Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Managed a slow ŕecovery run,just over 5 miles which is where I usually am the day after a race so not too far behind,small ache in the achilles but nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Great running guys at the weekend.
    Jelly- so pleased you enjoyed swimming must have been good that you daughters joined you. I would love to go swimming but as I am a wimp and hate the thought of any chance of going underwater I don't even risk going into a pool.

Not run since last Thursday due to numerous stressful incidents at work however managed to get out for 8.5 miles today. Went my usual route along the cycle track but with all the snow melting and torrential rain that fell most of yesterday parts of my route was flooded which forced me to turn back and find alternative routes. My final 3.5 miles was straight into a gale force wind where at times some gusts just about took me clean of my feet.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Got out for a 7-miler this afternoon, and managed to dodge the rain!

Due to a lack of marathons for me in Feb, I've entered a tough road Half (Humdinger Half, good prep for DD) and also Fulfords 5.  I'd already entered Tavy 13, which again is good DD prep and is a Club Champs race, plus a fast 10K in April which is also a club champs race.  There is a small chance that I may be able to complete the Championship myself this year, but the marathons are the priority so if there's a clash, I'd choose the marathon in any case.  
  • Options
    Ooh busy here today! Props to everyone for getting out in the wind and rain. I opted for yoga. :lol: Mind you it was Bikram so it wasn't like I stayed dry. Just thought my legs could do with some extra rest as I still have a bunch of grumpy sore bits.

Mamafox - eek, really? Are they actively looking for a cook to replace you? I hope so for your sake. That's not something I'd want to get dumped with.

My Hampton Court number turned up today! Only three and a half weeks away now. I don't think I'm in any danger of troubling my PB as I've done zero speedwork, barring the odd lacklustre parkrun. A year ago I was on top form and managed PBs on consecutive weekends at Hampton and Thorpe Park, but I feel this is going to be more like two years ago when I was struggling back from that groin strain. It would be lovely to do it in under 2 hours but I think I would probably do better just to try and run it at MP.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Shades/Emmy/Cal - The cooking is extremely stressful, to be honest I'm winging it and not sure if I can keep this up for much longer. Everyone is really encouraging and appreciative but that's probably because they don't want to do it! Sylvie, the girl who does the dishes is a much more knowledgeable cook than me but she flatly refuses to cater for that many nor take charge of keeping control in the cantine. She is quite a reassuring prescence though and I'm glad she's there. The cook is off until the school holidays (9th Feb here) and I'm on the prayer mat that she'll be back after. Luckily she has her daily menus planned until then and I am just taking each week at a time. Bit like when I was following the P+D plan when I come to think of it. Just looking at the training for the week ahead as if you really thought about what was in front of you you'd pass out.

Anyway, got out for a 13k today (No school for primary children on a Wednesday here), was a really beautiful day and although I ran like a slug I enjoyed getting out there. At one point I had to stop as a farmer was changing his cows from one field to anither in front of me and they were blocking the road. Right at the back ponderously taking his time was the massive bull (These are Limousin cattle and the males are really big) The cows were mooing to the other cows in an adjacent field and when the bull came up to pass them he spotted another bull and they had what I can only describe as a moo off. They just bellowed and bellowed at each other while the two farmers were leaping round like a couple of fleas ineffectually swiping at the bull's backside with branches trying to get him to move on. He just completely ignored them until he's decided he'd given the loudest moo then majestically lumbered on. It was very funny and livened up my run no end.

Just skimmed through that and if you look closely I think I might have mentioned running once or twice.... B)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nick - for a permit they have to be affiliated to the appropriate organisation, ARC or UKA, that's an annual fee, £50 for ARC don't know for UKA.   ARC race permits are £25 per race, not sure about UKA, but it means you have to stick to the rules which probably means having medical services available, expensive now.  Also risk assessments have to be done if they're not already in place and other paperwork.   Race levies may be due too post race.

Big G - Foxy will get more entries if his races can be used for GFA

Yes, all Scottish races are licensed by SAL. 

Where's the Humdinger Half, never heard of it, might pencil it in for another year.   Don't want to race this February as I have a high mileage training month planned.

Ian - glad you managed your recovery run.   I had expected you to be hobbling at this stage with that achilles so I think you're doing really well

steven - well done for finally getting out for a run and battling the elements.

mamafox - I'm sure you're doing a brilliant job with the cooking, but it must be very hard work and so stressful.

Great incident with the cattle, I'd have loved that, glad you managed to get out for a run yesterday.

Colder today and no rain, had a good run.   Starting to get lighter, maybe next week I can do the return run on today's route by the back road :)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mama-Must have been very funny watching the farmers.
    Shades-physio seemed happy last night,said the achilles has thickened up and was swollen but when i told him about pain etc he said that's good news,told me to take it easy for a week or so,which I was planning anyway,then slowly increase mileage again and see how it goes.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Shades, I had quite a long conversation with Foxy and he said that on the 8yrs he's been doing the races, only two people got GFA times, so he generally doesn't get the permits anymore.

