Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Never mind, still going to
    give swimming my best shot, something both myself and daughters enjoy. 
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Jelly - I don't think it hurts to do other forms of exercise as well as running. Of course, if you spent the time running instead of swimming, it would probably be more beneficial (for your running), but that doesn't mean you get no benefit from the swimming.
  • Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Hi all! Big well done to those who raced last week  :)

I had a bit of a tummy bug 2 weeks ago and felt ropey for a week, but ok now. Due to this and lack of much during the Xmas hols, my running buddy and I are back to run/walking. Will just build up the running bit gradually but I'm still lacking motivation.

Went for a solo walk on Sunday afternoon. It was lovely walking in the snow and even in the sleet and I stayed comfortably warm. My new shoes (I took the new boots back as they slipped on the heel) and my jacket were both waterproof which was good as after a couple of hours it started raining quite heavily. My hands got very cold then and I was glad that when I reached the town there was a bus just waiting to take me home  ;)

Regarding the 100MC and road races, I know that they only classify marathons as road which have been measured accurately and have a UKA road permit. I was quite surprised about Snowdonia but apparently the trail bit early on is within the permitted distance and that very rough trail bit up and over the hill to Llanberis is classified as a 'slate road' - I don't think I'd fancy driving my car up there  :o
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - Hope the swimming went well, it is good for you especially as it's something you enjoy doing with your daughters.   And of course one day you might fancy doing triathlon too.

Big G - I do wish they wouldn't take their tops off, they used to do that 20 years ago but now they haven't aged well and have the bodies that should keep their tops on, such an embarrassment.   :(   IMHO it just makes them look stupid, I know I'll have to endure that at DD disco.  It is a shame that their behaviour puts off other club members from going on the club trips.

mowzer - sorry to hear you've been poorly and has temporarily set you back in your training.

The permitted amount of trail in a 'road' marathon used to be 10% I think.   I haven't done Snowdonia since they put that extra bit of trail in.   I wouldn't take my car up that slate road either.

I think a lot of confusion has happened about road/trail classification as UKA permits now say road/multi terrain (not just road) and that covers where a course may be all tarmac but some/all of the course is not open to traffic, such as on a tarmac cycle path.   It's so confusing now.  That's why I just classify by surface.  100MC have put tartan track in as road now, but that's a tricky one to know where to put them.  All of my tartan track events have been ultras so I've not had to make that decision.

Waiting for daylight before going for my run, rain and gale force winds here, will find a sheltered route.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Date   Event       Time
    20-Jan   Plym Trail   Big G   04:02:50
    20-Jan   Plym Trail Jelly  
    04:04:54  :):)PB 20-Jan   Plym Trail   Keith   05:57:28 21-Jan   Gran Canaria   Ian   03:43:30               25-Feb   Malta   Big G  
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    swimming went well, in stayed in mid/slow lane and was with a friendly group, had to stop few times for breath,  felt it in my arms, youngest daughter loved it and managed 80 lengths and kept up with others, even though she is classed as over weight she has always done lots of sport, the older one enjoyed it too and also did very well but did find it much harder having not been active since learning to drive and giving up football. So both of them wanting to do this is amazing and will motivate me. It's so hard controlling their diet once they hit teen and earn their own cash, they can both cook and know heathy choices it's just all the sweets and treats and juice,  We are lucky the 18 year old isn't too fussed with alcohol, she does drink if out with friends but doesn't go mad and normally home early. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Jelly on the swim.  I used to be a decent swimmer when I was lot younger, but I remember when I went 3 or 4 years ago for the first time in years, I really struggled.  I can't remember exactly but I think I did about 20 lengths and could already feel it in my arms and my breathing/technique was all wrong.  I was generally fit at the time and had kind of thought that the fact I used to be a decent swimmer would count for something, but it didn't!  When I was a lot younger we used to regularly do 64 lengths (about a mile), sometimes before school.  So that to me showed that we're only really fit in what we train in.  Definitely swimming gives other benefits, but I think I'd agree it doesn't really help with running.  That doesn't mean you should stop swimming though, but I know it's a question of fitting everything in as well.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mowzer-Hope you get back to full training soon.
    Shades-Hope the weather eases a bit for your run.
    My legs feel like they normally do the day after the marathon,so hopefully I can get out for a recovery run,so hopefully means I'm just 2 days behind usual recovery.
    Physio tonight for my Achilles,still feels pretty sore when I press in it,so hoping he says i'm ok to keep running gentle.
  • Options
    Mowzer - Hope you get back to full fitness/training soon.
    Shades - Doesn't sound like great weather for your run....where is the tropical weather you had a few days ago :D
    Jelly - Well done on the swimming.

