Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's great not having a hangover.  Eat well today, deal with those 3 or 4 lbs later in the week.

That Strava calculation seems a bit out, allowing far too much for the hills, try it on this calculator http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html  I even think this calculator is too generous.

Maybe Strava doesn't factor in the downhills?  Or it's just set up like Garmins etc to tell folk they're better than they actually are and they've burnt more calories than they actually have :D 

Jelly - 
    Jelly said:
    Yes did enjoy ? my night.  I was very shocked to be awarded most improved as the other nominees were worthy winners. Well Done Big G on you most deserved award. Was mentioned I could of run faster to today as I was dancing lots. Happy to say legs feel fine. 

Whoever told you that you could have run faster as you were dancing lots needs to look at their own training.    Dancing is advised as the best post marathon activity and will help you avoid any DOMS in the next day or so.  If anyone was too sore to dance after a marathon they need to seriously look at their own running, lack of stretching, not enough marathon training or over striding when they were racing can all be reasons for legs being sore before any chance of DOMS would set in.

Big G - I hope your blisters didn't stop you having a dance too :) 

Keith - I expect your marathon was a bit of a shock to your body after all this time.  Your headache might be dehydration too.   A good roast dinner should sort you out.  Is your foot OK?

10 miles done, nice and mild a little light rain, very pleasant.   Saw loads of snowdrops.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just found Ian on the live tracking at GC, last update at 25km and going well  :)
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    They were my very good friends and they were joking and really pleased for me. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I didn't stay to the end.  Davey had asked me to let him know if I was doing the marathon, so I wanted to get home to try on some trainers so I could decide what to do.  I left after the raffle, so the disco hadn't started then.  It's funny what not drinking does; the raffle is a great raffle, but the majority of it was booze.  There was a cash prize, and I think 2 City to Sea entries (we lend them our race clock, so we got entries for our raffle in exchange), but the rest booze.  Of course after C2S and the cash, I'd have picked up the booze if I'd won something, but it's really interesting how booze is everywhere.  This isn't a complaint of my club at all - just a wider observation.

I have actually put my head above the parapet a bit after some thought, so I'm going to say it here as well.  I'm planning on not drinking for the full 12 months.  I've read that even for moderate drinkers it takes 90-days to get the benefits and that those that do something like Dry January do the hard first 30 days, but then not carry on to see the benefits.  So, I'm going to do 12 months.  The only exception will be things like Tiramisu (if I want one, I'm having one!) and also if I get invited to a wedding I will probably have the one champaign for the toast, but other than that it will be a booze free year.  This is a massive thing for me, but I've mentioned it to my mates and although they're a bit bemused by the whole concept, they're going to support me too.  The fact that it's "out there" means I'm accountable now!  I'm doing it just to prove to myself that I can, really.  And, assuming I do the same kind of training as last year, it will be interesting to see if it helps at all with my running.  It may, or it may not, but it will be interesting non-the-less.  I know it's not going to be the silver bullet that will suddenly make a a 3:15 runner overnight, but if it helps me with my training (always feeling fresh in the mornings etc) that has got to be a good thing.

I reckon a conservative estimate already this month is that I've saved £50 at least.  Last night cost me about £5, as opposed to probably something like £20+ plus the need for a taxi home.  With that conservative £50, I've booked to go to Edinburgh in March for a non-running break, as that saving has paid for the £46 return flights.  Before I go to Edinburgh, the extra savings between now and then will more than pay for two nights in a Premier Inn.  The money saving is another incentive.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'll let you off the dancing then!

You're right about how booze is around us and part of our culture, not a good thing I think.   When I did Langdale marathon I won 2 bottles of wine for age category prize and I was chuffed, put them in the boot of my car and they stayed there for a year or so, now in the cupboard so in hindsight not really a good prize at all.

For me the biggest advantage of rarely drinking is that I'm not so tired.  Alcohol makes me tired and that then affects my training, I've also had a lot less colds etc too which I'm hoping is due to a less compromised immune system, alcohol does suppress the immune system, as do marathons of course ;) 

That's really good budgeting and a great incentive to stay off the booze.

Ian through 30km and still doing well 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Ian, hope that achilles isn't too sore.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, well done!  I hope you enjoyed the route etc.  I'll be interested to know if you'd recommend it.

Shades, yeah, the "using alcohol to help sleep" is an interesting one.  I know I'm a geek, but I've been looking into this quite a lot in terms of reading academic studies etc.  Alcohol doesn't help people sleep - it does the opposite, as it has been shown to stop people getting into REM.  I haven't been sleeping well for a couple of weeks, mainly due to this cold I had, but hopefully once it's fully gone I may start to notice the difference with my sleep a bit as well.
  • Options
    Well done Ian! And well done Big G and Jelly on your nominations and awards! Big G, good decision re: the alcohol.