Humdinger is in Taunton and it's a road race on 11th Feb.  Not sure if this is going to come out but this is the profile.  Details here: http://www.runningforeverrunningclub.org.uk/humdinger/course/

• Options
    Big G - That looks like a really tough course!! Although it's good that after 9.5 miles it's downhill to the finish!
    MF - Nice running and bull story. Hope they find a cook soon.

8 miles with strides today. Easy pace and felt OK, quite warm though! Rest day tomorrow.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, Tavy 13 is similar, which I'm doing in March.  Not sure if Jelly/Shades are doing it too.

• Options
    Oh those look "fun", Big G!
    mamafox, loved your description of the moo-off. :lol:

Steve, 8 miles for me today too - and I was very appreciatitve of the sunshine. Weather like this makes it so much more pleasurable. But then I guess what separates us from the more casual runners is getting through a long run in sleet in the middle of winter (because that marathon isn't going to run itself!)

Anyway, I did my 8 as a progression. It wasn't a very smooth progression, admittedly - some miles were only 6 seconds faster than the preceeding one but some were a lot faster. I tend to go by feel, and it's been a while since I've done one of these. Main thing was I wanted to test my paces before Hampton Court, given that it's only three weeks away. I went from 11:08 for the first mile down to 9:45 for mile 7, then just caned the last mile and did it in 9:03. That last mile felt pretty hard so I doubt very much if I'll be able to go sub-2 at Hampton. I probably shouldn't try, but I know sometimes when I get my race head on I find it hard not to push. Eh well.

Hamstring was the worst of my grumbles today. I have quite a few niggles so I'm trying to keep on top of the stretching and rolling.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I'm doing Tavy13 I did look at Humdinger but I have 10 mile race following weekend. Might change my mind and run really easy. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's great news from the physio, looks like you're making a good recovery despite running a good marathon time too :) 

Big G - well generally a lot of Foxy's runners are doing multiples and/or pottering around so not bothered about times.   But for those looking for a GFA course then word will get round, we'll have to see if those 2 runners get their times first.   But I'm sure there are many runners that have run GFA times on Foxy's courses but not mentioned it as they probably have the times from another race and many don't want to do London anyway.

That Humdinger looks great, I'm tempted but will resist for this year anyway.   

Yes, I'm already entered for Tavy 13, I loved that race last year :)   I would prefer the start of the Humdinger though, a steep hill in the first mile of Tavy 13 I do find that hard.

Steve - told you we'd send you some warmer weather :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, yeah they're toughies but good training for DD!

I did a roughly 2.5 mile walk on Berry Head in Brixham with the step-dog and friend (for coffee/cake obviously!).  Then I did a 9-mile run from Berry Head to Paignton, mainly along the coast path (I went up and down Brixham breakwater as well, which is half a mile long).  Lovely run with fantastic views, and great running weather.  Really enjoyed that one today.
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    steven - sounds horrible conditions, well done for getting out there.

MF - do you every have an uneventful day? Great story about the bulls! Hope the cooking is going ok. Glad you have managed to get out for a run :)

Ian - recovery run done, you must be feeling better ;)

Big G - those are some serious hills! Will certainly be good training.

Cal - good progression run. For your half I'd set the target of running it at even splits, which would make it a really good training run. Like you say, a PB isn't really on the cards as you're not that long back from your time out.

Had a good run last night, 8 miles at about 8 min miling, then 4 and a bit home after at about 8:45s with a friend. We stopped for about 5 mins between the runs, which I don't think helped. Including the morning jog from home to the train station and from the station to the running club, it made 16.8 miles for the day, which is pretty good - just looked on Strava and that makes it my 2nd biggest week since June, from one day's running haha. Looks like I will get to parkrun on Saturday, not sure yet if I'll be running with someone or going for a PB. Hopefully get an easy run in on Sunday morning too.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nick, I put Tavy 13 into our club's championship.  I'm sure the runners will thank me for it... ;)  
  • Options
    Big G-  those hills look frightening I still think I would love to give it a go tho.
    Cal- good running nothing wrong in not getting a pb after all your injuries recently.
    Nick- impressive running there.

