Options

Dublin Marathon

Comments

• Options
    ...one more thing.
    If anyone wants to go to Florence, then let me know!
    Ryanair flights to Pisa are only £8.99 (plus tax)
  • Options
    Ploddinng Hippo - great report, brings back memories.
    Injured Ant - fingers crossed the injury is not as bad as you think it is - best of luck with it.
    Pseudo - when you are back online I will e-mail you so you have my address - would be good to do another run together - 10K or half marathon.
  • Options
    Comrades,

Firstly well done to one and all on completing the marathon. At 24 miles, and in pain, one glorious Irish lady was standing at the side of the road screaming, "come on, you are all winners, run !". Fair play to her, it did gee me up, and she is right, everyone who ran is a winner. Secondly, Annabelle, what a run and what a time, fantastic achievment and great reward for your training. Likewise Gavin, well done to you, all my friends and family pass on their regards. (we will no mention the Celtic result eh ?). Thirdly I was delighted with my time and run, (3hrs 4 mins) suffered from mile 21 onwards and was delighted to see the 26 mile marker. I kept with Annabelle until 20 miles and she just took off. Likewise Annabelle & Gavin, thanks for support and company round the route - much appreciated. Righto back to work and my Dublin Marathon memories, and remember, "you are all winners !".
  • Options
    the best sign I saw was "you are all heroes". Too true!
  • Options
    Paul Burns / Gavin and Annabelle - well done on your results. I had a nightmare start in that I was trying to find you guys and Pseudo but eventually decided to stay where I was and hope that as the race unfolded I would meet fellow sub 3 pace runners. At the start the starter said that there was 5 mins to go before the start so I climbed over the fencing and went for a pee with a few other runners behind a building - sods law half way through the gun went off!!!! Panic and we ran back and literally hurdled the fence and got back just in time for the crowds to start moving! I eventually caught Pseudo at 3or 4 miles and we ran together.
  • Options
    Well done everyone. I managed a pb of 3.19 and was thrilled. Had a huge smile on my face from the 25 mile marker to the finish as I "sprinted" for home.

Dantu I was chatting to a guy for a few miles who had run the Longford marathon only 4 weeks before Dublin. He did 3.26 in Longford and I met him at the finish and he had done 3.21 so go for that Boston qualifying time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Lovely report Hippo.
  • Options
    Couldnt walk on my right foot yesterday, sent to casualty. Ooops! Ligament has pulled a chunk off one of the bones in my foot. Crutches and feet up for at least 2 weeks. Still plotting my 2nd marathon. Does that make me too certifiable??
  • Options
    Wow Hippo.That report was great.Puts the whole feeling into words.
    Has anyone found any photos yet?I went on to the main Dublin site and they are supposed to e-mail you when they are done.Somehow I am a little doubtful,can't t
    hink why!
  • Options
    Don't worry Elaine. The photos do appear and you do get an e-mail message with the link. That is something that is not run by the Dublin City Marathon website people! Just be patient - I already went to asiorders.com but they have nothing posted yet.
  • Options
    J2RJ2R ✭✭✭
    Last year it was two weeks before the photos appeared, so you'll all need to be patient!
  • Options
    Well done to one and all.

This was only my 3rd race and my first ever marathon and I finished in around 4:45 - I was hoping to finish in around 4 hours, but a combination of poor sums and not enough properly marked out long runs at race pace mean I now think that was a very unrealistic aim in the first place.
    Some strange pains in both legs from 10 miles onwards made me change the focus of my ambition from my finish time to simply running the entire way round. The huge number of walkers and the people that stopped at the drinks stations made me incredibly tempted to stop - but somehow I kept going all the way.

Would be very interested in my chip times (LOTC - can you send me the spreadsheet? e-mail: stevietron2000@hotmail.com - cheers!), in hindsight I set off too quickly and found miles 12-15 the hardest which I really was not expecting. I was cursing to myself about about whichever joker described the course as 'flat' - my calves disagree about that one.

