a little) in both you and Barry's excellent first marathons.
    Foot is still sore, have emailed Snowdon organisers and have cancelled my entry (probably a wise move) have to go back to hospital next tuesday to find out more about the foot, they suspect it maybe a stress fracture :(

As for that challenge, you up for Blackpool 2005 :) (Bringing the missus and kids to that one, its hopefully going to be a sub3 debut).

Lots of rest planned over the winter (only gym work, and maybe i'll have some swimming lessons too), then i'll keep to the trails and stay off the 'hard' road surfaces for a while.

Good luck with your running, and i'll see you in the future no doubt !
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Glo - Hilary did about 4.32 and I did 4.51, sub 4 in my dreams!!
  • Options
    Juicy, it didnt go ping. Only ached until Tuesday morning, then got more and more painful. I just thought I had damaged the ligaments under the foot. It is worth going and getting it checked!
  • Options
    No problem guys it was great to meet you all and blagg my way into the breakfast run - or should that be breakfast walk!

Shades I am still thinking about the half for Connemara - need a bit more recovery to consider committing to a full.

As I have said before I need to learn how to run!
  • Options
    Nice flat course? was I at the same race as you all seem to have been?

My previous 34 marathons really WERE on flat courses. The only one with any elevation at all was FLM going over Tower Bridge! Every other was completely absolutely dead flat, no uphill slope at all. This one was not.
  • Options
    Ironwolf, where were they???? need to know now to try for a sub-3!

Sorry, I've been lurking a bit while everyone's stories have been coming in. What can I say - every one deserves a massive pat on the back.

Great reports RC, PH, GH, G...., TD, Lotc, BfB, LC2, Multi, Mr.T, PB2

IA and Nellie64 - I know it's no consolation but hey they are fantastic injuries - well worthy of a few weeks off! We'ver all been there and hopefully you'll be on the roads soon.

A.P. Pseudo and Annabelle - awesome for a sub-3. Hope to emulate you guys at some point.

How is everyone's recovery going? I managed a very troublesome 2 miles on wednesday and a 4 miler at 7:15 pace this evening. Got a game of hockey tomorrow and I'll try a 7 miler on sunday but it's all hard work at the moment!
  • Options
    Toucan, recovery is great can now drink a full bottle of red again, not looking at running shoes again until mon though, making the most of a few 'heady' mornings first.

Ironwolf I too would like to know about those flat routes, you obviously aint done Belfast or Edinburgh!!

Next years planning underway did 3 this year fancy a couple more marathons and an ultra in 2005 any one got good suggestions besides Cardiff, already made mind up to do that one.
  • Options
    baldy, why not try Abingdon, there's a review of it on the RW home page links, a good atmosphere too :)
  • Options
    Well done you lot. I had hoped to get to Dublin this year, but didn't manage it. I'll try again in 2005.

Do I take it that it's generally recommended?
  • Options
    PH - we do seem to have been running close to each other. You mentioned three-legged men. I didn't see any, but Twinkle says they finished a couple of minutes before me. I was wearing a pale grey coloured vest with the name "Richie" on it. I'll probably wear it at other events (p'haps Reading half 2005) so if you see it come and say hello.

I had hoped to pop in to say hello to everyone at the Camden Court, but we had a teenage boy with us who had to be kept amused, and which meant that we had to search Dublin for pizza restaurants that did very plain pizzas.

We stayed at the Camden Deluxe Hotel, which used to be a theatre, and all the rooms are named after famous Irish actors. Twinkle and I were in the Brenda Fricker room and, by a strange coincidence, I've still got some pain in My Left Foot.
  • Options
    Ha Ha Mr T.Very good.
    Well done RC that was fantastic and just thinkwhat you have to come if that was a marathon debut.(It was wasn't it?)I think it is amazing to read some of the results people got timewise but also the stories of how some of us really suffered,yes IA I mean you,but still did it.
    I haven't run since Monday,wasit really only then it feels ages ago.I am having a well earned rest until Monday and then I am back on the roads again.Or the canal in my case.
    RC are you doing the Suicide Six?Thats fairly local to you isn't it?I am from Walsall so not too far for me either.
    I have now got to that feeling that because I haven't run for a few days I must have forgotten how to do it.I do hope not because I plan to enjoy my winter running.I am one of those saddos who would rather run in the winter than summer.Please someone remind me of that in January!!
  • Options
    It was good to run Dublin again but still I got the dreaded Reynauds in my left hand. I really must do something about that. It comes on about the 20 mile point regardless of the weather and is a real drag.