I was a little concerned about going out for a run today as I had a lot of sore/tight bits and pieces when I woke up. I spent some time mashing a hockey ball into my butt and then a lacrosse ball in my hip before going out around 8am. Started pretty slow (first mile was 11:33, which is slower than even my recovery pace - I was quite surprised it was that slow actually) but once I'd reached 3 miles I decided I was OK to carry on towards Brockwell rather than head for home.

It was just spitting initially, but when I got to Brockwell (6.6 miles in) it was actually raining. And then I realised it wasn't rain, it was (expletive) sleet! There were a lot of other runners in the park, most looking miserable, but at that point I began to revel in my own madness and actually started to enjoy the run. The aim was to do 15 miles but I ended up doing 16 as that's just how the route panned out. It's an undulating route so mile splits were all over the place but it was a strong negative split, which I'm happy with. Fastest miles were mile 10 (10:14 - an all downhill mile) and 16 (10:18, because I wanted to get out of those wet clothes and eat something).

Once I'd got back, I threw a protein shake and a piece of toast down my gullet and went to Yin yoga to stretch it all out. I hope my right hip and left hamstring will calm down a bit now as they are a bit tight and grumpy, though my hip didn't give me any trouble during the run.

I shall be monitoring everything like a hawk and will take rest when I need it. I think quality over quantity is the key to getting me to Manchester in one piece.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Big G/Jelly-well done on the awards.
    I didn't realise there was live tracking or I'd have given you my number.
    Main thing to say is my achilles held out fine,felt it a few times but not enough to put me off.
    The course itself is Ok,bit windy and cobbly at times in the town centre,then to avoid 2 laps we go down a dual carriageway for about 5 miles which wasn't very exciting but back into town again was decently supported in areas.
    It's a pretty flat course with only 1 real hill about 17 miles or so in that seems to drag on.
    Set off a little faster than planned around 8 min miles but was really comfortable at that pace.After 13 miles I was picking people off and moving up well,id noticed the temp was really climbing now,think it was about 18 at the start and 24 when I finished,the hill around 17 hurt as it went on for ages and at 20 I suddenly cramped,normally I feel it starting but this was sudden.Probably a combination of heat and training the last few weeks.I waited 4 mins until it went then carried on,I didn't feel it again but slowed my pace quite a lot.Ended up finishing about 3:43:30 chip time.At first I was a bit disappointed as I was hoping for 3:30 but need to be realistic,the weather took a lot more out of me than I realised,I was dizzy a couple of times and had to walk to regain myself and not run much at all recently.
    Finished 255 out of 983.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that's a great time considering your missed training etc.  You're right that the hot weather definitely does impact us, especially as we've been used to the cold for a few weeks.  Good news your achilles didn't bother you too much, but I imagine it was on your mind a bit anyway.

Cal, well done on the 16-miler.  That's a great run, especially through the sleet!  Definitely the easy-paced miles will have the best chance of getting you to Manchester!

What with one thing or another (one event that I've pulled out of, and another one that has been cancelled due to lack of entries) my next marathon isn't until the end of Feb.  So I am hoping to get some relatively decent mileage in before that event, and just enjoy some running and not really worry about pace for most of them.  I did have a look around today to see if I can squeeze in another event in Feb instead, but I can't due to some other non-running commitments I already have.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Big G-Yes it was on my mind for a while,but once I got a few miles out the way i presumed it was going to be ok.
    My Strava is showing 1800ft of climb but no way was there that much,maybe 4-500 tops.
    Forgot to add my wife done her 10k in 55:17 so really happy for her,as she set off at 11.30 when it was really hot,came 22/107 over 40's,she's now asking when can we book for the half next year  :)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - what a lovely photo.  I only looked at the tracking while we were here on the forum and it's a great tracking system, I managed to stalk   find you in a few seconds. ;)   Well done that's a great result and good news about the achilles holding up well.   The heat would have made a significant difference especially going from January UK temperatures to 24 degrees.

Huge congratulations to your wife, brilliant time and placing for her first race, I think you'd better book that next trip.

Now enjoy the rest of your holiday.  Today you're excused your recovery run if your achilles is sore but do your physio exercises, then put your feet up for the day and enjoy the food and the sun. 

Big G - yes, lots of folk have a drink to 'help them sleep', not realising that it damages their sleep.   Likewise those that have a drink to cheer them up when alcohol is actually a depressant  

Do you want to let me know your February marathon(s), as I think you're the only one doing a race in Feb.

Cal - well done getting your long run done in sleet.  Sleet is horrible to run in.

Very mild here, some heavy rain but not unpleasant as it feels quite warm.  Nice splashy run.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it's Malta marathon on 25th Feb. 