Somehow I seemed to run from 23-finish in the quickest time for any 3 mile section - including a sprint finish that I had absolutely no idea I had in me! Got home last night and back to work today - was telling people that I probably won't run another one and then came home and read the message board and now want to do another one. Not sure who to thank/blame for this odd situation.

By the way - am I alone or does anyone else think that Gatorade is just water + colourings + a fist full of salt? Horrid stuff - was quite pleased they had run out and that I spilt most of the only cup I got. Even more pleased that I took my own body weight in lucozade gels - I personally think they should have got their own medal.

Despite seeing my parents and both sisters in the last 2 miles, I hobbled round for 1.5 hours without finding any of them after the race - just getting cold and emotional and muttering under my breath. Gave up and commandeered a cab back to the hotel and used my charm to borrow the fare from the lovely young lady behind reception.

A great city full of lovely people and a lifetimes ambition achieved. You can't say fairer than that really. Also, many thanks to everyone on the forum - your words of wisdom and encouragement over the last few weeks and months have been a huge help - you've been an inspiration.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off for the deep, hot, radox-tastic bath I've been looking forward to since Monday lunchtime.
  • Options
    stephen
    come and do lochaber next April

the marathon bug is terminal BTW
    nellie-ouch
  • Options
    Hippo well done, great read. been out of the loop thanks to bt line fault.

LC2 and others re photos, not found any on the Dublin site, but..... check - northdownac.co.uk one of our coaches has found some and put them on our site.

Where is everyone for next, i suggested i might do connemara ultra to Mrs B, anyone want a lodger???!!!!! Will have to do some good old fashioned crawling - new outfit!!

Have our friends at RW started a rating on the run?
  • Options
    id love Conne
    but wont get that much time off work
    may forgo reading in 2006-and do it
    the ultra, of course
    oooooh, must rate this race
  • Options
    Well done everyone.

I had a brillant time in Dublin. Finished in a PB thanks to Hillary at mile 14ish and Shades for the final 5 miles. Couldn't have done it without them. Great to finally meet Shades and Hippy, and to see Hillary again. Had a crap week before the race, so what thrilled with my 4:57 & change finish. Know I could have made my goal if I had a better pre-race week, but that's ok...lots of other marathons to work on that 4:30 goal... :o)

Congrats to Mick...yahoo....2:55...way to go! Sorry I missed you at the expo, and on the Sunday night do. Didn't keep up with the forum while in London, so missed y'all at the Camden Court meet-up....must have missed ya be minutes. I was in the bar around 8ish...hhhmmm...

Next major race is an ultra here at home...yea...no traveling... 32 miles the end of March...off road, and no goals in mind. After that...Big Sur...can't wait. Sure I can't talk you into going to Big Sur in 2005 Shades...??? ;o)
  • Options
    Nellie64 - sounds awful! I am having trouble walking on my right foot after it went 'ping' at mile 14. I am confident that it was not a fracture as it didn't go crunch like IAnt's... Did yours tear audibly???

Oh and I agree with everything that's been said about Gatorade. Tastes like green Andrew's salts, but it had all run out anyway by the time I got to the stations.

Also - what did people think of the power gel? I assumed that the water station would follow immediately as the gels are toxic and super-gummy without water, but was v surprised to see, rather than a station, three people pouring water into plastic cups, which they re-filled as more people came along. So I shared a cup with probably 100 other runners, all stickly and caked with power gel. Pretty grim come to think of it. Did anyone else share that cup? :)
  • Options
    I drink only Gatorade at home for my runs, but the crap they were serving in Dub wasn't quite the same. Got a few cramps too...might have been that stuff they called Gatorade. Didn't do the gels at Dub since I was carrying my own (same brand)...how gross...sharing cups with 100's of other runners....eeewwww
  • Options
    .... never got to share my cup did you though ..............
  • Options
    Hi Glo, sorry to have missed you, we were all sitting round a table in the Camden Court foyer until nearly 10pm, right in front of the lifts (elevators in American!)so heaven knows how you missed us - especially as I was wearing my specially printed Ironwolf tee-shirt.
    Agree about the Gatorade, we use the powder at home and that bottled stuff isn't at all the same.
  • Options
    Still suffering with my injury, don't know exactly what I've done but the pain is right at the top of my leg just under the cheek! I am waddling like a pregnant woman and completely unable to run.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Glo - I was really pleased to meet you too. I'll buy an extra lottery ticket this week to see if I can get to Big Sur 2005.