I haven't run till today, but I have just had a pleasant one hour in my new shoes. I will start my new regime in mid November.

This will consist of at least 4 x 18 mile cycling (work and back) with not less than 4 x 1 hour runs per 10 day period. One of these runs will be pushed back to 2 or 3 hours as the months go by with a spring Marathon intended.

And next year I am going back to Mt Ventoux. I aim to run up it, 5000'. This time I will be prepared with a water carrying rucksack to see me to the top and back.
  • Options
    Just been reading all your reports - Hippo - fantastic! Summed it all up beautifully.

Glo - sorry to have missed you at the hotel

Have had an enforced rest as was abroad for a few days for work

Legs have finally stopped aching, so can sleep properly now.

May even try running tomorrow

Still think that this was a once in a lifetime event for me though - it all seemed to come together on the day so no need to repeat really!
  • Options
    Just found the race photos - don't look too trashed surprisingly

Might even have to purchase one...as a small reminder
  • Options
    Steady, know what you mean as a fellow raynauds sufferer. Never found anything to help it though. However it bothers me less whilst runnign than the sciatica. Was tols us runners just have to put up with these things.

FA Abingdon sounds good, read RichKs page will fit it in me thinks.
  • Options
    All,

I did Dublin having done 2 London's and I thought the race was excellent. It was everything London had only better as the noise of the crowd in London does your head in when you just want to concentrate on your running for a bit. Dublin was a bit quieter and the crowds seemed to congregate on the corners and near the end of the run they closed in on the runners like the crowds on the mountains in the Tour de France which I found really exciting!

The course wasn't that hilly and the hills were quite short and there was a really good bit of downhill on 20 miles.

The wind was a bit of a factor though and coming into Dublin city centre on about 24 miles I could've done without the headwind!

The atmosphere was really good and the city is so friendly. My view may be a bit blinkered as I ran a PB by 31 minutes but I definitely want to go back - and if anyone is reading this wondering whether to do it - do it!! Especially if you miss out on London as everything that's good about London you get in Dublin (apart from runners off Eastenders!).

I also loved the three Welsh flags in the last 2 miles - they were a great boost to me!

Cheers

Tim
  • Options
    LC2 - yes, am doing the Suicide 6. Started a thread on it a while back, pop over and join us. We're having drink and lunch after if you would like to join us, would be nice to meet!

FA - eeerm, tempting though the offer is I shall decline the challange of Blackpool as its not fair that Barry wont be here (nothing to do with the fact you will be going for a sub 3, honest!!). ;-)

DBI - it really was flat, although hilly compared to Lake vernwy. If you like it flat do that one!!
  • Options
    Things must coming to an end folks, I see we have been relegated to the second page.

Injured Ant, just checked out abingdon again, think it will clash with Cardiff. Unfortunately Cardiff is the championships for my work and is a chance fo ra freebee trip to europe a 'must do'! If not i will be there.

All, come to Belfast next year, we are getting a new course, should be quicker and a hell of a lot flatter thatn before, plus its on a bank holiday and after FLM. Will be glad to lead a social too!!
  • Options
    I fancy belfast, i really do
  • Options
    Well two things happened today:
    1. Ran a 1:33 half marathon and felt absolutely great. Could have gone on for a bit.

2. Decided that off that back of this mornings run I would run the Florence marathon on Nov 28th.

03:20 is my target!!

Anyone else interested?
    I've checked the forum lists and looks like there's no forumites going - find it hard to believe.
  • Options
    Thanks Toucan! Trouble is, sitting with my foot up on the sofa, every day I have had to watch a guy running along the field at the back of the house. Rubbing my nose in it or what??!! When I can walk, let alone run, will be going round in circles as my left leg will have HUGE muscles, and the right one will have an ankle like a newborn!!
  • Options
    I have one word for Dantu
    NUTTER;)
  • Options
    Hippo you'd be welcome. Will have to start new thread for belfast, watch this space.

Dantu youve started it now, we will all or nearly all (Sorry N64) be chasing you now. I took a week off, watch club mates tomorrow, am keen to go!! Florence would be nice Mrs B says no chance for me though.:(
  • Options
    dont know if i can next year
    will probably be on sodding on call
  • Options
    Thanks for the moral support Hippo ;-)
    I'll let you know how I get on!!
  • Options
    ok dantu sorry hippo only jealous

trying to psyche self up for stevenage
  • Options
    Hi everyone, There are photos available at www.asiorders.com. You won't receive an e-mail for another week or 2 as they will still be going through them for more but you can log on now and see if they have any posted of yourself already.