14 miles for me this morning in about 2 hours. However Shades definately sent the warmer weather....I was overdressed and was sweating so much by the end!!!
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Like I said I'm not replacing run with swim as it's normally a non run day RED is only this month, I did fit in my mile around block yesterday. Weather is awful here today. 
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    mowser - hope you are feeling better now

Jelly - glad the swimming went well. I've never been a particularly strong swimmer, may give it a go one day if I decide to try and go into triathlon, may not.

Ian - glad you are over the doms

Stever - nice long run this morning

Decent easy 6km for me this morning to the train station. Running straight into a 30mph headwind for about 2km wasn't fun though (the rest was still windy but a bit more sheltered)! Probably evened out the fact that it's net downhill haha. Planning to do the club run tonight and run home again for about 13 miles total, hopefully with a friend from the club but will see if they can make it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - that's great that you all enjoyed the swimming, you'll have to keep it up now.   You're lucky that both your girls can cook, there's nothing more you can do re their choice of food except set a good example and not buying junk food.  You running marathons is a great example to them, I hope they're proud of you.

Ian - good luck with the physio tonight, I think he should be very pleased with you.   

Stop pressing then it won't hurt ;) 

Steve - I was over dressed for my run yesterday too, it's a strange feeling after all the cold weather.

Nick - long run day for you today then, do you have a decent snack in the afternoon?

Well I might as well have gone swimming too.   Very windy and light rain for the first half of my run, gusts bringing down some branches and I saw one big branch fall on the path a few feet from me.   I did cross the high footbridge over the A38 and that was quite an experience in the wind, fortunately the railings are 6 foot so no danger of being blown over the side.   2nd half of run it started to rain and it was torrential all the way home then, despite having a good jacket on I was completely drenched head to toe, clothes are in the sink too wet to put in the laundry basket.   But it was a balmy 12 degrees and I did enjoy the run apart from the scary bit with the branches breaking.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Mowzer/Shades, regarding trails/roads, I see a comment this morning from 100MC that says they're trying to look at all this again.  He commented that it used to be really easy to understand.  It is all quite confusing, so some clarity would be welcomed I think.  

I've just been in a long Facebook messenger discussion with Foxy about all this, and I'm still very confused (easily done!).  As well as the fact that he classes his as "trail" even though he could have classed them as "road", he has said that a course doesn't have to be officially measured for GFA - it just needs a UKA or TRA permit.  I asked him if the TRA permit process included a course being officially measured, but he has said that it doesn't.  Another can of worms, as if he's right that means that not all GFA courses are officially measured if they only have a TRA permit (and not a UKA permit).  I presume he is right as he is an RD and would know all this inside out I'd have thought.

He has said that the fact that his course is officially measured means he could class it as "road" for 100MC purposes, but presumably for political reasons and to avoid a backlash he chose not to, and has classed it as "trail".  He has, however, got a permit (needed for GFA) for his upcoming Good Friday event as a couple of runners have asked for it for that one event.

He has said that the key difference is that for a road marathon for UKA it needs a permit and measurement, but for the 100MC it just needs measurement and insurance (Foxy has his own insurance, so generally no longer gets a permit that would have included insurance). 