IW - hope you're OK soon, sounds like an abductor strain perhaps, if it is you will need to get some stretches done soon. I had that as my first running injury (jumping a puddle!) I rested and it took months to heal as it needed activity not rest!
  • Options
    thanks Shades, I'm trying to stretch it out. Went swimming last night but even that hurt. Can't run even one step.

Do Do - so pleased to meet you, well done on completing your first marathon! And many thanks for the lift back to my hotel the other night. Here's to your next mara!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Do Do was a star all weekend, she looked after us and looked great when I saw her heading for the finish. I added at least a minute to her finish time too by stopping her for phone number to arrange possible post race celebrations.
  • Options
    The results on www.dublincitymarathon.ie are now showing "half" time, chip time, finish time, category place and overall place. I would like to see a complete list though.

It gives me a "half" time of 2:34. I had 2:28 on my watch for the 1st half, so it fits in with the chip/finish time differences. I must have been going barmy because even then (in fact, up to mile 22), I was sure I was going to get around in under 5. I'm so annoyed with myself for getting the maths wrong.

And a 2nd half of 2:52! I know I can do so much better.

In my next marathon - and there will be a next marathon - I'm not going to rely on my mental arithmetic. I'm going to write down all my mile target times!
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more Mr T on the arithmetic. It gets hard towards the end when you mind is occupied with denying the pain :-)

Check out http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/pacechart.cfm

There are some pace charts which fit on your wrist.
  • Options
    J2RJ2R ✭✭✭
    Mr T, I know the problem with mental arithmetic. Last year at Dublin my brain turned to treacle sponge at around mile 13, with the result that I miscalculated the mile times for a few miles. I realised the error of my ways about mile 18, and had to put on some extra speed to make up the time I had lost (I managed to just scrape inside my target time). This year I took the precaution of printing out a little Excel spreadsheet with the required times at different miles for different target times. I carried it with me in my little waist band bag (what are those things called?).
  • Options
    Mr T
    i also did the half in 2.28
    we may have been running next to each other
  • Options
    Stephen Ireland - the spreadsheet is 4.5Mb and therefore won't be accepted by a hotmail account where the file limit is 2Mb. Can send to a different address if you have one.

Apart from the information now available on the official site, I can tell you that you finished 37 places higher based on chip time and overtook 364 people in the second half of the race.

Regarding mental arithmetic and splits, I quite like doing the calculations for something to think about. That and a game of i-spy with the mile markers.
  • Options
    Hello all!! Got back early hours of this morning, delayed by cancelled ferries, storms etc etc. Glad to see this is still at the top of the eventd list though!!

Well, what a brilliant day it was! Must admit my finishing time (let me get it in here 3:39:46) is the main reasoning behind that sentiment but a nice flat course and a good atmosphere. Who could aks for more?!

Barry and FA (aka IA) - Really good to meet you and thanks for the company!! Was graet to run with you both and am pretty annoyed that I couldn't avoid the call of nature, as the last 6.2 miles were long and lonely but nontheless I survived them! (Glad you missed me too Barry). Ant, how is the foot now? Thank you for your moral support and positive thinking!! As for racing each other one day, I can never resist picking up a thrown down gauntlet, but give me a year or two eh!! ;-)

Twin dad - WELL DONE!! And you just wanted to beat 3:53!! Think we are obviously similar in more ways than just food and wine (I only wanted sub 4!!) ;-)

Faith - What a shame you were waiting at the wrong place!! You must have finished with Des, another member of our running party. You 2 could have ran together!! Well done on achieving your target!!

Hippo - Am saving reading your race report for tomorrow night. Pg 118 noted!!

Toucan - another fantastic time!!

Well done everyone, sounds like we all had a good one!!