Ian, great pic and well done to your wife too. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G-Much prefer lazing on the beach after a race than driving home.Im definitely one of the can't move/need to stretch properly group,hoping this injury will get me into the habit longer term.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Not found results yet for Plym Trail but when I put it on my marathon list would it be under Trail Marathon. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jelly, yes for 100MC purposes it's a trail marathon.  

Ian, I try to work on my stretching too, but I confess it's one of the things that I do more thoroughly when I've got a niggle, whereas I know I should be doing it much more regularly to help avoid the niggles in the first place!

Just done a 3-mile (delayed!) recovery run.  Foot kind of felt okay, but not perfect.  No harm done though I don't think.  If I feel okay, I'll go for a social run with the club this evening.
  • Options
    Lovely picture, Ian. Rather envious of your blue sky, having run in sleet yesterday. But as you say, warm weather running is not exactly easy, either!
    I've had a little walk this morning (2 miles) and then did some glute exercises. Hip's definitely grouchy, as is left hamstring, and my inner right shin (pos tib I think). This is definitely going to be an easier week for me - body is asking for it.
  • Options
    Jelly / Big G / Keith - Well done at Plym Trail!!
    Ian - Well done to you and your wife!
    Cal - Nice 16 miler, that bodes well for Manchester!

Saturday did my Vo2 max session that I delayed from Thursday due to the wind. 9 miles with 6*1000m at 5k pace. Was aiming for around 3:45 pace for the 1k reps and came out to 3:44/3:48/3:44/3:46/3:58/3:49. Disappointed with that 5th rep though!!
    Sunday did my 15 miler, was snowing to start with then we had hail then it was raining!! Finished cold and soaked through with my feet really wet!! Average pace around 8:30s and felt good. That's another 50 mile week done.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Jelly / Big G / Keith - well done at the Plym Trail!
    Ian - well done for GC - did you have any issues with lack of water? I've heard some people complaining about it?
    Cal - Great mileage! :)

I'm still on the semi-sick bench so we'll see how I get on this week :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly said:
    Not found results yet for Plym Trail but when I put it on my marathon list would it be under Trail Marathon. 

Jelly - you can record it as you wish, even for 100MC purposes.  I've always classified Plym Trail as road as that's what the surface is.  All my lists cleared 100MC with no problems.   For me it's important to have it classified by surface as that has the greatest affect on the speed of a race and I can compare like for like.

They're not very quick to post results as it's manual timekeeping, they will be up in a couple of days

Ian - I hope you're still doing your stretches ;)   You will in time be able to move more comfortably after a marathon, before the DOMS set in.

Big G - thanks, will be interesting to see what you think of it.   I want to do Malta one day, I had to cancel a previous trip there and never got round to rebooking.

Steve - another good week's training for you.  I expect you let your mind wander during that 5th rep. ;)   Quite a contrast in the weather, we had 10-12 degrees down here yesterday :) 

Emmy - glad you're starting to feel a bit better, is it still freezing cold with you?
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Yes wasn't expecting quick post for results as was manually and being double too. I might put note on spread sheet for my own person info.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - so your next marathon or ultra is Devonshire Dumpling in March?   

How are your legs today?  I bet they're fine after the dancing :)
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Legs are good, did 4 mile recovery yesterday, should of been a bit slower 9.45 avg did run easy but should of looked at watch more to slow down. I'm doing social group tonight and aiming for 10 min miles if I run in and back will be about 8 might take car and will be 5-6  in Social I tend to hang around mid Group so I'm not one of the ones making it too quick for others. Been looking at my splits and thinking how I can improve my endurance not too slow down so much on last 4 ish miles. Not after negative as such but more hang onto reasonable pace. 
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Forgot to stop garmin at finish so allow 4 minutes on last split. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - but for Plym Trail those last 4 miles are tough and there's no respite from the climb towards the finish so I wouldn't worry too much about your pacing for that section of the race, you did really well.  There's not many runners that could do a PB on that course.

It will be different when you're running Taunton and you'll find it easier to hold your pace in the last few miles.   I take it Taunton will be your sub 4 attempt :)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-You're going really well at the minute.
    Cal-16 is great at this stage.
    Emmy-no issues for us with the water,just 1 sponge station didnt have enough sponges,be annoying if there was issues on the course as there was pallets at the end.
    Achilles feels fine today,wish I could say the same about my calves and thighs,really aching today.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Yes to Devon Dumpling and Taunton is my sub four target. I did the Half last year so have got insight of course.  I've also got Newport end of April too. Another Female Trotter got same time as me on Sunday at Plym Trail. She was 2nd Lady. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian- that's amazing your achilles isn't suffering today and that's really promising for Manchester marathon.  Please stay away from the flip flops though ;)    

Your aches today are probably made worse by the level of dehydration you experienced in the heat.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I'm walking in my spare running shoes I brought even on the sand,not taking any chances,for physio again on wednesday so hopefully he'll be nice,I can still feel it when I press on it but not too bad walking around.