How 100MC sort all this out to make it clearer, I don't know!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I know it is confusing.   But I think Foxy is on thin ice re saying a GFA course doesn't need a course measurement certificate and leaves it wide open that a GFA time on one of those courses could easily be rejected by VLM and certainly wouldn't be accepted by NY or Boston.   

If anyone is aiming for a GFA time surely they would choose an event where there would be no question about eligibility of the course. 

Foxy has permitted some of his races and the results are on RunBritain so those events would certainly be allowable for GFA times, for VLM anyway.

I think some runners are confused about 100MC rules and GFA rules, thinking that if the 100MC counts it as a marathon then it's OK for GFA.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The girls are proud of me and my running but also think I'm off my rocker wanting to run marathons so don't hold much hope of them joining me, youngest has done C25k and a few fun events like similar to colour rush she's not into running, likes her walking and done 35 mile Ten Tors and might be joining me back marking City 2 Sea. We've walked to route in fee parts last year so she knows what to expect, my best mate just laughed when I told her the last bit. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - of course the girls think you're off your rocker wanting to run lots of marathons, but in the nicest possible way :)
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Hi Shadies

After a monster catch up I can't comment on everyone but just a big well done to the Plym trailers and to Ian for a cracking result in GC.
    Also wishing you good luck with your drink free year Big G. That's some target.. I bet you'll achieve it though. I'd imagine the difficulties would lie in trips to places like Bruges where having a good beer in a lovely bar is all part of the experience. Maybe avoid Bruges this year  ;)

Things have got a bit chaotic here. Our school cook is having a major meltdown and I have been roped in to replace her. Normally I do dance/sport activities, bus accompaniment and help in the cantine but now I am the school cook. This is a joke as I am useless in the kitchen.. I mean I can't manage rice for my family of 6 let alone 60 people. Anyway, there is nobody else so I am doing it.. talk about being chucked in the deep end. I have never cooked for this many people and there is so much to think about in terms of quantities for cooking, orders, organising two sittings etc etc. I won't go on as I am already going wildly off subject but I have had some spectacular disasters and am sure I could earn a fortune on YouTube or something if anyone was filming me. I am also organising before and after school clubs as well so my days are horribly long. The stress of it all is tiring too but I am managing to pull it off and things seem a bit better this week.

On a running note I have been too tired and worried to leave mega early in the mornings so instead have been running in the break I get between 3pm and 4:30pm. I go to work in my kit then shoot out of the school like a scalded cat and run round the forest for an hour before heading back to sort out school buses.
    My mileage has never been so low but I'm hoping that as time goes on I will be less stressed and able to manage my time a bit better and get some early longer runs in.
    Not sure if I'm going to be up to doing a Spring marathon at the moment though.. will see how things pan out.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, seems dodgy I agree.  He has said that in 8 years only 2 people got GFA, so he chose to not get the permits and instead got his own insurance.  But he's made an exception for this Good Friday one as someone has asked for it to be permitted for GFA, and as it's officially measured that specific event will meet the GFA requirements.

Having said all that, and changing the subject a bit, I wonder if Loch Ness counts for GFA?  It's point to point and basically down hill from what I can.  I can't find if it has a permit from the website, but the fact it's officially measured and presuming it does have a permit (it is quite big race) would that mean it's okay for GFA?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cross post there MF.  Sounds very stressful with everything going on!  Great that you're still getting some runs in though, and as you say hopefully things will calm down when you're a bit more used to it, and you'll be able to get some more runs in.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Isn't the a list of accepted of GFA races for London. I'm not close so not really given it much though. My GFA is sub 3:50 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jelly, from VLM site, it says "Any official timed road marathon which is 26.2 miles in length is eligible". 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Mama-Sounds crazy you've been thrown in like that,sounds like you're getting a grip though.
    Shades-When you next do the list can you amend my finish time to 3:43:43 please,I miskeyed straight after the race.
    Just seen that there was videos in a few locations on Sunday,watching myself on them has made me realise I don't look right when I run,I seem to shuffle,even in the early stages when I thought I would have looked better.
    Another nice touch is the have put a couple of the videos together.
    www.corriendovoy.com/atletismo/pelicula/cajasiete-gran-canaria-maraton-2018/276808
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    MF - always seems a lot going on with you! Hope it gets sorted out soon and you don't get stuck being the cook for ages!