5 miles tempo for me today to which I really enjoyed.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping it works in my favour Big G and they all choose a flat one lol 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Jelly, maybe :)  It really is a great race - I've done it twice.  Obviously challenging, nice views, cheap to enter at under £10 (if you don't get the T Shirt), very friendly, and starts and ends on the running track.  There have only been 3 or 4 Trotters the times I've done it, so it'll be interesting to see how many do it this year (I see 10 have entered so far).
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jelly, as an aside, I mentioned a couple of days ago that I have a chance of finishing the CC this year, but one race I could do (Fast Friday 10K) is only a couple of days after a marathon I'm doing.  So I'm not sure whether to do it and kind of jog around as best I can (knowing that I won't get the points I could get if I was fresher), or miss it and maybe not finish the CC.  Decisions, decisions!  It's not 100% I'll be able to finish the CC anyway, but I'm not sure what to do at the moment.  I need to make my mind up as that race is filling up quickly!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes it's starting to feel a bit better now,still sore to touch and wary about how to increase my mileage again.
    Big G-Couple of nice races there,bit far for me unfortunately.
    Pity I'm away in March as London big half is on,never even considered it but they've opened gfa for it and I could qualify as it's 1:30,don't want to do it but be nice to qualify for a race.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Big G, does Fast Friday have transfer list, something a marathon doesn't affect how we think it will both positively or negative. It's a fast course but not challenging if you decide to run slower pace. I can't do it as won't get time off work, like I was saying I haven't got much room for missing races as there are lots I can't do as few following important races and few bank holiday dates. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Nick - you certainly did a great time management job there getting as many miles in as possible.

Big G - I think a lot of the Trotters should thank you for putting Tavy 13 in the club champs, some of them must be planning to do DD later in the year.

I think you should enter the 10k and see how you are on the day, you recover quickly now and you did a good 5k two days after a marathon last year.   

I did a 10 mile race PB 2 days after a marathon once without trying too hard, still my 10 mile PB incidentally.

steven - there must be some decent hilly races in your area too, look for club races rather than the big commercial events which are often aimed at those that never want to try running a hill.

Ian - nice easy recovery from your marathon and if you're ready to resume running, every other day to start with, no hills no fast stuff and keep initial runs to no further than 5 or 6 miles.  

Great that you have a GFA time for the London half even if you don't want to use it :) 

Not as cold as I expected this morning for my run, thought there might be a touch of frost but we've escaped that.  Nice easy run :)
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Ian - that must be nice to know that you could qualify via GFA if you wanted! If it works like the marathon then your GFA time would be valid for next year as well.

I think it was a good thing that I was a bit slower on my long run this week than last, I have recovered much better. Legs were a bit stiff in the evening but cycling to the station was hard work on Thursday morning. But I didn't feel any effects playing squash last night and feel fine today. Actually had a decent night's sleep last night for once as my daughter only woke once. Fingers crossed that becomes a habit!

Hope I can go for a PB tomorrow at parkrun, feel like I'm in good shape so will be interested to see how I go. Looks like it will be not far above freezing and there is rain forecast but may hold off until after parkrun.
  • Options
    Ugh, another spanner in the works. When I was at hot pilates yesterday I noticed a patch of rash on my ribs. Wasn't sore or itchy so I put some tea tree on it when I got home, but then when I looked at it more closely I started to wonder if it wasn't shingles. I've had that before, though not for years (I got it when I was 28 after a stressful break-up). I felt fine, but woke up this morning feeling a bit off. My calf was feeling rather tight so I decided I'd rest anyway, and booked a doc's appointment. He said he couldn't say for sure but it could be shingles and I gave me a prescription for aciclovir and said to monitor it and if it got scabby and tingly then I should start taking it. So yeah, hoping it's just a little rash but the fact I feel a bit run down today makes me think the old bugger's back.
    I've got a running technique workshop booked for tomorrow so hopefully that won't be too strenuous. I'll have to see about a long run on Sunday.
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Oh, get well soon Cal! Fingers crossed it's just some random rash and not shingles.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Cal.  Hopefully it's not shingles.

Shades, you're a bad influence ;)  Fast Friday 10K entered!

Half-forced myself out the door for a long run today as the weather wasn't too bad (no rain forecast).  Wasn't really feeling it but I'm happy to have done 16-miles on quite a hilly route (1300ft), although I have to say the last couple were more of a run/walk.  Wasn't concerned about pace at all whilst out there (wasn't looking at my watch) and stopped a couple of times for a breather or to admire the view, but it's all miles in the bank.  Took me about 2hr45 in total so works out at about 10:20 average when I checked at the end.
  • Options
    JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Cal, hopefully it’s something trivial, so frustrating after getting over the injuries.
    I did 11 miles this morning, quite cold but almost no wind so very pleasant conditions, I felt my left calf getting really tight between 7 & 8 miles so stopped and stretched it which seemed to work. I had a similar feeling there a few years back, ignored it and it tore, lesson learnt, take notice when your body speaks to you!
  • Options
    Cal- Here's hoping it's not shingles.
    Big G - That's a good effort there sometimes it's good to take your time and admire the surroundings.
    Shades- I'll definitely take a look for the hilly events. To be fair where I live there a lots of routes I can do training runs on that involves some decent hills.

Woke up to a thick frost this morning which forced me to slow the pace down a little so went out a done 5 miles easy.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nick-Good luck with the pb attempt.
    Big G-Nice distance and elevation.
    Cal-Hopefully it passes without turning nasty.
    Jugula-well done on listening to the body,I've done the same today,felt good this morning then achilles felt sorer than normal so decided not to run before work,need to ease my way back.