Big G - don't see why Loch Ness wouldn't be eligible, London is net downhill after all. Have seen a few people mention that although downhill LN is fairly undulating so can be a tough course.

Also good luck on the dry 2018, forgot to say earlier. I am doing dry January though am not really sure why haha. A few of my squash mates said they were going to do it so I agreed to as well but think I'm the only one left now! I don't drink very often these days anyway, I think there's only about 3 or 4 occasions where I would normally have had a drink so far in January. Sort of feel like I've started so I'll finish as there's only a week left.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - you have my utmost respect for stepping into the role of school cook, I couldn't do that.   

My Mum was a cook and I can remember as a teenager if I turned up to where she was working to be amazed how she was cooking, dishing up etc in such a stressful atmosphere.   My Mum was a brilliant cook.

Big G - I can't see Foxy getting a permit just for one runner.   His races don't fill so quickly now, more competition I guess, but if his courses are known as eligible for GFA then that could attract more runners.   And there are a some runners that won't run in unpermitted races.  It's not just the course measurement for a permit but other rules such as medical support etc.

I'm sure Loch Ness counts for GFA, the permit will be on SAL's website, did you look there?   

Ian - I don't think any of us have seen a video of ourselves running a marathon and been pleased with it.   I always look like I'm ploughing through treacle.

Nick - Loch Ness is not a tough course, yes it has a hill of note but a very fast course as it's net downhill.   It does catch out the undertrained runners though.

Well done on the dry January, I recognise a competitive streak in you so well done for sticking it out when your mates have failed, do they have to buy you a pint at the end?
  • Options
    No better, in fact currently in bed with proper flu for a change. Not a major problem as there is plenty to watch on Netflix
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Mamafox - that's some change for you! How on earth do you manage?!

Shades - I agree with you about the classifications and that Foxy is on thin ice with some of his comments.

Keith - Sorry to hear about your flu :(

Mowser - Hope you feel better soon!

Big G - I know from my earlier competitive days that there was a bit of contention from European races regarding eligible times and GFA's/pen assignment. I know a friend who had 3.30 at Thames Meander that had to prove it was a 'proper race' when they were in Paris to get into the 3.30 pen!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - so sorry to hear you are poorly, hope you recover soon.

Emmy - you 'sound' a bit better now, are you able to get out for a little run or is it still too cold for your chest?

Just spent the last hour doing car insurance quotes, one good thing about getting older is cheaper car insurance :)
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Shades - how much do these permit thingys cost though? It might not be much different to 1 or 2 race entries, so if someone said they weren't going to enter otherwise, it might make sense to get the permit just for them?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Shades, this is a copy and paste of what Foxy said about GFA for his Good Friday race: "We had 2 runners specially request a GFA attempt for Good Friday so we have obtained a permit for that day".

Shades, I hadn't known about that organisation but I just checked and Loch Ness is on there:
    http://events.scottishathletics.org.uk/events/20258-17796-baxers-loch-ness-marathon

Nick, I have similar things with some of my friends.  There was a group of WAY friends who said they were going to do Dry January but have all failed for one reason or another, and also a few Trotters were doing it but drank at the Trotters party on Saturday.  I'm not saying they've all got a "problem", but the drop-off rate from people I know is really high for just 31-days.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G - I've found similar with friends during Dry January. Some are OK but a lot tend to 'fall' when they've had a bad day/go out for dinner etc.